Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-20-2019, 08:32 AM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 431

Ilhan Omar - A thread about her marriage and immigration history.


This is my first post on this forum. No, I'm not a previously banned member. No, I'm not a troll. I have been lurking this forum for a few months now after finding this place through some google searches. "The Pit" seems to be the most appropriate place to post this in, but if its not, my apologies.

Now that that's out of the way:

Quote:
Please read the verified evidence below — and read it alongside the three years of verified evidence published by Scott Johnson, Preya Samsundar, and myself (our work is linked here). The answers to those questions about 2009 appear to give probable cause to investigate Omar for eight instances of perjury, immigration fraud, marriage fraud, up to eight years of state and federal tax fraud, two years of federal student loan fraud, and even bigamy.

To be clear: The facts describe perhaps the most extensive spree of illegal misconduct committed by a House member in American history.
This is not getting much play in the mainstream media, but it really does seem like Omar married her brother to get him American citizenship, among other things.

In my opinion, this needs to be investigated and if true, she needs to be prosecuted.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archiv...rious-case.php

https://twitter.com/realDSteinberg/s...89152589754377
  #2  
Old 07-22-2019, 09:14 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
This is not getting much play in the mainstream media, but it really does seem like Omar married her brother to get him American citizenship, among other things.
Too bad there isn't an ultra-conservative, liberal hating news network that would LOVE to publish this.
  #3  
Old 07-22-2019, 09:43 AM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,912
For the sake of argument, I'm going to assume everything the OP's citations say is true.

Here is my response:

So? I literally could not care less.

Last edited by JohnT; 07-22-2019 at 09:43 AM.
  #4  
Old 07-22-2019, 09:45 AM
Guest-starring: Id!'s Avatar
Guest-starring: Id! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 4,303
This thread wouldn't have sufficed for this topic?
heh - ninja'ed by seconds

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 07-22-2019 at 09:46 AM.
  #5  
Old 07-22-2019, 09:45 AM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,549
Existing thread. Still listed on Page 1, friend. Take a look.
  #6  
Old 07-22-2019, 09:48 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 36,133
As far as I can tell, there's still no actual evidence (aside from a maybe-exists, maybe-it-doesn't supposed social media post about nieces/nephews that may or may not have been made by the person in question) that she married her brother. And if I understand immigration law at the time correctly, there would have been no immigration motive -- her brother would have had the same ability to immigrate as her husband.

Sounds a lot like birtherism to me -- bullshit evidence, tons of innuendo from internet nutbars, and (unfortunately) significant numbers of Americans who latch on because they're eager for any reason, even bullshit ones, to cast aspersions on dark-skinned people who reach high office.
  #7  
Old 07-22-2019, 12:28 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 22,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
As far as I can tell, there's still no actual evidence (aside from a maybe-exists, maybe-it-doesn't supposed social media post about nieces/nephews that may or may not have been made by the person in question) that she married her brother. And if I understand immigration law at the time correctly, there would have been no immigration motive -- her brother would have had the same ability to immigrate as her husband.

Sounds a lot like birtherism to me -- bullshit evidence, tons of innuendo from internet nutbars, and (unfortunately) significant numbers of Americans who latch on because they're eager for any reason, even bullshit ones, to cast aspersions on dark-skinned people who reach high office.
Dad had an affair. They're only half siblings. If so, I assume that, that would negate the immigration advantage.

You would also need to look at the timelines. Plausibly, Elmi isn't the most organized person in the world, decides at the last minute that he'll come to try living with the rest of the family while going to college in the US and, at the point he makes the announcement, the amount of time it will take for approval is insufficient. The marriage route might be the only pathway to get him over in time for school, without having to wait a year or two. And maybe Elmi isn't real sold on the whole America thing to begin with (he does ultimately decided to go back to the UK, after all) so he's going to go to a university in the UK if the visa thing can't be figured out in time, rather than work at McD's for a year or two waiting for things to be figured out.

Most likely it would have been a longer process, after all. Whatever caused the family to be split up would have to be explained and the family connection established. You're fighting both a perjury accusation from previous disclosures of your family size and having to establish a new legal record that goes against previous ones, which isn't the favorite thing of a bureaucracy. What's on paper is always more believable than the actual person's word.
  #8  
Old 07-22-2019, 01:27 PM
Lance Turbo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 4,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Dad had an affair. They're only half siblings. If so, I assume that, that would negate the immigration advantage.
Your assumption is incorrect.

Quote:
The definition of sibling in the U.S. immigration law includes people who were the children of at least one common parent; that is, it includes half-blood siblings.
Link
  #9  
Old 07-22-2019, 01:38 PM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 8,305
I once knew a woman who wanted to get her hair done for free so she married her brusher.
  #10  
Old 07-22-2019, 09:19 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 22,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
Your assumption is incorrect.



Link
Good to know. That would certainly make the odds lower that the brother hypothesis is correct, though it still doesn't explain how it came to be that Omar ended up cohabiting with two husbands at the same time. And it is still peculiar that one of the two would have the name Dad Jr., though that does happen sometimes by happenstance and could simply be a happenstance.

I have not endorsed that the theory is true, merely that there's sufficient evidence that something funny was going on that it would probably be unwise for the Democrats to rest their political fortunes on Omar. Trying to make her a political star, because Trump attacks her, is unwise.

It should also be pointed out that her grandpa worked at a fairly high level in the Somali government during the period of its executing a genocide. There may be other reasons that the family doesn't want people looking too hard into their past.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 07-22-2019 at 09:21 PM.
  #11  
Old 07-22-2019, 09:42 PM
El_Kabong's Avatar
El_Kabong is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Smack Dab in the Middle
Posts: 15,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Good to know. That would certainly make the odds lower that the brother hypothesis is correct, though it still doesn't explain how it came to be that Omar ended up cohabiting with two husbands at the same time. And it is still peculiar that one of the two would have the name Dad Jr., though that does happen sometimes by happenstance and could simply be a happenstance.

I have not endorsed that the theory is true, merely that there's sufficient evidence that something funny was going on that it would probably be unwise for the Democrats to rest their political fortunes on Omar. Trying to make her a political star, because Trump attacks her, is unwise.

It should also be pointed out that her grandpa worked at a fairly high level in the Somali government during the period of its executing a genocide. There may be other reasons that the family doesn't want people looking too hard into their past.
Ah, an interesting, albeit rare, sighting of an embryonic Gish Gallop.

In any event, there's clearly Something Funny going on. Something Funny. Won't someone please ring up Bill Barr and get him to investigatin'?
  #12  
Old 07-22-2019, 09:42 PM
Lance Turbo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 4,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
It should also be pointed out that her grandpa worked at a fairly high level in the Somali government during the period of its executing a genocide. There may be other reasons that the family doesn't want people looking too hard into their past.
Wow. You buy tinfoil in bulk don't you?
  #13  
Old 07-23-2019, 07:19 AM
Cheesesteak's Avatar
Cheesesteak is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Lovely Montclair, NJ
Posts: 13,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
there's sufficient evidence that something funny was going on
I think there's sufficient evidence that you're too fucking stupid to know what evidence is.

Here is how evidence works. When you have evidence, you don't need to make up a fucking story to explain what happened, because the evidence tells you what happened.

Do you have evidence that Elmi is her brother? Or do you have stupid shit like he called her nieces and nephews his "nieces and nephews?" My wife does that with my extended family, and I'm pretty sure she isn't my sister.
  #14  
Old 07-22-2019, 10:01 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is online now
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 85,790
There's a lot of evidence, including her own admission and apology, that there were some paperwork problems with her marriage, that resulted in her having to pay a fine to the IRS. Nobody disputes this.

There's no evidence at all that she married her brother.

Repeating the evidence for the former over and over again does not constitute evidence of the latter.
  #15  
Old 07-22-2019, 10:12 AM
madmonk28 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 12,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
This is my first post on this forum. No, I'm not a previously banned member. No, I'm not a troll. I have been lurking this forum for a few months now after finding this place through some google searches. "The Pit" seems to be the most appropriate place to post this in, but if its not, my apologies.

Now that that's out of the way:



This is not getting much play in the mainstream media, but it really does seem like Omar married her brother to get him American citizenship, among other things.

In my opinion, this needs to be investigated and if true, she needs to be prosecuted.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archiv...rious-case.php

https://twitter.com/realDSteinberg/s...89152589754377
Why, you're just asking questions. How very reasonable! and bullshit that you're not a sock or a banned poster coming back.
  #16  
Old 07-22-2019, 10:40 AM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 19,562
So, Annoyed:
  • Join date = Oct 2017.
  • Lurking for a "few months"
  • First post = July 20, 2019

What have you been doing the rest of the time?
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #17  
Old 07-22-2019, 11:07 AM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
What have you been doing the rest of the time?
Training apparently takes longer for some people than others.
  #18  
Old 07-22-2019, 11:07 AM
Vinyl Turnip is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
So, Annoyed:
  • Join date = Oct 2017.
  • Lurking for a "few months"
  • First post = July 20, 2019

What have you been doing the rest of the time?
Shaking his head, tapping his foot, rolling his eyes and sighing theatrically.
  #19  
Old 07-22-2019, 10:34 AM
AK84 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 16,536
Why would she marry her brother?
Pretty sure immigration asks about siblings, and she would have been caught out.....
��
  #20  
Old 07-22-2019, 10:43 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 63,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
This is my first post on this forum.
After registering a year and a half ago this is your first post in any forum, and you use it to post already debunked right-wing glurge that is still being discussed in another thread.
  #21  
Old 07-22-2019, 10:48 AM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 9,443
Had the sense enough to put it in the Pit, that's gotta count for something. I for one am on the edge of my seat waiting to see what else Annoyed has to say on the subject.
  #22  
Old 07-22-2019, 10:59 AM
Not Carlson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Japan
Posts: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
This is my first post on this forum. No, I'm not a previously banned member. No, I'm not a troll. I have been lurking this forum for a few months now after finding this place through some google searches.
I guess 2 years could still be considered "a few months". That's some dedicated lurking.


Quote:
This is not getting much play in the mainstream media, but it really does seem like Omar married her brother to get him American citizenship, among other things.
Some quickie questions you might want to ask yourself:

1) Considering Omar has been the focus of so much news, and the focus of so many attacks of late, why do you think this story hasn't gained more traction in the mainstream media?
Not juicy enough? Conspiratorial coverup? Disinterest in the private lives of public figures?

2) Does Omar actually have a brother named Elmi?

3) Does Elmi now have US citizenship?

4) If Elmi were her brother, wouldn't he already be eligible for US citizenship?

5) What, if anything, do you mean by "among other things"? And If you don't actually have anything else to suggest, why did you feel the need to vaguely imply other nefarious deeds?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/il...marry-brother/
  #23  
Old 09-11-2019, 07:04 PM
Not Carlson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Japan
Posts: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
....Says the angry person saying angry things.
Hello. Non-angry person here with some questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Carlson View Post
Some quickie questions you might want to ask yourself:

1) Considering Omar has been the focus of so much news, and the focus of so many attacks of late, why do you think this story hasn't gained more traction in the mainstream media?
Not juicy enough? Conspiratorial coverup? Disinterest in the private lives of public figures?

2) Does Omar actually have a brother named Elmi?

3) Does Elmi now have US citizenship?

4) If Elmi were her brother, wouldn't he already be eligible for US citizenship?

5) What, if anything, do you mean by "among other things"? And If you don't actually have anything else to suggest, why did you feel the need to vaguely imply other nefarious deeds?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/il...marry-brother/
Thanks.
  #24  
Old 09-11-2019, 07:06 PM
Lance Turbo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 4,375
Steve King Quotes...

"I would ask you to go back through history and figure out where are these contributions that have been made by these other categories of people that you are talking about, where did any other subgroup of people contribute more to civilization? Than — than western civilization itself that's rooted in western Europe, eastern Europe and the United States of America, and every place where Christianity settled the world."

"We can't restore our civilization with somebody else's babies."

"I’d like to see an America that’s just so homogenous that we look a lot the same."

"I guess I’m going to have to go get some dirt from Mexico to grow the next batch. Well, yeah, there’s plenty of dirt. And it’s coming from the West Coast, too, and a lot of other places, besides. This is the most dirt we’ve ever seen."

"White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?"
  #25  
Old 09-11-2019, 10:06 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 22,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
Steve King Quotes...
Any chance that one of them is older than the other by a bit?
  #26  
Old 09-11-2019, 10:10 PM
Lance Turbo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 4,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Any chance that one of them is older than the other by a bit?
Maybe, but I think they're all pretty recent. They're all more recent than Omar's 'hypnotize' Tweet as far as I know.

Is this in any way relevant? If so, why?

I feel like you're getting at something. Could you just come out and post it?
  #27  
Old 09-12-2019, 03:05 AM
Chisquirrel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Any chance that one of them is older than the other by a bit?
Given that ALL of those quotes come from the last two years, and don't even include anything with the interview with Unzensuriert (a white supremacist website founded by an SS officer), I don't see your point.
  #28  
Old 09-14-2019, 11:41 AM
Not Carlson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Japan
Posts: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
That’s not the argument at hand.
Meanwhile, to the argument at hand:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Carlson View Post
Hello. Non-angry person here with some questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Carlson View Post
Some quickie questions you might want to ask yourself:

1) Considering Omar has been the focus of so much news, and the focus of so many attacks of late, why do you think this story hasn't gained more traction in the mainstream media?
Not juicy enough? Conspiratorial coverup? Disinterest in the private lives of public figures?

2) Does Omar actually have a brother named Elmi?

3) Does Elmi now have US citizenship?

4) If Elmi were her brother, wouldn't he already be eligible for US citizenship?

5) What, if anything, do you mean by "among other things"? And If you don't actually have anything else to suggest, why did you feel the need to vaguely imply other nefarious deeds?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/il...marry-brother/
Thanks.
  #29  
Old 09-14-2019, 11:50 AM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Carlson View Post
Meanwhile, to the argument at hand:
I didn’t answer any of this because the author, you, and several others clearly didn’t read the OP/link where all of those questions were addressed.

Which is not even remotely surprising.
  #30  
Old 09-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Not Carlson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Japan
Posts: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
I didn’t answer any of this because the author, you, and several others clearly didn’t read the OP/link where all of those questions were addressed.

Which is not even remotely surprising.
Firstly, thank you for reminding me that I’m the author of those questions that I wrote to you.
Good to have that clarified.

The article presents a claim that Ilhan Omar has siblings with the family name of Said Elmi.
It tries to back this up with a game of connect-the-dots, making several leaps of logic, tossing in a generous dose of hyperbole, and using bold, assertive language.
What it doesn’t actually do is demonstrate that Ilhan Omar actually, factually has a brother named Ahmed Nur Said Elmi.
Unless you can point me to the part of the article where it conclusively establishes that connection.

Given your umbrage at the many “hypocrites” in this thread, I take it that you value honesty.
Could you then kindly provide your own honest answers to my questions?
The OP article itself does not touch on No.1, does not definitively answer No.2, and does not adequately address No.3 or No.4.
No.5 pertains not the article, but to your own remarks that Ohmar “married her brother to get him American citizenship, among other things”.

Quote:
1) Considering Omar has been the focus of so much news, and the focus of so many attacks of late, why do you think this story hasn't gained more traction in the mainstream media?
Not juicy enough? Conspiratorial coverup? Disinterest in the private lives of public figures?

2) Does Omar actually have a brother named Elmi?

3) Does Elmi now have US citizenship?

4) If Elmi were her brother, wouldn't he already be eligible for US citizenship?

5) What, if anything, do you mean by "among other things"? And If you don't actually have anything else to suggest, why did you feel the need to vaguely imply other nefarious deeds?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/il...marry-brother/

With regard to No.3 and 4, I'd like to point out the following statement from the article: “Ilhan and Ahmed married in 2009, presumably to benefit in some way from a fraudulent marriage,” which suggests that the author doesn’t even seem to know what that benefit was. (But we can be absolutely sure it was presumably fraudulent!)
  #31  
Old 10-03-2019, 09:24 PM
Northeast Refugee is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Carlson View Post
This "fact-checking" site claims it's "unconfirmed"? How the heck is it "unconfirmed"? She either married her brother or she didn't.
  #32  
Old 10-03-2019, 10:41 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is online now
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 37,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeast Refugee View Post
This "fact-checking" site claims it's "unconfirmed"? How the heck is it "unconfirmed"? She either married her brother or she didn't.
Unproven (there's no proof she married her brother).
Where did you get "unconfirmed", jackass?
  #33  
Old 10-03-2019, 10:44 PM
Northeast Refugee is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Unproven (there's no proof she married her brother).
Where did you get "unconfirmed", jackass?
How the heck is it "unproven", asshole?
She either married her brother or she didn't.
  #34  
Old 10-03-2019, 10:54 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is online now
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 37,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeast Refugee View Post
How the heck is it "unproven", asshole?
She either married her brother or she didn't.
In other words, the lying sacks of shit (much like you) that claimed she married her brother provided no information to prove it.

You're even more stupid and dishonest than Annoyed.
  #35  
Old 10-04-2019, 12:38 AM
Smapti is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeast Refugee View Post
How the heck is it "unproven", asshole?
She either married her brother or she didn't.
The assertion that she married her brother is what "unproven" refers to.
  #36  
Old 07-22-2019, 11:08 AM
Inigo Montoya's Avatar
Inigo Montoya is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: On the level, if inclined
Posts: 16,264
Annoyed is just a Russian shit-stirrer. Let's fuck with him (if he ever comes back).
  #37  
Old 07-22-2019, 11:20 AM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9,865
сообщается.
  #38  
Old 07-22-2019, 11:29 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 11,265
Well, I'm....annoyed by his/her presence. Here's to hoping he/she doesn't come back. At least not today.
  #39  
Old 07-22-2019, 11:34 AM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
This is my first post on this forum.
Quote:
"The Pit" seems to be the most appropriate place to post this in
I think these are the only true statements from the OP. Everything else was BS, including not being a sock or troll.
  #40  
Old 07-22-2019, 11:55 AM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,912
Nothing speaks to one's innocence more than beginning a convo with a list of rules one hasn't broken.

"Officer, I surely wasn't speeding and that kicking you hear in my trunk is merely the muffler, and this is ketchup on my shirt."
  #41  
Old 07-22-2019, 02:02 PM
OttoDaFe's Avatar
OttoDaFe is offline
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Soviet of Washington
Posts: 2,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Nothing speaks to one's innocence more than beginning a convo with a list of rules one hasn't broken.

"Officer, I surely wasn't speeding and that kicking you hear in my trunk is merely the muffler, and this is ketchup on my shirt."
Reminds me of a certain public official crowing about being a "stable genius." Just as genuine stable geniuses/genii don't feel a need to tout the fact, neither do genuine non-socks/trolls.
__________________
Forget gravity, black holes, dark matter and all those bit players; irony is by far the most powerful force in the universe.
  #42  
Old 07-22-2019, 11:57 AM
Inigo Montoya's Avatar
Inigo Montoya is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: On the level, if inclined
Posts: 16,264
Why, he has binders full of lists of rules he hasn't broken. Totes legit.
  #43  
Old 07-22-2019, 12:02 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 63,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Why, he has binders full of lists of rules he hasn't broken. Totes legit.
Totes Legit-Sounds like a Dick Tracy villain.
  #44  
Old 07-22-2019, 12:11 PM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 8,305
I once knew a woman who married her broker. They really bonded.
  #45  
Old 07-22-2019, 12:14 PM
Just Asking Questions is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,625
Serious (just asking!) question: what's the logistics of making most-likely-troll accounts and letting them sit for two years before they get used? What's the point?
  #46  
Old 07-22-2019, 12:21 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Serious (just asking!) question: what's the logistics of making most-likely-troll accounts and letting them sit for two years before they get used? What's the point?
Speculation here, but you make a sock as an “spare” account when trolling because you figure you’ll get banned eventually. When you do get banned, you start posting as your “lurker” account and people can’t say “Jojo got banned and the next day Bobo is created, obvious sock”.

Also, some forums limit what you can do until an account has been around a while. Making alts ahead of time gets you around that when you have to shed one mask and wear another. I don’t believe SDMB has any such rules but once you get in that habit elsewhere it becomes habit.
  #47  
Old 07-22-2019, 01:37 PM
Vinyl Turnip is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Speculation here, but you make a sock as an “spare” account when trolling because you figure you’ll get banned eventually. When you do get banned, you start posting as your “lurker” account and people can’t say “Jojo got banned and the next day Bobo is created, obvious sock”.

Also, some forums limit what you can do until an account has been around a while. Making alts ahead of time gets you around that when you have to shed one mask and wear another. I don’t believe SDMB has any such rules but once you get in that habit elsewhere it becomes habit.
Less lazy trolls make an occasional post during their dormant period—typically something sufficiently anodyne or inscrutable to avoid attracting attention— and when they do "go live," start off slowly and make a minimal effort to disguise their online voice, so it isn't instantly, glaringly obvious to everyone that they're the latest avatar of a pathetic sad sack whose other main sock account was recently banned or suspended.

Our newly "woke" OP is not a less lazy troll.
  #48  
Old 07-22-2019, 01:41 PM
E-DUB's Avatar
E-DUB is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Less lazy trolls make an occasional post during their dormant period—typically something sufficiently anodyne or inscrutable to avoid attracting attention— and when they do "go live," start off slowly and make a minimal effort to disguise their online voice, so it isn't instantly, glaringly obvious to everyone that they're the latest avatar of a pathetic sad sack whose other main sock account was recently banned or suspended.

Our newly "woke" OP is not a less lazy troll.
One problem is that our conservative friends have made up SOOOOOOOOO much crazy shit that, even if they came up with something like this and it was TRUE no one would believe it. It's "The boy who cried wolf".
  #49  
Old 07-22-2019, 12:33 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 36,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Dad had an affair. They're only half siblings. If so, I assume that, that would negate the immigration advantage.



You would also need to look at the timelines. Plausibly, Elmi isn't the most organized person in the world, decides at the last minute that he'll come to try living with the rest of the family while going to college in the US and, at the point he makes the announcement, the amount of time it will take for approval is insufficient. The marriage route might be the only pathway to get him over in time for school, without having to wait a year or two. And maybe Elmi isn't real sold on the whole America thing to begin with (he does ultimately decided to go back to the UK, after all) so he's going to go to a university in the UK if the visa thing can't be figured out in time, rather than work at McD's for a year or two waiting for things to be figured out.



Most likely it would have been a longer process, after all. Whatever caused the family to be split up would have to be explained and the family connection established. You're fighting both a perjury accusation from previous disclosures of your family size and having to establish a new legal record that goes against previous ones, which isn't the favorite thing of a bureaucracy. What's on paper is always more believable than the actual person's word.
Very interesting guesses. Perhaps you should write a short story?
__________________
My new novel Spindown
  #50  
Old 07-22-2019, 01:02 PM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
Gosh, there was already a thread in this forum about it and it wasn't going well for the OP. Did you really need to start another one?

Frankly, I don't believe it for a minute and I don't fucking care about the issue. I'm just annoyed that this has become the same sort of time wasting, people insulting bullshit as questioning Obama's birth certificate. But then, I don't expect any better from people who think locking children in cages with no toothbrushes or bedding and making them drink from a toilet is the right thing to do.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017