Old 12-28-2018, 03:11 AM

At age 31, I don't belong in this thread anymore than kids belong on the lawns of some cranky people, but I'd always grown up watching pro sports with athletes being older than me, and it suddenly occurred to me of late that Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles is two years younger than me, and not just that, but many of the college football athletes I watch on NCAAF are a full 10-12 years younger than me. That's just unnerving.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:26 AM

I remember house calls from the doctor being a regular thing. The milk man delivering all kinds of dairy products to the door. We had an insulated box and a fan-like paper device that we could set to show what we wanted. We also had a bread delivery truck that had all sorts of bakery items - he came daily as well.

Perhaps my most poignant memory is from around 6 years old (1957). All the mothers were sitting on the steps of our apartment building, chatting in the cool of the evening after dinner dishes were done. We kids were playing up and down the block. We lived near the county hospital and heard sirens and then learned an 18-year-old had been killed in a motorcycle accident. The mothers got all serious and talked about how sad it was--he was so young. And I clearly remember thinking "18!! He was 18! That's old. He could drive! That's really old."
Old 12-28-2018, 04:36 AM

Maybe I'm considered young (almost 40), but I remembered having this conversation with my nephew;
me; "when I was in school, having a Sony Walkman is very cool.."
nephew ; "what's Sony Walkman.. ??"
me;"............"

note; not a native English speaker, so sorry for the grammar mistake(s).
Old 12-28-2018, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickLondon View Post
... my mother had put her foot down for a few years.
My mother and father refused to get a colour television because "colour TV hasn't been perfected yet. Colour TV will destroy you kids' eyesight." Then, suddenly, because my sister was on a TV show, we got a colour TV.

Apparently, the perfection of colour TV coincided with my sister's appearance on a TV show.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nova View Post
Maybe I'm considered young (almost 40), but I remembered having this conversation with my nephew;
me; "when I was in school, having a Sony Walkman is very cool.."
nephew ; "what's Sony Walkman.. ??"
me;"............"
Reminds me of a conversation at work about a year and a half ago. Some Dope conversation had caused me to look up Wernher von Braun's Wikipedia page, which mentioned that he was buried in Ivy Hill Cemetery in Alexandria. Which is where my father is buried.

So I'm talking with my co-workers (one was 22 then, the other late 30s) and I tell them I've just found out that Wernher von Braun is buried in the same cemetery my father is buried in. "Who's Wernher von Braun?" I give a brief synopsis, and mention that von Braun was the subject of a song by Tom Lehrer. "Who's Tom Lehrer?"

I'm 64, closing in on 65. It's just a number, but I'm going to miss being able to sing, "will you still need me, will you still feed me?" when I'm asked my age.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:27 AM

I remember when dinosaurs were extinct. Now I eat them often.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

This year I was talking to a young man wearing an Oklahoma City hat. I mentioned it was really bad what happened in Oklahoma City.

His response? "What happened there?

People don't know about the greatest act of terrorism by an American against his country?

Damn, I'm old.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
This year I was talking to a young man wearing an Oklahoma City hat. I mentioned it was really bad what happened in Oklahoma City.

People don't know about the greatest act of terrorism by an American against his country?

Damn, I'm old.
See, l don't understand this. I am familiar with events that happened before I was born, not just major events, but movies, celebrities, popular songs, objects (like candlestick phones, though I've never used one), and other cultural items from my parents' generation. I know who Artie Shaw and Glenn Miller are, and a couple of the songs they were known for. I know about sleeve garters and painting a line down the back of a woman's leg to simulate a stocking seam during the wartime nylon shortage.

Maybe it's because my parents sat around and talked about stuff. I dunno.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 12-28-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
At 47, I'm in that weird "not quite old, but no longer young" area. Middle-aged is a good term.
Sounds like you're a prime candidate to appreciate Suzi Quatro's 48 Crash.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
I remember when Bill Gates said that "64K of memory" should be enough for anyone!
I remember having 64K of memory; I spent my teen years fiddling with a Commodore 64. This was preceded by my elementary-school years, during which I played games in the classroom on a Commodore PET, after having loaded said games very slowly from a cassette tape-based storage system. The games were either text-based or used ASCII-symbol graphics to create coarse images. Oregon Trail was a mainframe computer game that had been ported to microcomputers like the PET; that was a favorite. The quality of today's video game graphics (and the fact that you can enjoy them on a device that fits in the palm of your hand) was inconceivable back then. You couldn't even get graphics that good using the best supercomputers of the day (although to be fair, part of this was that displays were just 480-line CRTS, not 4K flatscreens).

As a kid I remember thinking that in 2000 (kind of a cultural milepost year), I would be 30. That was strange to contemplate. Prince's hit song became seriously outdated at that point (although still fun to listen to). I've mentioned before in other "things that remind you you're old" threads that one of the reminders that gets to me is the fact that all of the people who were healthy, young, productive adults during my youth are now elderly or dead.
People speak of The Beatles, Jagger, Dylan, but there are so many more. Example, Arnold Schwarzenegger - I once knew him as Conan the Barbarian and the Terminator, characters that embodied superhuman vigor and strength - is now 71, and recently underwent emergency open-heart surgery. Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush41 - all gone now. Carter likely will be gone soon too. When I was a kid, people who had fought in World War 2 were still a vital part of the labor force; now most of them are dead, and the few who remain are revered as national treasures.

While we're all discussing turning 64, I'll mention this line from a Simon and Garfunkel song ("Bookends"):

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&G
Can you imagine us years from today,
Sharing a parkbench quietly
How terribly strange to be seventy.
In this interview, Art Garfunkel discusses his thoughts when he wrote that line, and how he feels about being in his 70s now.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post

While we're all discussing turning 64, I'll mention this line from a Simon and Garfunkel song ("Bookends"):

In this interview, Art Garfunkel discusses his thoughts when he wrote that line, and how he feels about being in his 70s now.
Great interview(s). Simon & Garfunkel were the soundtrack of my senior year of college (1969-70).
Old 12-28-2018, 12:28 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Turned 64 this year. I don't really feel old, but after being out of commission for 2.5 months this summer due to foot surgery to remove a melanoma, I definitely feel the clock ticking.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:34 PM

Seems every year a celeb that was in their prime of their lives and on top of the world when I was younger dies, usually at "rightful" age. And I am older than they were at their prime. That's when I feel old.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:

Damn, I'm old.
Well, people don't tend to define their homes by one event the way they do other places. Also, people don't tend to talk about events that far in the past without some sort of lead up or specification. I wouldn't say "It's terrible what happened in Manhattan" to someone and expect them to know about 9/11. Or have my mind immediately go to the Birmingham campaign if Birmingham police were mentioned. If you mentioned the year of the event, it's a bit different.

Last edited by Tzigone; 12-28-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:

Damn, I'm old.
Well, there's more than one thing that happen(ed) in OKC. The Thunder losing in the NBA Finals? etc.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:50 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Asking what is good on the menu, and the waitperson suggests the half-sandwich and a cup of soup,
says "You can find it on the Senior Menu on the back page" then asks if I want the AARP discount.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:04 PM

College students didn't need to work, except maybe a summer job. Backpacking around Europe was a thing. There were lots of good jobs which required few skills. People retired on defined benefit pensions. Renting a one br apartment on a minimum wage job was possible. Hitchhiking, at least for white people, was possible. Cops didn't look like they were members of a SWAT team. There WERE no SWAT teams. Public transportation was reliable and cheap. Gas was cheap. The pot was awful and mostly seeds. There was no good beer. Or bread. Flying was easy; buy a ticket with cash and get on the plane. No ID required. Cars didn't last long. Getting 100,000 miles was extraordinary. Bodies rusted. No power steering or brakes. Women did not drive SUV sized vehicles. You needed to be a Teamster to crank the wheel. Employers were not abusive; they didn't want the union on their ass. And so on.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by race_to_the_bottom View Post
College students didn't need to work, except maybe a summer job. Backpacking around Europe was a thing. There were lots of good jobs which required few skills. People retired on defined benefit pensions. Renting a one br apartment on a minimum wage job was possible. Hitchhiking, at least for white people, was possible. Cops didn't look like they were members of a SWAT team. There WERE no SWAT teams. Public transportation was reliable and cheap. Gas was cheap. The pot was awful and mostly seeds. There was no good beer. Or bread. Flying was easy; buy a ticket with cash and get on the plane. No ID required. Cars didn't last long. Getting 100,000 miles was extraordinary. Bodies rusted. No power steering or brakes. Women did not drive SUV sized vehicles. You needed to be a Teamster to crank the wheel. Employers were not abusive; they didn't want the union on their ass. And so on.
"Bodies rusted." Sadly, that's my main problem these days...
Old 12-28-2018, 04:29 PM

I was talking to some of my relatives who are Post-Millennials (born 2000 or later) and none of them knew what cassettes were--either audio or VHS.
I'm sure they have no idea about rotary phones or payphones or typewriters or black and white television. One of them was surprised I still use a CRT television; he had never seen a working one before.

Also my brother-in-law took one of them for a ride in his old truck and they had no idea to use a window crank to put down a car window.

Speaking of payphones, I don't think I've even seen one in over ten years. (Granted I wasn't actually looking.) Are there places that still have them?
Old 12-28-2018, 09:00 PM

When I was born there weren't even 50 states yet. Hell, when my kid sister was born there weren't 50 states. She turned 60 on Christmas Eve.

I remember watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:59 PM

I remember hearing the Mario Lanza Drink Drink song on the radio. I'm 69 (and a half.)
Old 12-29-2018, 12:39 AM

I have money to a street person today and she said "Bless you Uncle.". *SIGH*

I remember when I used to call old people "Uncle". *Double SIGH*
Old 12-29-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbershoot View Post
When I was born there weren't even 50 states yet. Hell, when my kid sister was born there weren't 50 states. She turned 60 on Christmas Eve.

I remember watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan.
LOL. I tell my brothers and sisters I was the only one born in the STATE of Hawaii!
Old 12-29-2018, 03:07 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbershoot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
LOL. I tell my brothers and sisters I was the only one born in the STATE of Hawaii!
There's another one for me -- there were only 48 states when I was born.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 12-29-2018 at 03:08 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
I hate (almost) all music everyone is listening to.

I go to be early and get up before dawn.

Dinner must begin before 7:00 pm, and can be as early as 5:40

I go to more funerals than weddings.
Check.

Check.

Check.

Not quite there yet, phew.

I was thinking recently of my first year of University and realized that it was 26 years ago. OK, no real surprise here, just add 1 with every year that passes. But I started thinking : I was 18 then. I'm 44 now. When the same amount of time elapses, I'll be 70 .

Also, while looking at some almost-30-year-old pictures, I realized that not only I remembered that particular day very well but, more disturbingly, my father was younger then than I am now. In my mind, he is still in his 40s. In reality, he turned 72 last month and, to be honest, his age is starting to show.
Et d’où ma vie s’égoutte au moindre mouvement

Last edited by Les Espaces Du Sommeil; 12-29-2018 at 04:22 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:06 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
Speaking of payphones, I don't think I've even seen one in over ten years. (Granted I wasn't actually looking.) Are there places that still have them?
They were all over my county till very recently. There's a large Amish community here, but apparently no longer large enough to make pay phones worth the expense.

But if you watch old episodes of Rockford Files, you'll see Jim using them all the time!
Old 12-29-2018, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Around here, some pay phones have stickers on them that say "THIS PHONE WORKS."
Old 12-29-2018, 01:24 PM

Let me see.

I remember
Hot Rods, before muscle cars.
Bun boards,
Milk being picked up from the farms in Milk cans.
Listening to radio shows
Watching Walt Disney on TV when they were building Disneyland
USING SLIDE RULES
The phone had a 6 volt battery and you cranked the handle to get the operator

Oh and I remember a time when if I fell I bounced. Now I just go thud with no bounce.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Espaces Du Sommeil View Post
Check.

I was thinking recently of my first year of University and realized that it was 26 years ago. OK, no real surprise here, just add 1 with every year that passes. But I started thinking : I was 18 then. I'm 44 now. When the same amount of time elapses, I'll be 70 .

I some times think about the old training ship, TS Golden Bear, when I was attending the Maritime Academy. It has been replaced twice and they are now in need of replacing the Third Golden Bear.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
The thing that I find most alarming is that at age 70, I can see the end of my life. Let's say I live to be 95. That's only 25 years away. I can EASILY remember 25 years ago-- 1993. That was the day before yesterday.
That's what rattles me. I'm "only" in my mid-50s and though I'm healthy now, I'm surmising that by the time I hit 75 I'll be on borrowed time....some 20-something years from now...and the last 20 years was like a blur to me. It's just like you say: it may as well be the day before yesterday.

On the plus side, my parents were/are the first in my family to live past their mid-60s. Still doing pretty good in their late 70s. Maybe the sliding scale of healthier living will favor my generation of family even more.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:55 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snnipe 70E View Post
USING SLIDE RULES
My first year in college, I used a slide rule. I've still got it somewhere...
Old 12-29-2018, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

I've used a slide rule. Whoever invented it needs rooting with a burnt stick. My passport has 3 years to run- I think that will be the end of my adventures.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snnipe 70E View Post
Let me see.

Oh and I remember a time when if I fell I bounced. Now I just go thud with no bounce.
Not only do I thud, I often hear break or tear.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
See, l don't understand this. I am familiar with events that happened before I was born, not just major events, but movies, celebrities, popular songs, objects (like candlestick phones, though I've never used one), and other cultural items from my parents' generation. I know who Artie Shaw and Glenn Miller are, and a couple of the songs they were known for. I know about sleeve garters and painting a line down the back of a woman's leg to simulate a stocking seam during the wartime nylon shortage.

No, it is because you listened when they talked.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:21 PM

I'm 61 and a good driver. Even the best drivers have an occasional glitch where you accidentally cut somebody off or fail to yield the right of way or some other minor mistake another driver may rightfully be irritated by. Most of my driving years this was followed by an angry honk, maybe a middle finger, sometimes a verbal insult.

Now I'm much more likely to get a sad half smile that seems to say "You pathetic old geezer, must suck to be that old."

Unless it's another senior driver. Then it's middle fingers.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post
That's what rattles me. I'm "only" in my mid-50s and though I'm healthy now, I'm surmising that by the time I hit 75 I'll be on borrowed time....some 20-something years from now...and the last 20 years was like a blur to me. It's just like you say: it may as well be the day before yesterday.

On the plus side, my parents were/are the first in my family to live past their mid-60s. Still doing pretty good in their late 70s. Maybe the sliding scale of healthier living will favor my generation of family even more.
At 70, I really don't feel old physically. My mother was hale and hearty into her 90th year. I don't anticipate that major physical deterioration will set in for a while. I don't anticipate mental deterioration at all. It's just that I can SEE the end from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsat3acr View Post
No, it is because you listened when they talked.
Ah! I knew there was a reason.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. "I don't know, I wasn't even BORN YET!!!"

I was once at a trivia event. One of the categories was 1970s music. After a few questions from that category, a team of 20-somethings complained (whined) loudly, saying how were they supposed to know that stuff, it wasn't fair, they weren't even BORN YET!!!..."

The host actually agreed with them and eliminated that category so the contest would be fair.

So basically, nothing that occurred before they drew their first breath matters.

Bunch of self-important, self-centered, snot-nosed crybabies.

mmm
Old 12-29-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
This is one of my biggest pet peeves. "I don't know, I wasn't even BORN YET!!!"

I was once at a trivia event. One of the categories was 1970s music. After a few questions from that category, a team of 20-somethings complained (whined) loudly, saying how were they supposed to know that stuff, it wasn't fair, they weren't even BORN YET!!!..."

The host actually agreed with them and eliminated that category so the contest would be fair.

So basically, nothing that occurred before they drew their first breath matters.

Bunch of self-important, self-centered, snot-nosed crybabies.

mmm
Thank you for sharing my pet peeve. I appreciate it. This definitely drives me nuts.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Reminders that I am old:

I am now that doddering old fogey who says [Gabby Hayes voice:] "How the heck you work these here newfangled gadgets anyways?"

I remember when research meant going to a library- or a few different ones- and pouring through books and microfilm of old newspapers.

I remember children's toys that weren't made out of plastic.

I remember television variety shows besides Saturday Night Live and the Tonight Show.

I remember when you had to make a commitment to watch a television show at a fixed time each week if you wanted to keep up with it- actually planning your schedule around it!

Half of what I learned in the Boy Scouts is now obsolete due to new technology and environmentalism.

Things I have always considered universally known to everyone now have to be explained to anyone under 25.

I have now seen entire genres of pop culture be born, mature, decline and pass away. It's not worth keeping up with anymore.

Buildings have the longevity of mushrooms.

Many of the things that have simply accumulated in my house over thirty years could qualify as antiques.

I wish they'd stop changing everything!

I have to perform strict triage on what's worth learning and what isn't.

Ancient History: the Apollo program, the Vietnam War, Watergate

Obsolete History: the Soviet Union, the Cold War.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:26 PM

I just plucked a pube....that was growing out of my chin
Old 12-29-2018, 08:53 PM

You remember where you were on 9/11.

You remember when you only had to charge your cell phone every four days.

You remember texting your friends by pushing the number buttons multiple times to get each letter.

You traded pogs with your friends when the teacher couldn't see.

You remember a gallon of gas costing only $2.10.

You could only get the movie times on your cell phone by calling the theater.

Your school only one computer per classroom, and you had to ask to use it.

You couldn't wait to get home from school so you could get on AOL Instant Messenger with your friends.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessic Sense View Post
You remember where you were on 9/11.

You remember when you only had to charge your cell phone every four days.

You remember texting your friends by pushing the number buttons multiple times to get each letter.

You traded pogs with your friends when the teacher couldn't see.

You remember a gallon of gas costing only $2.10.

You could only get the movie times on your cell phone by calling the theater.

Your school only one computer per classroom, and you had to ask to use it.

You couldn't wait to get home from school so you could get on AOL Instant Messenger with your friends.
You remember where you were when Kennedy was assassinated.

You remember when the house had one black phone in the hall. It had a two-foot cord. No answering machine. If you missed a call, you didn't know it.

You passed notes in class and got in trouble for it. One way was to hide the note in the bathroom and your friend would go after you and retrieve it. Another way was to wrap the note around the refill in a ballpoint pen and then hand your friend the pen. Teachers knew these tricks.

You remember when a gallon of gas cost 20 cents.

You looked in the newspaper (which came twice a day) for movie times. Movies cost waaaay less than a dollar.

Computers took up entire floors of buildings and you had never seen one. You prepared reports and papers on a manual typewriter using carbon paper, because Xerox machines (i.e., plain paper copiers) hadn't been invented yet.

You couldn't wait to get home so you could go outside and play with your friends until suppertime.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:27 PM

Obligatory song by the Eels - Here

I recently had a coworker ask if he could use my desk telephone. "Sure." He told me that the phone must be broken or something, because it was making a weird noise. After investigating, the noise turned out to be the DIAL TONE!!! He had only used cell phones & had no idea what a dial tone is.'

I have a genuine passion for my research & would love to keep doing it for decades to come. ... But, honestly, I think at some point I will just have to wall myself away from my coworkers.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:49 PM

When I was young, I asked an elderly relative to compare life in his youth to life today. He said that the one thing that people today almost never discuss (and I haven't seen in this thread yet) is the fact that death was so much more common in the past. If you catch pneumonia today, for example, you would probably think of it as being mildly serious - maybe a night in the hospital and a week or two taking medication. Go back a few decades and something like pneumonia was almost a certain death. My grandmother, at age 22, spent 16 weeks confined to a bed due to pneumonia.

Just about anything could become deadly & very quickly. If a family had 6 or 7 children, they were lucky to see more than half live to marriage. Death was omnipresent.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Annie-Xmas is 64, and joined this board on 04-15-2000. I joined on 11-04-2000. So basically, she was the same age as I am now. That's inspiring. And a bit scary.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
My first year in college, I used a slide rule. I've still got it somewhere...
I still have mine. I used it after I got out of college.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:55 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Prank phone calls. Nowadays, you can't really call a number and ask if their refrigerator is running or if they have Prince Albert in a can. Rotten caller ID.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Prank phone calls. Nowadays, you can't really call a number and ask if their refrigerator is running or if they have Prince Albert in a can. Rotten caller ID.
Not only that, but you can't call to check up to see if your boyfriend is really at home like he said he would be. My soon-to-be-ex-boyfriend left my 21st birthday party unannounced. I noticed that he wasn't around, looked outside, and his motorcycle was gone. I called his apartment and a GIRL ANSWERED THE PHONE! He already had my replacement in place.

You also can't call and check to see if the guy (or person-of-interest) is married. Oh, the stuff you could find out before caller i.d.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I haven't quite reached the milestone of having a President who was younger than me. But it's been real close; Barack Obama is less than three months older than me.
Obama was my first. It was not until then that I truly understood the grumbling my father did when Kennedy was elected.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessic Sense View Post
You remember a gallon of gas costing only $2.10
Gas is under $2 here. Last fill-up with discount was $1.10. That's less than inflation compared to the 20 cents a gallon of my childhood.