Old 07-05-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Silver Alert* in the making.

Note: The video in the article did not play for me in Safari, but did in Firefox.

*Silver Alert: A public notification system in the U.S. to broadcast information about senior citizens with Alzheimer's disease, dementia or other mental disabilities, in order to aid in locating them. [Paraphrased from Wikipedia]
that's all we are going to talk about this? the guy in the oval office is demented and we are just going to move on?

Old 07-05-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLikesVariety View Post
that's all we are going to talk about this? the guy in the oval office is demented and we are just going to move on?

Seriously. I've lost my car in the parking lot before. But not if it's the only car and is literally right under my nose
Old 07-05-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
Too bad; after a few of her earlier statements that seemed like she was actually working for the American people rather than kissing Trump's ass, I had hopes for her. But it seems she's that guy in the office who does as little as possible, but cc's everybody whenever he does that little bit, to make sure everybody knows how hard he's working.
I can kind of see where she was coming from; she was trying to strike a tone of wry bemusement, an attitude of a petulant child for humorous effect. "Thanks, Kim Jong-Dickface....now that you've brought the world to the brink of nuclear war, I have to miss my sister's BBQ!!! FML!!"

Three problems with this: (1) I find it refreshing to see that anybody in the Trump Administration is working overtime. I thought all they did was watch TV and play golf. (2) This is the first time anybody (outside of South Carolina) has heard from Nikki Haley. You can't strike an attitude if nobody knows what the real you is like. (3) It's not a good idea to act like a petulant child, when your boss really is a petulant child.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Seriously. I've lost my car in the parking lot before. But not if it's the only car and is literally right under my nose
And it has a big sign on the side telling you THIS IS YOUR CAR!
Old 07-05-2017, 10:08 AM

OK, the North Koreans have what appears to be a working ICBM. Does anyone think that the reasoned approach to such a thing happening is to tweet about it and say that you hope someone else fixes it? Jesus, now is the time for confidential talking with our allies and adversaries alike, not for whining on Twitter.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:23 AM
BANNED

"Allies"?
Old 07-05-2017, 10:27 AM

Here's an interesting article from Vox about possible scenarios for disaster in Korea.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
OK, the North Koreans have what appears to be a working ICBM. Does anyone think that the reasoned approach to such a thing happening is to tweet about it and say that you hope someone else fixes it? Jesus, now is the time for confidential talking with our allies and adversaries alike, not for whining on Twitter.
Say Trump does agree to talks with the heads of China, Russia, S Korea, Japan, etc. They get memos from Trump's team, similar to the ones issued on his trips to the Middle East and Europe, that advise that Trump won't pay attention if the talks have too much detail, and it's best to mention his name every once in a while. They'll realize that Trump is useless and the US isn't going to provide a unifying role. They'll go back to their old squabbles and feel no incentive to unify. Boom goes the dynamite.

Same result as a twitter whine, only more costly to the taxpayers.

During Trump's administration, we have to plan for least costly damage and ride out the rest of his term(s).

Last edited by Knowed Out; 07-05-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Say Trump does agree to talks with the heads of China, Russia, S Korea, Japan, etc. They get memos from Trump's team, similar to the ones issued on his trips to the Middle East and Europe, that advise that Trump won't pay attention if the talks have too much detail, and it's best to mention his name every once in a while. They'll realize that Trump is useless and the US isn't going to provide a unifying role. They'll go back to their old squabbles and feel no incentive to unify. Boom goes the dynamite.

Same result as a twitter whine, only more costly to the taxpayers.

During Trump's administration, we have to plan for least costly damage and ride out the rest of his term(s).
You have a point, but this could be handled at lower levels. The US could send Tillerson or Jared Kushner- oh crap I guess we're fucked.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:53 AM

Nothing like having a pig-ignorant, incurious, intellectually-stunted, thin-skinned, possibly-demential, inexperienced, morally-bankrupt, greed-driven, blabber-mouthing failed businessman at the helm during a threat of nuclear war.

But her emails....!
Old 07-05-2017, 11:55 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Tillerson is at least trying to act in the best interests of the country. Unfortunately, they keep going around him.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Nothing like having a pig-ignorant, incurious, intellectually-stunted, thin-skinned, possibly-demential, inexperienced, morally-bankrupt, greed-driven, blabber-mouthing failed businessman at the helm during a threat of nuclear war.
Or, as a certain plastic vegetable said: Nothing livens up a boring cross-country bus ride like a stuck accelerator, failed brakes and an engine fire.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
That's the stuff!
Old 07-05-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
You never know what misinformed Trump supporters take seriously. See the few posts above Faux news cite.
Let’s see…

They got their “war on Christmas” news and early “killer liberals” news from Bill O’Really.

They get their more current “killer liberals” and “Obamunist FEMA camps” and “deadly gubmint induced chemtrails” and “NASA has slave colonies on Mars” news from Alex Jones.

They have, or had “Everyone is doomed buy gold” Beck.

They have “Liberals are picking on me” Hannity.

Looks to me like the only news they won’t believe is the real news (and that’s pretty damn shitty too).
Old 07-05-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Ask Starving Artist. He's on the record proclaiming Trump's yuge business acumen on this very board, against all relentless (and repeated, ad nauseam) evidence. Some people know what they know, and ya can't make 'em know otherwise.
It's assholes like SA (just one of several) who are WHY I refuse to bust my ass on cites and evidence most of the time, anymore. It's a waste of time.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuma Elish View Post
Did the people who eventually voted for Trump or their supposed billionaire financial supporters (cough Koch cough) ever pay people to protest Obama? Did they ever protest in such a way that Obama supporters were hounded from public universities (supposed places of 'free speech')? Were there any actual violent protests against Obama? Did Republican supporters ever hound Democrat town meetings with loud mouthed vile and hate and treat it as a justified casual political response? No they didn't. I am not the liar here. I am not the hater. Look in the mirror, Lefties, the hate you see is your own.
I, at least, come by it honestly. So feel free to fuck off.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Pig View Post
HA HA! 44 States have now refused Trump Commission's demand for personal info on voters.

Once again, Trump and his lackeys piss all over themselves.
Good.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:39 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Three problems with this: (1) I find it refreshing to see that anybody in the Trump Administration is working overtime. I thought all they did was watch TV and play golf. (2) This is the first time anybody (outside of South Carolina) has heard from Nikki Haley. You can't strike an attitude if nobody knows what the real you is like. (3) It's not a good idea to act like a petulant child, when your boss really is a petulant child.
One of the methods for achieving comedy is contrast. The tweet would have been funny coming from John Kerry, who has a well deserved reputation of looking and acting about as spontaneous and humorous as a funeral director, and whose boss was a person of gravitas and maturity. The striking contrast between a petulant tweet and the reputations of the people behind it would have created humor. That's why The Onion's recurring character of John Kerry was a globetrotting James Bond type superspy; it's funny because it's precisely what John Kerry wasn't.

A petulant tweet from a petulant administration has precisely the opposite effect; your first reaction is "She actually meant that," and that isn't funny, it's annoying. Even if after the fact you realize Haley is not Trump and was looking for comic effect, it's too late. It's not funny after the fact.

Last edited by RickJay; 07-05-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I was amused to see that posted as a response to a typical Okrahoma knob slobbering of President Drunk Uncle Fred.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Say Trump does agree to talks with the heads of China, Russia, S Korea, Japan, etc. They get memos from Trump's team, similar to the ones issued on his trips to the Middle East and Europe, that advise that Trump won't pay attention if the talks have too much detail, and it's best to mention his name every once in a while...

... [snip]...
In that scenario I'd be shocked if Putin didn't specifically craft a speech designed to make Tmurp fall asleep just to embarrass him.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
In that scenario I'd be shocked if Putin didn't specifically craft a speech designed to make Tmurp fall asleep just to embarrass him.
"He didn't mention me at all! Sad! Sleepy..."
Old 07-05-2017, 02:51 PM

Did he offer Trump any Polonium Tea?
Old 07-05-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Did he offer Trump any Polonium Tea?
Why would he so willingly solve our problems for us?
Old 07-05-2017, 04:06 PM
BANNED

Illinois election officials get letter requesting voter data.

I am fully confident that Illinois Secretary of State, The Honorable Jesse White, will tell Trump's Election Integrity Commission to "Suck On This".

Last edited by Little_Pig; 07-05-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Do I understand correctly that Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach has had to tell Trump Committee Chairman Kris Kobach the same thing?
Old 07-05-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Illinois election officials get letter requesting voter data.

From link, opening paragraph:
"A letter from the panel President Donald Trump formed to look into alleged voting irregularities finally has arrived at the Illinois State Board of Elections after first being sent to the wrong office. ..."

Is there anything Trump and his team can't fuck up?
Old 07-05-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Do I understand correctly that Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach has had to tell Trump Committee Chairman Kris Kobach the same thing?
Probably in a memo, I heard they aren't on speaking terms these days.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Is there anything Trump and his team can't fuck up?
Yeah. The minds of their core supporters.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Yeah. The minds of their core supporters.
From today's Atlantic: Why Fact-Checking Doesn't Faze Trump Fans.
Previous research from Nyhan and Riefler has found that corrections can sometimes actually have a “backfire effect”: When confronted with contrary information, ideologically motivated respondents sometimes simply dig in further on the initial, incorrect view of a fact. One might assume, then, that Trump supporters who were faced with Trump’s untruths would reject the correction. But that’s not what happened. They conceded the factual discrepancy, but continued to support Trump anyway.

“Though partisan loyalties are often inflamed during campaigns, corrections can still bring people’s beliefs more in line with the facts, even if they support the candidate being corrected or the correction is disparaged by a co-partisan,” the authors write.

As the authors note, the study is limited in scope, but it’s still a useful aid to thinking about Trump and his dissembling. The fact that he is able to “get away” with such frequent dishonesty has perplexed many observers. (“Getting away” is in the eye of the beholder; Trump’s presidency has encountered a variety of self-constructed obstacles.) Some uncharitable observers have attributed this to naive unsophistication among Trump voters brainwashed by media outlets and incapable of telling fact from fiction; other, more complex interpretations have situated Trump as an improbable apotheosis of the post-modern critique of empirical fact.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
Tillerson is at least trying to act in the best interests of the country. Unfortunately, they keep going around him.
I call bullshit on this. Tillerson doesn't have a fucking clue what he's doing, so he's dismantling decades of diplomatic infrastructure. I suppose it's possible that he's just a well meaning jackass, but I find it hard to believe that he could fuck up this badly if he wasn't trying.

Ah well, I guess we don't need the State Department anymore. Diplomacy is clearly not a priority for this administration, and the Big Orange Asshole is doing his best to get us kicked out of the grownups' table, so it's not like the international community will be counting on us anyway.

It's going to take decades to recover from all this winning.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oft wears hats View Post
I call bullshit on this. Tillerson doesn't have a fucking clue what he's doing, so he's dismantling decades of diplomatic infrastructure. I suppose it's possible that he's just a well meaning jackass, but I find it hard to believe that he could fuck up this badly if he wasn't trying.

Ah well, I guess we don't need the State Department anymore. Diplomacy is clearly not a priority for this administration, and the Big Orange Asshole is doing his best to get us kicked out of the grownups' table, so it's not like the international community will be counting on us anyway.

It's going to take decades to recover from all this winning.
This is well said. I agree, and I don't think most of the jackasses who support Trump have even the beginning of a clue about how much damage has been/will be done to our nation as a result.

But I'm sure the "ha ha" was worth it.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
I'm curious if Kris Kobach is cashing paychecks from both Kansas and the federal government.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:07 AM

Mike Pence claimed that ‘While there are news reports that 44 states have “refused” to provide voter information to the Commission, these reports are patently false, more “fake news.” At present, only 14 states and the District of Columbia have refused the Commission’s request for publicly available voter information.’
Of course, nobody is refusing the release of public information, which the federal government could obtain without the states' involvement. States are refusing to release voting patterns and social security numbers.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:38 AM

According to this article by Vox, Trump's handlers are preparing him for his meeting with Putin...

...by giving Trump his talking points in Tweet-length sentences. They fear that he won't pay attention or concentrate enough for his usual method of just having his name inserted into the memos.

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/7/5/1...-g20-briefings

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2017, 03:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
According to this article by Vox, Trump's handlers are preparing him for his meeting with Putin...

...by giving Trump his talking points in Tweet-length sentences. They fear that he won't pay attention or concentrate enough for his usual method of just having his name inserted into the memos.

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/7/5/1...-g20-briefings
Og help us.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:16 AM
BANNED

How is there not already a contingency for this in the government? Like, someone should be able to break open the glass container, pull out the handbook, and find a way to handle a president whose every action indicates severe mental illness or deficiency.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
I'm probably being overly charitable here, but is there a wide-angle shot of that? A presidential motorcade normally has two identical limos, so it's not totally impossible that they were trying to put him in limo #2 and he turned to walk toward limo #1. (It wouldn't be the first time he's wandered off. Remember when he was signing some bill or executive order, and left without signing it?)

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 07-06-2017 at 03:26 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
How is there not already a contingency for this in the government? Like, someone should be able to break open the glass container, pull out the handbook, and find a way to handle a president whose every action indicates severe mental illness or deficiency.
That would include the people who could break that glass either not being in denial about his mental health, or actually willing to put country over party at the expense of their political agendas.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
There is. It's in the 25th Amendment. It has to do with finding him not of sound mind, basically.

The problem is only that there is no objective way to enforce it, and Republicans right now would rather have Trump. And Democrats have no power.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:06 AM

Anderson Cooper had a great quote about presidents recently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson Cooper quoting someone

"The president of the United States is the most powerful person in the world. The president is the spokesman for democracy and liberty. Isn't it time we brought back the pomp and circumstance and the sense of awe for that office that we all held? That means everyone in the administration should look and act professionally, especially the president. Impressions matter.”

That was from the 2015 book "Crippled America."

By Donald Trump.

Last edited by Superdude; 07-06-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:27 AM

sure, ironic.

but what I really think is AS IF he could write a book; he couldn't read a book.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I'm curious if Kris Kobach is cashing paychecks from both Kansas and the federal government.
It's my understanding that the members of the "very distinguished VOTER FRAUD COMMISSION" (their official title, Trump said so, look it up) are not paid. The government covers their expenses, but they're getting no federal pay for their distinguished work uncovering 5 million illegal votes and finding new ways to suppress Democratic voters.

So that should ease your mind.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:08 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Donald Trump versus Vladimir Putin is the equivalent of sending in a nine year old to fight a heavyweight champion. Putin is fifty times smarter and a hundred times more devious.

The charitable guess as to what will happen is that Putin will manipulate Trump in to doing his bidding with comic ease. The uncharitable guess is that Trump is already Putin's servant.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post

I'd suggest painting the messages on the side of his limo, but apparently that won't work either.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Heh. Kansas's Kris Kobach.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:43 AM
BANNED

'Welcome to hell' - 100,000 protesters in Hamburg vow to disrupt G20 summit.

Bwahahahahahahahah....

This is gonna be sweet.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
'Welcome to hell' - 100,000 protesters in Hamburg vow to disrupt G20 summit.

Bwahahahahahahahah....

This is gonna be sweet.
He better get a good night's sleep. Oh, wait. Forgot to book hotel room.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:19 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
We know where the next Trump Hotel will be.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Maybe next time his lackeys should ask about openings and then say who they're for....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hill
The U.S. initially sought to accommodate Trump in the local Four Seasons hotel, only to find it was already fully booked by Saudi Arabia’s King Salman, the report said. Other luxury hotels around Hamburg were similarly booked up by other key figures.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:23 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
And in the comments section, Obama gets blamed.
Quote:
Al_the_Plumber • 3 minutes ago

Since other governments starting making reservations in February 2016, why didn’t Obama & Co. do it for whomever would be elected? By the time, the new President took office, or even by the time the Election was decided, many choices would be long gone. It also would have other possible benefits such as reducing security problems and costs.

If the new President thought there were problems with it, it could be changed.

This seems like yet more incompetence from Obama and perhaps Presidencies/governments in general if they operate this way.

BTW, for years, in good times and bad, leaders from the U.S. and other big spenders sometimes have spent $20,000-$50,000 PER NIGHT for each of their super deluxe suites!! Naturally, the gourmet grub, booze, hookers, etc. are extra. The room and board for the leaders’ huge staffs, security, etc. are extra. Sometimes the host country picks up a lot of the tab.