Old 11-08-2019, 04:01 PM

Bands and Artists that were contemporaries, but don't seem like it

In the musical encyclopedia of my head, bands such as Black Sabbath and Eagles seem like they are from two different realities. But, their careers have run pretty much side by side, when you look at the years they've been performing. Same with bands like Fleetwood Mac and The Sex Pistols.

So what bands or artists, to you, fit in this category? For the sake of simplicity, let's exclude artists where the tail end of their career may have coincided with someone first starting up, so something like Frank Sinatra and Nirvana might have some overlap, that's not quite what I'm looking for!
Old 11-08-2019, 04:04 PM

How about Neil Young and "Ricky" James being in the same band? The Mynah Birds.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:05 PM

Well, you know, The Beatles and The Stones went head-to-head back in the day. But it seems like the Fab Four haven't been around in FOREVER and The Stones are still Rolling. Weird.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:13 PM

The Velvet Underground and ... any of their 60s contemporaries, really.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:43 PM

My first thought on reading the OP was Sgt. Barry Sadler’s “Ballad of the Green Berets” hitting the top of the the billboard 100 for 1966, beating bands like the Beatles and the Mamas and Papas.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:33 PM

Led Zeppelin started a year before Sha Na Na did, both had their hey day through the 70s.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizor View Post
Led Zeppelin started a year before Sha Na Na did, both had their hey day through the 70s.
Sha Na Na played at Woodstock!
Old 11-08-2019, 08:32 PM

It's hard to pinpoint exactly when Led Zeppelin began...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ffBRhtWjEQ
Old 11-08-2019, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Buddy Holly and Willie Nelson. They were born three years apart (Nelson is the older one). They're both from Texas. They recorded their first songs within a year of each other.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 11-08-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
The Velvet Underground and ... any of their 60s contemporaries, really.
Just like Captain Beefheart And The Magic Band at the same time or Pere Ubu in 1975. Post punk before punk broke? What?
Old 11-08-2019, 08:25 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

Bands and Artists that were contemporaries, but don't seem like it.

The Bee Gees were always contemporaries of themselves, no?

So how about their late 1960's music compared to the stuff they put out in the late 1970s? I think it was called Disco or something.

Last edited by KarlGauss; 11-08-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradjam View Post
In the musical encyclopedia of my head, bands such as Black Sabbath and Eagles seem like they are from two different realities. But, their careers have run pretty much side by side, when you look at the years they've been performing. Same with bands like Fleetwood Mac and The Sex Pistols.

So what bands or artists, to you, fit in this category? For the sake of simplicity, let's exclude artists where the tail end of their career may have coincided with someone first starting up, so something like Frank Sinatra and Nirvana might have some overlap, that's not quite what I'm looking for!

I don't really agree The Sex Pistols and Fleetwood Mac have had 'careers running side by side.'

The Sex Pistols (basically) existed for about a year between 1976 and 1977 producing a single album. By 1978 even Cook and Jones dropped the name. The surviving members have briefly reformed a couple of times for a few lucrative "pay day" concerts.

Fleetwood Mac have existed (arguably) continuously since 1967 in various line ups recording for decades and still touring to this day. Thousands of vaguely well known artists have come and gone during Fleetwood Mac's existence but there is no particular parallel between the careers of Fleetwood Mac and The Sex Pistols. In my opinion, anyway.

TCMF-2L
Old 11-09-2019, 10:05 AM

Bobby Darin seemed like the victim of a time machine accident who asked the Time Lords to drop him off in 1947 and they missed it by a decade. A Rat Pack-style crooner in the Elvis and Beatles eras, a Teen Dreams pop singer in the age of CSNY, a protest singer as the war was winding down... It was not an enviable career arc.

I remember how precious it looked when Tony Bennett and the Red Hot Chili Peppers did their little schtick at an MTV Awards in 1991. Who'd have guessed that Bennett's career had more horsepower remaining in it than the Peppers'?
Old 11-09-2019, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
I remember how precious it looked when Tony Bennett and the Red Hot Chili Peppers did their little schtick at an MTV Awards in 1991. Who'd have guessed that Bennett's career had more horsepower remaining in it than the Peppers'?
The smart money would have all been on Bennett. In 1991, Bennett had been around for forty years. It was unlikely his career was going to collapse.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers may have been huge in 1991. But the only people who would believe that meant they would be huge forever would have been young fans. Anyone older would have seen other performers who had been just as big at their peak and who then vanished a few years later.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:41 AM

How about the Monkees and the MC5? They both formed, under very different circumstances, in 1966. One made harmless pop rock for teenyboppers, as commercial as it gets, whereas the others were political radicals with the goal to change the system by playing ultra-loud hardrock and proto-punk, as anti-establishment as it gets.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:00 PM

Anne Frank, Martin Luther King Jr., Barbara Walters, Bob Newhart, Berry Gordy and Max von Sydow were all born in 1929.

It just feels to me that the first two are historic figures who wouldn't necessarily have contemporaries alive today.

Last edited by dorvann; 11-09-2019 at 01:01 PM.