Old 09-10-2019, 12:05 AM

Valerie Plame is running for Congress...

...and holy shit, her first campaign ad is awesome.

I may have to move to New Mexico just so I can vote for her.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:24 AM
BANNED

It is indeed one of the most awesomely kickass ads I have never seen -- and not even limiting that to political ads. Madison Avenue, take note!
Old 09-10-2019, 12:29 AM

That is a first-class kick-ass campaign ad!
Old 09-10-2019, 12:31 AM
BANNED

OTOH, it is somewhat unsatisfactory as a political ad, as it provides no specifics about her political agenda. What is she actually intending to do for NM or the USA?
Old 09-10-2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkrapine View Post
...What is she actually intending to do for NM or the USA?
I'm guessing but I would say, she intends to kick some ass.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:36 AM

Valerie Plame is one remarkable lady. What was done to her and her husband, Joe Wilson, by the GWB administration for daring to reveal the administration's lies re Iraq seeking to purchase yellowcake uranium in Niger was dangerous and criminal -- as evidenced by Libby's conviction and Trump's subsequent pardon of Libby.

I hope she wins. She'll be a fantastic representative.

I see Jon Ossoff has formally announced he will run for the Georgia US Senate seat currently occupied by David Perdue. That's wonderful news, too.

Both Plame and Ossoff will be formidable candidates.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:01 AM

That is a good ad. And I respect her service and her fighting with the Bush administration. But, uh, didn't she retweet some antisemitic crap a couple years ago? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vale...sm_controversy

I haven't really followed her all that much since the Scooter Libby era.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:18 AM
Extrajudicial

That's a good ad.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:26 AM
BANNED

WRT the CIA, what the country needs more than anything else is a new round of
Church Hearings
. Plame, as an ex-CIA, would be optimally suited to lead the way.

Last edited by kirkrapine; 09-10-2019 at 01:27 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:42 AM

I like the ad. She's a badass.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
OTOH, it is somewhat unsatisfactory as a political ad, as it provides no specifics about her political agenda. What is she actually intending to do for NM or the USA?
Valid point, but first she needs to get your attention (yes, she was famous for awhile but that was years ago, while American memory these days can be measured in..minutes?). And fast cars and attractive women (and she is attractive) grab the attention, especially of male voters, while the topics she mentions are of interest to women. Once you have their attention, you can fill in the blanks.

Agreed, if you want to hit the mule with a 2-by-4, this is the way to do it.

IMHO as always. YMMV.

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 09-10-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
OTOH, it is somewhat unsatisfactory as a political ad, as it provides no specifics about her political agenda.
What country are you from? This is the USA. We don't need no stinkin' political agendas, we need charisma, catchy slogans, and the ability to call our opponents derogatory nicknames. Being attractive helps too.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
It is indeed one of the most awesomely kickass ads I have never seen -- and not even limiting that to political ads. Madison Avenue, take note!
She needs to practice her J turns.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:19 AM

It’s a good ad.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
That is a good ad. And I respect her service and her fighting with the Bush administration. But, uh, didn't she retweet some antisemitic crap a couple years ago? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vale...sm_controversy

I haven't really followed her all that much since the Scooter Libby era.
I hadn't heard about this so I followed your link. It would have been helpful to us all if you had quoted the relevant part, rather than leave it up to people to imagine and speculate or to do the work themselves (we're all working hard to keep our buckets of fried mayonnaise balls from tipping over, eh).
Quote:
In September 2017, tweeted a link to an article from The Unz Review website posted by Philip Giraldi, titled "America's Jews Are Driving America's Wars", repeating the title of the article in her tweet.[88][1] The article said that certain "American Jews who lack any shred of integrity" should be given a special label when appearing on television: "kind-of-like a warning label on a bottle of rat poison."[1] Amid criticism, Plame first defended her posts, replying on Twitter that "Many neocon hawks ARE Jewish."[1][2] She also said that people should “read the entire article” without “biases.”[89] Within two hours she deleted her initial post and apologized, tweeting "OK folks, look, I messed up. I skimmed this piece, zeroed in on the neocon criticism, and shared it without seeing and considering the rest. I missed gross undercurrents to this article & didn't do my homework on the platform this piece came from. Now that I see it, it's obvious. Apologies all. There is so much there that's problematic AF and I should have recognized it sooner. Thank you for pushing me to look again. I'm not perfect and make mistakes. This was a doozy. All I can do is admit them, try to be better, and read more thoroughly next time, Ugh."[90] Ramesh Ponnuru and Caleb Ecarma have argued that the incident followed a pattern of her posting content critical of Israel, neoconservatives, and of Plame making jokes about "rich Jews".[91][92] She had tweeted at least eight articles from the same website before,[3] in which she previously retweeted links to conspiracy theories of 'dancing Israelis' being behind the 9/11 attacks.
That was two years ago. Unless other incidents have occurred since then, I'm willing to accept her explanation and apology. If new facts come to light, I'll re-assess. Doesn't matter much what I think of her tho as I do not live in New Mexico.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 09-10-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
I'm guessing but I would say, she intends to kick some ass.
Before I give her my support, I need to know her position on chewing gum and ensuring adequate supplies thereof.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:14 AM

Love the ad. Wish she were running for President.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:39 AM

What has she got that Trump hasn't?

Apart from honesty, service to her country, maturity, charisma, fairness, decency and competence of course...
Old 09-10-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post

Apart from honesty, service to her country, maturity, charisma, fairness, decency and competence of course...
I suspect she'd be less dismissive of intelligence reports.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post

The aqueducts?

Remember that she was a CIA operative - honesty, fairness and decency may be optional add-ons, although even this sets her apart from Trump who is incapable of even faking any of those.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Boo fucking hoo. Political ads, especially the TV ads, are designed to draw attention to the candidate. Smart voters then check the specifics of the candidate's platform through other means. Only foolish voters* base their vote solely on TV ads.

*I'm looking at you, MAGATs.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:28 AM

Loving it!!
Old 09-10-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I'll wager it's unlikely to be her only ad; simply her way of making a good first impression. Well done, IMO.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:51 PM

Huh, turns out my parents are in her district. I doubt that they will vote for her in the primary, since they are more into substance over style, and are wary of celebrity candidates, but it does give me something to ask them about when I call.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
... I doubt that they will vote for her in the primary, since they are more into substance over style, and are wary of celebrity candidates, ...
She has two Master's Degrees, is an accomplished writer, and has untold experience as a CIA analyst. She's seen government malfeasance up close and personal. Who's her primary opponent that has more substance than Ms. Plame?

Her "celebrity" status was unwelcome obviously and forced upon her by Dick Cheney. She seems photogenic ó is that the "problem"?
Old 09-10-2019, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

She's going about it the right way, at least. She's (currently) an ordinary citizen with a score to settle with the President, and so she's running for... the House. She's not wasting her and the nation's time by jumping straight for the top; she's running for the position that's designed for ordinary folks with some name recognition who want to make a difference. And where she still can make a difference.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
She's going about it the right way, at least. She's (currently) an ordinary citizen with a score to settle with the President, and so she's running for... the House. She's not wasting her and the nation's time by jumping straight for the top; she's running for the position that's designed for ordinary folks with some name recognition who want to make a difference. And where she still can make a difference.
Yes, you're right -- although I'm sure I'm not the only one who impulsively thought she'd be a great candidate for President. Can't you just imagine her reducing Trump to a blathering wreck in a debate?
Old 09-10-2019, 02:20 PM

It's a good ad. Very cinematic-style. The music is a little cheesy; would have been better served by something dramatic, IMO. Also I sorely wish she'd had gone with a classic muscle car rather than a modern one. Other than that, yeah it's a cool ad. Hope she can win.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:27 PM

What's with all the clouds of dust?

Admittedly, they may come across differently to her intended audience.

(I do live on a dirt road. But we don't like clouds of dust, though if it's dry enough producing them can be hard to avoid.)
Old 09-10-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
It's a good ad. Very cinematic-style. The music is a little cheesy; would have been better served by something dramatic, IMO. Also I sorely wish she'd had gone with a classic muscle car rather than a modern one. Other than that, yeah it's a cool ad. Hope she can win.
Fuck that retro bullshit; it's fucking 2019. People trying to recapture the mythical past is part of how we got in this fucked up situation to begin with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorion
Onward!
Old 09-10-2019, 03:27 PM

Interesting. The whole kick-ass vibe will undoubtedly work with a slice of the male MAGA crowd. It'll be curious if it pushes away an equal number of latte-sipping Liberals? And I am unqualified to speak for any segment of the female voting population, but I have witnessed unexpected (to me) negative reactions of females in my life to the tough good-looking female types like Plame.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

As an aside, I know I'm overthinking this, but she got her symbolism a bit crossed. She's saying that the country is going backwards, illustrated by a car going backwards: OK, clear enough. And then she hits a J-turn to turn the car around, and drives off forward... in the same direction she was going before, except now (presumably) even faster.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:28 PM

Looks like she'll be running for NM-3, to replace LujŠn, the Assistant House Speaker? Seems like a good way to start a fight between various components of the dem coalition.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 09-10-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

I'm both inspired and scared by the ad. That grab-em-by-the-balls strategy may work in her district, but in Missouri we're still trying to recover from Eric Greitens - Rhodes scholar, medal-winning Navy Seal, inspirational author and speaker, philanderer, campaign finance violater, philanderer with a taste for kinky sex, who skimmed from his own charity. His first commercial featured him firing a .50 caliber machine gun to show he was a badass.

And when anyone runs for public office and announces "I have some scores to settle," it reminds me more of Mitch McConnell than Barack Obama.

Last edited by Kent Clark; 09-10-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's just an introductory ad saying, "Here I am! I'm running for congress!"
Old 09-10-2019, 06:58 PM

The woman who wanted to buy Twitter to kick Trump off of it so she started a GoFundMe? Yeah a GoFundMe is totally going to raise the billion or so she can buy a majority stake of Twitter. That is some good thinking right there. Quality, I tell ya.

https://www.gofundme.com/buytwitter

Slee
Old 09-10-2019, 07:41 PM

Yes, yes. People should totally get into politics to settle scores.

Last edited by Gatopescado; 09-10-2019 at 07:42 PM. Reason: I'm gonna run for County Animal Control so I can hate-fuck Dave's dog that bit me.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleestak View Post
The woman who wanted to buy Twitter to kick Trump off of it so she started a GoFundMe? Yeah a GoFundMe is totally going to raise the billion or so she can buy a majority stake of Twitter. That is some good thinking right there. Quality, I tell ya.

https://www.gofundme.com/buytwitter

Slee
I suspect her thinking was probably more along the lines of "How can I scam some fools out of tens of thousands of dollars?" rather than a serious play to buy Twitter.

ETA: seriously, what happened to the $89k that got donated? Did Valerie just get $89k wealthier?

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 09-10-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
As an aside, I know I'm overthinking this, but she got her symbolism a bit crossed. She's saying that the country is going backwards, illustrated by a car going backwards: OK, clear enough. And then she hits a J-turn to turn the car around, and drives off forward... in the same direction she was going before, except now (presumably) even faster.
Except she doesn't drive off. She makes the turn, stops, and gets out of the car.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleMalt View Post
Except she doesn't drive off. She makes the turn, stops, and gets out of the car.
And makes a quip about how, yes, the CIA trains you to drive like that.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
And makes a quip about how, yes, the CIA trains you to drive like that.
CIA drive in reverse orientation as it makes it easier to spot whether they are being followed.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
I see Jon Ossoff has formally announced he will run for the Georgia US Senate seat currently occupied by David Perdue. That's wonderful news, too.

Both Plame and Ossoff will be formidable candidates.
Not to hijack but I don't think there's anything formidable about Ossoff. He failed to utilize anti-Trump backlash at a time of peak anti-Trump backlash. It's true he was running for a fairly red district, but Georgia is a fairly red state overall. I'm not sure an anodyne white lightweight like Ossoff will mobilize the black voters he needs (many of whose votes are getting outright disenfranchised thanks to Brian Kemp's voter suppression machine.

I don't know why Stacy Abrams won't go for it. She's a natural fit.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
Not to hijack but I don't think there's anything formidable about Ossoff. He failed to utilize anti-Trump backlash at a time of peak anti-Trump backlash. It's true he was running for a fairly red district, but Georgia is a fairly red state overall. I'm not sure an anodyne white lightweight like Ossoff will mobilize the black voters he needs (many of whose votes are getting outright disenfranchised thanks to Brian Kemp's voter suppression machine.
Ossoff came within a whisper of taking that district. He lost, but he did well in a tough election with virtually everything the Trump Cabal could throw at him plus Kemp's voter suppression, in a district that should have been a walkaway for Republicans. I'll give you he's no Abrams, but he's got her enthusiastic endorsement -- which is the next best thing. I heard him speak on the day he announced his candidacy. He is impressive, and he seems very determined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
I don't know why Stacy Abrams won't go for it. She's a natural fit.
I think she's keeping her dance card free for an invitation to be Veep on a Biden ticket. Joe knows he can bring the mid-west states under his own steam. He wants a bulwark in the south to ensure success there. Neither of them need worry about how the coasts will vote.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Looks like she'll be running for NM-3, to replace LujŠn, the Assistant House Speaker? Seems like a good way to start a fight between various components of the dem coalition.
Ben Ray LujŠn for U.S. Senate

Due to...

New Mexico Sen. Tom Udall won't run for re-election in 2020
Old 09-13-2019, 04:20 PM

Given that she's of Jewish heritage I'm not too worried about accusations of antisemitism. I have at least one spook in my family, so I have a soft spot for them. As her husband is still alive, that wrecks any plans to make her the next Mrs zone . That leaves Vice President, and with President Pete we needn't worry about Oval Office hanky panky.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

She says in the ad that Scooter Libby leaked her name to the press. But it was actually Richard Armitage at the State Department. I wonder if Libby can sue her for libel? (Libby was not charged with a leak - he was charged with a process crime for not being truthful to investigators).

Also, the way that commercial was cut makes me think either she flubbed the J turn, or the driving was done by a stunt driver.

And the idea of a 'badass' coming to Washington to settle scores sounds awfully Trumpian.

Not impressed.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
She says in the ad that Scooter Libby leaked her name to the press. But it was actually Richard Armitage at the State Department. I wonder if Libby can sue her for libel? (Libby was not charged with a leak - he was charged with a process crime for not being truthful to investigators).

Also, the way that commercial was cut makes me think either she flubbed the J turn, or the driving was done by a stunt driver.

And the idea of a 'badass' coming to Washington to settle scores sounds awfully Trumpian.

Not impressed.
The leaked outing of Ms. Plame was orchestrated for obfuscation. Nobody thinks Armitage did it unilaterally. AFAIK no chief culprit was ever identified by prosecutors unless it was Dick Cheney. Other than Libby the only one jailed in that affair IIRC was a N.Y. Times reporter, jailed for refusing to identify her source.

And I assumed ó without looking for "cuts" ó that a stunt driver was involved. Unless Ms. Plame is herself a professional stunt driver it would seem remarkably silly not to use a stunt driver. Does this seem unusual? Present company excepted of course, but this complaint almost resembles the sort of picayune nitpick one might expect from a partisan.

President George Walker Bush was not piloting the S-3B Viking which landed on an aircraft carrier for his "Mission Accomplished" speech in 2003. Was that a scandal also?
Old 09-16-2019, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
I suspect her thinking was probably more along the lines of "How can I scam some fools out of tens of thousands of dollars?" rather than a serious play to buy Twitter.

ETA: seriously, what happened to the $89k that got donated? Did Valerie just get $89k wealthier?
There's a line on the GoFundMe page about how she's doing it on behalf of Global Zero, so I expect they'll get the donations. After GFM takes their cut, of course.

BTW, even $1 billion wouldn't come close to buying a majority of Twitter stock. Its market cap is somewhere north of $30 b.