Old 10-27-2019, 08:39 PM

Emmylou Harris appreciation thred

When I was 16 I bought her Luxury Liner album and it has been a favorite over the last 40 years, As was her greatest hits album. For some stupid reason I never bought any of her other albums. But watching Ken Burns Country Music, she was featured. Dwight Yoakum and others talking about her influence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3LQeRqTBK4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbaz_T6BN3g

And silvered haired Emmylou is still one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_SXN0xwNSo
Old 10-27-2019, 08:46 PM

Here she is with Steve Earle singing Steve's song "Goodbye". It's about a drug addict who lost a relationship.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr2IY8q687I
Old 10-27-2019, 08:49 PM

None better.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

I haven't seen the Ken Burns doc. But I agree that Emmylou Harris is amazing.

I first heard her songs on country radio in the early 1970s. I wasn't old enough to understand "Queen of the Silver Dollar". I later discovered her collaboration with Graham Parsons. And then a little later, there was her work with Dolly Parton and Linda Ronstadt on "Trio".

And yes, she is still breathtakingly beautiful.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Here she is with Steve Earle singing Steve's song "Goodbye". It's about a drug addict who lost a relationship.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr2IY8q687I
Thanks for that. I love Steve Earle and know this song, but not with Emmylou. Was this on Austin City Limits?
Old 10-27-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. U. Shakespeare View Post
I haven't seen the Ken Burns doc. But I agree that Emmylou Harris is amazing.

I first heard her songs on country radio in the early 1970s. I wasn't old enough to understand "Queen of the Silver Dollar". I later discovered her collaboration with Graham Parsons. And then a little later, there was her work with Dolly Parton and Linda Ronstadt on "Trio".

Watch the doc. It's very good.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes View Post
Thanks for that. I love Steve Earle and know this song, but not with Emmylou. Was this on Austin City Limits?
I think that was from an English TV show- but I could be wrong.
ETA Again: Emmylou released her own version of that song. Lots of Emmylou fans are surprised to learn that it's a Steve Earle song.

Last edited by bobot; 10-27-2019 at 09:09 PM. Reason: "
Old 10-27-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:

I still debate to this day which is my favorite album cover, Emmylou and Luxury Liner or Linda Rondstat Heart Like a Wheel.

https://www.oldies.com/product-view/...saArqCEALw_wcB
https://www.ebay.com/i/312059796409?...IaAiSiEALw_wcB
Old 10-27-2019, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

FWIW, whenever I hear that album title, I always remember the line from Paul McCartney's 1973 song "Let Me Roll It": 'I can't tell you how I feel, my heart is like a wheel' (from "Band on the Run")
Old 10-27-2019, 10:03 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

A dormmate turned me on to Emmylou with Elite Hotel. I've loved her ever since.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:15 PM

Shallow, shallow guy that I am...she has been and is a remarkably attractive woman. Yeah, she can sing and play and has had a great career doing that. Won the genetic lottery on top of everything.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
Shallow, shallow guy that I am...she has been and is a remarkably attractive woman. Yeah, she can sing and play and has had a great career doing that. Won the genetic lottery on top of everything.
You are not shallow, or maybe you are. And maybe I am. If she weren't so beautifull, would we love her so much? How many albums would have an ugly Linda Rondstatdt sold?
Old 10-27-2019, 11:49 PM

I was fortunate enough to see Gram Parsons with Emmylou at Oliver's in Boston in 1973. Two nights in a row.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:11 AM

I think Burpo The Wonder Mutt and I both agree on this.

Stone Silver Fox.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:24 AM
Charter Member

I am not the biggest country music fan around. But I can say without reservation that Emmylou Harris is a tremendous talent with a once in a generation voice, a true national treasure.

I particularly recommend her all acoustic live album At The Ryman.

Her rendition of Hard Times Come Again No More (an old old American song by Stephen Foster) never fails to bring a tear to my eye.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:17 AM

I love Emmylou Harris. Learned to appreciate her through her work with Gram Parsons and later checked out her solo albums. Let's not forget that besides her astounding solo work, she's one of the most industrious collaborators and background/duet singers in the business. I have tons of albums by others she sang on, some of the biggest names in music, and she graces every song she's involved with.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:20 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Her rendition of "Poncho and Lefty" still makes me shiver.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:37 PM

Roses in the Snow is my favorite Emmylou album. There's some really old bluegrass standards on it. Tony Rice and Ricky Skaggs play on the album.

Gold Watch and Chain was originally recorded by the Carter Family.

Emmylou's version of Wayfaring Stranger is one of the best I've heard.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-28-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:42 PM

I was aware of Emmylou Harris for most of my life, but probably couldn't have named one song of hers; we weren't much into Country music where I grew up. Then she did "All the Roadrunning" with Mark Knopfler, and I fell, hard. What a supremely gorgeous voice! Saw them on their live tour together and she was absolutely magical in person.

I'll play in the shallow end for a moment. Perhaps it's because I came late in life to the Emmylou bandwagon, but I actually think she's grown more attractive with age. The fact that I'm now in my 50s probably influences my view, though.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlb View Post
I was aware of Emmylou Harris for most of my life, but probably couldn't have named one song of hers; we weren't much into Country music where I grew up. Then she did "All the Roadrunning" with Mark Knopfler, and I fell, hard. What a supremely gorgeous voice! Saw them on their live tour together and she was absolutely magical in person....

Only know here from "All the Roadrunning" and also saw them on tour, mainly due to Mark Knopfler. Glad I went and I still enjoy the album, but haven't heard anything else of hers. Love her hair.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoops View Post
I am not the biggest country music fan around. But I can say without reservation that Emmylou Harris is a tremendous talent with a once in a generation voice, a true national treasure.

I particularly recommend her all acoustic live album At The Ryman.

Her rendition of Hard Times Come Again No More (an old old American song by Stephen Foster) never fails to bring a tear to my eye.
Also all accoustic (well, except for the bass) is her 80s album Angel Band.

It's a collection of hymns. Absolutely beautiful.

I've seen her perform a number of times, with various backing musicians. I agree that the Nash Ramblers (the band on the At the Ryman album) is one of her finest backing bands. I saw her perform with them in, of all places, Paris.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes View Post
How many albums would have an ugly Linda Rondstatdt sold?
Probably plenty. There are any number of singers who sell lots of records who are not as physically beautiful as Ronstadt or Harris.

But what's really sad and pathetic is that Linda Ronstadt might not get a second look if she were just starting out today. No boob job, no hair extensions/additions/whatever, she never looked like she spent four hours a day in the gym, no makeup that looks like it was put on with an air brush, and so on and so on.

Our standards of beauty have gotten really screwed up. And that's true for men as well. Look at any of the muscle-bound actors in comic book movies. Then go look at a picture of the Village People in their heyday. They look like scrawny little dudes. Back then, they were the epitome of physical attractiveness (at least for gay men).

This is not healthy.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
I posted this in another thread. In the 80's when Tanya Tucker had just switched from her wholesome look to country glam, she was playing up to the camera when the announcer deliberately introduced Emmylou as "Country's Miss America!" The look on Tucker's face was priceless!
Old 11-02-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
FWIW, whenever I hear that album title, I always remember the line from Paul McCartney's 1973 song "Let Me Roll It": 'I can't tell you how I feel, my heart is like a wheel' (from "Band on the Run")
Steve Miller [officially Steve Miller Band] has another song called “Heart Like a Wheel” on his 1981 album “Circle of Love.”
Old 11-02-2019, 10:15 AM

I had the extreme good fortune to be at the Red Fox Inn in Bethesda, MD one night in late 1973 when Emmylou was performing. I was mesmerized by her voice and have been in love with her ever since. After that I heard her on a couple of bluegrass radio stations, but didn't know she made the 'big time' until I stumbled on the Luxury Liner album a few years later.