Old 10-16-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
[Moderating]

Gray Ghost, I know that it's been a while since the TV show ended, but let's still avoid spoilers, shall we?
I sensed a spoiler coming, so I scrolled past as quickly as I could. But I'm one of those "I've been too busy with kids and work; I'll watch that when I'm retired" people.

So I go through major mental gymnastics to avoid plot points for The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men, Battlestar Galactica (both of 'em)...

... and Lost in Space (do NOT tell me how Dr. Smith dies!) (or Jack Bauer or Darren Stevens or Gilligan).
Old 10-16-2019, 09:05 PM

I'd love to see more of Hornblower and the Crisis: who "completed" it?

Shodan, here's a site where you can read "Hornblower and His Majesty"; I don't remember where I found the other 2 but I think it was on a Russian site?
https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20190861

As for books that we'll never see: the last of Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone alphabet series; I don't think that she even had a title for it.

And Jane Austen's Sanditon and The Watsons, both of which have been "completed" by later authors, but IMHO not very well.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:07 PM

The OP mentioned Donald Kingsbury. Well, he apparently spent 20 years writing Courtship Rite and in the meantime has published Psychohistorical Crisis clearly an extension of Asimov's Foundation series (except with all the names changed to avoid copyright problems--for example, Trantor was changed to Splendid Wisdom). He never mentioned to me that he was working on a sequel to Courtship Rite. We were colleagues, although both long retired.

I rather doubt that Steve Brust will ever finish the last five books of the Vlad series. He seems to have lost interest and is currently working on the sixth Khaavren romance. And he smokes like a chimney.

I wish Sharon Shinn would write the obviously required fifth book of her elemental blessings series, but she told me she has no intention of doing so.

And I wish Laura Anne Gilman would write another couple of Wren stories, but I guess she has no intention of doing so. Or more Bonnie stories. She has about the most sympathetic heroines around. As does Sharon Shinn.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:23 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleJesus View Post
I'm going to add Jim Butcher's Dresden Files.

It seems like he's lost interest in the character now that he doesn't need Harry to boost his bottom line.
Peace Talks (the next book in the Dresden Files series) is done and in the hands of the publisher. It should be out next year.

Jim Butcher had a whole lot of crap going on in his life (divorce, his dog died, his new house construction was delayed by a massive amount due to incompetent contractors, etc.) that made it difficult for him to write. He's back on track now, so I think we'll start seeing the books coming faster.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
My comments: Gerrold is never going to finish the Chtorr stories, and that's not a bad thing. They were getting worse as it continued anyway, and I've got no faith in his ability to turn the quality around now.
Aye.

Stephen R. Donaldson (yes, him) will prolly never write another Mick Axebrewder book even tho he says he's working on one.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 10-16-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
Peace Talks (the next book in the Dresden Files series) is done and in the hands of the publisher. It should be out next year.

Jim Butcher had a whole lot of crap going on in his life (divorce, his dog died, his new house construction was delayed by a massive amount due to incompetent contractors, etc.) that made it difficult for him to write. He's back on track now, so I think we'll start seeing the books coming faster.
As long as he gets back to the Cinder Spires sometime soon I'll forgive him the delay on the Dresden Files.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
The OP mentioned Donald Kingsbury. Well, he apparently spent 20 years writing Courtship Rite and in the meantime has published Psychohistorical Crisis clearly an extension of Asimov's Foundation series (except with all the names changed to avoid copyright problems--for example, Trantor was changed to Splendid Wisdom). He never mentioned to me that he was working on a sequel to Courtship Rite. We were colleagues, although both long retired.
Kingsbury has completed drafts of the book and publishers have seen it so the manuscript does exist in some form.

It's apparently one of the earliest things he wrote. I found a 1982 interview where he spoke of it and at that point he said he had been "polishing the manuscript" for thirty-five years. In a 2006 article, he said he was still working on it.

The Finger Pointing Solward may not really be a sequel to Courtship Rite. The two novels share a common background; The Finger Pointing Solward was written first but is set later than Courtship Rite.

So we apparently have a novel that's been around in some completed form since 1947 but still is being revised for publication.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 10-17-2019 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkster View Post
I'd love to see more of Hornblower and the Crisis: who "completed" it?
I linked to two of the completed versions in post #34.

The C. Northcote Parkinson book is available here.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

NM

Last edited by Peter Morris; 10-17-2019 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:39 AM
Charter Member

Can we include movies?

I doubt we'll ever see:
- History of the World part II
- Spaceballs III - The Search For Spaceballs II.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Can we include movies?

I doubt we'll ever see:
I'm not saying that's not a valid topic. But I think it's distinct enough it should get a separate thread.

Making a movie is a collective work. It takes hundreds of people to do it and it costs millions of dollars. So when a movie doesn't get made there can be a vast number of different factors involved.

But a book is pretty much a one person project. When a book doesn't get written, we can focus on why the author didn't write it.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

I must say Douglas Adams has been slacking a bit on Salmon of Doubt. What's the zarking hold up?
Old 10-17-2019, 05:34 AM

Iain M Banks would definitely have written more books on The Culture, amongst other things, if he hadn't died at the age of 59.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:32 AM

I understand that Anne McCaffrey was working on a final tie up to the Dragonriders of Pern series, provisionally titled "After the Fall is Over".

I would like to see that, even though I got fed up with the series after the introduction of modern technology.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Can we include movies?

I doubt we'll ever see:
I have been waiting for this sequel since I was about 10 years old. Come on Mel Brooks what the fuck is taking you so long?!?!
Old 10-17-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post

I've been reading random internet blurbs for years that talk about how Butcher is hard at work writing Peace Talks only to watch him publish another book (I'm not interested in) so you're going to have to forgive me if I have lost the faith.

I mean you can't just turn Butters into a Jedi Knight of the Holy Sword and then just...stop. That's like touching me in the morning and then just walking away...
Old 10-17-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Can we include movies?

I doubt we'll ever see:
On a double bill with "Buckaroo Banzai versus the World Crime League.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:55 AM

I tend to doubt we'll ever see the rest of Geoffrey Chaucer's Caterbury Tales.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
David R. Palmer
The final book in the To Halt Armageddon trilogy.
current status: The first book, Threshold, was published in 1985. It seemed like the series was dead. But then the second book, Special Education, was published this year. So who knows?
IIRC, the afterword to Spēcial Education indicated that Palmer had lost his original outline for the trilogy, so when he finally wrote book 2 he ended up finishing the story off there, without any need for a book 3. In other words, it's now a duology, not a trilogy.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Can we include movies?
Naah, that'd be too easy.

I mean it's top of mind for everyone: we're all just waiting to see the promised Buckaroo Banzai sequel, Remo Williams: The Adventure Continues, and Leonard Parts I, II, III, IV and V.

And virtually NO ONE has forgotten that "In the Next Episode..." teaser in Kung Pow: Enter the Fist, or the "We'll Be Back" freeze-frame at the end of Mac and Me!
Old 10-17-2019, 07:42 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Naah, that'd be too easy.

I mean it's top of mind for everyone: we're all just waiting to see the promised Buckaroo Banzai sequel, Remo Williams: The Adventure Continues, and Leonard Parts I, II, III, IV and V.
To say nothing of Doctor Detroit II: The Revenge of Mom.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
we're all just waiting to see ... [I]Leonard Parts I, II, III, IV and V.
I think I can say with confidence that virtually nobody is waiting to see those.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:15 PM

James Douglass's excellent JFK and the Unspeakable: Why He Died and Why It Matters was published in 2008.

I saw him speak in 2010, and he mentioned that he was writing, or intended to write, a similar treatment of other assassinations; at the time, he stated he was working on a book about the RFK assassination.

In 2012, Gandhi and the Unspeakable: His Final Experiment with Truth was published.

I already know about the "hidden in plain sight" bogus official narrative and cover-up of RFK's assassination-- Lisa Pease's A Lie Too Big to Fail is a cogent exposť-- but I wish Douglass had done the RFK book before Gandhi. It took him 12 years to write the JFK book, and he's not getting any younger, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited by Little BrÝther; 10-18-2019 at 04:17 PM. Reason: corrected wrong HTML tag
Old 10-18-2019, 04:42 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
Not specific books, but J.D. Salinger was a recluse for 50 years, and when he died I heard all about how the books he wrote during that time as a hermit were going to be edited and finally published by his family. But that was 2010, and I haven't heard anything since. Does anybody have the inside scoop? Or has that project died on the vine?
Just yesterday, the Wall Street Journal published an article (behind a paywall) that touched on this subject. Matt Salinger says he's still working on transcribing some of his father's work, but it will be five to seven years before anything is published. He gave no details about what sort of work(s) would be published.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:32 PM

Flashman in America, reloaded

Quote:
That's why I didn't count that as a real part of the series. But I knew if I didn't at least mention them, someone else would.

For what it's worth, there have also been unofficial versions of Flashman's Civil War adventures by other authors.
Really? Where can I find them?
Old 10-18-2019, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayne Ded View Post
Really? Where can I find them?
Two I can think of offhand are Snooks North and South and Snooks The Presidents' Man, both by Peter Brian.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

I'd be very interested in seeing The Captal's Tower. My (fuzzy) recollection is that McKinley was in a bad place in her life that interfered or prevented her writing it when she originally intended to.

I was always hoping that Barry Hughart would write more books about the adventures of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, but now that he's died I'm guessing that won't ever happen.

I'm still hoping for the following:
  • That Patricia Kennealy-Morrison will finish out her Keltiad series, even if it's self-published. I google from time to time, but no word on it.
  • That James Hetley will finish out his Summer Country/Winter Oak series. The Winter Oak ends on a cliffhanger, damnit.
  • That Lilith Saintcrow would consider writing a sequel to The Demon's Librarian. Apparently she always intended this for a standalone, but dangit, there's so much room for more in it and yes, I'm greedy. The concept was interesting and I really liked the characters.
  • That Illona Andrews would consider a full-length novel or two in the world of the Kinsmen, although I admit thinking it might be set in the future of her Hidden Legacy books.
  • Also Illona Andrews, novels set in the world of Alphas: Origins. Their short story for that collection was amazing. Apparently they felt it was too dark and scary, though, and most of their readers didn't like it so it's unlikely.
  • That Diane Duane would continue her Raetian Tales series. She obviously intends more, but only the first has appeared.
  • That Mercedes Lackey would write more books in the Hunter universe. In this case, the publisher didn't want more, which just goes to show that some people are bloody idiots.

Last edited by Morgyn; 10-18-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:58 PM

Henry Darger's The Story of the Vivian Girls, in what is Known as the Realms of the Unreal, of the Glandeco-Angelinnian War Storm, Caused by the Child Slave Rebellion, 15,000 pages, unfinished, unpublished aside from exerpts and supposedly unread - those who tried found it heavy sledding indeed.

Last edited by Hatchie; 10-18-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
I mean, thanks for the edit, I didn't realize I'd committed a faux pas. So I don't do it again, how long in the past must something have occurred before we can discuss it sans spoiler tags? Is saying what "Rosebud" means, OK?
well, since I don't have cable and am waiting patiently for season 8 to be available on disk (even though the least offended comments were that it was 'disappointing') I would say longer than five months, thank you vary much.

'Rosebud' you're pretty safe.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleJesus View Post
I'm going to add Jim Butcher's Dresden Files.

It seems like he's lost interest in the character now that he doesn't need Harry to boost his bottom line.
Can't speak for later volumes but Peace Talks is apparently done now.

Supposed to be out in the spring.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:49 AM

Quote:
I'll admit to being unfair to Forester. All of the other books I mentioned had long periods when people were awaiting them and asking if the author was ever going to finish them.

That was not really the case with Forester. He had slowed his pace somewhat. His most recent completed book had been published in 1962 when he died in 1966. But there's every indication that if he had lived, Hornblower and the Crisis would have been completed and published within a year or two.

As for the unauthorized completions, there's one by John Mahon and one by R.W. Smith in addition to the Parkinson one you mentioned.
The sample of the Mahon looks much more like a fantasy version of Hornblower rather than a completion--Maria's personality has changed completely. The Smith version seems much more faithful.

I refuse to read the Parkinson. I'll never forgive him for his assertion, against all the evidence, that Hornblower killed Captain Sawyer. The copy I read back in 1980 was a library book; if it had been my own copy I'd have thrown it in a fire or a swamp.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:30 AM

For anyone still looking for the Hornblower story "The Hand of Destiny", here's a link
https://www.fadedpage.com/books/20190857/html.php
Old 11-02-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
[*]That Mercedes Lackey would write more books in the Hunter universe. In this case, the publisher didn't want more, which just goes to show that some people are bloody idiots.[/LIST]
I'd like another Diana Tregarde book or few, but Lackey gave the same reason for not writing more of those.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I'll admit I would have put Irontown Blues in this thread up until recently. John Varley said he was planning on a three book series. Steel Beach was published in 1992 and The Golden Globe was published in 1998. Then he went off and started working on other books and it seemed like he was finished with his Eight Worlds work. So I was surprised when Irontown Blues was published last year.
Thanks for this, I love Steel Beach and the Golden Globe. Prompted by this post I found out that the Ophiuchi Hotline was the starting point, and that there is a newish sequel. Two more books for the queue!

-DF
Old 11-02-2019, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

I want one last Thomas Pynchon novel (heís 83). Though I confess I didnít care that much for his last one, 2013ís Bleeding Edge).

Or better yet, what if heís sitting on a whole pile of finished manuscripts that heís instructed his publishers to release posthumously so he doesnít have to deal with the publicity?

(to be clear, this is complete baseless speculation)
Old 11-02-2019, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Still wishing for The World Turned Upside Down and the conclusion of The Historical Illuminatus Chronicles by Robert Anton Wilson. (Author existence failure.)
Old 11-03-2019, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Or the two remaining space monkey books.
Yeah, I'd much rather see more Lovelock than more Alvin.