Old 10-27-2019, 12:17 AM

How to cook a heart

I don't need an answer fast. It will be at least several weeks before I act on this.

But yeah, seriously. I bought a whole beef heart, because I thought it might be interesting and hey, it was there when I was picking up a chicken at the farm. It's frozen, and is now in my freezer. Once I got home, I realized I have no idea what to do with it.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-27-2019, 12:22 AM

Umm...gross.
But I assume you can stew it. Chunked up in even pieces. Lots of onion.
God. That just sounds disgusting.
Delete this.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:03 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Recipe for grilled beef heart steak, which I have had, and loved. Be careful about not grilling it at too high a temperature-otherwise you could get heartburn.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:52 AM
Charter Member

I'm told that ground beef heart is the key to authentic Detroit-style Coney Island chili sauce.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:27 AM

My dad would boil it with spices, grind it up, add mayo, onion, celery and other stuff and turn it into a sandwich spread (similar to ham or egg salad).

Seems like an awful waste of ingredients, the stuff tasted nasty to me.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:27 AM

As a conscientious hunter, I have cooked game animal hearts many times.

As per basic anatomy, the heart has chambers. These often contain semi-dried blood, so the organ should be sliced at least in two and cleaned up inside before cooking.

The heart is dense muscle that turns best IME with slow, hours-long cooking in salty, peppery water with a bay leaf etc. thrown in. Even after that I just find it not too palatable. It's not gross, or tough, or chewy. I think the smooth texture just doesn't sit well with me or my mouth.

Last edited by Toxylon; 10-27-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:00 AM

You could cure it, if you have the possibility to do so. I've only ever eaten reindeer and moose hearts cured, but if done right (not too much salt) it is wonderful.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
My dad would boil it with spices, grind it up, add mayo, onion, celery and other stuff and turn it into a sandwich spread (similar to ham or egg salad).

Seems like an awful waste of ingredients, the stuff tasted nasty to me.
Hmm. I don't care for ham or egg salad, so that isn't going to be my recipe. But thanks.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumpudding View Post
You could cure it, if you have the possibility to do so. I've only ever eaten reindeer and moose hearts cured, but if done right (not too much salt) it is wonderful.
Ooh, that's intriguing.

My husband already announced he won't eat it. So something that extents how long it keeps has dial benefits.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Recipe for grilled beef heart steak, which I have had, and loved. Be careful about not grilling it at too high a temperature-otherwise you could get heartburn.
Ooh, thanks. The comments include several other recipes, too.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Umm...gross.
But I assume you can stew it. Chunked up in even pieces. Lots of onion.
God. That just sounds disgusting.
Delete this.
Wow! I'm shocked!

I opened this specifically to see how many different ways you had to prepare this. Well, that and I couldn't sleep and got nothin' else to do. A first! Something Beck hasn't whipped up in her kitchen of horrors.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Serious Eats has never failed me for a recipe, so I present you, heart four ways!.

I've personally never had beef heart (except maybe ground up with a bunch of other stuff in a sauce or sausage). Chicken hearts, though, I do enjoy. When I was a kid, getting a chicken heart in my bowl of soup was a treat!
Old 10-27-2019, 10:26 AM

I love that she served it with beef penis for Valentines day. "everyone tasted the penis, but they liked the heart" (not an exact quote.)
Old 10-27-2019, 11:21 AM

If you get really good at making this dish, you can ask people to start calling you Captain Beefheart.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:33 AM

Pretty sure that the way to the heart is through the stomach. So... cook it with tripe?
Old 10-27-2019, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Wear sexy clothing. It'll cook faster.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:28 PM

Just treat it like skirt steak. There's almost zero fat on it, relative to pretty much any other cut on the animal, so you want to cook it either high and fast or low and slow.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

First tell him that yours beats only for his, then six months later crush it under foot like an offensive insect.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Treat a heart like a tongue. Simmer slowly with bay leaves, allspice, peppercorns, basically, if you've got corned beef seasoning you've got it made.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Wow! I'm shocked!

I opened this specifically to see how many different ways you had to prepare this. Well, that and I couldn't sleep and got nothin' else to do. A first! Something Beck hasn't whipped up in her kitchen of horrors.
You're breaking my heart
Old 10-27-2019, 04:48 PM

It's a muscle. You cook it, eat it, and it's delicious. You don't need to overthink it, it's not like tongue or liver or tripe. You can trim away any tough parts, butterfly it and grill it for sandwiches.

All for wild game but you can sub beef heart just fine and Hank Shaw has never done me wrong:
https://honest-food.net/grilled-deer-heart-recipe/
https://honest-food.net/wild-game/ve...ger-schnitzel/
Old 10-27-2019, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
I'm told that ground beef heart is the key to authentic Detroit-style Coney Island chili sauce.
Is that true? I'm a Michigander and have had Coney's my whole life. Never heard that. I don't mind if it is true, just curious.

I've only ever had (knowingly) chicken hearts, which were pretty much just roasted on a grill, I think. Pretty good, nothing too amazing.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:37 PM

I bought a beef heart once. Out of most of it I ground and made heartburger. Quite lean and yummy.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:53 PM

Anticuchos! I've never cooked heart myself and have never eaten this exact recipe, but it gives you the gist of what to expect when you order beef heart at a Peruvian restaurant:
https://www.196flavors.com/peru-anticuchos-de-corazon/
Old 10-28-2019, 03:08 PM

With a deer hear I'll slice it thin, bread it in flour and spices and fry it in a shallow pan of oil. It has the texture of a chicken gizzard. I eat it with hot Chinese mustard.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:08 PM

How timely; I too have a heart-o-cow in my freezer. Good ideas here!
Old 10-28-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Chicken hearts, though, I do enjoy. When I was a kid, getting a chicken heart in my bowl of soup was a treat!
It is worth going to a Brazilian Barbecue just for the chicken hearts.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Slice it thin and use it as a substitute in liver and onions.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Is that true? I'm a Michigander and have had Coney's my whole life. Never heard that. I don't mind if it is true, just curious.
That's what Wikipedia says, anyway;

Quote:
The Coney Island developed in Michigan is a natural-casing beef or beef and pork European-style Wiener WŁrstchen (Vienna sausage) of German origin, topped with a beef heart-based sauce, one or two stripes of yellow mustard and diced or chopped onions...

...Flint style is characterized by a dry hot dog topping made with a base of ground beef heart, which is ground to a consistency of fine-ground beef.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post

I've only ever had (knowingly) chicken hearts, which were pretty much just roasted on a grill, I think. Pretty good, nothing too amazing.
I worked at a Coney Island chain when I was in high school. the chili/coney sauce definitely listed beef heart as an ingredient. I know National sells their sauce in some supermarkets, next time I see it I'll try to remember to take a look.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Slice it thin and use it as a substitute in liver and onions.
Nobody wants to eat liver and heart.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:04 PM

??

I love liver and onion.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:43 PM

We use ground beef heart in our homemade sloppy joe.

We also use it in our regular pasta sauce.

Granted, we get it ground from our butcher. We don't buy the whole beef heart.

It works pretty well as a replacement for any recipe calling for leaner ground beef.

(We tried pig heart a few times, but it doesn't work as well. It has a very strong "iron" flavor.)
Old 10-29-2019, 06:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

When I was the meat & poultry buyer at the Park Slope Food Coop, I used to save the beef hearts from our standing order weekly cows for an Ecuadorian co-worker, who grilled them.

Seemed strange to me, because a heart is a well-worked muscle, so I’d assumed it would be tough and need slow braising.

This week’s New Yorker restaurant review is for Llama San, a new Peruvian place in Greenwich Village that specializes in grilled, skewered beef heart. “One of the most delicious parts of a cow, with a juicy texture and clean beefy flavor similar to that of a hangar steak.”

I’ll take their word for it. Never eaten a beef heart, although I used to relish the mixed grill at NYC Argentine restaurants, which offered two kinds of steak, two kinds of sausage (one blood-based), the kidneys, and the sweetbreads.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

It's also tasty when paired up with a fish fillet.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
It's also tasty when paired up with a fish fillet.
The Poor Manís Surf ní Turf!
Old 10-30-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Eat it raw, like Rosemary Wodehouse (but only if you are pregnant with Satan's child)
Old 10-30-2019, 09:56 AM

Ooh glad this got bumped again. Reminded me to get mine out to start defrosting
Old 10-30-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Eat it raw, like Rosemary Wodehouse (but only if you are pregnant with Satan's child)
How about still beating, after being ripped from the body of your victim. That's what I've...heard. HEARD. Yes.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 10-30-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:09 AM

I never would have expected so many people would have recipes for heart o' cow. I also did not recall that what Rosemary ate was the heart. I guess I just thought it was regular raw meat.

Also, am I the only one who, every time I see this thread, sing it to the tune of The Fray's How to Save a Life?
Old 10-30-2019, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

In the book Rosemary's Baby, she finds herself alone in the kitchen at 3 a.m. eating a raw chicken heart. When she sees her reflection in the toaster, she promptly puts the heart down, goes over to the sink and vomits. Which is what I would most likely do in that situation.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
How about still beating, after being ripped from the body of your victim. That's what I've...heard. HEARD. Yes.
Anybody in this thread who is going to make a heart needs to reach for it while chanting "Kali Ma" at least once or else!
Old 11-03-2019, 11:13 AM

This reminds me of high school, when my biology teacher ran around the room squeezing a cow heart so it shot water at us. Then he cooked it into a stew on the burner he kept set up in his classroom. (His wife wouldn't let him live at home, for many reasons.)
Old 11-03-2019, 03:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
In the book Rosemary's Baby, she finds herself alone in the kitchen at 3 a.m. eating a raw chicken heart. When she sees her reflection in the toaster, she promptly puts the heart down, goes over to the sink and vomits. Which is what I would most likely do in that situation.
In Polanskiís movie, she throws a raw steak into a hot skillet, cooks it for a couple seconds a side, then wolfs it down. Then vomits.

Watching an actress consume raw chicken hearts onscreen may have been seen as off-putting. Also Mia Farrow may have had a say in it.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Its actually great in a tartare. I mix it 50/50 with chuck or some other fattier cut to get the right richness. Adds a rich, savory beefiness without overtly tasting like offal.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:05 PM

This doesn't help OP, being in possession of a beef heart, but churrasco restaurants roast chicken hearts on a skewer and they are fantastic.

Many years ago, Publix used to sell canned mock turtle soup, and apparently the mock turtles were diced beef hearts.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
I worked at a Coney Island chain when I was in high school. the chili/coney sauce definitely listed beef heart as an ingredient. I know National sells their sauce in some supermarkets, next time I see it I'll try to remember to take a look.
nope. it's ground beef and textured vegetable protein.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:02 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
The Poor Manís Surf ní Turf!
More like Heart and Sole.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
In Polanskiís movie, she throws a raw steak into a hot skillet, cooks it for a couple seconds a side, then wolfs it down. Then vomits.

Watching an actress consume raw chicken hearts onscreen may have been seen as off-putting. Also Mia Farrow may have had a say in it.
In her memoir What Falls Away, Farrow says that, despite being a vegetarian at the time, she ate the raw beef take after take.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
nope. it's ground beef and textured vegetable protein.
While it may not list it, it seems heart is allowed in ground beef, with the caveat only the muscular portion is used.