Old 09-24-2019, 06:31 PM

Stevie Ray. He was getting better every day. And I figured I'd always have a chance later to see him play.

If Dave Grohl bought the farm, I'd be sad. He's a cool guy, with a mess of kids, and I haven't seen him play yet, either.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:02 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

If Prince were still alive, he'd be my #2, but not my #3.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:43 PM

The deaths that affected me the most were :

1) John Lennon

2) Stan Lee

3) Charles Shulz (creator of "Peanuts)

4) Teresa Graves (the star of the TV show "Get Christie Love", from 1974-1975 ; I had a huge crush on her!)

5) Fred Rogers

Living celebrities whose deaths will affect me :

1) Paul McCartney

2) Ringo Starr

3) Barry Gibb

4) Kate Jackson

5) Lynda Carter
Old 09-25-2019, 05:31 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gytalf2000 View Post

2) Stan Lee

Oh, wow, I forgot these two, too.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:48 PM
A Rather Dubious Fellow Indeed

Afterthought: I'm gonna lose my sh!t if/when Garry Trudeau isn't Doonesbury-ing any longer, whether that's retirement or something more final.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:49 PM

1) Jerry Garcia. I was completely useless for about 4-5 days after he died. Hit me like a ton of bricks.

2) It's really hard to say. If someone I really enjoy dies unexpectedly at a way too young age, it would probably be a bigger blow than someone who's been around a while. For instance, if a car crash or some such thing killed off Stephen Colbert, it would rock me pretty hard, but when Willie Nelson's time comes I'll be deeply saddened by his loss but not devastated like that.

3) I really don't think another celebrity death will ever hit me like Garcia's.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Terry Pratchett.

Not just for the loss of such a brilliant man.

But for the loss of an entire universe, with characters that I knew and deeply loved, which I could never visit again.

REALLY hit hard.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Janis Joplin
Cass Elliot
Leon Russell
Anthony Bourdain
Robert A Heinlein
Old 09-25-2019, 08:21 PM

I too was deeply affected when Terry Pratchett died. I cried for several days and if I think too long about it, I burst into tears still. And the weird thing about how much it affected me is that I haven't been a fan for decades. Only about 6-7 years.

George Michael's passing (which, coincidentally, I found out about while watching Hogfather to unwind from Christmas drama) also still bothers me a lot. I know he wasn't as popular when he died as he was in the 80s and 90s, but I still listen to his music all the time.

I don't want to think about the few celebrities' deaths that would destroy me further. Or they might just bother me so much I shut down. Maybe George and Pterry hit that sweet spot between "oh that's too bad" and "oh no I can't process this. Let's pretend it didn't happen."
Old 09-25-2019, 09:27 PM

Karen Carpenter. Amazing talent.

James Gandofini aka Tony Soprano
Old 09-26-2019, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Stevie Ray. He was getting better every day. And I figured I'd always have a chance later to see him play.
I saw him a few months before he died, during the, "In Step" tour. That one hurt. I was still in my early 20's, a big fan of his, and not experienced in death and loss. I was down for weeks.

I'll agree:
1. Stevie Ray Vaughan was the one that hurt the most so far.

2. I can't say what future celebrity death would affect me most.

I think knowing the answer would insulate me somewhat, prepare me. The one that will hurt worst will hit like lightning out of the blue. "That person is gone? Oh no. . ."

The ones that have hurt most so far have all blindsided me. Jim Henson was a shame, because he was so young, and it seemed so preventable. Robin Williams, because he brought so much joy to everyone, and it was so unexpected. David Bowie's death hit me hard, and I'm not even a big Bowie fan. It just seems wrong for there to be a world without Bowie.

It's impossible to say, of course, which death of the two will affect me most. I think, if some political figure I admired, or some activist working to improve the world were to suddenly die, that would hurt the worst.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gytalf2000 View Post

1) John Lennon

2) Stan Lee

4) Teresa Graves (the star of the TV show "Get Christie Love", from 1974-1975 ; I had a huge crush on her!)

5) Fred Rogers

Living celebrities whose deaths will affect me :

1) Paul McCartney

2) Ringo Starr

3) Barry Gibb

4) Kate Jackson

5) Lynda Carter

As for living celebrities, I want to add a sixth -- Olivia Newton John.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:20 AM

1) Which ones affected me the most: Chris Farley and Phil Hartman. Honorable mention to John Ritter. The day before he died a Three's Company rerun came on and I sat down and watched it, and I don't think I had done that since it's original run. So eerie.

2) Which would affect me the most: Morbid, but probably Bill Hader? Love the guy, he's hilarious and probably the #1 celebrity I'd like to hang out with.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:17 PM

Maya Angelou was like losing a Grandmother. I don't mean that I knew her personally, just that I loved her and looked to her for wisdom. I still feel it in my chest when i think of her being gone from the world.

I was also heartbroken by John Denver's death. Not just the fact of it but the manner. His gentle music gave me solace through a lonely and violent childhood. The idea that he died feeling alone and hopeless hit me like a sledgehammer.

It will be similar, I'm sure, when Jimmy Carter goes. Any time I begin to feel like Diogenes, desperately searching for proof of one good person in the world, I think of him. He's been my proof that good men exist since I was a little girl. I calibrate my moral compass by his actions.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:56 PM

I thought of two:

Being a Pittsburgher, losing Donnie Iris would hurt. The guy was (when I lived there) a Pittsburgh institution.

Christopher Walken won't hit me like a brick, but it will be a less fun, less interesting, less weird world without Walken.

Last edited by Face Intentionally Left Blank; 11-03-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:04 PM

In no particular order;

Jim Henson
Professor Stephen Hawking
Douglas Adams
Terry Pratchett
Old 11-03-2019, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

1. JFK blown away, what else do I have to say?

2,3. Hell if I know. The world will surely surprise me.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:32 PM

As far as celebrity deaths that affected me the most, I think Chris Benoit is the number one. For non-wrestling fans he was the wrestler who killed his wife and son and then himself back in 2007. It was just so shocking to me when it happened and I still don't understand what caused him to snap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_...er_and_suicide

As for living celebrities I'd put Trey Parker and Matt Stone(creators of South Park) up there.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank View Post
Christopher Walken won't hit me like a brick, but it will be a less fun, less interesting, less weird world without Walken.
You know, it's funny, but he was exactly who I thought of when I saw the question about the death of an existing celebrity. There's something so intensely likable about Christopher Walken. He's like the exact opposite of one of those intense, tortured, highly emotional actors or musicians who die in some tragic way - he's like, just, a good dude who doesn't take himself too seriously. He's also one of those guys who has, for lack of a better term, been a "meme before memes were even a thing" - he's been that way for decades, beloved by numerous successive generations and immediately recognizable. Totally unique and unlike anyone else out there. Yeah - the world will be a lot less fun without him.

Last edited by Lamoral; 11-03-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
As far as celebrity deaths that affected me the most, I think Chris Benoit is the number one. For non-wrestling fans he was the wrestler who killed his wife and son and then himself back in 2007. It was just so shocking to me when it happened and I still don't understand what caused him to snap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_...er_and_suicide

As for living celebrities I'd put Trey Parker and Matt Stone(creators of South Park) up there.
Regarding Benoit, he snapped due to CTE from repeated blows to the head. From wiki:

Quote:
Former wrestler Christopher Nowinski stated that Benoit may have been suffering from repeated, untreated concussions throughout his wrestling career, ultimately leading to an unstable mental state. Nowinski was quoted as saying that Benoit "was one of the only guys who would take a chair shot to the back of the head ... which is stupid". Tests conducted on Benoit's brain by Julian Bailes, the head of neurosurgery at West Virginia University, showed "Benoit's brain was so severely damaged it resembled the brain of an 85-year-old Alzheimer's patient". Other tests conducted on Benoit's brain tissue revealed severe chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), and damage to all four lobes of the brain and brain stem. Bailes and his colleagues concluded that repeated concussions can lead to dementia, which can contribute to severe behavioral problems. 
Old 11-04-2019, 01:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

1. the crew of the Challenger, if they count as celebrities. The Columbia disaster didn't affect me to nearly the same degree.
2. & 3. Impossible to predict. It will depend not just on who they are but on their age and how shocking the manner, cause, and timing of their death is. The expected death of a long-ailing elderly celebrity, however much beloved, is bound to affect me less than a brutal sudden death of a young and healthy celebrity.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:33 PM

John Lennon, 1980. The world was never the same for me after that. Someone murdered a *Beatle*.

Not yet, but I am not going to be okay if/when:

The Queen dies. I'm sorry, but she's been on the money, on the stamps, just part of the structure of life since before I was born. If there was ever a sign of stability and history, growing up with the Queen just always being there, no matter what, has been it for me.

Bruce Springsteen. I will be devastated.

Last edited by Savannah; 11-11-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

When the last Beatle (Paul or Ringo) dies, it will definitely be the end of an era.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:21 AM

John Lennon. It happened the same day I found out my first husband was cheating on me, and I moved out that same day. Got an apt., moved my shit, then went to class ( I was in night school and had a final). I got home to a strange place, in a strange neighborhood, a little apt. full of boxes and crap. I remember I was so lost, I locked the door, and pushed a chair in front of it. Then poured a stiffie, went to the bedroom and hooked up the TV on a milk crate. Bam, the first thing I saw was John Lennon shot and killed. I don't know if I've ever cried that hard except when a loved one died.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:37 AM

Wow, no Canadians here eh? For me, the celebrity loss that made me actually cry was Gord Downie. And I didn't cry, I wept.

I think he is going to live forever but I will be taking the day off to mourn should tragedy ever befall William Shatner.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:23 AM

Freddie Mercury's Death was the first one that really registered with me. I was 16, just discovering his Music and was blown away that he COULD die.
Sir Terry Pratchetts Death felt extremely personal - I had been following his fight for the right to choose his own way to go. Reading his later books was like seeing him lose the fight to dementia and saying goodbye at the same time. It was also at the time I finally had decided to start writing seriously at last, and he is still one of my literary heroes. Realizing that I would never be able to meet him and thank him was awful.

Neil Gaiman will never die, he will ascend to a higher plane of existence to join the Endless - but I will still cry.