Old 10-14-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
I watched it back-to-back with the final episode of Breaking Bad so the Brotherhood compound scene was fresh in my mind. This really did pick up right where that ended.
I was trying to figure out the timeline and how much time passed between events. There was the shoot-out, Jesse fled with the El Camino passing the police who were arriving at the scene, and went directly to Badger & Pete's house where he crashed till morning?
So, overnight the police identified Todd, figured out what kind of car he drove, activated the lo-jack, and raided his apartment and then abandoned it? That's some brisk police work for just arriving at a multiple homicide scene.
I think it was a couple of days. I think the Skinny Pete and ____ house scenes are 2-3 days at least. The PTSD and exhaustion took him out of commission for a few days at least.

I understand that Kandy Welding connection, but I don't understand why Jesse wasn't more livid at the welder who actually did the work!?! Or why that welder didn't know better what was going on? Surely he would have immediately recognized Jesse.

My favorite scene was definitely the shootout. 1. Jesse not playing by the rules and having two guns showing that he learned "Walt's" lessons well. 2. But they didn't really clearly show the 2nd gun and what had happened- so they called back to it with the "you're on fire". 3. After the first shot the lack of accuracy and aiming resulting only finally in a lethal hit. 4. Jesse got what he came for so he let the others go- including the welder- as he just wanted out. And he only wanted the $1800 to start. 5. The explosion- totally unnecessary and over the top (Gus Fring face-like and the bathtub dropping through the floor).

The refrigerator introduction was also genius- "oh, truly a bachelor pad with no food", but I picked up immediately that it was Chekhov's gun. There was a bit of car fun with the Fiero and El Camino as well.

But I think it was the BBC review that said, "Breaking Bad hasn't aged well in this time of the anti-hero... this would have been much better if they had given us Skyler's story instead of the obvious easy one." and I agree. Following Skyler's life would have been a much better character piece. How much did she know? How much of it did she help build? Would she see through the donation to Walt Jr.? Would she become an empire builder of her own? What was she capable of?

Instead we only get one female character, the one who ODed. And another embodied in a snowglobe. I liked it more while I watched than in retrospect as it didn't go anywhere new... or interesting.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:34 PM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disheavel View Post
4. Jesse got what he came for so he let the others go- including the welder- as he just wanted out. And he only wanted the $1800 to start. 5. The explosion- totally unnecessary and over the top (Gus Fring face-like and the bathtub dropping through the floor).
psssst.. Jesse shot the guy who did the welding work. The welder had cut his hair and shaved between doing the work and meeting Jesse at Todd's apartment. The guy with long hair Jesse let go had nothing to do with Jesse.

Blowing up the yard? Why not? I'd want to destroy the kind of place that was knowingly doing that kind of shitty work for the Ayran Brotherhood. If I was a criminal running from the law that had just shot two guys in a shootout, why not? If nothing else, it would make it more difficult to find my fingerprints at that crime scene.

I read the review on the BBC that also wished the movie was about someone else. Ehh, sorry, but Jesse was the character the fans wanted to know more about at this point. Additionally, you'd have to work really hard to make Skyler's life after BB interesting in the same way that a bunch of criminal's lives seem, unless she broke bad herself. But, I somehow don't think that's the plot arc these criticisms are aiming for.

So, in the end I feel it was a pretty good two hour BB episode. It had pacing issues, and could have been lit a bit better in some scenes, but it was far from the worst episode.

Last edited by scabpicker; 10-14-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:40 PM

We also have seen Skylar's life post Walt. Yeah, he stopped by for a little before the shootout, but I don't think that would have affected her much more than the events of season 5. Her story was already concluded.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:55 PM

Honestly I was more less interested in Jesse's escape story than in Jesse in another ten years. He's not really concluded in my mind.

Skylar's future arc holds no interest to me at all. I'm more interested in how her now widowed sister Marie's future play out than in Skylar's.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:19 AM

I'm the opposite. I think there could be an interesting story arc for Skylar. The problem is that would likely include Flynn. I don't want that. I have no desire to see Marie.
Skylar has already shown she could be creative when it comes to Breaking Bad. The Fed likely seized all of her assets. She has to dig her way out of that hole somehow.
The most interesting arc is partially being done already. Saul Goodman. It's all well and good on how he became Saul Goodman; but I could watch a series based on the court cases where he sleazily works as Saul too. I'm assume the Better Call Saul series will pretty much be over once he completes the transition; which is too bad.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post
I'm assume the Better Call Saul series will pretty much be over once he completes the transition; which is too bad.
When BCS started, a lot of people were asking when Walt will show up, will Jesse be in the show, when does he change his name to Saul. At some point Vince explained that once those wheels are in motion, BCS is basically over so maybe we shouldn't be hoping for it to happen too soon.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:13 PM

This other thread is pretty far gone on the spoiler front. So I've asked the admins to just add **spoilers** to its title and merge it with this one. Please put any further posts over there until they get around to it.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzled View Post
. . .
It made sense to me that the vacuum cleaner man would make a deal over $1800. He's a stickler for details and his word is his bond. If he's expected to keep his word to every last detail then he expects the same of his clients.
. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
I could see his point. Everyone has a sad story and if he eats $1800 for one client, it won't be the last time he does it.
. . .
It makes perfect sense to me. His encounter with Jesse was becoming a cascade of exceptions. Doesn't know the password, doesn't call the phone per protocol, already had his chance and blew it off - isn't supposed to have another one coming. Lou has to maintain strict control or his services are useless. And he had to regain control over Jesse.

Plus, he was going to be leaving Jesse without even five bucks for gas. Hardly an auspicious beginning. By forcing him to go out and get more he assumed Jesse would come back with more than the minimum, which he did.

Honestly, the one thing that struck me wrong was Jesse forcing himself into that tiny space in the U-Haul. Anyone could see why it was necessary, but I don't think a man with his layers of abuse could have made himself do it, much less willed himself to remain silent in there. Prisoners who spend too much time in isolation forget all about filtering the noises they make.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbesojumpy View Post
Todd got fat.
Let's not start body-shaming. Actors are actual humans.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

Since this has apparently morphed into a spoilers thread, I'm reflecting that in the title. And I'm also merging in another thread started by TruCelt, who didn't realize that this thread was already getting spoilery.

The usual practice, though, would in fact to be to start a new thread once folks start seeing it and wanting to talk about spoilers.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
The usual practice, though, would in fact to be to start a new thread once folks start seeing it and wanting to talk about spoilers.
Which is exactly what PeacePlease did. His thread should never have been merged.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey1505 View Post
I enjoyed the cameo character about halfway through.
Are you referring to Marla Gibbs, best known for her roles as the live-in maid, Florence, from The Jeffersons?

She's the lady in the vacuum cleaner shop wanting a replacement or repair for her old Kirby.

It was a nice little touch and I'm not sure I would have recognized her had she not appeared in the live production of The Jeffersons a few months back.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:38 PM

So I was confused about the lo-jack. Someone here said the cops "activated it". I could imagine that being true for newer cars (though it makes me a bit uncomfortable if that's so), but an old car like an El Camino? I had assumed this meant the FBI or someone was already watching Todd but had not fully closed in on the operation yet by the time Walt strafed them with bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
Did I miss the scene, or did they edit out the Skinny Pete interrogation scene that was shown in the Trailer? I'm pretty ticked off about that, but I was also walking around baking, so maybe I missed it.

I assume when they filmed that, they never had any intention to actually make it part of the show, that it was created to be a teaser.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:01 AM

Lojack can be bought and installed by 3rd parties by the owner. Since at least the 80s.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Lojack can be bought and installed by 3rd parties by the owner. Since at least the 80s.

Okay, but why would someone running a giant multinational meth operation install one that can be accessed by the police?
Old 10-16-2019, 01:16 AM
Charter Member

.... I.... well, you see... it's like... you know....

Damn. That's a good question.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Okay, but why would someone running a giant multinational meth operation install one that can be accessed by the police?
Meth heads aren't exactly bright. He may not have even known the car had it when he bought it. But also, if I remember right, the police can't activate it without the owners consent...or a warrant. Which I imagine the cops got as soon as they found his corpse and ran his info...
Old 10-16-2019, 03:45 AM

Was Todd a meth head? I had the impression he didn't use drugs at all.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:23 AM

I never got the impression he was.
As an aside, the actor who played the "cleaner" passed away recently. Rest in peace.

Though oddly his methods of disappearing, already straining credibility in 2010, are unlikely to help anyone remain hidden these days. At least people who are being activly searched for. The powers that be have our biometric info and we keep inputting it into various devices and databases, knowingly and unkowingly....won't be long before Jessie is caught because his face was caught by a street camera which was linked to a datanbase and which pings the authorities.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:01 PM

I'll miss Mr. White, but I'm glad for Pinkman's sake he's dead. One or two more adventures together and they would have become a live action Rick and Morty show. I'm interested to see where they go with this.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:29 AM

I love Bryan Cranston’s performance, but his appearance was arguable the least interesting part of El Camino.

Kudos to a Aaron Paul. He was phenomenal.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:46 AM

When I watched it, the main part of Walter White's appearance that I really enjoyed was the surprise of his coming out of the hotel room. We were sort of tricked into thinking this was present day Jesse and boom, out comes Walter White. But listening to the Slate Culture Gabfest, I was persuaded that it was also genius to have Walt seem to be kind of believing in Jesse, but let it slip that he assumed Jesse was a high school dropout even though Walt had been right there when Jesse walked across the stage.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Was Todd a meth head? I had the impression he didn't use drugs at all.
He was addicted to Star Trek themed online gaming.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:08 PM

Black Mirror reference, nice. He was also great in Fargo, Game Night, and FNL back in the day. But how did his face get so puffy? Does he have some kind of condition?
Old 10-18-2019, 04:14 PM

All that soup, his sodium must have been sky high and he was retaining water.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:00 AM

AV Club posted a pretty good recap, and some good commentary:

El Camino gives the Breaking Bad-verse its first redemption story
Old 10-19-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
And why would you install one on an El Camino???
Old 10-20-2019, 01:14 PM

After all that Huell is still in the safe house...
Old 10-22-2019, 02:05 AM
Charter Member

Huh. That was the okayest thing I've ever seen.

It was fine, it was entertaining, I enjoyed watching it, but it told a story I didn't particularly need to see. Breaking Bad finished off perfectly, Jesse's ending was just fine, what happened to him was pretty much along the lines of what I would've imagined happened to him. It just didn't particularly feel like a story that needed to be told or anything that adds anything to Breaking Bad. But it was still entertaining and I liked watching it, so......... okay.

I guess it's weird to take something that ended on a high note, and then just sort of add two extra episodes that aren't really necessary and aren't particularly great on top of that finish. They should've either just left it to stand as a finished product, or told some sort of story that you wouldn't expect. This just felt unnecessary.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:23 PM

I liked it more than you did, but it's interesting to me that by my count, Vince Gilligan has now essentially written five Breaking Bad finales: "Face Off", "Ozymandias", "Granite State", "Felina", and now "El Camino".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post

Also a great question!

Last edited by SlackerInc; 10-22-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:10 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Well, you're hiding cash in random hidey-holes in the house, you like your El Camino SS, it's really easy to steal. Why not splurge a little?

Plus, it seems exactly the kind of thing a guy like Todd would do. I mean, he bought an 80's El Camino in the first place. If I had meth gangster money, I'd get one made before '72.

And now, I'm thinking "Am I any better than Todd with his demented '80s car lust?" And the answer is, "Yes. But not by enough."

Last edited by scabpicker; 10-23-2019 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I prefer the 69-70 El Caminos but Todd's was old enough to be interesting, appeared to be in excellent condition, probably had a small V8 and was probably fun to drive. It was his baby and I wouldn't be surprised at all that he'd put a Low-Jac in it. Living in a milieu populated by thieves and other assorted criminals and druggies it would make sense.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
Well, you're hiding cash in random hidey-holes in the house, you like your El Camino SS, it's really easy to steal. Why not splurge a little?
That made me think of something. Since Todd had his cash stashed in random places, it's plausible he had some hidden in his El Camino, too. Like maybe inside the door panels, or under the bed liner, or stuffed inside the spare tire. And hense the Low-Jac to locate not just the car,* but the money hidden inside it. I mean if I were him I wouldn't hide all of it in one place.

*Or is it a truck? I'm never sure what to call an El Camino.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:36 PM

My initial guess on the Lo Jack thing was that maybe one of the AB assholes was actually working for the FBI/DEA and had put one on all of the vehicles at the compound along with an inventory of all of the vehicles in the hands of law enforcement. So after a day or so of them working the scene they figure out what was missing from the scene and go looking for it. But it's more likely that Todd installed it, and after they ID'ed his body at the scene they figured out what car(s) he might have owned and activated the device when they learned it had one.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:18 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
LoJack wasn't that expensive back then. Todd loved the car, it was obviously in really good shape.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:28 PM

Todd killing his cleaning lady because she found his money is believable, that’s something that character would do, but Todd even having a cleaning lady isn’t.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:33 AM

Just saw it, enjoyed it a lot. Liked the fact that Todd remains an enigmatic character and they did not just indulge in scenes of him acting sadistic / violently insane...his personality remains consistent with how it was written in BB, oddly polite and soft-spoken, childlike, and deceptively slow-witted while still being cutthroat. Loved the Disappearer. Loved the Fiero (I suspect this movie will have raised some interest in this still-affordable 80s relic) and the Land Cruiser at the end. (Don't really care for El Caminos to begin with, and thought the topper made it look even worse.)

This movie demonstrated to me that the team of people involved in the creation of both Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul have nailed the art of making a stylistically and thematically consistent product. I hope they continue.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbesojumpy View Post
Todd got fat.
I'm not convinced he got fat. I think he bulked up. It was very evident in his role in Fargo, where he was possibly more ripped. I did wonder how they'd do it if he was appearing, and they didn't, they only partly showed him at first, hiding his body shape change.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Badger owning a freaking Fiero, a car I forgot about 20 years ago.
I just noticed something while I was poking around the Internet Movie Car Database. Badger had apparently already been shown driving the Fiero in a couple of scenes in Breaking Bad. Which means they didn't just decide to have him driving it for the El Camino movie. They actually remembered or went back and checked what Badger drove in BB, and went through the effort of getting the same car for El Camino.

Man, Vince Gilligan is nothing if not a stickler for little details like that. I mean, only the most obsessive Breaking Bad fan would have remembered what car Badger drove. All of us obviously didn't. They could have used something else and most of us wouldn't have noticed. But they didn't. They actually got the same car they used in Breaking Bad. Now that is attention to detail and continuity.