Old 07-13-2019, 11:05 AM

Heads up, Roku users: really OLD classic TV shows being added to Roku Channel

I subscribe to the Roku Guide. It comes out weekly with new programs added to the Roku channel. (If you have a Roku, you know there's a Roku channel, right?)

Recent classic TV shows now available on the Roku channel. There are others that are too old even for me to remember. But these were some we watched regularly back in the day.
Note: the quality is NOT good. These are black & white and did I mention the quality is not good? Good.
  • Topper (Leo G. Carroll with ghosts George and Marian Kirby)
  • Burns & Allen ("Say goodnight, Gracie")
  • Bachelor Father (John Forsythe before Dynasty)
  • Death Valley Days (Ronnie before he was The Prez)
  • Private Secretary (Ann Sothern as "Foxy" McNamara)
  • The Falcon (George Sanders as a good guy, for a change)
  • Batman & Robin (Adam West in the baggy tights)
  • Our Miss Brooks (adorable Eve Arden, Richard Crenna, Gale Gordon)
  • Life of Riley (William Bendix tackles Life's Problems)
  • Stories of the Century (Jim Davis before Dallas-- I developed a life-long thing for him when I was age 6. Does that make me precocious?)

There are lots of other shows, too, but not much that I find worthwhile. You might see something you like.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:36 AM

Whirlybirds? Sea Hunt? The Lone Ranger? Love That Bob? The Adventures of Superman?

I think Adam West is better known for the Bat Bulge than for his baggy tights.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Whirlybirds? Sea Hunt? The Lone Ranger? Love That Bob? The Adventures of Superman?

I think Adam West is better known for the Bat Bulge than for his baggy tights.
Not sure about those (I remember them all!), but keep an eye on the site.

I meant to say that you can add the programs from your computer. There's a link in the Roku Guide. Much easier than trying to find them on your TV.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:30 PM

Apologies-- I have to correct myself. You aren't adding these shows to the Roku Channel, you're adding them to the Roku AS channels. So after you add them, you'll find the programs with their own tiles/icons/badges in the main Roku menu next to Amazon, Hulu, AcornTV, Netflix, etc.

There is a Roku Channel, too, and it's got a lot of stuff on it.

Sorry for any confusion. Carry on.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

I have one of those Roku TVs, made by Insignia. Been watching their Cold Case Files channel, called Cold Case Files Classic. They also have a channel for the old "Unsolved Mysteries" with Robert Stack but nowadays every time I put one on it's an episode I've seen recently.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
The Falcon (George Sanders as a good guy, for a change)
How do they pronounce "falcon"? I'm curious about the evolution of its pronunciation.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
How do they pronounce "falcon"? I'm curious about the evolution of its pronunciation.
I dunno. I haven't watched it. I assume like the bird, i.e., accent on the first syllable, not to rhyme with tromBONE (accent on the second syllable).
Old 07-13-2019, 03:56 PM

Sanders was also The Saint (Simon Templar) back in the '40s.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I dunno. I haven't watched it. I assume like the bird, i.e., accent on the first syllable, not to rhyme with tromBONE (accent on the second syllable).
The common pronunciation, of course is with the first syllable to rhyme with pal. The less common (older?) is with the first syllable to rhyme with ball.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
I have one of those Roku TVs, made by Insignia. Been watching their Cold Case Files channel, called Cold Case Files Classic. They also have a channel for the old "Unsolved Mysteries" with Robert Stack but nowadays every time I put one on it's an episode I've seen recently.
Oh, these are channels on Pluto TV.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
[*]Batman & Robin (Adam West in the baggy tights)
Baggy tights, yes, but not Adam west. This happens to be a movie serial from 1949.

Quote:
Quick Look: Batman and Robin is a 15-chapter serial released in 1949 that features the first appearance of the caped crusader and his trusty ward Robin. In this adventure the dynamic duo take on The Wizard and his gang of evil-doers who have stolen a device which enables them to control any automobile within a 50 mile radius. The only thing stopping them is a fuel source for the apparatus (which happens to be diamonds) and the Dynamic Duo.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
The common pronunciation, of course is with the first syllable to rhyme with pal. The less common (older?) is with the first syllable to rhyme with ball.
If you notice, Humphrey Bogart and everyone else in the movie pronounces it as the Maltese "faw-kin."

Radio versions of the character from the 40s and 50s also use faw-kin.

But now, it's usually pronounced "Fal-kin." There seems to be a shift from one to the other. I know the reason for it -- words change pronunciation to match their spelling (e.g., often, where the "t" was silent for centuries). I'm trying to get an idea as to when the change happened.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you notice, Humphrey Bogart and everyone else in the movie pronounces it as the Maltese "faw-kin."

Radio versions of the character from the 40s and 50s also use faw-kin.

But now, it's usually pronounced "Fal-kin." There seems to be a shift from one to the other. I know the reason for it -- words change pronunciation to match their spelling (e.g., often, where the "t" was silent for centuries). I'm trying to get an idea as to when the change happened.
Huh. You’re right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phUxnXGhEiI
Old 07-13-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
Baggy tights, yes, but not Adam west. This happens to be a movie serial from 1949.
Oh goodness. I humbly stand corrected.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:38 AM

Other new old shows newly added to Roku (may have the whole series or only some episodes):
  • Adventures in Paradise - Episodes from the James Michener TV series about the the schooner Tiki III, which sailed the South Pacific looking for passengers and adventure (Gardner McKay)
  • The Westerner - An American Western series TV series from 1960 about a cowboy that wanders the Wild West with his faithful dog Brown (Brian Keith - only 13 episodes filmed)
  • Tightrope - A 1959/60 drama series about an undercover police officer who infiltrates organized crime (Mike Connors)
  • Whirlybirds - A 1957 drama/adventure television series about the owners of a fictitious helicopter chartering company in the American West
  • Whispering Smith - A 1960s western detective series staring Audie Murphy
  • Trouble with Father - Episodes of the 1950s TV sitcom also known as "The Stu Erwin Show"
  • Combat - A 1960s World War II TV drama series about an American infantry squad as they battled their way across Europe (Vic Morrow)
Old 08-10-2019, 09:05 AM

More old shows just added:
  • Honey West - A 1960s crime drama TV series with Anne Francis (of the beauty mark)
  • Iron Horse - A 1960s Western TV series about a fictional gambler-turned-railroad baron - Dale Roberston (had a crush on him, too)
  • Casey Jones - A 1950s American Western TV series about the adventures of railroad engineer Casey Jones and the crew of the Cannonball Express steam locomotive - Alan Hale, Jr., later of Gilligan's Island
  • Meet Corliss Archer - A 1954 series about a pert blond teenager who must balance her life at school, her lovable but goofy boyfriend Dexter, and her well-meaning but clueless parents
  • Seaway - A 1960s Canadian drama series about the investigation of shipping crimes on the St. Lawrence Seaway
  • Racket Squad - Episodes of a 1950s crime anthology TV series
  • T.H.E. Cat - A 1960s American action drama TV series about "T. Hewitt Edward Cat, a retired acrobat (also a retired thief) who has become a bodyguard. He works out of his friend's café, "El Casa del Gato" (The House of the Cat), where he uses his skills to protect his clients. Stars Robert Loggia.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:47 PM

Update- just added:
  • "The Four Just Men" is a 1959 television series based on a sequence of novels by Edgar Wallace. The series revolves around four men who meet as Allied soldiers in Italy during WWII and fight crime from different regions of the world. I never saw or even heard of this series, but check out the cast: Richard Conte as Jeff Ryder, Dan Dailey as Tim Collier, Jack Hawkins as Ben Manfred and Vittorio De Sica as Ricco Poccari.
  • "The Bob Cummings Show," ("Love that Bob") was a TV sitcom that aired from 1955 to 1959. The show starred Robert Cummings who played playboy photographer Bob Collins and his nosy match-making sister Charmaine "Schultzy" Shultz, played by Ann B. Davis (aka Alice from the Brady Bunch), who was always trying to get him to settle down with a nice woman.
  • "Richard Diamond Private Detective" is a crime drama that starred David Janssen as a former New York City police officer who relocates to Los Angeles (season 2) and becomes a private investigator, where he eventually settles in the Hollywood Hills entertaining young beautiful women when he is not solving a case. Sam the operator is only shown in profile from the shoulders down seated in front of a switchboard, in tight fitting dresses, legs crossed, and usually dangling a stiletto-heeled shoe from her toe as she delivers Richard's messages in a breathy low husky voice. She was played by Mary Tyler Moore, but her face was never revealed.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
[*]Stories of the Century (Jim Davis before Dallas-- I developed a life-long thing for him when I was age 6. Does that make me precocious?)
Got news for you: I was horny as hell for Marilyn Monroe when I was four, after my mother dragged me along with her to see Some Like It Hot.

"You shouldn't take him to see movies like that!"
"Oh, he doesn't know what he's looking at."

Oh, ho! Yes, I did, Mom! I most certainly did!

Last edited by terentii; 08-17-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:18 PM

IIRC, the "T" in "T. Hewitt Edward Cat" stood for "Thomas." Geddit? "Tom Cat."
Old 08-17-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Got news for you: I was horny as hell for Marilyn Monroe when I was four, after my mother dragged me along with her to see Some Like It Hot.

"You shouldn't take him to see movies like that!"
"Oh, he doesn't know what he's looking at."

Oh, ho! Yes, I did, Mom! I most certainly did!
Old 08-24-2019, 08:45 AM

Old film channels just added:

*The Alfred Hitchcock Films channel is a collection of 14 of his films from the 1920s through the40s. He is known as the "Master of Suspense" and directed over 50 feature films over a career that lasted 6 decades. The films are organized according to the decade they were released and include these titles:
  • 1940s - 4 titles - Lifeboat (1944), Notorious (1946), Rebecca (1940) and Rope( 1948)
  • 1930s - 9 titles including 39 Steps (1935), Waltzes from Vienna (1934), Jamaica (1939), and Sabotage(1936)
  • 1920s - Easy Virtue (1927)

*The Cary Grant Films channel contains eight films from the 1930s and 40s starring one of Hollywood's most prominent stars of the time. The following titles are available.
  • The Amazing Adventure (1936)
  • Topper (1937)
  • His Girl Friday (1940)
  • The Philadelphia Story (1940)
  • Suspicion (1941)
  • Penny Serenade (1941)
  • Suspicion (1941)
  • Notorious (1946)

*The Clark Gable Films channel contains seven films from the 1930s and 40s starring the man often referred to as "The King of Hollywood." The following titles are currently available:
  • The Painted Desert (1931)
  • Too Hot to Handle (1938)
  • It happened One Night (1934)
  • Call of the Wild (1936)
  • San Francisco (1936)
  • Command Decision (1948)
  • Honky Tonk (1941)

*Humphrey Bogart Films is a cinematic anthology of films that span three decades, chronicling Bogart's long career from the early 1930s through the 50s. The films are organized according to the decade they were released and include the following titles:
  • 1930s - 7 films including Petrified Forest(1936), Black Legion (1937), and Midnight (1934)
  • 1940s - 8 films including Key Largo (1948), Sahara(1943), and The Maltese Falcon (1941)
  • 1950s - 3 films - The Devil(1954), Chain Lightning(1950), and Deadline USA(1952)

*James (Jimmy) Stewart is one of the more popular stars in film history from the early era of film. He was known for his distinctive drawl, down-to-earth persona, and authentic acting style. Stewart's film career spanned over 55 years and included performances in 80 films. The James Stewart Films channel contains 14 films from the 1930s, 40s and 50s, including some notable titles. (Unfortunately, "It's a Wonderful Life" (1946) is not among them.) The channel does offer some other popular films that he made, including the following:
  • 1930s - 6 titles that include Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939), Speed (1936) and Can't Take it With You (1938)
  • 1940s - 4 titles - Pot O Gold (1941), The Philadelphia Story (1949), The Stratton Story (2949) and Call Northside777 (1948)
  • 1950s - 4 films - The Far Country (1954), Winchester 73 (1950), Harvey (1950) and The FBI Story (1959)

*Spencer Tracy Films offers the following nine films starring Spencer Tracy, known as one of the major stars of Hollywood's Golden Age:
  • 20,000 Years in Sing Sing (1932)
  • Bottoms Up (1934)
  • Dante's Inferno (1935)
  • Face the Sky (1933)
  • Man's Castle (1933)
  • Marie Galante (1934)
  • Riffraff (1936)
  • San Francisco (1936)
  • Test Pilot (1938)
Old 08-24-2019, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

I love my Roku! Thank you for posting this. Lots to check out.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
I love my Roku! Thank you for posting this. Lots to check out.
Thanks for the note. I wasn't 100% sure anyone was reading it.

You can subscribe here: https://www.rokuguide.com/

I love my Roku, too!
Old 08-25-2019, 10:53 PM

Thanks, ThelmaLou!
Old 08-25-2019, 10:56 PM

You're quite welcome!
Old 08-26-2019, 12:52 PM

OMG, a Cary Grant channel. I may NEVER leave the house!

BTW,Roku is wrong. But we will forgive Roku because I love Roku. Ann B. Davis was not Bob's sister on Love That Bob. His sister (Margaret) was played by Rosemary DeCamp, and her son was played by Dwayne Hickman, later to star in Dobie Gillis.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedin View Post
OMG, a Cary Grant channel. I may NEVER leave the house!

BTW,Roku is wrong. But we will forgive Roku because I love Roku. Ann B. Davis was not Bob's sister on Love That Bob. His sister (Margaret) was played by Rosemary DeCamp, and her son was played by Dwayne Hickman, later to star in Dobie Gillis.
EEK! You are so right! I can't believe I didn't catch that. <Hangs head in shame while simultaneously flogging self with lengths of 35 mm film> Schultzy was Bob's assistant.

Here's a bit of Rosemary DeCamp trivia from IMDB:
Quote:
On July 7, 1946, [Rosemary] and her husband were in their house in Beverly Hills, California, when an aircraft crashed into the roof of the house next door, and its wing cut through the roof of her house and landed in the bedroom, where she and her husband were. The plane, an experimental model called the XF-11, had experienced mechanical problems after taking off from the airport at nearby Culver City. It was piloted by Howard Hughes, and finally came to rest after crashing through the wall of the house of another of DeCamp's neighbors and exploding. Hughes was rescued from the cockpit by a bystander and, although receiving several broken bones, burns and gashes, was not severely injured and eventually made a full recovery. He paid for the damage to the houses in the neighborhood out of his own pocket.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:05 PM

I just added bunches o’ channels. One is Film Noir Flix which has such great movies as White Heat, Shadow of a Doubt, and Strangers on a Train.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:04 AM

Roku news!

Now available on the Roku channel for free (with very short commercials), the brilliant 2003-2010 series Cold Case, not to be confused with Cold Case Files or any other show with the words "cold" or "case" in the name. (This is not a new Roku channel per se.)

Quote:
Lilly Rush is a Philadelphia police detective working for the department's homicide squad and being assigned "cold cases": crimes that were committed many years before and have not been solved. Lilly must try to re-think the crime scenes and interview other people involved with the victims to find a link to solving the cases.
Detective Lilly Rush is played by Kathryn Morris, she of the exquisite porcelain skin, and one of the first messy ponytails to be found on a TV cop. She's got some great colleagues and (refreshingly) a smart and supportive boss. I'm a big one to re-watch a series many times, but after I went through this one once, I couldn't watch it again-- they were so poignant and heart-wrenching. Enough time has elapsed that I'm going to venture in again.

If you don't like flashbacks, then skip it, because as the re-opened investigation proceeds, we flip to the principals as they were then, when the original crime was committed, and back to now, as they help or hinder the new look at past events. The scenes set in the past have a SFX overlay (took me a while to figure that out ). Some of the cold cases are fairly recent, may be only a few years, and some are decades earlier. Inevitably the case is solved and resolved, leaving this viewer satisfied, if emotionally wrung out. Give it a look, Roku owners.

ETA: comment from an IMDB reviewer--
Quote:
The show never ceases to amaze me and touch me in ways most television shows cannot. Somehow it seeps under your skin because you know thousands of people in the real world live with the things that go on in the episodes. Kathryn Morris gives a stellar performance each week and always has the audience rooting for her to kick some butt. The editing is unique, as well, and I think the strongest tactic the show uses is how they always wrap up the case and the episode by arresting the person as they are now, but never failing to cut to show what they would look like if they had gotten arrested when they first committed the crime.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 11-04-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:30 PM

Thank you ThelmaLou. I just dug out my old Roku and connected it to our TV at our 'away' place. This is going to be very useful information.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Unrelated, but watching a few old 1930s murder mysteries, I was surprised to hear "suspect" being pronounced with the accent on the second syllable. I guessed it was because the verb form was pronounced that way and was transferred to the noun form, but it eventually drifted to the stress on the first syllable.