Old 11-01-2019, 01:59 PM

Anyone remember: 60s hamburger place with "Papa Bear, Mama Bear, Baby Bear" burgers?

A couple of times as a kid in the 60s I visited Texas and we ate at a hamburger place with "Papa Bear, Mama Bear, Baby Bear" burgers in different sizes. I have no memory of the restaurant name and googllng doesn't bring anything up. I do remember paper napkins with the bears printed on them.

This thread http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=884699 with its reference to A&W and its Papa, Mama and Baby burgers made me wonder whether the Papa Bear was an A&W knockoff?

https://www.google.com/search?q=A%26...9fH1iSIjkI3yM:
Old 11-01-2019, 02:15 PM

Looks like they were the mascots of A&W at one time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A%26W_Restaurants#Mascots
Old 11-01-2019, 02:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I can confirm that it was A&W from personal experience.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:34 PM

I loved going to A&W. I remember the pride I felt when I finally graduated to the Papa Bear burger. But best of all was the root beer in the frosty mug.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Refilling the gallon jugs at the drive-up every Friday.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:42 PM

And taking the gallon jugs with a heckuva lot of popcorn to the Drive-In Theater.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:42 PM

In the Chicago area, we had the Golden Bear restaurants with a Mama, Papa, Baby bear theme. Don't know if they reached Texas or were just regional. You can see their menu here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/25692985@N07/13889786356/
Old 11-01-2019, 03:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
In the Chicago area, we had the Golden Bear restaurants with a Mama, Papa, Baby bear theme. Don't know if they reached Texas or were just regional. You can see their menu here:
A lot of info about the Golden Bear chain at the Forgotten Chicago Forum.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:10 PM

Didn't A&W have a barbecued beef sandwich? I remember eating those with their root beer when I was a little kid. They were great!

I've eaten at A&W only a couple of times in the last 40 years. Do they still make the barbecued beef sandwich?

Last edited by terentii; 11-01-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:21 PM

A&W had Mamma burger, Poppa Burger, Baby burger and Teen burger but no "bear" in the names. There was the Root-bear mascot but that was later as I recall. The burger family has been resurrected, at least in Canada, as a kinda nostalgia thing.

If the OP really remembers a bear family, that could be one of the outfits mentioned upthread.

Has A&W declined in the US?. In the drive-in restaurant thread, people are talking as if it has become rare.

Let's all go to A&W
Food's more fun at A&W
Have a mug of root beer, or maybe two or three
Pick the perfect burger from the Burger Family
Let's all go to A&W
Food's more fun at A&W
Hop in the car
Come as you are...
To A&W
Old 11-01-2019, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74westy View Post
A&W had Mamma burger, Poppa Burger, Baby burger and Teen burger but no "bear" in the names. There was the Root-bear mascot but that was later as I recall. The burger family has been resurrected, at least in Canada, as a kinda nostalgia thing.

If the OP really remembers a bear family, that could be one of the outfits mentioned upthread.

Has A&W declined in the US?. In the drive-in restaurant thread, people are talking as if it has become rare.

Let's all go to A&W
Food's more fun at A&W
Have a mug of root beer, or maybe two or three
Pick the perfect burger from the Burger Family
Let's all go to A&W
Food's more fun at A&W
Hop in the car
Come as you are...
To A&W
That's how I remember it. Loved me some A&W and also Arctic Circle, neither of which are seen much these days unless you're in Utah or Idaho (for AC). Only 3 A&Ws in the Portland area. We used to cruise "the gut" in Anchorage, drinking root beer out of the quart cone-shaped containers.

I'm actually surprised that either franchise is still able to compete with McD or the others. Perhaps they've gone on the cheap with ingredients like the big guys in order to keep their doors open.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:54 PM

A&W is doing much better in Canada these days... And I just had an extra large "Uncle" sized burger so the tradition and thought is still in the company somewhere.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
It's hard to see, but I think that menu has a "Papa Golden Bear burger" but not a Mama Bear or Baby Bear Burger. Although maybe there was a kids' menu?

I remember eating at Golden Bear as a kid (the Springfield, IL location, mentioned in Czarcasm's link). I almost always got pancakes.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
I loved going to A&W. I remember the pride I felt when I finally graduated to the Papa Bear burger. But best of all was the root beer in the frosty mug.
Anyone remember trying to drink out of the quart-size "megaphones"?... impossible without getting a face-full at some point.

I'm sure they thought we'd be genteelly pouring it into frosty mugs, but we couldn't resist pulling the waxed paper seal off the end (yes, you drank out of the small end), and tipping it up until we got a tidal wave of root beer all over our chins and shirts.

Last edited by digs; 11-01-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disheavel View Post
A&W is doing much better in Canada these days... And I just had an extra large "Uncle" sized burger so the tradition and thought is still in the company somewhere.
A&W Canada is now entirely separate from A&W US. They have joint rights to the trademarks and things like the burger family, but they're a going concern here.

Have gone all-in on no hormone meat, locally sourced wheat, etc. They've been steadily tearing down the dilapidated 80s style restaurants in my area and building sleek new ones. Their burgers and fries are way better than MickeyD's.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:18 PM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Last standalone, car service A&W hereabouts closed several years ago, leaving only those co-located with KFC. I believe they have a Papa burger, but not the others.

Random memory from the '60s: another standalone A&W, which was demolished to make way for a (non-interstellar) bypass, had fries that were made from some sort of potato paste which was extruded directly into the deep fryer. At any rate, they had a distinctly odd texture. Anyone else recall something similar?
Old 11-01-2019, 10:18 PM

A&W is frequently co-located with KFC restaurants. I've seen them in both Oregon and CA.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:28 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
A&W is frequently co-located with KFC restaurants. I've seen them in both Oregon and CA.
In the US, A&W was owned by Yum! (which also owns KFC, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut) from 2002 until 2011. Yum! (which, at that point, was called Tricon) bought a company called Yorkshire Global Restaurants in 2002, and thus obtained both A&W and Long John Silvers. In the years that followed, Yum! created a lot of co-located restaurants like that, with various permutations of the five chains that they owned.

In 2011, Yum! sold off A&W and Long John Silvers, to different buyer groups. I suspect that any A&Ws which still share a restaurant with a Yum! brand are remnants of the era when Yum! owned A&W.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

A&W's are easy to find in Montreal. There's one about 100 meters from where I'm sitting right now.

I have vague childhood memories of visiting one in the suburbs west of the city circa 1974. They had carhops on roller skates.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:01 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Golden Bear! Golden Bear!
A honey of a place (of a place)
Where food is fun!
Golden Bear!

Their song was on their napkins, along with the music. Never heard it played, but we sang it when drunk and dining there. Ah, the 70's.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I'm 40 and I've rarely seen A&W outside of limited mall food court versions, a couple co-branded (a la KFC/LJS, Pizza Hut/Taco Bell YUM brands fast food stops) stores, and the rare Interstate exit location on a long road trip. I think ate there once when I was starving and there was nothing else around. I can't recall anything about the food. I've probably eaten at Roy Rogers more in the past 20 years and they are very rare.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:48 PM

There hasn't been an A&W within a hundred miles of us in quite a while. (Their store locater says it's only a 1:41 drive. Nice.) The one that had been nearish to us was one of those gawdawful KFC combo things. Barely had a menu at all.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:28 AM

Quote:

Yes, I definitely do remember a bear family. Either the napkins or the burger paper wrappers had cartoon bear heads on them. I was 7 or 8 and remember a heated discussion with my older sister as to whether I was big enough to order a Mama Bear or whether I was still a baby and had to stay with the Baby bear.

The dates I saw them were 1966 - 1968. Before and after those dates we lived too far away to visit Texas. The wikipedia link says that the bear mascot was introduced in the 70s?

Here's a site that says "the venerable “Papa Bear” triple cheeseburger . . . . I would’ve gotten the “Papa Bear,” but it’s not listed on the menu, and no one mentioned that it was still being served until after I’d eaten. (A&W used to have the Papa, Mama and Baby Bear burgers, in descending order of size.) "
https://www.leoweekly.com/2006/04/di...a-dying-breed/
Old 11-03-2019, 01:56 AM

Missed the edit window to clarify that I know it was 1966 - 1968 in Texas because I wasn't living in the US at the time and the trips to TX were a big treat. After those trips I didn't return to the US until the 80s.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:48 AM

Quote:
I’d really like to know who thought “Teen sauce” was a good name for a condiment.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:49 AM
Charter Member

ISTR a Midwestern A&W competitor which also had a cartoony bear mascot. Like a polar bear in a blue sweater and maybe a blue stocking cap.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
ISTR a Midwestern A&W competitor which also had a cartoony bear mascot. Like a polar bear in a blue sweater and maybe a blue stocking cap.
Did it look like this?
Old 11-03-2019, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Did it look like this?
No, more like the ICEE bear but wearing all blue and definitely a root beer mascot.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

I want to say Frostie but I can't find any evidence that they used any mascot other than the ice skater guy.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:54 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

The "Golden Bear" restaurant song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofb4o34WtE8
Old 11-03-2019, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
A&W's are easy to find in Montreal. There's one about 100 meters from where I'm sitting right now.

I have vague childhood memories of visiting one in the suburbs west of the city circa 1974. They had carhops on roller skates.
Yes, I remember sitting in the car as a wee Piper and the girls (always girls) rollerskating our order to the car and putting the tray on the window.

Meant we were in the Big City!
Old 11-03-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Their song was on their napkins, along with the music.
Interesting.

At least once and more often twice a month I'll maow down a Mozza Burger and (high quality!) fries at my local A+W, which recently completed a fancy-ass reno. Miss the drive-in style with the roller-skate waitresses. There's four locations left here - another one at a local food court always has the largest lineups, and usually a five or six customer wait at the local one, so I figure with their re-vamped healthier menu they're, well, at least thriving.

Ah, also miss the good ole Canadian A+W Root Bear. Catchy number to whistle.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
It's hard to see, but I think that menu has a "Papa Golden Bear burger" but not a Mama Bear or Baby Bear Burger. Although maybe there was a kids' menu?
The Mama Bear was the Garden Salad and Baby Bear had Chicken Snacks. Also, each had their own breakfast item.

Not exactly as the OP (and that seems to have been a different restaurant entirely) but I thought close enough to possibly match 40+ year old memories of a restaurant menu.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
That's how I remember it. Loved me some A&W and also Arctic Circle, neither of which are seen much these days unless you're in Utah or Idaho (for AC). Only 3 A&Ws in the Portland area. We used to cruise "the gut" in Anchorage, drinking root beer out of the quart cone-shaped containers.

I'm actually surprised that either franchise is still able to compete with McD or the others. Perhaps they've gone on the cheap with ingredients like the big guys in order to keep their doors open.
LOL, you and I must be the last people on earth who remember Arctic Circle outside of Idaho and Utah residents. My mother used the local library as her child minder when I was a kid, and many's the night when she worked late and dinner was from the Arctic Circle just down the street.

I haven't been to one since I was a pre-teen, but I blame them for a lifelong addiction to fry sauce.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Yes, I remember sitting in the car as a wee Piper and the girls (always girls) rollerskating our order to the car and putting the tray on the window.
I remember one such A&W in Toronto, with the tray on the window and roller-skating carhops. It was a treat to go there when I was a child.

Some years ago, I was flying out of Toronto Pearson. An A&W had just opened in the domestic departures, and to celebrate the opening, every customer would get a small stuffed Root Bear. Well, I needed lunch anyway, so with time to kill before my flight, I got a meal, and a Root Bear. He's not very big--he could fit inside a pop can--but he's a genuine Root Bear. I still have him.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:11 AM

There's still one "old timey" carhop drive-in in Atlanta: The Varsity. Here's an article from last year when they celebrated their 90th year. Note the bit on the 87 year old carhop guy. Been working there 70 years. So not all guys even back in the 50-60s.

One word of advice: this is a place for grease lovers only. If you like your arteries, you'll hate this food. It is really quite disgusting if you have any sort of developed palate.

(The Varsity has more locations than the original now. Those don't seem to "count".)
Old 11-04-2019, 10:04 AM

I remember the Golden Bear restaurant in the relatively small city of Kokomo, Indiana, where I grew up. I had no idea that it was a chain; I always thought it was unique to Kokomo.

I loved that place as a kid; we used to go there for breakfast every Sunday after church. I remember almost getting into a fist fight with some guy at school who said that their food sucked.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:52 PM

Yes, A&W. I used to go to the place that was half A&W / half KFC, in Shoreline, WA where I was raising my son. He'd just drink the root bear...it's still awesome...and I usually had a cheeseburger.

Not quite to my taste. They were dry and a bit blackened, and the mustard made them bitter. I usually felt a bit bad afterwards so we only went there once in a while. (This was between 2010 and 2015.)

I do remember also going to the A&W in southern Wisconsin in the 70's, where they definitely had Papa, Mama and baby burgers, which my big brother always had. I just drank the root beer

Last edited by Limmin; 11-04-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:25 AM

I grew up in Mt. Pleasant IA in the late 60's and going to A&W was a big treat. I see there is still one there, but apparently part of a BP station now. Is that common?