Old 10-23-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Movies these days often show several people as "producer." 12 Years a Slave had seven producers including Brad Pitt. Do all of them get credit for an Oscar if the film wins Best Picture?
The informative quote that answered you might guide us away from Mr. Pitt as a recipient. However, I remember reading that he was instrumental in gathering the investors to produce the picture. That’s normally Executive Producer material, but he was listed as Producer.

The rules are wonky, agreed. But in this case, I do believe that he Produced that film to the extent that a statuette was justified.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I’m not so sure. From what I understand the Hamilton movie is just the stage show that was once filmed. I have my doubts that it would be nominated for anything. Any song would have to be written for the movie and not from the stage show. It has to be an original song.

Maybe more likely is the movie coming out next year based on his earlier musical In the Heights
I didn't know a stage version had been filmed. I was referring to the inevitable big budget film that will be made someday.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:40 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
I didn't know a stage version had been filmed. I was referring to the inevitable big budget film that will be made someday.
Apparently they have been sitting on it for awhile. They didn’t want to hurt live sales. It was filmed at the end of Miranda’s run. It may come out next year. Releasing that and a Hollywood remake seems risky.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Funnily enough he contributes nothing (I think thats what he said) to Mary Poppins Returns music writing, so thats a non-starter.

He'll just have to wait for the inevitable boatload of Oscars Hamilton will get. I'm sure he'll at least get it as a producer on Best Picture.
He's doing some songs (with Alan Menken) for the upcoming live action Little Mermaid.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Apparently they have been sitting on it for awhile. They didn’t want to hurt live sales. It was filmed at the end of Miranda’s run. It may come out next year. Releasing that and a Hollywood remake seems risky.
I don't know if this is what you're thinking of, but many theater shows are filmed for the New York Public Library.

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 10-23-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:15 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I don't know if this is what you're thinking of, but many theater shows are filmed for the New York Public Library.
I can only go by what I read I have no personal knowledge. I read that they filmed the stage production for movie theater release but they have been holding on to it.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoreply View Post
They only lost because the Academy refused to nominate "Uncle Fucka," which was the standout song of that movie.
The Academy did not "refuse" to nominate it. Songs have to be submitted by the film for consideration and "Blame Canada!" was the sole song submitted by the SOUTH PARK team. I think this was a smart movie because

(a) nothing with that much profanity (and, to be frank, a very thin amount of lyrical content otherwise) would have had a chance in Hell of getting nominated.

(b) "Blame Canada!" actually plays a significant part in moving the film's story along, which was becoming more and more of an important criteria for the Music branch.

(c) Any musical film that submits more than one song runs a risk of splitting the vote in the long run (Note DREAMGIRLS and ENCHANTED for notable recent examples). So they put all their eggs in the "Blame Canada!" basket and it scored them a nod, which was a tiny miracle in and of itself. Well-deserved but still outside the Academy's typical tastes (remember, this was before any hip hop song had ever won as proof that the Academy's tastes were broadening).
Old 10-24-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Another Oscar winner for best short is Christine Lahti. She was nominated for Swing Shift but her win came from her short.
The Live Action short category has yielded quite a few other nominations for famous actors who have never earned a nod otherwise: Jeff Goldblum, JoBeth Williams, Peter Weller, Griffin Dunne, Peter Riegert, John Astin as well as his son Sean. Kenneth Branagh and Dyan Cannon have nods in this category too (but they've earned other nods besides Live Action Short). Jim Henson's only Oscar nod was here, as well.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
And oddly, although not listed as an Oscar winner, Walton Goggins received the Oscar with McKinnon and Blount and even gave a speech: The Accountant Wins Live Action Short: 2002 Oscars. So maybe he has one of the two they received.
It's not uncommon for non-recipients to join their colleagues on stage in a spirit of solidarity. Al Gore famously gave an acceptance speech for THE INCONVENIENT TRUTH, but he does not have an actual Oscar himself.

Goggins is not listed in the Academy's awards database as a winner or nominee.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
I just learned that Taikia Waititi (sorry I probably butchered that) of Thor Ragnarok fame has one for a short he did.
He was nominated but didn't win for his short TWO CARS, ONE NIGHT.

Other notable feature directors who have only won for a short include Taylor Hackford (AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN), Martin McDonagh (THREE BILLBOARDS...), Terry George (HOTEL RWANDA), Andrea Arnold (AMERICAN HONEY) and David Frankel (THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA).,
Old 10-25-2019, 01:07 PM

Lionel Ritchie has an Oscar for "Say You, Say Me" from the movie White Knights.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:45 AM

You maybe remember Grant Heslov in TRUE LIES: there’s Arnold Schwarzenegger, and there’s Tom Arnold, and there’s — the actor playing the junior agent? New guy on the team? Goes undercover as a newsman to shoot some bad guys? Says a terrorist they’re hunting calls himself The Sand Spider, gets asked why by Charlton Heston, and replies: “Probably because it sounds scary”...?

Yeah, he’s got an Oscar.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:20 PM

As I'm watching Watchmen on HBO, I'm reminded that Trent Reznor (Of Nine in Nails fame) has an Oscar for his soundtrack to The Social Network.

Never would have predicted that in the 90s
Old 10-29-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
As I'm watching Watchmen on HBO, I'm reminded that Trent Reznor (Of Nine in Nails fame) has an Oscar for his soundtrack to The Social Network.

Never would have predicted that in the 90s
Look out, someday Nine inch Nails will get to be elevated into the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame...
Old 10-30-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
Look out, someday Nine inch Nails will get to be elevated into the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame...
That wouldn't surprise 90s me. NIN is a very popular and influential band who do rock and roll...it makes sense they'll go to the HoF. But having the lead guy score movies? Not create a hit song for a movie that matches super well and winning for that (ala Eminem or Tech 9ine) but actually scoring the movie like a composer? Crazy.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
That wouldn't surprise 90s me. NIN is a very popular and influential band who do rock and roll...it makes sense they'll go to the HoF. But having the lead guy score movies? Not create a hit song for a movie that matches super well and winning for that (ala Eminem or Tech 9ine) but actually scoring the movie like a composer? Crazy.
Ditto David Byrne of Talking Heads, Oscar-winner for the score for THE LAST EMPEROR.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Lionel Ritchie has an Oscar for "Say You, Say Me" from the movie White Knights.
The film takes place in northern-most Russia, where the sun doesn't set for half the year. So it's WHITE NIGHTS (no K).
Old 10-30-2019, 02:31 PM
Charter Jays Fan

It'd be a bit harder to come up with a surprising acting win, I'd think. I don't mean ones that people bitch about, like Marisa Tomei; that's not surprising because everyone complains about it.

I don't think a lot of people would know Goldie Hawn is an Oscar-winning actress, but she is.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
It'd be a bit harder to come up with a surprising acting win, I'd think. I don't mean ones that people bitch about, like Marisa Tomei; that's not surprising because everyone complains about it.

I don't think a lot of people would know Goldie Hawn is an Oscar-winning actress, but she is.
It'd be easier to make a nominations list on this one. Oprah and Lady Gaga come to mind.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Not a person, but the movie Bill and Coo won a special honorary Oscar I 1948. It's a movie starring birds, with no people in it. Really. And it's not a documentary:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039188/
Old 11-01-2019, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Willis O'Brien, who did the effects for King Kong, did not receive an Oscar for that film, despite that film's impact. There was no Oscar for effects in 1933. (King Kong got no Oscars that year in any category. Cavalcade won for Best Picture. Goldner and Turner, in their book The Making of King Kong (1976) title one of their chapters "Remember Cavalcade?", clearly miffed. But that film had standing to justify that choice. It's based on a Noel Coward play, and was the second most popular film of the year and the top grossing film. Kong wasn't even in the top ten (although, with re-releases in subsequent years, it beat all of them.)

O'Brien received his Oscar in 1950 for work on Mighty Joe Young.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Willis O'Brien, who did the effects for King Kong, did not receive an Oscar for that film, despite that film's impact. There was no Oscar for effects in 1933. (King Kong got no Oscars that year in any category. Cavalcade won for Best Picture. Goldner and Turner, in their book The Making of King Kong (1976) title one of their chapters "Remember Cavalcade?", clearly miffed. But that film had standing to justify that choice. It's based on a Noel Coward play, and was the second most popular film of the year and the top grossing film. Kong wasn't even in the top ten (although, with re-releases in subsequent years, it beat all of them.)

O'Brien received his Oscar in 1950 for work on Mighty Joe Young.
Similarly, Ray Harryhausen, stop-motion VFX legend, never received an Oscar nomination his entire career (and all his films *were* eligible, but were rarely prestige projects at major studios). He received the Gordon E. Sawyer award--the Honorary Oscar given by the Scientific and Technical branches of AMPAS.

Another winner of the Gordon E. Sawyer was Douglas Trumbull, VFX genius behind Blade Runner, Close Encounters and the first Star Trek film--all nominations he lost. He actually had a rightful claim to the VFX Oscar that 2001: A Space Odyssey won, since it's not uncommon for Special Effects supervisors to share credit now, but back then director Stanley Kubrick was listed as the VFX "designer", so he was the only one cited for the Oscar (which would be Stanley's only Academy win). Starting in the 70s, all VFX winners have been multiple individuals collaborating on a film.

Last edited by MovieMogul; 11-01-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:38 PM

Casey Affleck. How he has an Oscar and Denzel Washington doesn't is one of the great mysteries of the universe. He is a totally unremarkable actor, and "Manchester by the Sea" did absolutely nothing for me.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Casey Affleck. How he has an Oscar and Denzel Washington doesn't is one of the great mysteries of the universe. He is a totally unremarkable actor, and "Manchester by the Sea" did absolutely nothing for me.
Denzel Washington has 2 Oscars--one for Lead and one for Supporting Actor.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I believe Casey Affleck also has claims of harassment against him. And I was beaten to the punch to point out Denzel Washington has 2 Oscars, not zero.

I'm trying to think who is the top movie talent without an Oscar. I can't think of too much now. Used to be Gary Oldman and Martin Scorcese. No more, though.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I believe Casey Affleck also has claims of harassment against him. And I was beaten to the punch to point out Denzel Washington has 2 Oscars, not zero.

I'm trying to think who is the top movie talent without an Oscar. I can't think of too much now. Used to be Gary Oldman and Martin Scorcese. No more, though.
Tom Cruise? Say what you will about him, and he's stopped trying for the most part, but he's still a good actor who has been in a lot of dramatic, Oscar-winning movies
Old 11-01-2019, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Tom Cruise? Say what you will about him, and he's stopped trying for the most part, but he's still a good actor who has been in a lot of dramatic, Oscar-winning movies
I thought about that and I think he missed it with Magnolia. And, yes, I think after Magnolia and Eyes Wide Shut, he kind of just went all in on making big movies. He's a great picker and rarely makes a terrible movie. I think he is unlikely to get an acting Oscar, but perhaps he produces some of the movies and can land a Oscar there?
Old 11-01-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Amy Adams? 6 nominations, no wins. She wasn't even nominated for Arrival, which is just bizarre.

Last edited by Baron Greenback; 11-01-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Interestingly, looks like Joaquin Phoenix is the guy to beat for Best Actor, in a role that’s nothing like his Oscar-nominated performance as Johnny Cash, which was nothing like his Oscar-nominated performance as the Emperor in Gladiator.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
Quote:
Amy Adams? 6 nominations, no wins. She wasn't even nominated for Arrival, which is just bizarre.
Glenn Close has her beat with seven nominations. She was favored to win for The Wife a couple of years ago, but didn't.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:50 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Close and Adams are pretty good choices for most snubbed.

Robert Redford never won an Oscar for acting, which I think might surprise a lot of people. He won one for directing.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Glenn Close has her beat with seven nominations. She was favored to win for The Wife a couple of years ago, but didn't.
That was earlier this calendar year (though yes, it *did* feel like a long time ago, didn't it?)
Old 11-03-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I believe the Afflecks and Matt Damon have four Oscar wins among them.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yep. 2 for Ben. 1 for Casey. 1 for Matt.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:41 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
But only Casey Affleck's Oscar was for acting, and while they have four statuettes, they only have three Oscars in the sense of winning three awards in a category; Damon and Ben Affelck won an Oscar for the same thing, writing "Good Will Hunting."
Old 11-04-2019, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Estelle Parsons, best know for playing Roseanne's mother Beverly Harris won an Oscar for her portrayal of Bonnie & Clyde's Blanche Barrow in 2967, and was nominated the following year for her portrayal of Calla Mackie in Rachel Rachel.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 11-04-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:20 PM

Hal Ashby. Not for directing. For editing In the Heat of the Night.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:45 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Not a person, but the movie Bill and Coo won a special honorary Oscar I 1948. It's a movie starring birds, with no people in it. Really. And it's not a documentary:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039188/
Thanks for that. Now I've got to watch it.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
But only Casey Affleck's Oscar was for acting, and while they have four statuettes, they only have three Oscars in the sense of winning three awards in a category; Damon and Ben Affelck won an Oscar for the same thing, writing "Good Will Hunting."
William Goldman wrote that script.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk