Old 10-21-2019, 02:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Store brand foods that are better than the original products

I'm a Diet Dr. Pepper fan so I stopped by Walmart before work this morning to pick a bottle up, but they were out so I grabbed the in-house Dr. Thunder instead...and liked it even more. Same goes for the in-house version of Chili-Cheese Fritos.
Are there in-house products you like better than the originals?

Last edited by Bone; 10-21-2019 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Fixed typo in thread title per OP request
Old 10-21-2019, 03:14 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Small aside: Did you know that there are over 50 different in-store versions of Dr. Pepper out there?
Old 10-21-2019, 03:37 PM

The supermarket I usually shop at (a DC/Baltimore regional chain called "Shoppers") sells "Culinary Circle" frozen pizzas. It's a generic brand I've seen in other stores. One of their lines is a thin crust pizza that I'd compare favorably to the California Pizza Kitchen frozen pizzas, at half the price.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Small aside: Did you know that there are over 50 different in-store versions of Dr. Pepper out there?
I was hoping for a line up... 50+ Doctors 'side-by-each'...
Old 10-21-2019, 04:00 PM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

Trader Joe's Stone Ground Wheat Crackers is the store brand equivalent of Red Oval Farms Stoned Wheat Thins. The Trader Joe's crackers are crisper and have a better overall texture. Most of TJ's store brands are just rebranded products, and the two crackers look very similar, but the ingredient lists are somewhat different, so I doubt they're made by the same company.

Last edited by Jeff Lichtman; 10-21-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:21 PM

Fareway chicken soup is much better than Campbell's chicken soup. That's just one example.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

I don't know what one specific product you'd call the "original", but Aldi's house brand of tea, Benner's, is pretty good, certainly better than Lipton's, for a fraction of the price of anything else.

And I don't know of any other easy American source for super-dark chocolate.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:47 PM

I'm not sure if they still sell them, but Wal-Mart used to have store brand chocolate chip cookies that were way better than Chips Ahoy and many other name brand cookies (I'm not sure what chocolate chip cookie you'd call the "original"). It seemed like the President's Choice cookies sold at Harris Teeter in the southeast were the same ones; they tasted exactly the same to me.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:18 PM

I like the Safeway Signature Select brand of lasagna better than Stouffer’s. My husband agreed that he liked it better two. I have tried their frozen pizzas and liked them very much too.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:53 PM

I find most of Wal-Mart's store brand foods to be at least equal to if not better than the originals. Some standouts:

1. Their knock-off Oreo/Hydrox cookies are great. Other chain's "Oreo" cookies were overly dry and almost uneatable.

2. Their canned pasta I found too be just as good as the Chef Boyardee/SpaghettiO originals.

3. Most of their canned soda---cola and ginger ale I drink mostly---I find just as good as the name brands.

4. Their ice cream sandwiches are great as well.

5. Their dry pasta and pasta sauces I use regularly and I always like its quality.

I'd be hard pressed to think of any of the store brand Wal-Mart food that isn't good.

Last edited by dorvann; 10-21-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Aldi is a huge winner here, though none of their brands are specifically store brand.

Clancy chips equal or better any main brand. They also have great flavors like Garlic Bread, which is one of the better chips on the market. $1.29 a full-size bag at my home stores.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:12 PM

I prefer Kroger Cola Oh to 'real' Coke. And its zero calorie.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Aldi is a huge winner here, though none of their brands are specifically store brand.

Clancy chips equal or better any main brand.
I don't understand this statement; all the Aldi brands are store brands.

Costco's Kirkland brand is supposedly as good or better than the original products.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Not food but the toilet paper from the Dollar Tree is as good or better than most national brands
Old 10-24-2019, 06:28 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Generally I find store brands to be at least as good as the national brands 80 or 90 percent of the time. There are a few things they just can't seem to get quite right. There is nothing quite like real Coke, for instance.

I've never once been disappointed with a Wegmans store brand. Their ground canned coffee is especially good, far superior to Folgers, Maxwell House, and the like.

Hannaford, a regional chain here in New England, sells the best frozen pizza I've ever had.

The best root beer I ever had was the store brand of a small regional chain in West Virginia whose name escapes me. I haven't had it since I moved away decades ago.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

The knockoff La Croix unsweetened grapefruit sparkling water at Aldi is great and quite a bit cheaper. Aldi's Bella Vie brand is $2.89/12pk to LC at 4.99/12, maybe $4.50 or 2/$9 on sale.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:32 PM

The no name at all tortilla chips sold in a clear bag with a twist tie. They have a crunch, texture, and saltiness similar to my favorite texmex restuarant. Not sure if made there or carted in, but I can eat a whole bag with my homemade salsa in one sitting. No other packaged brand even comes close.

Walmart bluejeans, not sure what brand that is. Perfect for working outside or as casual wear. I can buy 3 pair for the price of one Levi's

OTC meds. 1/2 or 1/3 the price of Claritin, Nyquil, or Tylenol.

Back to food... whip cream. Store brand tastes creamier and feels whippier.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:08 AM

I used to go out of my way to get Winn-Dixie brand hot and spicy ramen noodles. I probably still would if there were any Winn-Dixies left and I didn't have to watch my salt intake.

Clover Valley (Dollar General) corn chips are better than Fritos, IMHO.

As to Oreos- Well, Oreos are quite good. Hydrox were better. In store brands, there are some differences in textures and taste. However, I have never tasted any store brand Oreo-like cooky that wasn't pretty good. The same goes for the vanilla ones.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I'm not sure if they still sell them, but Wal-Mart used to have store brand chocolate chip cookies that were way better than Chips Ahoy and many other name brand cookies (I'm not sure what chocolate chip cookie you'd call the "original"). It seemed like the President's Choice cookies sold at Harris Teeter in the southeast were the same ones; they tasted exactly the same to me.
Our local store, Giant has their brand of chocolate cookies that are also much better than Chips Ahoy.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:57 AM

I have to agree with another poster. There are very few WalMart brand (Great Value & Equate) items that aren't just as good or better than the originals. WalMart has some cookies out just for the fall season that are really good.

Kwik Trip's taco flavored tortilla chips are AMAZING. Much better than the Doritos version.

Aldi's potato chips are pretty good - Although the last couple of times I purchased them, there wasn't a single chip bigger than a quarter .
Old 10-30-2019, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

I've got a feeling that they're all distributed by the same company. I've found that Publix, Giant and Shoppers brand tomato juice are all better than Campbell's

Or maybe it's not that hard to make good tomato juice.

Last edited by furryman; 10-30-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Store brands are sometimes simply white-labeled name brands, though I don't know how often this is. For example, in the meat department, I've watched them shelve store-brand chicken from both Sanderson Farms and Tyson boxes.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:54 PM

Spartan Stores, a Grand Rapids-based grocer recently bought out Nash Finch from Minnesota, had their store brands, and I loved their sandwich cookies. Much better than Oreos, even if they did occasionally change manufacturer. Now all the Spartan Brands have been replaced with the Nash Finch "Our Family" in the stores that used to carry Spartan Brand stuff, and they don't make sandwich cookies. A real loss for me.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I don't know what one specific product you'd call the "original", but Aldi's house brand of tea, Benner's, is pretty good, certainly better than Lipton's, for a fraction of the price of anything else.
Aldi coffee is surprisingly solid for the price as well. Barissimo is the brand name I recall...

I don't know if Wal-Mart's personal care/pharmacy products are BETTER than the name-brand equivalents, but in many cases, they're equivalent and much cheaper. I mean, why buy name-brand Advil if you can buy Equate ibuprofen for 1/3 the cost?
Old 11-05-2019, 05:03 PM

Another vote for WalMart. Their generic medications are identical to the brand names, at much reduced prices. And their canned soda brand is excellent. And I just made some of their coffee, and I like it quite a bit.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:03 PM

A lot of store brand items are from the exact same production lines as the name-brand, just with a different label.

One difference I noticed, when I was looking for ricotta for a recipe that explicitly said to avoid ricotta with stabilizers/thickeners added. The store brand was the version without any additives while the name-brands all had some.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:29 PM

I've never seen "better", but I've seen "equal quality and no reason not to buy it if it's cheaper."
Old 11-06-2019, 12:36 PM

I thought of one... Kroger's Private Selection hot dogs are stellar- both the regular all-beef and the brisket ones. Better than Oscar Mayer, Ball Park and most other brands.

https://www.kroger.com/p/private-sel.../0001111000637
Old 11-06-2019, 03:34 PM

H-E-B (popular store chain in Texas) sells a couple of fantastic pasta sauces under one of their in-house labels. The one with black olives and capers is better than any sauce I've had, anywhere. The spicy red pepper version is outstanding, too.