Old 10-25-2019, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

Evil, TV show (Many spoilers)!

Ok, I have now watched all the currently broadcast episodes of Evil, the CBS series.

And even tho the acting is pretty good, I have had enough.

The female protagonist has four little daughters. And now, in every single epi, the daughters have been put at risk. In one epi, a baby was tossed into a pool.

I thought putting little kids at risk was a sorta new no=no? for TV?

Anyway, that's enough of that.

What does everyone else think? The reviewers seem to like it, based mainly on the showrunner.

Last edited by DrDeth; 10-25-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:57 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

I'm about to give up on it too, albeit for different reasons. I'm not that fond of little kids on serious paranormal-type shows, and as you mentioned, the main character has four of them. Too much kid-based plotline. Also, the demon guy makes me so angry I want to reach through the TV screen and strangle him. I know that's what he's supposed to do, but I don't find watching him get away with stuff to be enjoyable.

Combine that with their coy "is it really supernatural or not" thing and I'm finding it more than a bit tiresome. Spouse wants to give it one more episode, so we'll do that. Not a lot of hope for going farther.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
I'm about to give up on it too, albeit for different reasons. I'm not that fond of little kids on serious paranormal-type shows, and as you mentioned, the main character has four of them. Too much kid-based plotline. Also, the demon guy makes me so angry I want to reach through the TV screen and strangle him. I know that's what he's supposed to do, but I don't find watching him get away with stuff to be enjoyable.

Combine that with their coy "is it really supernatural or not" thing and I'm finding it more than a bit tiresome. Spouse wants to give it one more episode, so we'll do that. Not a lot of hope for going farther.
Yes, I concur with all those objections myself.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

I was interested in the show because the showrunners, Robert and Michelle King, were responsible for The Good Wife, which was great. But I'm cool on this show, mostly because of the supernatural element.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I was interested in the show because the showrunners, Robert and Michelle King, were responsible for The Good Wife, which was great. But I'm cool on this show, mostly because of the supernatural element.
So far, almost nothing truly supernatural.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:09 PM

I'm liking it so far. Some things have been truly creepy, like the girl in the augmented reality game, and the masked girl in the latest episode. Plus I'm a fan of the actors, so I'm in for the season, which will last 13 episodes.

A second season has already been greenlit.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:19 PM

This is one of my favorite new fall shows. It's like The X-Files without the frequently tiresome government conspiracy angle weighing things down. I thought the choice to give one of the leads four children was interesting. One or two kids to provide a few wisecracks and/or be exposed to danger is generally considered sufficient. I would say there's about a 1,000 percent chance that one of them gets possessed at some point. Heck, they might ALL get possessed. In any case, I am really eager for them to get a little further dealing with whatever "The 60" might be.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:01 PM

I'm waiting for the 'reality' of the missing husband to come into play as well - there's alot more to that than we've been told.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:44 AM

I'm sticking with it. There has been only one kind of crummy episode so far. The Halloween episode was great and how it ended has me wondering about the husband too.

I too want to reach in and strangle or punch the demon-guy. But that is what you'd expect from a demon-guy. I think the only character that kind of irritates me is the "fancy grandma".
Old 10-30-2019, 11:23 AM

We're definitely sticking with it - I thought at the beginning episode I had this pegged as a typical procedural and it seems far from it... genuinely spooky and tense at times - right up there with GOOD horror stories.

Fancy Grandma - I like that - and the look on her face with the "Sorry that Brenda couldnt make it" - well played.

"Hi - I'm George..."

Last edited by simster; 10-30-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:03 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

I just watched the last two episodes. Definitely creepy, but more frustrating than anything. What happened with the bad-seed kid? What happened with the little girl in the VR goggles? That episode ended very abruptly, and the next one (the Halloween episode) doesn't even reference it. If they're planning to get back to it, great, but if that's where it just ends, then I'm not going to give them any more of my time. I have enough ambiguity in my life for real without adding it to my entertainment.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:32 AM

I chose not to,watch it for a different reason.

Current television seems to be promoting religion. Every show has true believers, but not just as an aspect of their character, but as a core of the show itself. Maybe this show doesn't actually have Christian demons, but it looks like it will. (And what about God friending people?)

Whether TV is simply responding to the current rise in religious fervor, or is feeding it, either way, I don't like it. That it's all mainstream American generic least common denominator "Christian" makes it even worse. This country is going backwards, and I don't want TV entertainment shows reminding me of it.

I know it isn't new - Touched by an Angel, Highway to Heaven. But it seems more and stronger now.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 11-05-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I just watched the last two episodes. Definitely creepy, but more frustrating than anything. What happened with the bad-seed kid? What happened with the little girl in the VR goggles? That episode ended very abruptly, and the next one (the Halloween episode) doesn't even reference it. If they're planning to get back to it, great, but if that's where it just ends, then I'm not going to give them any more of my time. I have enough ambiguity in my life for real without adding it to my entertainment.
I thought I was the only one who was annoyed by this. Nobody else mentioned them (before you), so I thought I just missed something.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:37 AM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I thought I was the only one who was annoyed by this. Nobody else mentioned them (before you), so I thought I just missed something.
I think sometimes that the show is trying to be too subtle for its own good. I had a thought when I saw the last scene. I didn't think it was correct because it passed so quickly, but after reading some recaps I'm pretty sure I was right: the family killed the boy to protect the baby. It was the mom's comment about "we have to do what we have to do to protect the family" that made me suspect it.

There was also a throwaway line about Rose390 not being a little girl, but an adult predator posing as one. Maybe they meant that to be the reveal, but for me it wasn't clear enough.

I'm really getting tired of the ambiguity. Also, those shrieking, squabbling girls. I think they could have done the show just as effectively with a couple of sisters instead of four.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I think sometimes that the show is trying to be too subtle for its own good. I had a thought when I saw the last scene. I didn't think it was correct because it passed so quickly, but after reading some recaps I'm pretty sure I was right: the family killed the boy to protect the baby. It was the mom's comment about "we have to do what we have to do to protect the family" that made me suspect it.
"We love all our children equally" was another hint/line - for me, that episode sold itself when in the final scene our intrepid mom broke down the way she did... these stories/events are having an impact on her.

Quote:
There was also a throwaway line about Rose390 not being a little girl, but an adult predator posing as one. Maybe they meant that to be the reveal, but for me it wasn't clear enough.
That was stated by 'Ben the Magnificent' when he first got hold of the VR devices - remember, he's also a skeptic and that is the first thing he (or we) would think as to the source of that entitiy - as the episode progressed tho, after he 'locked down' the headsets - we are meant to think its more than just an average hacker.

Quote:
I'm really getting tired of the ambiguity. Also, those shrieking, squabbling girls. I think they could have done the show just as effectively with a couple of sisters instead of four.
The side stories with the family are showing the 'reality' of Leonard(?) threat -

now - how much of this is going to actually be the supernatural or just a study in perceptions , grounded in 'real' answers to the puzzles (the ghost in the strip joint) - yet to see - but I am enjoying the way its written so far.

Just Asking Questions - I agree - I despise shows like you mention - i'm on the fence on the direction this one is taking, and at first I thought it was indeed going to go the way you think - I'm less convinced now - so far, they haven't really 'helped' any of the people they have encountered - and the one bit of tangible evidence they had for the supernatural/angels, the 'church' had no interest in.

Last edited by simster; 11-05-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:04 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post

That was stated by 'Ben the Magnificent' when he first got hold of the VR devices - remember, he's also a skeptic and that is the first thing he (or we) would think as to the source of that entitiy - as the episode progressed tho, after he 'locked down' the headsets - we are meant to think its more than just an average hacker.
True--after reading a few more comments about the show, I'm convinced now that Rose390 is actually Leland, messing with the girls (and by association, their mom).

Also, I'm becoming pretty convinced that Dad is actually dead. Has there been any example yet in the whole show of them actually interacting with him in a way that proves he's the one responding? (So texts wouldn't work, but Skype video/FaceTime/etc.) would.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Definitely creepy, but more frustrating than anything. What happened with the bad-seed kid?
After his mother closed the door, Luke Cage said, "They killed him." So I'm guessing they killed him.

Quote:
Also, those shrieking, squabbling girls. I think they could have done the show just as effectively with a couple of sisters instead of four.
That's funny, 'cause I love all four of them, all talking at once, impossible to understand. Those young actresses are doing a great job.

Quote:
Also, I'm becoming pretty convinced that Dad is actually dead. Has there been any example yet in the whole show of them actually interacting with him in a way that proves he's the one responding? (So texts wouldn't work, but Skype video/FaceTime/etc.) would.
We saw them on a phone call with him all four girls and Mom sitting on Mom's bed, passing the phone around. I remember trying to determine if they were actually conversing or just leaving a voicemail message; I came down on the side of "conversation," though I don't remember why.

FWIW, I like the show more with each episode. The baby in the pool, the parents killing their son, the kid (?) in the creepy Halloween mask all completely freaked me out ... but in a good way.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:04 PM

Wife and I are watching it and I'm not sure. I like the actors, Mike Colter who played Luke Cage, and Michael Emerson. And the others.

The girls don't bother me but I agree that what happened to the VR person was not handled well.

What I don't like is the ambiguity. X-Files was new and awesome and could get away with the ambiguity. Further, they showed us enough, or told the audience enough, that I could let it slide later. This needs to decide if there is Supernatural or not and show us, the audience.

For myself, I take it that there is. Otherwise, the actions characters have taken, especially Leland, don't make any sense. Unless that's truly how people who think they are possessed act, both the prison guy and the wife, it then seems weird.

Thanks for the discussion!
Old 11-05-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
That scene wasn't really that subtle. It was pretty obvious (blood spot on the floor, parents looking very shifty when they are telling the police they don't know where their son is) that they killed their son to protect their daughter It would be strange to watch that scene and come to a different conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayuga View Post
After his mother closed the door, Luke Cage said, "They killed him." So I'm guessing they killed him.
Exactly.

Quote:
My take on it is that Leland and the forces of evil have launched an attack on Kristen and her family. The VR girl and the Halloween-mask girl were just tools as part of that attack. We may not see those particular characters again, because they were essentially just pawns. We may continue to see a variety of different spirits/demons/malevolent forces that come and go, but it is all at the direction of Leland or whatever evil that he answers to.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
That scene wasn't really that subtle. It was pretty obvious (blood spot on the floor, parents looking very shifty when they are telling the police they don't know where their son is) that they killed their son to protect their daughter It would be strange to watch that scene and come to a different conclusion.

Exactly.

My take on it is that Leland and the forces of evil have launched an attack on Kristen and her family. The VR girl and the Halloween-mask girl were just tools as part of that attack. We may not see those particular characters again, because they were essentially just pawns. We may continue to see a variety of different spirits/demons/malevolent forces that come and go, but it is all at the direction of Leland or whatever evil that he answers to.

Right - we didn't see any more of VR girl because the VR tool is taken away - we will not likely see anymore of !brenda because that part is 'done' as well - but they did complete the !brenda story much more obviously.

Both were just to show the incursion into the home - !Brenda and Leland dating Mom much more obviously than VR girl.

!Brenda got the girls to do stuff they did not want to do - we have no idea how far VR girl would have been able to take it. Honest Daughter kills all the fun.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:53 PM

It seemed to me that the psycho boy was wearing the VR goggles at the beginning of his episode. Made me think that the goggles had something to do with his actions. But then the goggles are not mentioned in his story arc anymore that episode.

And when the girls weren't allowed to wear them anymore, one says that the game doesn't end unless you log off, so I was expecting something more to happen with them.

Both times it seemed like I missed something. Guess those parts of the story just ended.

And yes, the parents clearly killed their son.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
This.

The fact that Ben the Magnificent's (I like the name and I'm going to keep using it) Alexa went beyond what the hacker could do after the hacker was taken off the table, and the fact that Miles Drentell still heard voices and killed himself after the hacker was taken off the table, tells me that there really is a supernatural in this universe. So cool, I'm going with it.

(And FTR, I'm a devout atheist, but I can handle fiction. Although I understand and respect JAQ's position.)
Old 11-06-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I mostly bailed after about 3 episodes because I just couldn't take all the freaking shrieking all the damn time. Plus the kid actors are very actor-y, and so the characters seem artificial and fake to me. Can't stand the youngest one.

I just don't care about the "good" characters enough to follow them. I like Aasif Mandhvi. And I love the psychiatrist's office with all the windows. I'd love a space like that.

Is it taped in Canada? The location seems generic to me like they're not being specific about what city they're in. Or did I miss something?

More annoying than genuinely scary to me, so I bailed.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:06 PM

Just watched the latest episode.

Minor spoilers for those that care.

Again, a lot of obfuscation. There is a prophet and they are trying to determine her veracity. When they talk about her accuracy, they give her a seventy percent. Isn't that high? Like really high? Even if they had said fifty percent, that seems high. The vagueness was that we don't know how widespread it was. If it was just local stuff, maybe that allows for the vagueness and the prophet is good at guessing? If worldwide, that seems high.

Now, there was a cool scene where Leland finally comes over to meet Kristen and her girls and that confrontation was pretty good. Then there is a scene later between Leland and Sheryl that makes no sense to do. They don't break up, as Sheryl tries to do, but sleep together and the bed explodes into flames as they are having sex. Now, it could be to say the sex is hot. I have not seen it done that way before and to do it that way in this type of show seems to mean more than just hot sex.

I find the show watchable due to the main cast but still think there is supernatural in this world because otherwise, stuff doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited by vislor; 11-10-2019 at 08:07 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-11-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
It seemed to me that the psycho boy was wearing the VR goggles at the beginning of his episode.
Rewatching this one now -

you are correct - it definitely is implied its the boy with the goggles at the beginning.

but -

What happened to the older daughter/girl that answered the door in the beginning? SHe disappears right after they go in, the parents do NOT introduce her - and she is never seen again.

Last edited by simster; 11-11-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
Rewatching this one now -

you are correct - it definitely is implied its the boy with the goggles at the beginning.

but -

What happened to the older daughter/girl that answered the door in the beginning? SHe disappears right after they go in, the parents do NOT introduce her - and she is never seen again.
Well, I did miss one line when I posted this - Ben does refer to the oldest daughter when talking about the possible corrosion in the pipes. So, she was there for a moment anyway.