Old 11-06-2019, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Living With Yourself - Netflix - Anybody?

A comedy series with Paul Rudd and Aisling Bea. I found it very amusing. Rudd has impeccable comic timing and the scenes with him and his clone are very convincing. Aisling Bea is a bit stiff, but does fine. Episode eight is worth the ride all on its own.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:40 PM

I binged this last week. Rudd is a really good actor, not just at the comedy stuff. The first half of this series was really good, really intriguing. Then, I felt what was a good idea flew way off the rails. It got a little too outrageous and frankly, I hated the ending.

SPOILER:
In the span of a few minutes, Paul Rudd and his clone went from legit trying to kill each other to embracing each other because they found out they don't know which one is the father of Rudd Prime's wife's baby!!!!

Last edited by Barkis is Willin'; 11-06-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:38 PM

Saw it when it first came out. Liked it.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Barkis is Willin';21958730]I binged this last week. Rudd is a really good actor, not just at the comedy stuff. The first half of this series was really good, really intriguing. Then, I felt what was a good idea flew way off the rails. It got a little too outrageous and frankly, I hated the ending.

There's an interesting video where Rudd and the directors are talking about that last episode and the deeper meaning behind what happens. You might take a look at it, as it kind of puts it in perspective.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:25 PM

Just finished it. I hated the credenza too.

What bugs me is
SPOILER:
If original Miles just went and had the sperm tested in the first place, couldn't this have all been avoided? His test turns out to be fine when he finally takes it.

And we all knew there was SOME reason for Tom Brady's 6 SB rings, right?

Really well written and acted throughout.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:34 AM

I enjoyed it but the ending seems like the setup for a broad comedy in the second season.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Gusterson View Post
I enjoyed it but the ending seems like the setup for a broad comedy in the second season.
Yeah, I loved this series but the ending did feel a bit off.

SPOILER:
Everyone seemed over-the-top happy about the baby. I'm not clear if we were meant to take that at face value. I'm kind of hoping it was meant ironically or sarcastically. Because having kids is super stressful, and would certainly exasperate their messed up and conflict ridden situation. If we were meant to take it at face value then it is somewhat tone deaf in a way that taints the interesting introspection and somewhat thoughtful dive into the emotional impact of the situation that we've seen earlier in the series. I'd like to interpret it more as over-the-top because it's really saying "oh, we're boned".

And as much as I love this series I think it'll stand better as a self-contained unit without milking more and more seasons out of it. I hope they go with the British model on this one.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:21 AM

As to your spoiler

SPOILER:
I took it at face value. Them not getting a kid was painstakingly set up as being the thing that kept them from achieving true happiness. It may be a flawed assumption, and if they do a second season I think they will delve into the misconception of babies save marriages, but at that Point in the narrative it made sense to me.

I am not sure I would want a Season 2 of this either. The first Season was very unique in its approach to some of the tropes. This is a common Problem of Formats that rely on Twists - if you go in expecting them to have a clever Twist, it takes a lot more effort to make them actually surprising, which Detriments from the enjoyment of the Overall Story. That was the curse of Mr. Shyamalan - everybody expected his next movie to have some clever twist, and were often disappointed.