Old 11-06-2019, 03:04 PM

^ Did they not hear you correctly and give you an estimate for a ballpark? Jeez!

Old 11-06-2019, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

That's the only reasonable explanation.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
The first ballpark estimate came back on our addition/garage project at $250,000. This is double plus ungood.
Good marble is pricey these days, then there's shipping it across the Atlantic.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
The first ballpark estimate came back on our addition/garage project at $250,000. This is double plus ungood.
I bet its the luxury boxes and the jumbotron that are driving the price up.

(Maybe just ask them about the cost of a place to put your cars and see how that goes).
Old 11-06-2019, 09:26 PM

Ok, Dung I have watched the Masked Singer. Stupidest show that has ever made me laugh so hard.
I got stupider tho.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

I turned 55 recently. It doesn't feel much different to 54.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSpon View Post
I turned 55 recently. It doesn't feel much different to 54.
Wait until you're in your 70s. Every DAY is worse.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Ok, Dung I have watched the Masked Singer. Stupidest show that has ever made me laugh so hard.
I got stupider tho.
I have never watched "So you think you can dance". But some of the best laughs I've had lately have been typing Sean Spicer's name into youtube and watching him stomping around like a lame Clydesdale in a dressage competition. The loyal Alt-Righters keep phoning in to prolong his humiliation, and he apparently still thinks they are doing him a favor. It's obvious the costume folks hate his guts.

I'm not usually one to indulge in schadenfreude. But I heartily dislike being lied to, and that boy lied to me, a lot.

Last edited by TruCelt; 11-07-2019 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
I have never watched "So you think you can dance". But some of the best laughs I've had lately have been typing Sean Spicer's name into youtube and watching him stomping around like a lame Clydesdale in a dressage competition. The loyal Alt-Righters keep phoning in to prolong his humiliation, and he apparently still thinks they are doing him a favor. It's obvious the costume folks hate his guts.

I'm not usually one to indulge in schadenfreude. But I heartily dislike being lied to, and that boy lied to me, a lot.
It's hilarious watching him try to dance.
I feel sorry for his dancing partner. I bet he's stepped on her feet so much.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:53 AM

Yesterday my son sent me a selfie in which he was wearing a cap, gown, and surgical mask. For a minute I assumed it was from Halloween, then the fact that his wife's due date was in a few weeks hit me.

Having a granddaughter is making me feel even older.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:

I've only seen him in a couple of videos, but damn. The one where he looked like John Travolta's much-shorter cousin, at least I got an impression that he was familiar with the source material. The salsa with the pale green thing... yeah, that was like watching a sardine try to do the Nutcracker by itself. Actually, the sardine might have been more graceful.

Apropos of nothing else: there can't be that much of a difference between cauliflower and broccoli. I mean, ok, they're different colors but... So do I hate the one while being OK with the other just because of personal history, or does cauliflower really tend to smell like ass and taste accordingly?
Old 11-07-2019, 09:22 AM

I've been spending too much time seeing doctors recently.

There's a new innovation in the surgery waiting room: a big screen and a robotic voice, to tell you that the doctor is ready to see you now. So on the big screen you'll see something like:

Mr Treppenwitz

Dr S Wilson

Room 7

BUT the robotic voice says: Mr Treppenwitz - Drive South Wilson - Room 7.

Man that is disconcerting. Bug and feature all in one, if you ask me. The strangest thing is that, while you might think that (Doctor) Drive South Wilson is probably the noob (and therefore so far down the pecking order that nobody cares), the senior partner's first name is Nigel.

Drive North, Doctor, Drive North.

j
Old 11-07-2019, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I got stupider tho.
Me too, and I never had smarts to spare!

Quote:
I take the opportunity to say terrible things to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Having a granddaughter is making me feel even older.
About time you caught up with the rest of us, Pappy!
(My grandson can't say Grandma Julie, so he says, "Granma Doody". You know I'm lovin' it.)
Old 11-07-2019, 10:54 AM

My oldest Grandwrek tried to call me 'Bubba' when she was learning to talk. Umm?! Nope. Cleared that right up. I'm Nana.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:58 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Good marble is pricey these days, then there's shipping it across the Atlantic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
I bet its the luxury boxes and the jumbotron that are driving the price up.
Y'all would be funnier if the second ballpark number hadn't come in at $350,000.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Y'all would be funnier if the second ballpark number hadn't come in at $350,000.
Retractable dome??
Old 11-07-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
There has to be more to this story.

You live on top of a mountain, and the construction equipment has to be flown in by helicopter?

You are above the permafrost line?

There is an old cemetery which has to be relocated first, and all the local contractors saw "Poltergeist" at an impressionable age?

Your plans are for a 5,000sq ft. addition with a 3-car garage?

The rest of the house was built in 1874 so none of the existing utilities can be used due to code violations?

Your wealthy son parked his Lambo out front on the day the estimators came by to inspect?

You want them to dig a basement for the addition at risk of destroying the existing foundation?

This is really an outrageous amount of money. What is so hard?

Last edited by TruCelt; 11-07-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
We kept shopping til we found someone willing to work with our budget. Which was half the first estimates we'd gotten.

Finally found a crusty Old School Guy who started sharpening his pencil on day one, but also gruffly telling us we'd have to give up some of our dream ideas.

The estimate ended up lower because he factored in my helping out. Which was time-consuming but fun, too.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:25 PM

There's something that's been bugging me of late, and I wonder if there is a name for it: The attitude by some people that, no matter what, "things always were for the best." Doesn't matter if we're talking about some disaster, or a bad decision, or whatnot, they always insist "I wouldn't change a thing" because whatever things turned out to be, must have been for the best.

I don't doubt that in some cases, things perhaps did turn out for the best, but it smacks more of denial or a reverse case of sour grapes.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:20 PM

I've always prided myself in finding good things in everything. You know, glass half full kinda gal?
I've changed my thinking. I'm more of a Murphy's law type now-a-days. It's new enough thinking, to me, that I'm still surprised some days.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 11-07-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:53 PM

The infant boy in the cart ahead of me today in the grocery store check-out line was inordinately amused by my appearance. I think I was making a good impression on his mom and the cashier with my funny faces up to the point where the child's enthusiasm caused a pretty impressive burp-up of his most recent meal.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:05 AM

There are a lot of young girls in my area named Ivy, after the invasive (but pretty cool-looking) climbing vine that grows all over houses.

There are an even bigger number of Jasmines, after the invasive (but rather nice-smelling) climbing vine that grows all over fences.

And yet I've never met a Wisteria
Old 11-08-2019, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

I'm saving this thread to re-read whenever I get sick to death of all the political bs and whiny people.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
There's something that's been bugging me of late, and I wonder if there is a name for it: The attitude by some people that, no matter what, "things always were for the best." Doesn't matter if we're talking about some disaster, or a bad decision, or whatnot, they always insist "I wouldn't change a thing" because whatever things turned out to be, must have been for the best.
Panglossian.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Nice! Now how I can shoehorn this into conversation and impress the shit out of people?
Old 11-08-2019, 10:37 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
This is really an outrageous amount of money. What is so hard?
Charlotte is in a huge real estate and construction boom, so supply and demand kicks in. Contractors can pick and choose which jobs they want, and we're getting the idea that so far the two numbers we've gotten back are indications that our job isn't appealing enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
We kept shopping til we found someone willing to work with our budget. Which was half the first estimates we'd gotten.
We're already making plans to scale back some of what we have planned for (e.g., plumbing in the garage), but I'm very much hoping that we'll eventually get bids (2 more contractors yet to be heard from) that are within reason. If not, we'll go back to the original plan of being our own general contractors, getting a slab poured and putting a pre-fab garage building in the back yard, then saving our money for our forever home.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:13 AM

When I was 12 or so, I had a phase where I was into codes. I came up with a type of code - my own invention!!
Not too long ago I found out that it was a form of a "Polyalphabetic cipher" which has been around since the 1300s or maybe before. I guess it wasn't a new type of code.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:19 AM

Me too. I invented the book cipher, then found out that some asshole had stolen the idea from me hundreds of years ago.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:31 PM

My wife and I have been binge watching, "The Mentalist," and every time someone hollers Simon Baker's character's name, I hear George Jetson:

Jane?

STOP THIS CRAZY THING!
Old 11-15-2019, 12:43 AM

Random thought: Guitars are better than mandolins because they burn longer.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:05 AM

I want to put on a uniform, a military dress uniform, and walk down the street without looking or feeling ridiculous, and without inciting comment. I just want to be able to do it, and have it be a normal thing, like immediately following WWII.

Things that can never be...
Old 11-16-2019, 07:58 AM

I have never known what a belaying pin is. I know it from an anthology of adventure stories for boys, nearly fifty years ago. What children's author uses "belaying pin" without explaining what it is?

I shall now google it live on the SDMB.

Quote:
A belaying pin is a solid metal or wooden device used on traditionally rigged sailing vessels to secure lines of running rigging.
Great. There's a diagram that helps. But really not worth the wait.

j
Old Today, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

My four year old grandson came to visit me this weekend. We were out looking at the animals and I mentioned that with the weather turning cold, we were planning to get the horse a blanket. "A blanket and something else I can't remember right now..."
He said, "A pillow?"