Old 10-29-2019, 03:26 PM

OK, nurse mode here. Besides taking ibuprofen, what else does she do? There's probably a bunch of medical professionals here, and none of us can ethically give a diagnosis on a message board, but... To have any idea... There's some questions. Blood pressure. Is she hypertensive? If so, does she take anything to control it? Blood sugar. Is she diabetic? If so, does she take anything to control that? Meds for depression? Antipsychotics? Antianxiety meds like say, xanax? Is there a history of seizures in her family?

The thing is, and what concerns me a bit, is that your wife get's sleepy at odd times. That's a bit odd. Maybe it's not really the ibuprofen?
Old 10-29-2019, 03:40 PM

It was 16 years ago. Maybe she's over it by now.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
It was 16 years ago. Maybe she's over it by now.
Oh, Good Lord. I didn't even notice that! Here I am trying to use medical skills on a zombie. The dude's poor wife probably woke up from her NSAID nap and is eating brains in Majikai. I don't know where that is, but the O.P.'s location says it's the land of cheese.

Fuck, the necromancer that brought this back is even called "stillalive"

Has he done this before?
Old 10-29-2019, 04:07 PM

He has two posts, both to this thread. I reported him. He's a troll with a burner account.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
That is very much like the placebo effect, which contrary to many statements on the subject is not about sugar pills. It is already well understood that the placebo effect is closely tied to ritual, just seeing a doctor helps some people, sometimes just making an appointment to see a doctor works also.

The case of taking ibuprofen is a bit different though, ibuprofen does physically affect people. If if that effect is not directly related to sleeping it is still different from the placebo effect because it requires some actual physical reaction to the medication.
I don't know that what I described (husband feeling relieved that he had narcotics available) is precisely the "placebo effect". More that there's a link between stress and pain - and knowing he had something to deal with the pain if needed reduced his stress level - which reduced his pain a bit.

It's a similar effect to my having a small amount of Sonata (sleep aid) on hand. If I'm having a wretched time falling asleep, I tend to stress about that, which makes it harder to fall asleep. Knowing I've got pharmaceutical help nearby if I need it can often make enough difference that I don't need to take anything.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdelweissPirate View Post

A medical anthropologist friend of mine once mentioned that while Americans and many others think of marijuana as a relaxing, mellowing drug, some cultures (South American ones? I forget) perceive it to be energizing.
Bob Marley and his buddies would get high and go for long runs.