Old 11-06-2019, 08:01 PM

Do you use the ignore button on your phone? If so, how often and with whom?

I don't use the ignore button, but I do ignore calls. My phone is nearly always on vibrate, so there's no noise with an incoming call. If I want to ignore it, I'll hit the volume control once and that stops the vibrating. I don't know why I do it that way, but I guess I don't want the caller to know that I'm ignoring the call. It's just the way I've always done it.

The only calls that I will pick up unless I'm otherwise occupied are from the spouse, one friend and my siblings (the latter because I know it's important as we talk infrequently). Next tier is I answer calls from my mother more than my father because I know her conversation will be short, but I don't answer them every time she calls. Everyone else I answer only if I'm in the mood or are expecting their call. And, of course, unknown numbers I always let ring through.

Next paragraph spoilered because it's from last night's episode of The Resident. It's not essential to the post, but just explains what brought the topic to mind.

SPOILER:
This topic came to mind as I watched a recent television show. A man was in the hospital because he was in a plane crash. His spouse was upset that the last call that he had made to her she hit the ignore button because he had the habit of being long-winded, and she didn't have time for the call. She was remorseful because she was told that he may not wake from surgery and the last memory of him would have been her hitting the ignore button on him.

I'm curious as to your call-taking habits. Do you handle them similar to mine? Do you not hesitate to hit the ignore button?
Old 11-06-2019, 08:09 PM

I seem to recall when I was a kid in the late 70s we had a telephone hard-wired into the wall, and we didn't have an answering machine (I don't think many people did). Letting a call ring through wasn't really an option. The phone would just ring and ring and ring (loudly, mind you) until the caller hung up. And if you took the receiver off of the phone and laid down, after 30 seconds or so, the dial tone would cut off and the earpiece would start clicking, loud enough that if you were in the same room you could hear it. You couldn't unplug the phone because it was hard-wired both ways. The old man would occasionally grab the receiver and throw it in a kitchen drawer if he didn't want to be disturbed by the phone. What we have now is a big improvement. I can ignore people at my pleasure.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:12 PM

It would do me no good. They would text or email. Or like my DIL come to the house. If I don't know the number I hit ignore.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:18 PM

For spam calls I always hit the button that ends the call immediately and stops the ringing. Spam calls are anything with my home area code, as anyone from there that I know is already in my phone. If I think it might actually be something legitimate I'll let it go to voicemail. (Spoiler alert, it never is. Anytime they leave a voicemail it's about my car insurance [I don't have a car] or from the "IRS.")

Anyone else I'll answer when it rings.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

If I'm on a bus, I ignore incoming calls. Whoever it is can text me instead if they really need me.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:44 PM

I don't hit the button. When the phone rings, I look at the caller ID. If I want to talk to the person, I'll answer. If I don't, I'll let it go to voicemail.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
For spam calls I always hit the button that ends the call immediately and stops the ringing. Spam calls are anything with my home area code, as anyone from there that I know is already in my phone. If I think it might actually be something legitimate I'll let it go to voicemail. (Spoiler alert, it never is. Anytime they leave a voicemail it's about my car insurance [I don't have a car] or from the "IRS.")

On my phone, the ignore button still allows them to leave a voicemail. I like listening to them, especially the ones in Chinese.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post

I'd like a feature that would allow me to block any call starting with my area code-prefix that isn't in my contact list. Way back when (late 90's) my dad got a bunch of phones all starting with same number, save the last four digits so I can't block all the calls with the same first 6 digits as mine or I'd be blocking my family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
On my phone, the ignore button still allows them to leave a voicemail.
That drives me up the wall. I remember reading a while back that cell phone providers won't (or can't) stop someone from leaving a voicemail, even if you block the number. I don't recall their reasoning, but I'd imagine money is involved (ie the caller has to pay since the call still went through).
What I've done is created a contact called 'pick up hang up'. Any spam calls that leave a message get added to that contact, then I know to pick up and hang up instead of ignoring (or just blocking) the call and a minute later having to go and delete the voicemail.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
On my phone, the ignore button still allows them to leave a voicemail. I like listening to them, especially the ones in Chinese.
I had Verizon disable my voicemail 10-15 years ago. I hate voice mail. Nothing is a bigger waste of my time. If it's important, people know to text me. Otherwise, if I've seen that you called I'll text and ask if you need a call back right away.

With work it's different. I still don't listen to voicemails; I just read the transcription, which sometimes can be pretty funny.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:22 AM

@Joey P You might take a look at http://vlmob.com/applications/calls-blacklist if you use Android. I was able to block calls from my area code and prefix and add exceptions. Seemed to work well.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:29 AM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

My sister had a contact listed as "Never Ever Fucking Answer". The number was a crazy neighbor.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

There's a button on the phone to ignore calls? Who knew?

Unlike most of my family, my phone is not glued to me at all times. Therefore I'm unlikely to know about a call until I happen by the thing and notice the blinky light in the corner. At that point I evaluate the caller and the time I'm willing to invest. I've got a pretty good idea of the time loss per relative and I sort them thusly. One requires a minimum 22 minutes, another is 18, etc. Wife and kids get an immediate response though.

So, to answer the OP's question, few calls get answered when they ring, and roughly half are returned.

Last edited by pullin; 11-07-2019 at 06:25 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:33 AM

In iOS 13 there is the option to send any call not on your contacts list straight to voicemail. I never answer my phone. Everyone knows I prefer texting, so the only calls I get are from those who don't know me. Once every day or two I read/delete my voicemails (Apple speech to text is great).
Old 11-07-2019, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
There's a button on the phone to ignore calls? Who knew?
Not sure if you're joking but...on pretty much every Android and Apple phone, the green button answers the call, the red button ignores (or declines) it and sends it to voicemail, they both show up on the screen while it's rining.

If you have an older flip phone, usually pressing one of the buttons on the side without opening the phone, will push the call to voicemail (IOW ignore).
Old 11-07-2019, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

I use an app called "Should I Answer," which uses crowdsourcing to identify telemarketers, scammers, and other bogus calls. I set it so that it only rings when someone in my contacts list calls. I get notifications about other calls, but they don't ring, and 95% don't leave voicemail.

The only downside is that I have to turn it off if I'm expecting a visit from a plumber or other service person whose number isn't in my list. But that's not a big deal. As soon as they're done, I switch it back on.

My landline is through my cable provider (Comcast), and I use NoMoRoBo, which intercepts nearly all junk calls. Occasionally the phone will ring once and stop, and sometimes other calls get through, but if I don't recognize the name on the caller ID, I don't pick up. I get one or two real calls a month.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:03 AM

I use NomoRobo and Do Not Disturb. I receive near zero calls. Only my wife and spammers call me, anyways.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:23 AM

"My phone" is actually a work phone. Even combining personal and work calls I don't get many calls.
Any call could be a work call and I should answer. Some are obviously spam and I ignore those, but if I'm in doubt I need to answer. And quickly hang up if it's not work or someone I know.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:54 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

If I don't recognize the number, and I'm not currently on someone's references list or otherwise semi-expecting an unknown caller, I will not answer the call.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 11-07-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Not sure if you're joking but...on pretty much every Android and Apple phone, the green button answers the call, the red button ignores (or declines) it and sends it to voicemail, they both show up on the screen while it's rining.

If you have an older flip phone, usually pressing one of the buttons on the side without opening the phone, will push the call to voicemail (IOW ignore).
Ah!
I was wondering what this thread was about. I have never heard of an ignore button. I had no idea what was being discussed. That is what the hang-up button is called?
Old 11-07-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Mine's a little different in that one button shows up on the screen. I swipe it one way to answer the call and swipe it the other direction to reject it. Or I can simply ignore the call and it will go to voicemail.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbroome View Post
Ah!
I was wondering what this thread was about. I have never heard of an ignore button. I had no idea what was being discussed. That is what the hang-up button is called?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Mine's a little different in that one button shows up on the screen. I swipe it one way to answer the call and swipe it the other direction to reject it. Or I can simply ignore the call and it will go to voicemail.
It's different on different phones, I just figured that was the easiest. Some have discrete buttons, some have a slider that goes in multiple directions, some have two slides etc. I've also seen it called Ignore and Decline and they're likely other names as well.
I just figured green is for picking up and red was for ignoring would be the quickest way to explain it.

On my phone, there's even a setting to shut the phone up (I think it's for not just ringing but various other alerts as well) by placing your hand over it.
I haven't used that one yet, it seems like a good way to dismiss things that I don't want to dismiss.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:13 PM

I play the stereo loud enough so I never hear it ring.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbroome View Post
Ah!
I call it the "end call" button. But when I'm speaking about ending the call, I still say I'm hanging up.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
It's different on different phones, I just figured that was the easiest. Some have discrete buttons, some have a slider that goes in multiple directions, some have two slides etc. I've also seen it called Ignore and Decline and they're likely other names as well.
I just figured green is for picking up and red was for ignoring would be the quickest way to explain it.

On my phone, there's even a setting to shut the phone up (I think it's for not just ringing but various other alerts as well) by placing your hand over it.
I haven't used that one yet, it seems like a good way to dismiss things that I don't want to dismiss.
I like the idea of just waving the call away with your hand.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

It's called "turning the sound, and vibrate, off, and looking at the screen to see who's called" and has been my go-to phone setting for over 5 years now.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

I hit the ignore button if the call is from an unknown number. I always answer calls from people I know, unless I physically can't talk.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:04 PM

If my mom or my wife call me, I'll answer. Everyone else gets ignored. But if you leave a message I may call you back if I feel like it. Honestly you'd save time to just text.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:28 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal View Post
I seem to recall when I was a kid in the late 70s we had a telephone hard-wired into the wall, and we didn't have an answering machine (I don't think many people did). Letting a call ring through wasn't really an option. The phone would just ring and ring and ring (loudly, mind you) until the caller hung up. And if you took the receiver off of the phone and laid down, after 30 seconds or so, the dial tone would cut off and the earpiece would start clicking, loud enough that if you were in the same room you could hear it. You couldn't unplug the phone because it was hard-wired both ways. The old man would occasionally grab the receiver and throw it in a kitchen drawer if he didn't want to be disturbed by the phone. What we have now is a big improvement. I can ignore people at my pleasure.
When I was training, I routinely went 36+ hours without sleep so the last thing I wanted when I finally got to go to bed was a ringing phone. I learned that if you unscrewed the earpiece from the phone the speaker would just fall out (i.e. no wires to disconnect). I could then leave the phone off the hook as long as I wanted without any loud clicks/sounds/howls to 'remind' me to hang the phone back up.

Last edited by KarlGauss; 11-08-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
When I was training, I routinely went 36+ hours without sleep so the last thing I wanted when I finally got to go to bed was a ringing phone. I learned that if you unscrewed the earpiece from the phone the speaker would just fall out (i.e. no wires to disconnect). I could then leave the phone off the hook as long as I wanted without any loud clicks/sounds/howls to 'remind' me to hang the phone back up.
You could accomplish that by disconnecting the handset from the base as well.

I'm kind of surprised that in all these years no one came up with a simple device that you could plug into a phone jack with a switch that would simulate it being off the hook.
I don't even recall (residential) phones having some type of Do Not Disturb buttons that would do the same thing, make the phone act like it's off the hook but without the noise.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You could accomplish that by disconnecting the handset from the base as well.
Personal was talking about the old days, before modular jacks, when phones were hard wired to the wall and handsets were hardwired to the base unit.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:42 PM

A downside to the whole ignoring thing is that you know that I know that you called, and if I don't call call you back, or text you or something, you can be upset about being ghosted (and you're probably within your rights to be so).
Old Yesterday, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Not joking. I didn't know a red X meant "ignore call and send to voicemail." If only there were some method of visual communication to inform the user of its purpose... like the clever runes I'm using now. All I knew was that pressing it made the phone quiet.

Last edited by pullin; Yesterday at 06:22 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
In iOS 13 there is the option to send any call not on your contacts list straight to voicemail. I never answer my phone. Everyone knows I prefer texting, so the only calls I get are from those who don't know me. Once every day or two I read/delete my voicemails (Apple speech to text is great).
This.

This is the one feature that I cared about when iOS 13 came out. Couldn't care less about all of the other stuff they added.
It's sure sweet to look at my phone after a long day and see that four or five bogus calls had been silently ignored, with a couple of them repeated and ignored a second time.

And yes, when one of the actually leaves a message I use the speech to text feature to immediately dismiss the "blah blah about your student loan blah blah" stuff that often is left.

It's the cat's meow!
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM

If they're in my contact list, I'll answer the call if I'm available.* Every other number gets declined and sent to voicemail for later filtering.

*If it's immediate family, I'll answer no matter what or drop everything to call back immediately if I missed the call. All of us loathe the phone and are strictly a text-and-email family. If one of them is calling me, something is urgently wrong.