Old 11-07-2019, 10:17 AM

Hotel Christmas

We have booked ourselves into a fairly upmarket (black tie for dinner) hotel for Christmas; just the two of us as we were going to be alone anyway this year.

I appreciate that a UK Christmas will not be exactly the same as an American one, but they must be fairly similar. I am looking for other people's experiences and advice.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:25 AM

Didn't we get the majority of our Xmas traditions from the UK (except for the fat man in the red suit)?

Our first Xmas as a married couple, we had no family/friends in the area, so we high-tailed it over to Daytona Beach where we saw dolphins just off-shore and swam in an indoor, heated swimming pool on Xmas Day. It was a blast!
Old 11-07-2019, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

I wish they would bring Christmas Pantos here. Wouldn't be surprised if there already were some, likely in gay bars/restaurants here or there.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:11 PM

Sounds fun but we need more info. Is the hotel town or country, large or boutique, near home or in a new part of the country for you, what activities are the hotel lining up or have you signed up for, how long are you staying, will you have a car ETC.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Iím sure you know that everything will be closed. In the USA, I know itís common for some bars to open later in the afternoon and thereís always a few restaurants open.

You can watch the Queen on Christmas Day, she gives a short speech.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:00 PM

Some Movie theatres open on Christmas afternoon. I come from a large group of sibs. Daddy used to pack us off for a double feature late Christmas day. I suppose to get some peaceful adult time.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:05 PM

This is a country hotel and we are there for two nights (C Eve to Boxing day). I am retired and my wife can't walk far so I guess we will be dependant on whatever entertainment the hotel lays on. Lots of eating and drinking I am sure.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
I wish they would bring Christmas Pantos here. Wouldn't be surprised if there already were some, likely in gay bars/restaurants here or there.
Gawd, no. Every pantomime show I've seen (on TV or in movies) has seemed horrible to me. I can see the appeal to kids under 8, but, no, just no.

One year when I was about 12 my grandmother said she was tired of making the Christmas dinner, so we all went to the Hotel Miramar in Santa Monica for dinner. This was not at a time when the Miramar was an especially "hot" place to go -- it was past its original popularity and before it's renascence. It was odd. We were about 20, they seated us a one long table in the middle of the room. So, you could only interact with the people closest to you. The room was drab and sparsely decorated. It was sad.

Grandma said order whatever you want (she was paying), so I ordered lobster. I loved it. But it was a bit of a family joke for years after about my "champagne tastes."
Old 11-08-2019, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Some Movie theatres open on Christmas afternoon. I come from a large group of sibs. Daddy used to pack us off for a double feature late Christmas day. I suppose to get some peaceful adult time.
Not in the UK - the only places open are some pubs, hotels and restaurants which are laying on special Christmas lunches (which you have to prebook). Everything else is shut.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
Gawd, no. Every pantomime show I've seen (on TV or in movies) has seemed horrible to me. I can see the appeal to kids under 8, but, no, just no.
Pantos are huge fun - and not just for kids. About ten years ago I saw an amazing panto of Aladdin, starring Sir Ian McKellan. Pantos include lots of adult jokes which go over the kids' heads.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:49 AM

Panto doesn't really work on a screen. To 'get' it, you really have to be part of the audience at a live show. As SanVito says above, they often attract major actors as well as a lot of current soap stars.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Didn't we get the majority of our Xmas traditions from the UK (except for the fat man in the red suit)?
Even that, partially.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
Every pantomime show I've seen (on TV or in movies)
Then you've never seen a panto. Just the ghost of one.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:30 AM

In the US at least Chinese restaurants are open on Christmas. Hence the cliche that Jews eat there that day. I know I have done that.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:10 PM

Last year we were in London on Christmas Day, also the day before and after.

Public transportation stops on Christmas Eve and doesn't start again until the day after Christmas. We knew this and planned accordingly, but there were a lot of surprised tourist. Lots of restaurants were closed, so it was only a question of planning ahead and knowing we had to walk a bit further for our morning Starbucks.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Iím sure you know that everything will be closed. In the USA, I know itís common for some bars to open later in the afternoon and thereís always a few restaurants open.
I've only spent Christmas overseas once - and this was the weird thing. I was very confused about what was going to be closed and when and it was a lot harder to figure out. Some things that I expected to be open weren't and vice versa. I had a good time and very good memories - but there were a few bumps (again, nothing major) that I wouldn't have had if I were traveling on January 25 rather than December 25.

As it sounds like you're going to enjoy the hotel - I'd advise calling the concierge and seeing what they recommend and asking if there's anything you can/should book in advance both onsite and very near by.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Even that, partially.
MrDibble believes in Father Christmas.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
As it sounds like you're going to enjoy the hotel - I'd advise calling the concierge and seeing what they recommend and asking if there's anything you can/should book in advance both onsite and very nearby.
Good advice, but Mrs Bob and I have decided that we will just go with the flow. After all, we are paying a lot of money to have them take care of and entertain us.

Last edited by bob++; 11-08-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob++ View Post
Good advice, but Mrs Bob and I have decided that we will just go with the flow. After all, we are paying a lot of money to have them take care of and entertain us.
I think youíre making a mistake, but itís your trip. I hope it works out.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
I think youíre making a mistake, but itís your trip. I hope it works out.
The whole thing, or just the 'going with the flow'?
Old 11-08-2019, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob++ View Post
You and Mrs. Bob++ will have a blast! The flow often goes to great places.