Old 11-02-2019, 09:36 AM

Is there any gold in Fort Knox?

In a recent GQ thread we learn that 99.99 gold, 9999 gold, .9999 gold and 999.9 gold (but NOT 9.999 !) are all different names for the same thing.

With that question out of the way, I wanted to post a follow-up. But this forum seems better suited than GQ.

Is there any gold in Fort Knox?

Perhaps citizens should feel much more at ease now. The Fort Knox Depository was visited two years ago by Steven Mnuchin and Mich McConnell. (Rand Paul had been whining for such a visit for decades, and was invited, but had a prior engagement on the day of the visit. )

Steven Mnuchin took his wife along:
Quote:
On Friday, August 21, 2017, Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin and his wife flew to Louisville, Kentucky via a U.S. military jet.

The cover story put out by his office to justify the use of the jet was that he had several government-related business meetings to attend in the area and would also tour Fort Knox.

In an attempt to understand what was the real reason Mnuchin and his wife were in Kentucky---on the day the area was ground zero for the viewing of a once in a lifetime solar eclipse---ThinkProgress filed a Freedom of Information Act Request with the U.S. Bureau of the Mint.

The Mint provided this photo to TP of Mnuchin and his wife taken on the day of the solar eclipse outside the Search House of the U.S. Bullion Depository at Fort Knox:
The news articles do not mention whether Mnuchin or McConnell took along an X-ray fluorescence spectrometer to make sure the bars weren't gilted tungsten. This program shows what the honored guests were shown. Treasures included a 1974 aluminum penny, but only a single bar of bullion is mentioned (unless mentioned in the redacted portions).

Last edited by septimus; 11-02-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:48 AM

No, not since Operation Goldfinger cleaned it out in the Sixties. The documentary you saw featuring James Bond was a distraction.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:43 PM

Hurricane Ditka
Old 11-02-2019, 10:58 PM

Reported.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:09 AM

Why are you posting this now?
Old 11-03-2019, 04:58 AM

Could someone else ask Septimus why he's asking this question two years after the event in question?
Old 11-03-2019, 06:06 AM

Nobody knows why Septimus does what Septimus does, least of all Septimus.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:43 AM

I was reminded of the incident which I find interesting for several reasons by the recent 999.9 Gold thread, but I realized it didn't belong in the GQ thread.

So much to Pit from the news article:
* Mnuchin, himself almost a billionaire, loves to arrange personal holidays at government expense.
* Paul father-and-son, so eager to prattle gibberish about whether the gold is really there, couldn't bother to show up when the tour was arranged for them.
* the tour seemed to emphasize trinkets like the aluminum penny, rather than the alleged billions in gold bullion. Surely they should have been allowed to see stacks of the glittery metal, or even observe an actual spectroscope test. (Gold or Tungsten? You decide.)
* and what's with the redactions? Are they worried about revealing security details that would help Auric Goldfinger?

I'm gullible enough to assume that the Fort really does have the gold it claims to have. ... But what did the conspiracy theorists make of that strange "tour"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Nobody knows why Septimus does what Septimus does, least of all Septimus.
Well, Good Day to you too.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
No, not since Operation Goldfinger cleaned it out in the Sixties. The documentary you saw featuring James Bond was a distraction.
Operation Grand Slam.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:17 PM

Two words, you may have overheard, which cannot possibly have any significance to you or anyone in your organization...
Old 11-03-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
* Mnuchin, himself almost a billionaire, loves to arrange personal holidays at government expense.
Years ago there was a wine called Chateau Luzerne; while the name sounded fancy & European it was actually named for the street it was made on (3rd & Luzerne Sts).

They used to have a commercial of a wealthy guy & younger female in the back of a limo. He starts to pour from his gallon jug of Chateau Luzerne & she asks why if he's so rich he drinks such cheap reasonably priced wine.

His reply is, "How do you think I got so rich?"
Old 11-04-2019, 02:39 AM

What should we believe when told Ft Knox is or isn't stocked as advertised? How do we KNOW the vaults haven't been emptied so the White House can be gilded after the Senate votes Not Guilty? Maybe the stash was taken to an undisclosed safe location, or lost in accounting errors, or traded for black caviar and pee-tapes. Who knows?
Old 11-04-2019, 10:10 AM

So Steve Mnuchin went to Fort Knox, claiming he was there to visit the US gold reserve, but really to see an eclipse. But he did visit the US gold reserve. And we are mad because...?
Old 11-04-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
So Steve Mnuchin went to Fort Knox, claiming he was there to visit the US gold reserve, but really to see an eclipse. But he did visit the US gold reserve. And we are mad because...?
Darn mad. Two years' worth of mad...

8/21/17: mad; 8/21/18, still mad; 8/21/19, still mad and thinking about starting a thread; 9/21/19, still thinking, but not worth a thread; 10/21/19, stewing, the thread somehow beginning to make sense; 10/31/19, no sleep, shouldn't have gone trick-or-treating with a shot glass, damn, America needs my thread; 11/2/19, what the hell, here goes, I'll... ask if there's gold in Fort Knox! That'll show 'em!
Old 11-04-2019, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

I was curious how much the gold is worth, and found that all US gold reserves (not just Fort Knox, but the NY Fed too) amounts to "only" $400 billion. Sure that's a lot for you or me, but it's only about ten percent of annual Federal spending or about as much as the government has spent on the F-35 fighter jets. Total gross domestic product is about 19 trillion. In short, even if the gold disappeared, it really wouldn't matter. Perhaps a hundred years ago, the gold reserves mattered to overall Federal spending or the economy as a whole, but no longer.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:09 PM

And is it happy gold? (at 3:45)
Old 11-05-2019, 03:14 PM

The second link in the OP says Fort Knox was 147 miles north of the path of totality. That's hardly "ground zero" as described in the OP's (unattributed) quote. Hardly even worth watching unless you happen to be there and have a rooftop at your disposal, which they did. Bringing the wife along is a little , but I imagine Mnuchin is guilty of far worse.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellMyWort View Post
... That's hardly "ground zero" as described in the OP's (unattributed) quote. ... Bringing the wife along is a little , but I imagine Mnuchin is guilty of far worse.
Pro-tip: (Although this may be harder for masochists posting via smart-phone) you can use your mouse and the control-C/control-V shortcuts to paste a long excerpt from any quote into the Google search bar, add quotation marks at each end, and click on Search. I do try to be helpful, but there's diminishing returns in listing many many links, when I know some will never be clicked by anyone.

In this example, when I proceed as described the first hit is to this SDMB thread. (Go, SDMB!) The second hit, which may address some of your concerns, is
https://www.economicpolicyjournal.co...secretary.html

Sure, this junket won't make any Top List of Trump and Trumpist crimes. I found the whole story more amusing than anything else; I posted in BBQ Pit so we could all say what we felt about it.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:13 PM

This "event" happened years ago, was in all the media, was discussed, and we've all moved on.

The eclipse was cool though.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:36 PM

In other news, Jimmy Carter built a house.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellMyWort View Post
The second link in the OP says Fort Knox was 147 miles north of the path of totality. That's hardly "ground zero" as described in the OP's (unattributed) quote.
Apparently from here: Economic Policy Journal

It was hardly "a once in a lifetime solar eclipse". The only thing at all unusual about it (as solar eclipses go) was that it crossed the entire continental US, coast to coast, and even that happens more than once in the average human lifespan. Makes me suspect that source is not exactly unbiased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavera View Post
Hurricane Ditka
Wut?
Old 11-06-2019, 08:58 PM

God, I hope they don't give Trump the spare key.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:40 AM

But, what does Hurricane Ditka think about it?
Old 11-07-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltree View Post
Apparently from here: Economic Policy Journal

It was hardly "a once in a lifetime solar eclipse". The only thing at all unusual about it (as solar eclipses go) was that it crossed the entire continental US, coast to coast, and even that happens more than once in the average human lifespan. Makes me suspect that source is not exactly unbiased.:
It makes me suspect you didn't look this up.
Solar Eclipse 2017
Quote:
Prior to this event, no solar eclipse had been visible across the entire United States since June 8, 1918; not since the February 1979 eclipse had a total eclipse been visible from anywhere in the mainland United States.[2]
Old 11-07-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Pro-tip: (Although this may be harder for masochists posting via smart-phone) you can use your mouse and the control-C/control-V shortcuts to paste a long excerpt from any quote into the Google search bar, add quotation marks at each end, and click on Search. I do try to be helpful, but there's diminishing returns in listing many many links, when I know some will never be clicked by anyone.

In this example, when I proceed as described the first hit is to this SDMB thread. (Go, SDMB!) The second hit, which may address some of your concerns, is
https://www.economicpolicyjournal.co...secretary.html

Sure, this junket won't make any Top List of Trump and Trumpist crimes. I found the whole story more amusing than anything else; I posted in BBQ Pit so we could all say what we felt about it.
Pro-tip: Fuck that nonsense.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltree View Post
... It was hardly "a once in a lifetime solar eclipse"....
I saw a total eclipse of the sun once in my lifetime. The eclipse itself was one of the less interesting details from that junket!

The facet of the eclipse that impressed me most? Learning that 100% totality is much darker than 99.99% totality.