Old 05-14-2015, 09:36 PM

She totally had a nose job. Not that I've seen it confirmed, but her nose is way different in 04 than 94.

The hardest thing I have about rewatching is just how terrible Monica looks in the first few seasons. She looks older in S1 and 2 than she did in the last two. Her hair was a nightmare. It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode with Wendy Malick and the terrible, outdated hair.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Jeff View Post
Cox was the star when it started? All she had was that Springsteen video going for her, right? I figured Perry and Kudrow were the stars. Perry had appeared in a lot of sitcoms by then and Kudrow had been and still was the Ursula character in Mad About You.
Courtney Cox was the only semi famous name in the cast at the start. Mostly because of the Springsteen video (it was VERY popular) and a memorable run as one of Alex's girlfriends on Family Ties.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Courtney Cox was the only semi famous name in the cast at the start. Mostly because of the Springsteen video (it was VERY popular) and a memorable run as one of Alex's girlfriends on Family Ties.
::coughs:: Ace Ventura ::coughs::
Old 08-19-2015, 10:45 AM
SDSAB

A deleted Friends scene, about Chandler and Monica leaving for their honeymoon, has been released: http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/19/entert...eat/index.html
Old 08-19-2015, 10:54 AM

I was never a fan of the show. Between me and my friends, we had nicknames for it:

The Crap after Seinfeld
Sex and the City for people who couldn't afford HBO
Another show about nothing, but dumb
Everybody Hates Ross
The show only one guy has a job
Old 08-19-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
A deleted Friends scene, about Chandler and Monica leaving for their honeymoon, has been released: http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/19/entert...eat/index.html
That was on the DVDs like 15 years ago.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
<snip>

Even worse is Ross's ex-wife and her new girlfriend Carol and Susan in their few appearances. I can get that Ross would have some resentment towards them, but they seem to be written as castrating bitches who are out to make Ross miserable. Carol is the one going through a pregnancy and major life change, yet this is entirely Ross's story and she is simply there as a difficulty for him to deal with.

In fact, the whole time-line of Carol's pregnancy doesn't even make sense when I think about it: I could buy her not realizing she was a lesbian until she met Susan, but when did she get pregnant??? It's not like getting divorced can be done in a day - there must have been a transition period in which it could be assumed she and Ross were NOT having sex. The only way it could logically work is if she deliberately had sex with Ross one final time during their divorce proceedings with the intent of getting knocked up. And if so, that makes her a terrible, TERRIBLE person.
The actress who played Susan, Jessica Hecht, also played Gretchen on Breaking Bad.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Can't click the link at the moment but I remember they had a sub plot about Chandler making a bomb joke in an airport and cut it because it was right around 9/11 so they cut it. I suppose that is what this is?.

Last edited by Quimby; 08-19-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:36 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
That was on the DVDs like 15 years ago.
Really? Odd that CNN wouldn't mention that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Can't click the link at the moment but I remember they had a sub plot about Chandler making a bomb joke in an airport and cut it because it was right around 9/11 so they cut it. I suppose that is what this is?.
Yes. It would've aired about two weeks after 9-11.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Really? Odd that CNN wouldn't mention that.
Do you really find it odd that CNN would fail to do the most basic of research?

Here's the scene on YouTube, uploaded way back in the wild days of 2007.

ETA: Jeezus fuck. Now that I look again, that's the same fucking youtube video that's embedded in the CNN story!

Last edited by friedo; 08-20-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:09 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I've been thinking of finally watching Friends. I've seen exactly one (1) episode, and that was while staying in a hotel room in Kuala Lumpur in 1999. But the wife and I are going through The Big Bang Theory now, and that show is so good that I wondered if it might make earlier shows like Friends pale in comparison.
Now that I'm back in the US, I'm pleased to see Friends being shown so often. TBS seems to have two hours just about every night, and other channels air it too. So I'm getting caught up a little.

Funny how these things can be tracked historically. I recall endless reruns of Lucille Ball's various shows. Twenty or 30 years ago, it was M*A*S*H. Today it's Friends, Seinfeld and The Big Bang Theory.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

i happened upon a complete series dvd set. it holds up pretty well. i like how they do a thanksgiving episode every year.

phoebe's wedding was the best and prettiest. watching one after the other i noticed that chandler and richard had similar body language and an easy way with monica's idiosyncrasies. the richard character fit in the best with the 6 out of all the outside love interests.

interesting how the show had 3 of the women who ended up on criminal minds.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:44 PM

This thread is over a year old, but that's OK. Friends holds up amazingly well. My wife and I are watching through them on Netflix; and like Malcom in the Middle, it's hard to find a bad episode.
I have to agree with Quimby, Lisa Kudrow is the best of the bunch by far. Her character Phoebe is hilarious and Kudrow pulls it off perfectly. Rachel in real life is... wow... not a nice person at all. I've never been a big Ross fan, except for when he's a side character to the story line. The one exception is when HE WAS ON A BREAK! Everything else where he's a whiny ass... no thank you. Where he shined was when he was just part of the conversation:
Joey: That's how they do pants! First they go up one side, they move it over, then they go up the other side then they move it back, and then they do the rear. Ross, will you tell him. Isn't that how a tailor measures pants?
Ross: Yes, yes it is... in prison!
Old 08-08-2019, 09:44 PM
SDSAB

Bumped.

Despite Phoebe's likely angst, Pottery Barn now has a line of Friends stuff: https://www.potterybarn.com/shop/new...-pottery-barn/
Old 08-09-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Bumped.

Despite Phoebe's likely angst, Pottery Barn now has a line of Friends stuff: https://www.potterybarn.com/shop/new...-pottery-barn/
Wow, they really don't give you the old-timey pricing for that apothecary table.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:38 AM

I'm surprised at the Friends positivity in this thread. I'm actually surprised two-fold. The first is that it's so cool to hate Friends I'm surprised there are so many people (like me!) who genuinely like the show. The second is I'm surprised the people who do hate it are restrained enough to not threadshit.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
Something that always distracts me when I watch the shows now is how much Jennifer Aniston changed over time. Or actually, it's more like trying to put my finger on exactly what changed. Something about her face is different, starting I think, in the third season. Obviously weight loss will change one's face, but it's more than that. I can't remember if I actually heard she'd had plastic surgery or if I'm confusing it with the Rachel character. Her voice seems to have change in some way also, though again I can't quite pinpoint how. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?
I think she had a bit of a baby face early on but seemed to have a little more defined cheekbones later. Her voice I think matured and deepened a little over time. I think the quality of the show was pretty consistent over time. The biggest change that I see from early years to later ones is the girls' fashions got a little less dressy and more casual. Ross and Phoebe didn't change much in my opinion, Joey visibly aged during the show but I agree that it takes some talent to convincingly play someone that uneducated. He didn't seem stupid, he just seemed like the guy who didn't study at all. Chandler's character perhaps evolved the most, he went from being a joke machine to being a little more complex.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Joey visibly aged during the show but I agree that it takes some talent to convincingly play someone that uneducated.
Chandler's appearance went downhill far more than Joey's. Perry was having a lot of personal issues (and seems to still be not in a good place). It showed.

LeBlanc's real acting abilities shine in Episodes where he nominally plays himself. But with amazing gusto and lack of self-awareness (most of the time).
Old 08-09-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Bumped.

But where is the bird cage? Where is the folding divider thingy?
Old 08-09-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
Wow, they really don't give you the old-timey pricing for that apothecary table.
You can't even smell the opium.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:24 PM

https://youtu.be/oUc0vbSlanM
Old 08-09-2019, 05:26 PM

https://youtu.be/oUc0vbSlanM
Old 08-09-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
I never saw it, but I've heard that Cox fronted a failed sitcom called the Misfits of Science, and she had done a popular turn before that in a recurring role at Alex Keaton's girlfriend on "Family Ties" (19 episodes), as well as a feature film ("Masters of the Universe"). Aside from Kudrow's hilarious bit as Ursula, Cox is the only one I'd ever seen. Before it became the Ross and Rachel show (the reason I stopped watching about five seasons in), the A plots were about Monica and the B plots about the others.
"Misfits of Science" was a drama! A serious drama about people with bizarre powers working together to fight evil... in some way. In the first episode there's a monster obsessed with Amelia Earhart, for some reason. There were other episodes with characteristics, too!
Old 08-09-2019, 09:31 PM

The One With the Lego Set.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:42 PM
Elephant Whisperer

The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf is offering a series of Friends-based coffee drinks. Yesterday we tried the Phoebe, a cookies-and-cream frappe.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Bumped.

Ha! Thanks for the bump! Thanks to you bumping a thread that was almost 3 years old, I don't have to be a thread killer.... unless no one replies after this. Uh Oh. Is it possible to be a thread killer twice?
Old 08-14-2019, 11:59 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My favourite analysis of Friends courtesy of Lrr.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancephalic View Post
And the point of this is?
Old 08-16-2019, 12:43 AM
Elephant Whisperer

And to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Friends, 12 shows will be shown in movie theaters nationwide over three nights this fall.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:25 PM

For its time, certainly at the beginning anyway, Friends was exemplary without quite being ground-breaking. It had/has a lot of things going for it:

- skilled writers
- an attractive, talented cast
- a well-moderated grown-up-ish tone for the time - mild references to sex, drugs and alcohol - but nothing too 'HBO' ....
- very good and balanced characters
- a good mix of sentimentality and silliness - although it veered too much towards the former in future years.

It's interesting to compare it to Seinfeld, which was in many ways a more comedically edgy and adult, sophisticated show. Somehow, Friends seems to have aged better.

- Seinfeld had a more limited cast, and - it seems, at least, more limited budget
- It was more male/masculine both in terms of its cast and storylines
- While the characters in Friends had moments of selfishness and pettiness, overall their characters are portrayed sympathetically. All of the characters in Seinfeld are to various degrees (comedically) unpleasant, or the comedy is structured around the antisocial quirks of their colleagues/partners. Comparatively, Seinfeld feels rather acidic,in a very 1990s way. These days, we prefer our acidity in a different flavour, but our tastes for saccharine content (like in Friends) haven't evolved much.

Last edited by MrLee; 08-17-2019 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 11-08-2019, 04:13 PM
SDSAB

Aw, the cast still gets together now and then - does my heart good!: https://www.aol.com/article/entertai...ends/23856436/
Old 11-09-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Aw, the cast still gets together now and then - does my heart good!: https://www.aol.com/article/entertai...ends/23856436/
I burst out laughing when I saw the one with all six of them had 15 million likes - that is insane. It is sort of nice to hear about a cast that didn't all hate each other off-screen.