Old 09-18-2019, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Here is a list of all movies and TV shows at launch of Disney+. Well worth the $3.80 per month, and they will obviously be obtaining, creating, and adding more over the next few years.

All launch titles for Disney + in November.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:17 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Here is a list of all movies and TV shows at launch of Disney+. Well worth the $3.80 per month, and they will obviously be obtaining, creating, and adding more over the next few years.

All launch titles for Disney + in November.
Cool cool. Notable entries for me:
Adventures in Babysitting
Honey I Shrunk the Kids
Spacecamp
Tron

Missing...
Mickey's Christmas Carol
Several Muppet movies
Old 09-18-2019, 08:32 PM

JustWatch has added a Disney+ button for the Netherlands. I don't know how authoritative it is, but JustWatch is a fine resource that I recommend wholeheartedly, and it is available for many countries.

Last edited by galen ubal; 09-18-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:52 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

So no Disney+ app on Samsung SmarTVs? What a pain in the ass.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:15 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
So no Disney+ app on Samsung SmarTVs? What a pain in the ass.
Not on the Amazon Fire Stick at this point, either. I really don't want to have to buy another device.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Not on the Amazon Fire Stick at this point, either. I really don't want to have to buy another device.
I'm just streaming from a Chromebook. I presume it will work fine on the Disney+ website. Otherwise, I have no device to stream from.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:36 PM

I'm disappointed that I can't sign-up in Canada yet! It launches in 2 weeks and I still can't find a link to sign-up yet.

Also to note, there is no updated list (for Canada) of what content will be shown. Obviously all net-new shows will be there, but there is no guarantee that all of the movies that are on the US list will be shown in Canada on day 1.

Colour me frustrated!

MtM
Old 10-28-2019, 04:46 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Forgot about this thread.

Verizon is giving a free one-year Disney+ subscription to all Unlimited Wireless customers, and FiOS and 5G customers.

My friend said she did some digging and the free year can be "tacked on" to the 3 years I already paid for. But I do not know how it works for people like me who share a plan. Since I don't live with the person I share with (business partner) I probably don't get that extra free year for my own line. We'll see.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:38 AM

I hope this is on-topic enough to not be a threadjack, especially as I see a number of people have mentioned this issue, but haven't yet seen a definitive solution.

I have a Samsung Smart TV, and I would like to watch Disney+, with sound and video in high quality, coming from that television. Without resorting to unconfirmed rumors of future potential availability, how do I do this?

I have phrased my question in this way because I have already done some googling, and have become frustrated by what I've been able to find so far. Because so far, I have found tech blogs that are 90% hype for Disney+, and very light on information about actually watching it on my Samsung.

I do have a desktop in the room we watch TV in, and I know I can easily send video over to my Samsung, no problem. I'm not tech savvy enough to know that I can do so in HD or 4k, but I know I can get whatever's on my desktop monitor over to the TV. In any case the sound still plays through my desktop system, which is unacceptable for any regular TV viewing. I don't watch to watch Endgame or whatever with all the explosions and dialogue sounding like they are rotated 90 degrees and yards away from the action on screen.

Is a Roku really my best option? Cuz that would mean a fourth remote - "universal" remotes have never seemed to work for this VCR-clock-still-blinks-noon kinda guy. Worse, I don't have a 4th HDMI input on my TV. Can I plug a Roku into my DVD player or Comcast DVR?

I'm getting too old for this shit.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:28 PM

What are the 3 HDMI inputs currently plugged into?
Old 10-29-2019, 01:40 PM

You can get an HDMI splitter. Good news and bad news there, though: The good news is that you can find one with a remote control so you don't have to get up and walk over to the tv to switch between HDMI inputs. The bad news is that becomes yet another remote to deal with.

Worse is that they make everything "smart" nowadays to the point that devices are too smart for their own good. I have a remote control HDMI switcher, but it doesn't work for my Samsung blu-ray player because the blu-ray won't turn on if it doesn't sense a live output to send its signal to, and the HDMI switcher won't let you switch to a device that isn't sending a signal. So I have the roku and cable box hooked into the switcher (they always send signals) and the blu-ray plugged into the tv's second HDMI port. It's confusing and annoying that I have to do two completely different things to switch devices depending on which devices I'm switching between. On the plus side, I have a single universal remote that operates all my devices, including the switcher.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 10-29-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
What are the 3 HDMI inputs currently plugged into?
Comcast DVR, DVD player, and my desktop's video output. I realized shortly after posted that I can pretty safely lose the latter. For as often as I actually put anything from my desktop onto the TV, I might as well just switch out HDMI cables.

Thanks for the info on the HDMI splitter, Ellis. I will definitely look into that if I decide I need additional devices or for some reason want to us the TV as my 3rd monitor more often.

It looks like I will be getting a Roku, but I'm hoping that Samsung will add Disney+ to their supported apps near launch time, or at least that Hulu or Prime will add an option to watch through their services.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:48 PM

If you want to hear something even more ridiculous, I just got a new TCL Roku TV. Brand new 2019 model that was just released. It doesn't have the Apple TV app yet, but my $19 Roku device does. So I'll have to plug my Roku into my Roku to watch. I'll probably just wait a few months for support to catch up to the new hardware before I subscribe.

Also - if anyone is getting a new Roku device, if you purchase it through Walmart, they'll give you $10 in Vudu credit. If you aren't all that interested in digital movie streaming, I'll take it!
Old 10-29-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr, G. View Post
Comcast DVR, DVD player, and my desktop's video output. I realized shortly after posted that I can pretty safely lose the latter. For as often as I actually put anything from my desktop onto the TV, I might as well just switch out HDMI cables.
?? When you say desktop video output, you mean HDMI, right? That should be carrying sound*. Have you looked at the sound settings when its outputting to the TV? My experience is they usually auto-select but maybe yours needs a nudge.

*After all, it stands for Handy Dandy Movie Input, doncha know.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
?? When you say desktop video output, you mean HDMI, right? That should be carrying sound*. Have you looked at the sound settings when its outputting to the TV? My experience is they usually auto-select but maybe yours needs a nudge.[/SIZE]
Huh. I don't remember what I was thinking when I set everything up, but for the past few years I just assumed. Thanks to this comment, I checked, and yes, I can play sound from the desktop just fine with a click of the mouse. Thank you!

Where's that Emily Litella quote when you need it?
Old 10-29-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Also - if anyone is getting a new Roku device, if you purchase it through Walmart, they'll give you $10 in Vudu credit. If you aren't all that interested in digital movie streaming, I'll take it!
Didn't Vudu abruptly end a few weeks ago? I had it as one of my roku "channels" but then a few weeks ago it was replaced with a "Not Found" icon and I can no longer add it. I did some googling about Vudu disappearing but all the hits were articles about Ultraviolet being shut down.

Anyway, not sure what the $10 credit would be for. As far as I could tell, Vudu is (was?) 100% free. At least it was all the times I watched movies on Vudu.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 10-29-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:41 PM

Vudu is still most definitely alive. And it is a movie rental/purchase service with a few free movies - like an iTunes or Google Play Movies sort of deal.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr, G. View Post
I have a Samsung Smart TV, and I would like to watch Disney+, with sound and video in high quality, coming from that television.
I'm in a similar situation with my LG TV, and I wonder if Disney+ will be accessible on the TV through its web browser app? We have an Amazon Fire Stick, and for a while it had no YouTube app due to some dispute between Amazon and Google. During that time it was simple enough to just go to youtube.com in the Fire Stick's browser and watch videos that way.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Didn't Vudu abruptly end a few weeks ago? I had it as one of my roku "channels" but then a few weeks ago it was replaced with a "Not Found" icon and I can no longer add it. I did some googling about Vudu disappearing but all the hits were articles about Ultraviolet being shut down.
That's very odd. No - Vudu is alive and well.

Quote:
Anyway, not sure what the $10 credit would be for. As far as I could tell, Vudu is (was?) 100% free. At least it was all the times I watched movies on Vudu.
It's a digital media marketplace. You can buy or rent movies and television shows, much like Apple TV/iTunes (but without the music).
Old 11-08-2019, 08:46 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

So Verizon is giving a free year. There is supposed to be a Hulu bundle price. I have Verizon and Hulu and havenít figured out how to sign up through either.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
So Verizon is giving a free year. There is supposed to be a Hulu bundle price. I have Verizon and Hulu and havenít figured out how to sign up through either.
I don't think you'll be able to sign up for the ESPN+/Disney+ bundle through Hulu until Tuesday.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
So Verizon is giving a free year. There is supposed to be a Hulu bundle price. I have Verizon and Hulu and haven’t figured out how to sign up through either.
Provided your plan meets the requirements, sign in to your Verizon account via web or app and go the Add-ons section. Like mentioned above with Hulu, you might not be able sign up until Tuesday the 12th.

Last edited by zbuzz; 11-08-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:31 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuzz View Post
Provided your plan meets the requirements, sign in to your Verizon account via web or app and go the Add-ons section. Like mentioned above with Hulu, you might not be able sign up until Tuesday the 12th.

For the first time today Disney+ showed up on my Verizon app.

I hit the sign up button and it said to look at my emails on the 12th to see how to sign in for the free year.

Last edited by Loach; 11-09-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:38 PM

What do you mean by Verizon app? I'm curious because I have Roku and Vizio Smart TV but am not aware of a Verizon app. Verizon is my mobile provider, though, so is it a Verizon app on your phone?
Old 11-09-2019, 03:52 PM

What I'm driving at is if I can get it free for a year somehow, I want to figure out how.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:09 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal View Post
What do you mean by Verizon app? I'm curious because I have Roku and Vizio Smart TV but am not aware of a Verizon app. Verizon is my mobile provider, though, so is it a Verizon app on your phone?
The Verizon app where I pay my bill and track my phone usage etc. There is now a link for Disney+
Old 11-09-2019, 06:12 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal View Post
What I'm driving at is if I can get it free for a year somehow, I want to figure out how.
On the Verizon app there is a large banner link to Disney+. When I clicked it asked for my email. When I gave my email it then told me to watch my inbox on the 12th for an email about signing up for the free year.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:01 PM

I see. Apparently you need to have a certain type of Verizon plan, and I don't think we do. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/disney-faqs/ That's okay, though. We'll just sign up through Hulu. I understand the ESPN+/Disney+ bundle will be just a couple more dollars than what we're paying now.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

I got a snow day off work with my kids.

I, along with many others, can NOT get videos to play. I've tried a couple different videos and it does not work. Just the spinning "loading" or "buffering" wheel and no movies or TV shows will start.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:43 AM

Had some loading time issues but then got Last Exit to Springfield (4.17) up and running.
Plan to watch Endgame today or tomorrow.

I used Chrome on my PC over a FIOS connection.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:36 AM

The Mandalorian is so great! I can't believe he was Jar Jar the whole time!

Wait, am I in the wrong thread?

Has anyone gotten their sign up email from Verizon yet? Call me impatient, but I haven't gotten mine yet and I want to check in with others just in case
Old 11-12-2019, 10:46 AM

I guess Disney and Amazon worked things out, so there's a Disney+ app available for Fire devices now.

I'm having issues with the app and website as well, but that's to be expected. They must have a ton of people all trying to get in at once.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

I'm on Windows 10 using either Chrome or Firefox. I did get one movie to start, but how about this....

How do I download the movie so I can just play it from my computer? I heard all content was downloadable.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The service is supposed to be available in Canada but I can't find any way to sign up.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:47 AM

I signed up in Canada today through a "Try It" button on the front page of DisneyPlus.com. But the site is having a bunch of issues, presumably due to the volume of people trying to hit it all at once, so you may just need to wait a bit and try again.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:50 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Yeah, I am not seeing a 'Try It' button on that page. Not even the 'Sign In' link is going anywhere.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
The Mandalorian is so great! I can't believe he was Jar Jar the whole time!

Wait, am I in the wrong thread?

Has anyone gotten their sign up email from Verizon yet? Call me impatient, but I haven't gotten mine yet and I want to check in with others just in case
I have not gotten an email. BUT - go to Verizon's website and you can activate your year there. Was easy and quick. Disney+, not so quick at the moment. First day issues.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Apparently, you can not download on Windows 10, which is a HUGE mistake for them. I get that browsers can not download(same as Netflix), but get this:

No app offered for Windows 10

I had to go on a chromebook and install the Android app for Disney+. I now have a movie downloaded, but will the quality be OK? It was something like 900MB in size.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:02 PM

Is it true that they're showing all the Simpsons zoomed in, rather than in 4:3? Because I'm tempted to try it out but not if I'll be missing a third of the screen -- the Simpsons packs the screen with visual jokes (or, they used to, anyway).
Old 11-12-2019, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
Is it true that they're showing all the Simpsons zoomed in, rather than in 4:3? Because I'm tempted to try it out but not if I'll be missing a third of the screen -- the Simpsons packs the screen with visual jokes (or, they used to, anyway).
Yes, I think so. I just loaded up a random episode in my browser and it looks 16:9 instead of squareish like it aired.

I also would prefer full image over cropped. This is like pan-and-scan in reverse.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Yes, I think so. I just loaded up a random episode in my browser and it looks 16:9 instead of squareish like it aired.

I also would prefer full image over cropped. This is like pan-and-scan in reverse.
It's more like vertical pan-and-scan rather than horizontal. Or, it would be if they ever panned, which I doubt -- you're probably just always looking at the middle of the original. Pan-and-scan would actually try and pan to the important part of the original (which was also jarring). Anyway, pass.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

I'm streaming Attack of the Clones(my kids wanted to see the prequels) and it looks fine. Movie is still a snooze, but it looks fine on TV.

Streaming is working for at least this movie at this point in time.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:25 PM

Well, we got it here. Tonight I finally get to see Avengers:Endgame.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Song of the South confirmed?
According to this site it won't be included.
https://www.fatherly.com/play/disney...od-for-parents
Old 11-12-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
The only thing I've watched so far was the very first episode of the Simpsons, and it was widescreen (16:9 I suppose?) not 4:3. It is like a vertical pan and scan, in that some scenes appeared to be showing the top of the original frame, with the bottom cut, and others seemed to be showing the middle or bottom. I'm basing that purely on what appears to be missing from the scenes, and not by comparing it to the original broadcasts, so I could be wrong. The credits were just stretched.

They also changed the Han and Greedo scene, again.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoreply View Post

They also changed the Han and Greedo scene, again.
Yes, Greedo now has an additional shot before shooting.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

To go further, Greedo now says, "MACLUNKEY" before he shoots.

I'm not kidding.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:41 PM

Watched CA:First AVenger -

Sound seemed off - even tho I am direct HDMI and Internet - but otherwise - it worked as well as other streaming services.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Yeah you're right. The wording in the article doesn't indicate four logins. They might restrict by IP or something. I can definitely see them putting the effort in to technology that restricts logins, as that can be quite the money-loser for any streaming service!

But, I still have hope
Looks like Disney has had a change of heart and decided to reward your hope. You, your parents, your brother and your boyfriend can now safely enjoy Disney's tacit approval to abuse your Disney+ account subscriber agreement. Just don't go overboard.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:24 PM

I hate that the app isn't available on older iOSes. I mostly use my iPad for ebooks and Netflix and the Comedy Central app, all of which work with legacy apps so I have no real need to upgrade. I can use my phone and Chromecast it to my tv, but it's gonna be annoying for the kid using iPad. It also seems that it can't be played on old iOSes' browsers, but I could be wrong about that and it's just a regular old connection problem due to high traffic. I'm more mad at apple for making things obsolete faster than they need to but I am a little miffed Disney didn't do more to make it backwards compatible. But then again, maybe Apple doesn't let new apps do that.