Old 11-09-2019, 11:15 AM

Was anyone else offended by the use of Jamal Khashoggi as a clue? Especially to get "Saudi Arabia" as the answer(question)? It seemed in poor taste to use a recent murder victim. It's not like using Abraham Lincoln or something. It's barely over a year.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Was anyone else offended by the use of Jamal Khashoggi as a clue? Especially to get "Saudi Arabia" as the answer(question)? It seemed in poor taste to use a recent murder victim. It's not like using Abraham Lincoln or something. It's barely over a year.
Yes. That was jarring. “He went in and never came out.” Too soon
Old 11-12-2019, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Did you see the semi-final last night? The contestant in third place wrote, "What is we love you Alex" on the screen for his Final Jeopardy response and it seemed to choke up Alex Trebek for a few moments. (Trebek was off camera, but the emotion in his voice was apparent.)
Old 11-12-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Did you see the semi-final last night? The contestant in third place wrote, "What is we love you Alex" on the screen for his Final Jeopardy response and it seemed to choke up Alex Trebek for a few moments. (Trebek was off camera, but the emotion in his voice was apparent.)
We caught that. Don't know what to think about Trebek's reaction. Seemed a bit much, if that was what it was.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

I assumed it was a genuine emotional response and can't fault him for that.

Edited to add, it's possible the medications make him more emotional than normal, but I am not a doctor. Or it may be that he's been thinking about his future (certainly having to retire earlier than planned even if he survives the cancer).

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 11-12-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:12 AM

I noticed it too. He definitely got choked up, but soldiered on to the next 2 contestants.

And how on Earth did 3 champions not know Caddyshack?
Old 11-12-2019, 10:57 AM

I've read on another forum that Alex had just shared the fact that he was resuming chemo. That's what prompted Dhruv to write "We [heart] you, Alex" as his Final Jeopardy response.

Assuming that's true, and this was filmed at the time Alex had to go back into treatment after things had initially seemed so positive, you can imagine that his emotions were already pretty raw anyway. Sometimes when you're in that situation, it doesn't take much to get you choked up. If you watched all the way to the end, during the part when Alex goes over to talk to the contestants at the podium, you can see that he clasped Dhruv's hand pretty tightly rather than the usual perfunctory handshake.

They could easily have re-recorded Alex's audio, and not shown the scenes of him choking up. But I'm glad they didn't. It was a very genuine and heartfelt moment. Whatever happens, this is likely to be Alex's last Tournament of Champions. It's not surprising that everybody is feeling a bit emotional about it.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commasense View Post
Any TOC players here? I ask because in normal play, all contestants on a given tape day watch the games played before they go on. I was wondering while watching this week's games if they do the same thing during the TOC. If so, the later players would have a better idea of how much they would need to get one of the wild card spots. That would seem to give them an unfair advantage.

So do TOC players get to see the games before theirs, or are they isolated? Anyone?
Not a ToC Contestant but they are definitely isolated. Too much of a competitive advantage if the Thu-Fri contestants knew the qualifying scores.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
Not a ToC Contestant but they are definitely isolated. Too much of a competitive advantage if the Thu-Fri contestants knew the qualifying scores.
That's what I would have expected. And not that I'm doubting you, but where did you learn that?
Old 11-14-2019, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Did the impeachment hearings preempt Wednesday's broadcast for anyone else? I'm recording them, and binge-watched the TOC, and yesterday's was preempted. I'm glad I got to see James, and the Alex moment. I hope when I get home I get to see Jeopardy, and if not, I can find it online.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

In my area, when Jeopardy is preempted (for a football or baseball game, for instance), the show is aired at night, like around 1am or so.

And BTW, if you saw the first two episodes this week, you'll know that two of the three players in the TOC final games are James and Emma Boettcher, who defeated him in regular season play. I doubt that has ever happened before in a Jeopardy! TOC.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Right! I had forgotten that! I liked her, too.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores Reborn View Post
Did the impeachment hearings preempt Wednesday's broadcast for anyone else? I'm recording them, and binge-watched the TOC, and yesterday's was preempted. I'm glad I got to see James, and the Alex moment. I hope when I get home I get to see Jeopardy, and if not, I can find it online.
If you have cable (and I assume you do), you might want to check the higher channels that you normally don't bother with. My provider goes up into the 900s, and I was delighted to find a channel (527) out of Seattle one day that shows Jeopardy! three hours after it's on here in Toronto. If I happen to miss an episode at 19:30, I can catch it at 22:30.

Last edited by terentii; 11-14-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Thanks! I'll check it out.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

It's kind of weird and ridiculous that Jeopardy isn't on any of the streaming services. Actually, even weirder - it is - but only random old segments. You can find Jeopardy on netflix and there are just like 30 or 40 episodes randomly from 20+ years ago, and I think one tournament of champions from a few years ago. Why is it that netflix has streaming rights to jeopardy... just in a totally useless and random way?
Old 11-14-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commasense View Post
That's what I would have expected. And not that I'm doubting you, but where did you learn that?
Kyle, who played in the first day of the quarterfinals, mentions the sequestration of players in episode 3 of his podcast "Potent Podables". He also mentioned that they were watching "Shawn of the Dead" in the greenroom.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores Reborn View Post
Thanks! I'll check it out.
FYI, my channel 527 is KOMO-HD, part of the ABC network. KOMO-TV (same programming schedule, it looks like) is at 151, but for some reason I can't access it (probably because my cable service is High Definition).

They both show Wheel and Jeopardy! back-to-back, too.

Last edited by terentii; 11-14-2019 at 07:26 PM.