Old 11-08-2019, 07:49 PM

Vanna White steps in to host Wheel of Fortune after Pat Sajak's surgery.aj

Sending Best wishes and a speedy recovery to Pat.

Does anyone know what the taping lead time is for Wheel? Is it similar to Jeopardy and a couple months?

I'd like to see how Vanna does hosting the show.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/08/pat-sa...n-his-absence/
Quote:
“Wheel of Fortune” host Pat Sajak will be off the show temporarily after a blocked intestine sent him into emergency surgery — but he’s leaving the show in able hands.

Co-host and puzzle model extraordinaire Vanna White will host the show in Sajak’s absence as he recovers from his operation, the 37-year-strong game show announced Friday.
Sajak, who’s hosted the show since 1982, was hospitalized Thursday for the blocked intestine, but the 73-year-old is now resting and is expected to recover.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-08-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:58 PM

Who's going to reveal the letters?
Old 11-08-2019, 08:09 PM

I don't know what the lead time is for WoF, but they tape a week's worth of shows in a day. And then the next day they do another day's worth. And so on, for four days, and then they get the rest of the month off.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
I don't know what the lead time is for WoF, but they tape a week's worth of shows in a day. And then the next day they do another day's worth. And so on, for four days, and then they get the rest of the month off.
So they tape five plus four shows in a week? Or did you mean to say five shows every day of the week?
Old 11-08-2019, 08:51 PM

Talk about being thrown in the deep end. They should give her a little experience on the set first.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
So they tape five plus four shows in a week? Or did you mean to say five shows every day of the week?
I wonít say which show, but I was at a taping of a quiz show where the entire first round of 16 shows was shot in a weekend (Saturday & Sunday). The actual quizzing was a total of about 10 minutes out of the 30 minute show. So they actually got a show shot in about 45 minutes. Including a bunch of retakes where the host stumbled on a question or mispronounced a word.

The host had a change of wardrobe between each show. Or at least shirt, jacket and tie.

The quarterfinals were the following weekend, then the semifinals and finals on a third weekend a few weeks later.

I only watched one contest, but we were hanging out in the lobby for hours where there was a sort of geek carnival on. The audience was switched over each game. Every hour on the hour. No break for lunch or anything.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

So who will they have standing next to the puzzle and pointing at it?
Old 11-09-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

I give Vanna White credit. There was a period back in the late eighties when it looked like she might become a major star. A lot of people in the same position would have quit their job turning letters on a game show. White didn't; she kept working her "day job" while she took advantage of the opportunities her increased popularity offered.

As it turned out, White never made it to the next level. But unlike most people in the same situation, she didn't disappear. She still had a job - which I guess at this point has been a career - on Wheel of Fortune.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Plenty of actors would kill for a "day job" co-hosting a long-running game show.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Plenty of actors would kill for a "day job" co-hosting a long-running game show.
I can vouch for this.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Jeopardy did five shows Monday and five shows Tuesday, and I guess worked on production for the rest of the week. My show had a time lag of about two months before it was broadcast, but it was the second week of the new season so later ones might be longer.
Jeopardy and Wheel are filmed next door to each other, and so I'd assume they are similar.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Chuck Woolery?
Old 11-10-2019, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Only until they have it.

A lot of actors seem to feel they're destined for greater things. So whatever success they currently have, they only see it as a stepping stone. They're eager to move on to the next bigger success. They don't seem to consider that their current success might be the peak of their career and it's all downhill from now on.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:46 AM

Iím waiting for a contestant to have a Freudian slip and ask to buy a bowel.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:58 AM

\ last time I watched it looked like they used touch screens and she just tapped them as she walked by or they just lit up as she pointed and i might be wrong but i think shes filled in at least once before for pat

Last edited by nightshadea; 11-11-2019 at 02:01 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:33 AM

It's hard to poke fun at someone who works 35 days a year and pulls down $10 million. What's so great about being an actor anyway?
Old 11-11-2019, 08:12 AM

The Vanna hosted shows are slated to begin airing the week of Dec. 9.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:34 AM

I believe that a lot of the same production people who work on Wheel also work on Jeopardy! They are both taped at Sony Studios in Culver City.

When I was on Jeopardy! a couple of years ago, it recorded a week's worth of shows in a single day, recording on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. My impression was that Wheel did the same, but recorded their shows on Thursday and Friday. I don't know if this schedule has changed since then, or if Alex Trebek's illness has had any affect on it.

I can tell you that on the Thursday morning after my day of recording, while I was waiting at the hotel for the Uber to take me to the airport, I saw a group of Wheel contestants waiting in the lobby for the van to take them to the studio.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:34 AM

Who's aj?
Old 11-11-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
Chuck Woolery?
What's Susan Stafford up to these days?
Old 11-11-2019, 09:11 AM

I suspect Vanna could do the job in her sleep. I mean, I wish Pat all the best but I doubt standards will slip with Vanna hosting. Might even be a step up.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I donít think Carol Merrillís schedule is that full these days. She could probably manage it.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
I donít think Carol Merrillís schedule is that full these days. She could probably manage it.
If they're going to have a woman host, then they need a hunky guy turning letters. Either in a tux, or maybe dressed and acting like this guy.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
If they're going to have a woman host, then they need a hunky guy turning letters. Either in a tux, or maybe dressed and acting like this guy.
For what they pay, I'd even turn the letters wearing a speedo.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
This is somewhat off-topic, but I once heard that Merrill had a term for the hand gestures that she made while showing off some product on Let's Make a Deal, but I can't remember what it was. Does that ring a bell with anyone?
Old 11-11-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I realize that the overlap between people who watch the US Wheel of Fortune and UK 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown is very, very small, but I bet "Fabio" would come turn letters for Vanna.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

This is a perfect opportunity for Wheel to bring in celebrity guest letter turners. In addition to Jeopardy, Sony Pictures Television also appears to have deals with Dr. Oz, Queen Latifah, and who knows who else. Bring in a star to plug their project, they work a half-day, everybody wins.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
Iím waiting for a contestant to have a Freudian slip and ask to buy a bowel.
I'm sure someone has and it got edited out. You think Pat never hits a bankrupt when he gives the wheel a final spin?
Old 11-11-2019, 11:52 PM

In terms of effort invested versus money earned, Vanna’s got to have the most lucrative job in the history of time.

Do you think they tell her the answers to the puzzles before the show begins?

Has she ever had a stressful day at work?

Last edited by Moriarty; 11-11-2019 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
This is a perfect opportunity for Wheel to bring in celebrity guest letter turners. In addition to Jeopardy, Sony Pictures Television also appears to have deals with Dr. Oz, Queen Latifah, and who knows who else. Bring in a star to plug their project, they work a half-day, everybody wins.
That's quite a good idea. But now I want to see Terry Crews doing it. Because that would be awesome.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
That's quite a good idea. But now I want to see Terry Crews doing it. Because that would be awesome.
He sucked noogie hosting Who Wants to be a Millionaire? I couldn't stand him.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
Let's not forget that there is real money on the line. I've always thought that hosting a game show is probably a lot tougher than it looks; you have to be pleasant and personable, but also manage the game, watch for violations of the rules, and be scrupulously fair. If it looks easy, remember that the only people we ever see do it are really good.

I'm sure that revealing the letters on the puzzle isn't as hard as running the game, but if I was a contestant, had a once-in-a-lifetime chance to win tens of thousands of dollars, I wouldn't want one of the hosts to be someone the producers brought in on a lark.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I suspect Vanna could do the job in her sleep. I mean, I wish Pat all the best but I doubt standards will slip with Vanna hosting. Might even be a step up.
I will be watching when she is running the game, but I have serious doubts she will be better than Sajak. He is really quite good making people feel at ease and tossing off funny quips. I realize humor is subjective, but I've always found him to be funny. I do wish Vanna the best, though. Both her and Pat seem like nice people who actually like each other.

Quote:
I've always thought that hosting a game show is probably a lot tougher than it looks; you have to be pleasant and personable, but also manage the game, watch for violations of the rules, and be scrupulously fair. If it looks easy, remember that the only people we ever see do it are really good.
I agree.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I give Vanna White credit. There was a period back in the late eighties when it looked like she might become a major star. A lot of people in the same position would have quit their job turning letters on a game show. White didn't; she kept working her "day job" while she took advantage of the opportunities her increased popularity offered.

As it turned out, White never made it to the next level. But unlike most people in the same situation, she didn't disappear. She still had a job - which I guess at this point has been a career - on Wheel of Fortune.
Her and Pat Sajak both explored advancing/diversifying their careers while keeping their WOF jobs. He had a talk show for about 16 months in 1989 and 1990. His Wiki page indicates that he has substituted for Larry King and Regis Philbin over the years, too. Of course, working only four days a month in your main job made it easy for Vanna and Pat to try other things while keeping their gravy train game show jobs.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I've always thought that hosting a game show is probably a lot tougher than it looks; you have to be pleasant and personable, but also manage the game, watch for violations of the rules, and be scrupulously fair. If it looks easy, remember that the only people we ever see do it are really good.
If you ever saw Louie Anderson hosting Family Feud, that ought to be all the proof you need that not just anyone can do that job!
Old 11-12-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
He sucked noogie hosting Who Wants to be a Millionaire? I couldn't stand him.
Oh he'd be a terrible host. But turning letters? That'd be fun.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Let's not forget that there is real money on the line. I've always thought that hosting a game show is probably a lot tougher than it looks; you have to be pleasant and personable, but also manage the game, watch for violations of the rules, and be scrupulously fair. If it looks easy, remember that the only people we ever see do it are really good.
Does Pat really do anything though? It seems like he's always reacting to what's actually happening. Like whether a letter is up on the board is controlled by the production crew.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I'm sure someone has and it got edited out. You think Pat never hits a bankrupt when he gives the wheel a final spin?
I haven't watched the show in a decade or two, but they, at least sometimes, used to show him landing on non-dollar amounts and respinning..

ETA: Yep, one of the comments, at least, says the last time they showed Pat spin a bankrupt or lose a turn was in 1998. I definitely do remember them every once in a while from my childhood, though.

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-12-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Oh he'd be a terrible host. But turning letters? That'd be fun.
Can he do it in an evening gown? I could see him doing that
Old 11-12-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I did mean to say five shows every day of the week, but I'm not sure that's entirely accurate, it may have been six shows a day, for four days. Whatever, the cast and crew were not working every day and in fact had a lot of time off.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I haven't watched the show in a decade or two, but they, at least sometimes, used to show him landing on non-dollar amounts and respinning..

ETA: Yep, one of the comments, at least, says the last time they showed Pat spin a bankrupt or lose a turn was in 1998. I definitely do remember them every once in a while from my childhood, though.
I wonder if it was harder to edit back then. The day I taped Jeopardy they retaped the scores when they marked someone's answer incorrect when he was right, and they recorded Alex resaying words he messed up the first time. So I suspect it is easy today.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobysnax View Post
Can he do it in an evening gown? I could see him doing that
And backwards.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post

Hereís how I remember it (although given whatís happened to my memory in the past few years, Iím prepared to be corrected):

White started out on Wheel and immediately became a media darling ... Sheís so beautiful! ... She should do more than just turn letters (she actually turned them back then) ... She could be the next big thing! You couldnít pick up magazine without seeing an article about her.

Then she did her first non-Wheel project, a made for TV movie in which she played Venus, the Roman goddess, who somehow shows up in what was then the modern day. I think it was on CBS, and that David Naughton starred opposite her.

She was terrible. Like really, really terrible. Like, I saw my daughterís high school play last weekend, and there was only one kid in it who was as bad as she was as Venus.

My then-girlfriend and I were watching whatever was opposite this movie, and on a commercial, we flipped over out of curiosity. We heard her deliver one line (ďYou cannot defy the goddess of love!Ē) and we were so embarrassed for her that we couldnít flip back fast enough.

There were a couple of reviews/articles about how bad it was, and then she was no longer being featured in media everywhere.

And she was still under contract at Wheel, so leaving her day job wasnít an option yet, fortunately.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

I never saw any more of the Venus thing than the promos (which basically consisted of White in classical garb smiling and waving, so not too different from what she does on Wheel), but I do remember it flopping horribly.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayuga View Post
White started out on Wheel and immediately became a media darling ... She’s so beautiful! ... She should do more than just turn letters (she actually turned them back then) ... She could be the next big thing! You couldn’t pick up magazine without seeing an article about her.
She did a spread in Playboy, but she didn't really show anything, except through clingy, gauzy fabric. (IIRC, the camera lens was heavily smeared with Vaseline, too.)

Around the same time, she "penned" a book called Vanna Speaks, in whch she offered beauty and lifestyle tips. One I seem to remember is pushing down your cuticles while you're in the shower.

Mercifully (I guess) I had completely forgotten about the Venus thing until now.

Last edited by terentii; 11-12-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I never saw any more of the Venus thing than the promos (which basically consisted of White in classical garb smiling and waving, so not too different from what she does on Wheel), but I do remember it flopping horribly.
One of my housemates at the time was a big Vanna fan. We watched it. It was horrible. The woman just could not act. A complete embarrassment.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
She did a spread in Playboy, but she didn't really show anything, except through clingy, gauzy fabric. (IIRC, the camera lens was heavily smeared with Vaseline, too.)
To clarify - in 1987 Playboy published photos that had been taken before she was cast on Wheel. She objected (apparently she knew Hef), but they published them anyway.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
To clarify - in 1987 Playboy published photos that had been taken before she was cast on Wheel. She objected (apparently she knew Hef), but they published them anyway.
Sort of like what happened with Vanessa "First Black Miss America" Williams and Penthouse.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:10 PM

I cannot say anything bad about Vanna's job. That she managed to make turning (and lately, "turning") letters into a lifetime, highly-compensated career is great. Good for her!

But the fact that the job exists is insulting. TV's continuous use of beautiful women as props is as anachronistic as buggy whips (or should be). Look at Deal or No Deal!

But it seems American audiences still can't accept women in authority. Why isn't Vanna (or someone like her) running the show? Why isn't a woman hosting Jeopardy!? Because the ratings would fall. American women would probably not watch Wheel if a woman hosted full time.

But the industry knows its formula. You could play Wheel or Deal or Millionaire in a quarter the time, if you removed the fluff, but no one would watch it most likely.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I cannot say anything bad about Vanna's job. That she managed to make turning (and lately, "turning") letters into a lifetime, highly-compensated career is great. Good for her!

But the fact that the job exists is insulting. TV's continuous use of beautiful women as props is as anachronistic as buggy whips (or should be). Look at Deal or No Deal!

But it seems American audiences still can't accept women in authority. Why isn't Vanna (or someone like her) running the show? Why isn't a woman hosting Jeopardy!? Because the ratings would fall. American women would probably not watch Wheel if a woman hosted full time.

But the industry knows its formula. You could play Wheel or Deal or Millionaire in a quarter the time, if you removed the fluff, but no one would watch it most likely.
This is a gross exaggeration. There have been a number of game shows with female hosts, and they've done just fine in the ratings. On the other hand, numerous studies have shown audiences prefer a male/female format in any genre (e.g., game, talk, news) when the situation calls for it. Vanna may not contribute much verbally to Wheel, but her role is indispensible.