Old 11-08-2019, 11:18 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I thought that was about an NFL team.

From his Wiki:
Quote:
Armstrong had nineteen "Top Ten" records including "Stardust", "What a Wonderful World", "When The Saints Go Marching In", "Dream a Little Dream of Me", "Ain't Misbehavin'", "You Rascal You", and "Stompin' at the Savoy".
and from the Wiki on the song itself, he turned it into a jazz standard on his 1938 Decca recording.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:18 AM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
BTW, Louis Armstrong's version of "When The Saints Go Marching In" hit the Top Ten.
Actually, it didn't. Armstrong recorded Saints in 1938, and there were no charts back then.

That Armstrong's Saints hit the top ten comes from the book Pop Memories 1890—1954 by Joel Whitburn. This author has published many books based on Billboard charts, and most of them are fine. This one, however, covers the era before Billboard charts, during which record sales info was kept in the vaults of record companies and not released to the public. For Pop Memories, Whitburn pieced together his own set of charts based on industry publications. The book is notorious among record collectors for its inaccuracies and distortions. In many cases it claims great popularity for records that are so rare today that it's unlikely many were ever sold. In one case, it gives credit to a performer (Billy Murray) who is known by collectors not to have performed on the record in question (Take Me Out to the Ball Game by the Haydn Quartet).

Almost everything you see in print about chart rankings of records from before 1955 comes from this book. I wouldn't trust anything that's based on it.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

This thread needs some more soul/gospel.

"Are You Ready" - Pacific Gas & Electric

"I'll Take You There" - The Staple Singers

Last FM Library Thing
Old 11-08-2019, 01:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lichtman View Post
Actually, it didn't. Armstrong recorded Saints in 1938, and there were no charts back then.

That Armstrong's Saints hit the top ten comes from the book Pop Memories 1890—1954 by Joel Whitburn. This author has published many books based on Billboard charts, and most of them are fine. This one, however, covers the era before Billboard charts, during which record sales info was kept in the vaults of record companies and not released to the public. For Pop Memories, Whitburn pieced together his own set of charts based on industry publications. The book is notorious among record collectors for its inaccuracies and distortions. In many cases it claims great popularity for records that are so rare today that it's unlikely many were ever sold. In one case, it gives credit to a performer (Billy Murray) who is known by collectors not to have performed on the record in question (Take Me Out to the Ball Game by the Haydn Quartet).

Almost everything you see in print about chart rankings of records from before 1955 comes from this book. I wouldn't trust anything that's based on it.
[Johnny Carson]I did not know that![/JC]
Old 11-08-2019, 02:38 PM

Not a charting single, but IMHO notable enough to mention: "After Forever" by Black Sabbath. Opening verse:
Have you ever thought about your soul can it be saved?
Or perhaps you think that when you're dead you just stay in your grave
Is God just a thought within your head or is he a part of you?
Is Christ just a name that you read in a book when you were in school?

Last edited by LLCoolL; 11-08-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolL View Post
Not a charting single, but IMHO notable enough to mention: "After Forever" by Black Sabbath. Opening verse:
Have you ever thought about your soul can it be saved?
Or perhaps you think that when you're dead you just stay in your grave
Is God just a thought within your head or is he a part of you?
Is Christ just a name that you read in a book when you were in school?
If we start veering away from top 40, there are a ton of great ones such as "Satan is Real" by the Louvin Brothers and "The Christian Life" by the Byrds.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
BTW, Louis Armstrong's version of "When The Saints Go Marching In" hit the Top Ten.
Quote:
Although there was a resurgence in 2010, after New Orleans won the Super Bowl. Peaked at #11.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
I have heard John Lennon's "Imagine" in a church. A Mennonite church, of all places. I don't remember if they changed the "and no religion too" line or not.

My grandma, who is ex-Amish, had never known the song before she'd heard it in church and thought it was the most beautiful thing. Bless her.
Did they play "Imagine there's no heaven"?
Old 11-08-2019, 04:38 PM

Has anybody mentioned "People Get Ready" by the Impressions?

Ferlin Husky had a Top 20 hit with "Wings of a Dove" in 1960.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Has anybody mentioned "People Get Ready" by the Impressions?
Yep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
Unless I missed it, nobody’s mentioned “People Get Ready,” which has charted at least twice. The Impressions went to #3 in 1965 and then Jeff Beck and Rod Stewart took it to #5 twenty years later.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:08 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

I don't think any of them hit the top 40, but a whole bunch of Alice Cooper's songs have overtly Christian themes (particularly on "Brutal Planet," "Dragontown," and "The Last Temptation").
Old 11-08-2019, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Has anyone mentioned Let It Be? Explicit reference to Mother Mary.

Quote:
Did they play "Imagine there's no heaven"?
Imagine is a song about the Kingdom of God on earth. There'd be no heaven, because earth would be heaven. There'd be no religion, because its mission would be fulfilled. All the other negatives (no countries, no killing, no possessions, no hunger, no greed) and the positives (peace, unity, brotherhood) are goals of Christ.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast View Post

Imagine is a song about the Kingdom of God on earth. There'd be no heaven, because earth would be heaven. There'd be no religion, because its mission would be fulfilled. All the other negatives (no countries, no killing, no possessions, no hunger, no greed) and the positives (peace, unity, brotherhood) are goals of Christ.
I think Paul says that Mother Mary was inspired by his own mother and is not biblical.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
Am I missing something here? They're a Christian band - all their songs are religious! Some of them might be more subtle than others ('Flood' seems on the more subtle side but it's still got 'Casting down all the waves of sin / And guilt that overthrow me' which is a bit of a dead giveaway)
I was responding the person who said their big hits might not be overtly religious. So, if you are responding to me while dropping the context of the conversation, I guess that's what you're missing.

IMHO, how could references to a 40 day Flood and asking to be lifted up by God not be religious? I'm not religious but I had a little kid's bible and some brief exposure to church as a child and I thought the whole 40 day flood thing was one of the most generally known religious references.

Last edited by actualliberalnotoneofthose; 11-08-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:

"Imagine no religion"
Old 11-08-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
There are so many Marys in the New Testament that I wonder if "Mary" isn't Aramaic for "some random woman."
Old 11-08-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
"Imagine no religion"
Jesus never said anything about religion.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hard disagree. Imagine is a song about a world where there are no supernatural consequences for our actions; "no Hell below us, above us only sky". It's about a world where people are good to each other not because they're afraid of punishment or hoping for reward, but because they know it's the right thing to do. Lennon posits that once all the social pressures telling us to hate this or shun that or fear the outsider are removed, all that is left is love.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Hard disagree. Imagine is a song about a world where there are no supernatural consequences for our actions; "no Hell below us, above us only sky". It's about a world where people are good to each other not because they're afraid of punishment or hoping for reward, but because they know it's the right thing to do. Lennon posits that once all the social pressures telling us to hate this or shun that or fear the outsider are removed, all that is left is love.
Loving because you know it's the right thing to do is the essence of Christ’s message.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:55 PM

Michael W Smith hit #6 with "Place In This World", which features lyrics like:

Quote:
If there are millions
Down on their knees
Among the many
How can you still hear me?
Hear me asking
Where do I belong?
ETA: album released in 1990, song in 1991. The year I graduated from high school.

Last edited by Superdude; 11-08-2019 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Yeah, Right. Alone With Murray Head's Superstar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgato View Post
I think some of the songs from Jesus Christ Superstar hit the charts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
How about Superstar from the musical Jesus Christ, Superstar? It reached #14 on the Billboard singles chart in 1969.
Yes, Superstar charted, but most people do not consider it "Overtly religious." Particuarly if you were around to see the brouhaha over the whole thing.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

I don't know how any of the individual tracks did, but Chant, by the Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo de Silos, peaked at #3 on the album charts.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:34 PM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Although there was a resurgence in 2010, after New Orleans won the Super Bowl. Peaked at #11.
Cite? I can't find The Saints on the Billboard charts in 2010.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:10 PM

Long Black Train by Josh Turner?

According to wikipedia it peaked at 72 on Billboard's Hot 100 and 13 on Billboard's Hot Country Songs for 2003-04 and debuted at 60 on Billboard's Hot Country Singles & Tracks in May 2003 which is apparently yet another Billboard chart
Old 11-09-2019, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Cite? I can't find The Saints on the Billboard charts in 2010.
Louis Armstrong Chart History - scroll down to #7.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
There are so many Marys in the New Testament that I wonder if "Mary" isn't Aramaic for "some random woman."
"Mother Mary" is an explicit reference to Paul McCartney's own mother, named Mary. During the recording of the Beatles' White Album, McCartney had a dream about his mother which left him feeling full of peace. The dream was the inspiration for the song. McCartney himself started that the reference is not religious.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

James Corden (host of The Late Late Show on CBS) has a regular segment called Carpool Karaoke, in which he drives around with a famous musician, while they talk and sing the musician's songs. On one such segment, he drove around Liverpool with Paul McCartney, who pointed out landmarks referenced in Beatles songs, and told the story of the dream of his mother that inspired that lyric.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Louis Armstrong Chart History - scroll down to #7.
Oh, my mistake. Despite having Hot 100 at the top, that's not actually the Hot 100.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:31 PM

"Down in the River to Pray" sung by Alison Krauss (pllus chorus), used in the movie "Oh, Brother Where Art Thou"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSif77IVQdY
Old 11-11-2019, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
How about "From a Distance" as performed by Bette Midler, which peaked at #2 on the US Hot 100 and #1 on the US Adult Contemporary charts. (Written by Julie Gold; first recorded by Nancy Griffith.)
"From a distance" is high on my list of songs that people don't listen to the lyrics of. It's pretty much the exact opposite of everything that I learned in church - as the message of the song is "God isn't paying attention and doesn't give a shit."
Old 11-11-2019, 07:37 PM
Horrified Onlooker

"Honey" Bobby Goldsboro

"One day while I was not at home
While she was there and all alone
The angels came
Now all I have is memories of Honey"

I'd say that kidnapping/murdering angels is overtly religious.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Yes, Superstar charted, but most people do not consider it "Overtly religious." Particuarly if you were around to see the brouhaha over the whole thing.
??? As I recall, everyone saw it as explicitly religious. Some people liked that, some people didn't care, and some people it made sick and they wrote insulting satirical parodies. But everybody knew it was explicitly religious.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
"Honey" Bobby Goldsboro

The angels came

Without knowing anything else about that song, it sounds like she (presumably Honey) died while alone.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:45 PM

Swing Low, Sweet Chariot.

I don't know how to get official chart positions, but that's been top 20 a couple of times?
Old 11-11-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Without knowing anything else about that song, it sounds like she (presumably Honey) died while alone.
She didn't die. She got recruited to play baseball in California.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:25 AM
Charter Member

Neil Diamond had Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show hit #22 in 1969.

He brought religion back to the charts in 1970 with He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother, which got up to #20.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Louis Armstrong - "When the Saints Go Marching In."

Does that count?
And though not overtly religious, his What a Wonderful World is pretty much an anthem for deists.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:55 AM

Poison's Something to Believe In.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:05 AM

Here's a genuine "modern day spiritual" (from 1972), inspired by Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYvmpadPu18

Styx released this the following year. Flip the LP over and you get their classic "Plexiglass Toilet." Skip the first 1:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enaXYTUGJFY
Old 11-12-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
James Corden (host of The Late Late Show on CBS) has a regular segment called Carpool Karaoke, in which he drives around with a famous musician, while they talk and sing the musician's songs. On one such segment, he drove around Liverpool with Paul McCartney, who pointed out landmarks referenced in Beatles songs, and told the story of the dream of his mother that inspired that lyric.
They both won an Emmy for that episode.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:53 AM

Honey

Quote:
"Honey" Bobby Goldsboro

The angels came

Thanks for reminding of a seriously creepy song. It just sets my teeth on edge.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
??? As I recall, everyone saw it as explicitly religious. Some people liked that, some people didn't care, and some people it made sick and they wrote insulting satirical parodies. But everybody knew it was explicitly religious.
And some people protested at the Broadway opening of the show and even held parties to burn the LP. JCS was considered blasphemous, as it present Jesus as "just a man" and not as the son of God. The show ends with the crucifixion, and does not have the resurrection of Jesus at all, while the song Superstar is sung by Judas after his death.

It was also an extremely hard rocking record, and all the protestors knew that rock was the devil's music. And would probably fade in two years.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
"Honey" Bobby Goldsboro

The angels came

Or the singer is feeling guilty about not getting help for her major depression in time but has yet to pass the stage where he puts the blame on "angels".
Old 11-12-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

I recall an interview with the song writer Bobby Russell who said Honey was crying because she found out she was dying. But yeah, the song could be interpreted that Honey was a manic depressive who commuted suicide.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 11-12-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:25 PM

Eve of Destruction

Barry McGuire added a verse that God is the answer. It's on his Seeds album.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-12-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

"Nobody's Fault But Mine" - Led Zeppelin
This wasn't a single but it's probably the best known cut off their Presence album.

Also, for comparison, here's the original version by Blind Willie Johnson.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 11-12-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
King's X and Creed had some song that would fit.
Kings's X say they're not a Christian band, so I guess you'll have to be more specific about that one.