Old 11-09-2019, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Actors/actresses that you consistently fail to recognize

There have been lots of ads out for the Stephen King movie "Doctor Sleep". And every time I see one, I think that the guy in the trailer looks really familiar but I can't quite place him. So I finally looked the movie up on IMDB and, holy crap, it's Ewan MacGregor.

Now, there is absolutely no reason I should not recognize Ewan MacGregor. I've seen plenty of his movies, watched both seasons of his motorcycle documentary... but this is at least the second time in recent memory that I've completely failed to recognize him in something. (The other being the last season of "Fargo".)

Oddly enough, I understand a lot of people have this problem with Gary Oldman, but I'm usually pretty good at picking him out.

I am NOT asking about actors or actresses that you confuse with someone else. I'm asking about those that for some reason you just don't recognize at all, even when you probably should.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:15 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

It happens to me all the time, but for the life of me, I can't think of a specific example right now. I'm terrible when it comes to placing faces.

On the other hand, if I hear a voice from another room, I can usually nail the speaker. It's a gift.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:50 PM

Melissa Gilbert.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:52 PM

Ryan Gosling. I've seen him in La La Land and Blade Runner 2055, but can't put a face to the name at all, at all.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:56 PM

Jude Law.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

I was about to mention Oldman. He does a great job with his roles, but none of them look the slightest bit like each other.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
Ryan Gosling. I've seen him in La La Land and Blade Runner 2055, but can't put a face to the name at all, at all.
Yes! He's definitely another one that I've seen in several movies, but never clicks until later and then oh that was Ryan Gosling!
Old 11-09-2019, 02:44 PM
SD Curator of Critters

I recently saw Black Mass, which I somehow had missed, on a plane. I kept thinking that the lead actor, who looked naggingly familiar but who I couldn't exactly place, was very good. I was embarrassed at the end to realize it was Johhny Depp. Not only his appearance was different, but his entire demeanor was different from his typical role (of he has a typical role).
Old 11-09-2019, 03:16 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
I recently saw Black Mass, which I somehow had missed, on a plane. I kept thinking that the lead actor, who looked naggingly familiar but who I couldn't exactly place, was very good. I was embarrassed at the end to realize it was Johhny Depp. Not only his appearance was different, but his entire demeanor was different from his typical role (of he has a typical role).
I came here to post about Johnny Depp, but in the movie 'Tusk'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjvAhcQ0rlo
Old 11-09-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
It happens to me all the time, but for the life of me, I can't think of a specific example right now. I'm terrible when it comes to placing faces.

On the other hand, if I hear a voice from another room, I can usually nail the speaker. It's a gift.
My sister was watching "Hail, Caesar" in the other room last night, and she said "I never knew that was her!" I said "Frances McDormand?"

Because I heard the voice and immediately knew it was her. And it was.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

I used to do it all the time with both Billy Crudup and Sam Rockwell. Half way through a movie that I wasn't aware they were in I would suddenly realise who was playing, say Charley Ford or Arch Cummings.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:31 PM

Christian Bale
Old 11-10-2019, 11:46 PM

Sam Rockwell is usually pretty hard for me to recognize. He and Oldman are basically the patron saints of this.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:00 AM

I remember reading that Gary Oldman was going to be in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and thought "Oh, cool, I wonder what character he's going to be... oh."
Old 11-11-2019, 01:30 AM

Reading that just now I couldn't remember who Gary Oldman HAD been in the Potterverse, so I went and looked him up on IMDB. From the photo ..."oh, right, that's Remus Lup...no, wait a minute!!"
Old 11-11-2019, 11:53 AM

I don't know why but Vincent D'Onofrio always seems to confuse me.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

All of them!

I have a pretty bad case of face blindness, and it makes watching movies a challenge.
All it takes is a scene change with new outfits for me to not know who the good guys are and who the bad guys are.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:41 PM

Armie Hammer has a non-face

MiM
Old 11-12-2019, 10:41 AM

There are a lot of them for me. I see someone on a show and know I've seen them before on something. I can't come up with a name or what else they were in. Thank goodness for IMDb or it would haunt me forever. I reference it nightly.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
Proof That Vincent D'Onofrio Is A Shape-Shifter
Old 11-12-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
In the world I inhabit, Vincent D’Onofrio IS Private Pyle and he died many years ago in a latrine along with R. Lee Emery (whom I have never failed to recognize), so I never recognize him in any other role except his TV gig on Law and Order where there were constant reminders on at least a half dozen networks.

Even when I know he is playing a role, I tend to not recognize him. This was most recently demonstrated when I was watching the remake of The Magnificent Seven and I wondered who was playing the character who is obviously based upon my (still living) uncle. After looking it up on IMDb, I was surprised to recall that I had known it was D’Onofrio from when the movie was first released and still didn’t recognize him.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:27 PM

Vincent D’Onofrio was Thor on Adventures in Babysitting??? It's going to take some time to process that.

I was watching Criminal Minds and didn't recognize one of the characters. Later found out it was René Auberjonois. To me he's Clayton on Benson.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:26 AM

Huh. Auberjonois is one actor I never fail to recognize.

Young, old, covered in prosthetics...the shape of his face is obvious to me.

Fr Mulcahy, Clayton Endicott III, Odo...couldn't fail to recognize him.

[Edit - also the sound of his voice - I immediately pegged Mr House as him, as well.]

Last edited by Kamino Neko; 11-13-2019 at 01:27 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post

[Edit - also the sound of his voice - I immediately pegged Mr House as him, as well.]
I confess... I am bad at recognizing actors. Frequently I will be watching something, go to IMDB to look something up and see that one of the actors was someone I knew. So, my answer to the question is "almost everybody".
Old 11-13-2019, 09:10 AM

Gary Oldman is my top pick for actors who can melt into their parts. I think he took over for Robert Duval.

Tilda Swinton can be shockingly unrecognizable (Trainwreck).
Old 11-13-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor7flat5 View Post
All of them!

I have a pretty bad case of face blindness, and it makes watching movies a challenge.
All it takes is a scene change with new outfits for me to not know who the good guys are and who the bad guys are.
Mine is milder but I really tend not to recognize faces unless it 'sticks'. Michael Ironside sticks. Ryan Gosling doesn't. Nor does Tim Roth. Or Gary Oldman.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:59 AM

I'll put in a vote for Arlene Martel. I recognize her now, but I still remember looking her up on IMDb once and being surprised how many things I'd seen her in without recognizing her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post

Yep, instantly recognizable. I even remember him from guest roles on The Rockford Files, and The Bob Newhart Show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
Mine is milder but I really tend not to recognize faces unless it 'sticks'. Michael Ironside sticks. Ryan Gosling doesn't. Nor does Tim Roth. Or Gary Oldman.
I tend to get Roth and Oldman mixed up. The first time I ever saw either of them was in the same movie, and they even got themselves mixed up.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I was about to mention Oldman. He does a great job with his roles, but none of them look the slightest bit like each other.
I came across a photo once of Gary Oldman head shots in a bunch of roles, and no two looked alike. They could have been different people. Below that was a montage of Jason Statham head shots in a bunch of roles, and they're all basically identical. Wish I'd kept it.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:09 PM

Pretty much anyone under 40.

I don't watch awards shows, but I like to look at the Red Carpet slideshows the next day. I just looked at one recently with about 40 people in it, and I didn't recognize one single person! I stand in the checkout line at the grocery store and look at the magazine covers-- even People, a magazine I used to love!-- and I have no idea who those people are. Well, I recognize the British Royal family, but that's about it.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:26 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I would really like to whip whoever made that page with a mouse cord until they figure out how to resize a picture without distorting its proportions.