Old 10-21-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Why would the sex handcuff reveal the real Bad Janet?

I assume because they were described as being magnetic.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:36 PM

Yes, and magnets basically make Janets drunk so she couldn't keep up the masquerade any longer.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:19 PM

I had forgotten that detail until it was relevant...even though Derek's line when introducing the magnetic cuffs should have been a reminder.

Gotta say, Bad Janet is a surprisingly good actress to have fooled them all until she gave Jason (still love that) the clue that tipped him off.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

I not only forgot it; I still don't remember it now that it's been brought to my attention.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavera View Post
Vicky's just not that good an actress, no way she'd fool Eleanor for long. A hyperevolved Bad Janet nearly got away with it though. I imagine Vicky will have some use against Jason in a future episode though.
I think having Michael turn out to be Vicky-in-a-Michael suit is not only unbelievable in-universe, for the reason you've stated, but also unworkable in the context of having a dramatic show arc. Michael's heart-to-heart talks with Eleanor are sort of the core of the show. Michael has grown and developed as a person since Season One, and it's that growth that lets him have this effect on Eleanor, making her a better person too. If you have to rewind and say that it was really Vicky doing those interactions, then you let the air out of the whole bounce castle. You also lose Michael's continued growth over the course of the time that he's effectively off screen.

I expect that the Michael suit will show up in the next episode, though, in some sort of scene where Jason has to distinguish between real Michael and suit Michael. I also expect that the show will come up with some clever way to do this that we haven't seen a hundred times before.

Here's my question, which I expect will be glossed over in the show (and I don't mind if they do, frankly): Without a Good Janet or even a Michael, who's been known to do some supernatural stuff, how are Tahani and Eleanor supposed to keep the experiment going? They can't manifest shrimp on demand now, right? Unless they either keep using Bad Janet under duress, or perhaps bring in Derek. Which could be hilarious, now that I think about it.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:50 PM

My question is, who's actually running the Janet babies? Was that just a lie from Bad Janet that she had to run them? Or did Good Janet ever say she was running them too?

Side note: I want to see how Bad Janet reacts when you try and reboot her. Does she plead for her life or just call you a butt munch? And what about Neutral Janet?
Old 10-22-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebb View Post
I expect that the Michael suit will show up in the next episode, though, in some sort of scene where Jason has to distinguish between real Michael and suit Michael. I also expect that the show will come up with some clever way to do this that we haven't seen a hundred times before.
My WAG: the Bad Place will set this up as a major strategy to foil Jason at some point. Jason will overcome their strategy through the power of obliviousness: his supernatural shoulder-shrug at their antics, his willingness to be cool with not knowing which Michael is real, will render their gambit irrelevant.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebb View Post
Here's my question, which I expect will be glossed over in the show (and I don't mind if they do, frankly): Without a Good Janet or even a Michael, who's been known to do some supernatural stuff, how are Tahani and Eleanor supposed to keep the experiment going? They can't manifest shrimp on demand now, right? Unless they either keep using Bad Janet under duress, or perhaps bring in Derek. Which could be hilarious, now that I think about it.
I was wondering the same thing - either they have a problem or the whole "Janet has to run everything" story was a lie. Also - can Janets be de-marbleized?

BTW, I keep wondering whether we're going to ever get a callback to Chidi recommending to Dax Sheppard's character in The Bad Place that they torture people with books. IIRC they moved off that quickly but the way this show goes I wouldn't be surprised.

Last edited by Gyrate; 10-23-2019 at 05:15 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:11 PM

Episode 4:Employee of the Bearimy

I guess we don't have to worry about the Michael suit, at least for a few months...
Old 10-25-2019, 08:24 PM

This was probably my favourite episode so far of the season, thanks in no small part to Jason Mantzoukas/Derek. Listening to the podcast, apparently there were some even dirtier adlibs of his that had to be left on the cutting room floor.

I was happy that the Michael we've been watching really was the real 'Michael' - as stated above, it would have been too cynical to ruin the character development that has happened, just for the sake of a twist.

Last edited by Junior Spaceman; 10-25-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:17 AM

While on the handcar with Jason, Michael mentions having restored all of the other’s (Eleanor and Tahani) afterlife memories. Other than the brief memory replay on earth with Eleanor (which allowed her to recognize demons when they entered the bar in Canada), has this been mentioned before?
Old 10-26-2019, 10:29 AM

Wow, you guys are really into this. I don't pay that much attention to detail with shows that make sense
Old 10-26-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Other than the brief memory replay on earth with Eleanor (which allowed her to recognize demons when they entered the bar in Canada), has this been mentioned before?
Nope.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:51 PM

Well, it was amusing to see the Janet-babies breakdown. And I loved that nobody at DemonCon grasped that it wasn't all just part of the show. Just wear is Mindy St Claire in all this? The neighborhood is literally in her backyard and the gang is using her house as a home base.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2019, 11:01 PM

She's in the bath, masturbating. Constantly.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:23 PM

Did the sign to the Bad Place say "Population: Your Mom"? It went by rather quickly.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Did the sign to the Bad Place say "Population: Your Mom"? It went by rather quickly.
I stopped and went back, and indeed it did.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:23 PM

Well, that is where your mother knits socks.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
While Michael and Jason were literally going to hell in a handcart...
Old 11-02-2019, 11:02 AM

Episode 6: A Chip Driver Mystery

Were we, the audience, supposed to be assuming that they were going to marble Bad Janet, because the thought never occurred to me, even though the last scenes play off as though they're confounding audience expectations as well as BJ's?

My guess is that Brent is indeed irredeemable, but the case will be made and eventually accepted, that although some humans are complete arseholes and can't be changed it's still unfair that 100% of humans are sent to Bad Place, (and probably that even jerks like Brent don't deserve penis flattening, penis reinflation, penis reflattening and mouth bees.)

Last edited by Calavera; 11-02-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:44 PM

I don't know, I think they made some progress with Brent - not that he's actually improved, but I think they got some insight into why he's such an insufferable ash-hole. Insight into why doesn't excuse the fact that he's a whiny, entitled jerk (and I love that Simone didn't back down one inch when Eleanor asked her to make nice - her "Why, here in the Good Place, am I still being expected to deal with this?" was perfect), but how proud he was of accomplishing something (even if was the shittiest-ever ripoff of Tom Clancy's oeuvre, and even if he couldn't bring himself to believe how shitty it was) makes me think that's actually the first time he ever accomplished anything on his own. Even all his golf in the experiment was with the assistance filter on, and all his time on earth, he had a pretty good assistance filter too. And that angry, denied-child reaction...I think Brent knows, deep down, that Simone was right. I don't think he's going to actually apologise or anything...but I think he'll be slightly less shitty. A tiny bit.

And Bad Janet was actually engaging with Michael, not just rolling her eyes and farting. That plus Glenn having doubts - I think they might miss with Brent (though I don't recall there being any minimum target for improvement, so a teeny tiny bit better might actually be enough), but they improved a demon and a Bad Janet in six months. Between the Team Cockroach improving, Michael improving, some demons getting better and some humans...cockroaches for the win.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

What I want to know is: What really is/is in the book Michael handed to Bad Janet at the very end? It felt like the point of the episode was to set up that handoff.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:57 PM

I think the book is exactly what Michael said it was; it doesn't seem like it's a trick or anything. Bad Janet really does seem to have evolved. If nothing else she's self-aware now and probably it's going to accept being a tool of Shawn's.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:18 AM

What I've been noticing is that not only does Simone not seem to be improving - her valid complaints about Brent's book and behavior notwithstanding, she doesn't come across as a particularly nice person - but Chidi is barely progressing apart from his brief dancing session with Jason.

That said, I actually thought him punching Brent was a positive sign - it's the first time we've seen him (post-reboot) not be a complete weenie about something physical and challenging.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
What I've been noticing is that not only does Simone not seem to be improving - her valid complaints about Brent's book and behavior notwithstanding, she doesn't come across as a particularly nice person - but Chidi is barely progressing apart from his brief dancing session with Jason.

That said, I actually thought him punching Brent was a positive sign - it's the first time we've seen him (post-reboot) not be a complete weenie about something physical and challenging.
Those are good complos.

Plot and character developments aside, I found this to be the funniest episode of the season:
Starting with Bad Janet's gas, then the intro, then the completion of Bad Janet's gas. Jason's nickname (The Defendant) and the store front sign that said "The Good Plates."
Tahani being described as having "an accent like the Queen of England but without all the old gross face parts."

I was laughing the entire time!
Old 11-04-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SykoSkotty View Post
Plot and character developments aside, I found this to be the funniest episode of the season:
I dunno. I found the last one funnier.

Quote:
Jason's nickname (The Defendant)
Not as funny as:

Jason: "Listen, Michael, it's okay to feel or plead guilty about bad things you used to do."

Quote:
Tahani being described as having "an accent like the Queen of England but without all the old gross face parts."
Not as funny as:

Tahani: "Iíd never serve finger-sandwiches at a lake house. I mean, what am I, Welsh?"
Eleanor: "Are you?? I donít know. NoÖ right?"
Old 11-04-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
I think the book is exactly what Michael said it was; it doesn't seem like it's a trick or anything. Bad Janet really does seem to have evolved. If nothing else she's self-aware now and probably it's going to accept being a tool of Shawn's.
This is the Bad Janet that was rebooted a jillion times, not a factory stock model. Maybe she (like Good Place Janet) has developed emotions and empathy?

I'm starting to think that the real purpose of the judge's experiment is to see if demons can improve - that Michael wasn't just a fluke.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:56 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

That would be an interesting twist.

Honestly, the show has twisted so much that I'm halfway - or more - expecting something to pop up that indicates the entire thing has been an experiment on the afterlife itself. Maybe the judge? Someone else? It's hard for me to believe that the show would introduce a new, omnipotent character this late in the game. But there's a lot of moving parts that are still moving unpredictably, here.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:57 PM

I just figured out how the show will end. Ted Danson will wake up in bed, turn on the light. Shelley Long will sit up and Ted will say, "Diane, I just had the craziest dream..."

Sorry to ruin it for the rest of you.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:47 AM

Something really bugged me about Eleanor's "hottest employee of the week" scheme. Can you imagine an employer doing that right here and now?

Especially since Brent (rightly) gets skewered over his sexist attitude in the same episode. I think the writers are too smart for this to be an oversight.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyClueless View Post
Something really bugged me about Eleanor's "hottest employee of the week" scheme. Can you imagine an employer doing that right here and now?

Especially since Brent (rightly) gets skewered over his sexist attitude in the same episode. I think the writers are too smart for this to be an oversight.
It would have played better if it was 90-95% Eleanor with maybe a token Janet. The entire scheme seems to exist as a slowburn joke so Eleanor can make the crack about Michael doing more squats, which works when all we see is the payoff but wouldn't really be worth the aggravation caused in-universe.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:06 AM

It's the sort of thing you can get away with in a small, close-knit group but it wasn't ideal. OTOH watching Tahani desperately wanting to win while pretending not to was fun.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:06 PM

I wonder what Glenn is up to? Nobody mentioned him although he presumably degooed 3 months ago, he wasn't ever hottest saviour of the week, and he wasn't shown to be involved in any scheme. Presumably he can't go back to Shawn though.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I wonder what Glenn is up to? Nobody mentioned him although he presumably degooed 3 months ago, he wasn't ever hottest saviour of the week, and he wasn't shown to be involved in any scheme. Presumably he can't go back to Shawn though.
Didn't they take him back to the Bad Place?
Old 11-05-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Didn't they take him back to the Bad Place?
Ah yes, I remember in "Employee of the Bearimy" Glenn communicating with them, (indecipherable to us but J+M seemed to understand), thinking that he was helping them infiltrate and not thinking more about it. Just checked and he's not there on the way back, so they must have left him there. Poor Glenn
Old 11-05-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Ah yes, I remember in "Employee of the Bearimy" Glenn communicating with them, (indecipherable to us but J+M seemed to understand), thinking that he was helping them infiltrate and not thinking more about it. Just checked and he's not there on the way back, so they must have left him there. Poor Glenn
Maybe he's still just a ball of tongues or a social media CEO...
Old 11-06-2019, 09:21 AM

Do we know whether Glenn genuinely believed the story he was telling about Michael being fake, or was he part of a whole separate sabotage scheme to undermine trust in Michael?
Old 11-08-2019, 07:37 AM

Episode 7: Help is other people.

Well the experiment is over, and assuming the rules were on the level it seems clear that Brent, John and Simone failed. Chidi did good because Chidi always does good, dunno where that puts him on pass/fail spectrum.

Obviously this show was never about B, J and S; it's about our main 6. We'll see what Gen makes of this dog's breakfast but it'll be our heroes who somehow turn it around.

Whatever Brent was about to say, I doubt it was a heartfelt apology, and even if it was it's way too little way too late. ("I am so so sor..." "...e in my head from listening to you whine."
Old 11-08-2019, 05:06 PM

Simone’s attitude with Brent in the pit surprised me.

I’m guessing that Bad Janet is a Chekhov’s Janet somehow.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Iím guessing that Bad Janet is a Chekhovís Janet somehow.
Hyper-evolved Bad Janet with the manifesto is going to be key. Maybe evolved Bad Janet and evolved Good Janet merge into one super-Janet with the solution.

Of course, I am batting about .000 on predictions with this show so the manifesto will be a throwaway bit in the next episode...
Old 11-09-2019, 12:03 AM

My guess is that the experiment will fail because of Simone. Remember, the point of the experiment was to see if people could improve, not that they could become good per se. Over the course of the experiment Chidi has become more decisive, John has cut down on his gossiping, Brent just apologised for what I assume is the first time ever, but Simone has stayed exactly the same; stubborn, bull-headed, and constitutionally incapable of admitting she could ever possibly be wrong about anything.

It would be quite ironic if the character Eleanor assumed was already good enough not to worry about turned out to damn all humanity to the bad place.

Sidebar: Simone is by far my least favourite character for that reason. All the other characters think she’s awesome, but she’s actually a total asshole. While I don’t personally know and Johns or Brents, I know about half a dozen Simones and they fucking suck.

Last edited by Unreconstructed Man; 11-09-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

I wonder if Chidi will have his memories restored and be back with the team again.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
I wonder if Chidi will have his memories restored and be back with the team again.
I would be surprised if they didn't; now he's not a lab rat, he's a cockroach.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:30 AM

Wild guess time! The experiment has to be re-run because the accountant has been with Mindy St. Claire this whole time- and he know a lot about weird sex stuff...
Old 11-09-2019, 01:12 PM

I agree that Simone is the only one who showed zero improvement. I think Brent really was about to sincerely apologize to Chidi. It was obvious his delusion that he was a good person shattered. Did Gen specify if all 4 subjects had to improve for the experiment to me a success? I'm curious where exactly John and Simone went, but I guess it doesn't matter since presumably ther froze too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2019, 02:30 PM

Hmmm. Maybe the where they went ends up being important? Outside of town and somehow outside of being frozen and somehow eventually doing something that proves they have become better people after all? Not sure what it could be though. Maybe they accidentally end up hiding out in the Bad Place and rescue the whole gang from there at risk to themselves? (With Bad Janet somehow playing a part.)

In any case given that there are, I think, six more episodes, there is a lot more to happen post experiment's end.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

My WAG is that none of this is what it seems, and that there will be a big reveal at some point. Best guess: Heaven and hell were broken. Demons and Angels conspired to send everyone to the Bad Place, and all of what we've seen was a setup to solve the problem.

I also half think there is more to Janet than we think. She's omnipotent and immortal - She's basically God. She even has her own space/dimension that no one else can access.

Maybe God somehow got turned into the Janets and had his sentience removed, and this whole thing has been a way to restore the Janets/God and fix what's broken.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post

Sidebar: Simone is by far my least favourite character for that reason. All the other characters think sheís awesome, but sheís actually a total asshole. While I donít personally know and Johns or Brents, I know about half a dozen Simones and they fucking suck.
Oh I hate her too! I mean, I dislike the other two, but I think maybe we're supposed to like her a little and I think she's just as bad as the other two. And she doesn't have the charm and eventual warmth of Tahani and Jason of S1.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:41 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
I think Brent really was about to sincerely apologize to Chidi. It was obvious his delusion that he was a good person shattered.
I gotta admit. Watching that I found myself cheering and hoping for Brent right there at the end. You can do this!

Sort of like Steve in Stranger things in his big moment in S3. C'mon man! Just a little further!
Old 11-11-2019, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Hmmm. Maybe the where they went ends up being important?
I would have thought so. They're too obvious a loose end. My WAG is that they went off to talk to Mindy who has spilled the beans about the whole situation.

Quote:
In any case given that there are, I think, six more episodes, there is a lot more to happen post experiment's end.
I'm confused by this. Wikipedia is saying it's a 14-episode season but both the Wiki page and Netflix are only showing two more episodes to come (for a total of nine).