Old 08-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Vile Concoctions-Soda Division

What is the worst soft drink you've ever tried?
For me, it would have to be Orbitz. I tried both the lemon and the raspberry flavors, and both were equally disgusting. The lemon smelled like Lemon Pledge and had the consistency of Drain-O. Floating in this crap were hundreds of little colored snot balls that made you want to gag as they entered your mouth. The first thing I did after taking the first sip was to wash balls out of my mouth with a glass of water.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
The first thing I did after taking the first sip was to wash balls out of my mouth with a glass of water.
Sounds like my Saturday night...

Joe
Old 08-23-2011, 11:31 AM

I think they got Rosie O'Donnell to try it on her show. Bad move. She didn't like it.

Wait a second! They still MAKE that stuff? Are you sure you didn't drink decade old soda?

Last edited by sachertorte; 08-23-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:35 AM

Yuck. Soft drinks aren't supposed to have a texture.

I know a lot of people are addicted to it but I think Diet Coke is by far the most unsettling taste out there. I love Coke Classic but the Diet bears no resemblance for me.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:07 PM

I've been having trouble coming up with an actual answer to this. I seem to recall one of the World of Warcraft-themed Mountain Dews - the red one, I think - being extraordinarily sweet, almost to unbearability. If you consider energy drinks to be "soft drinks," the grape and orange versions of Rock Star are awful.

Joe
Old 08-23-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachertorte View Post
I think they got Rosie O'Donnell to try it on her show. Bad move. She didn't like it.

Wait a second! They still MAKE that stuff? Are you sure you didn't drink decade old soda?
Depends when he tried it. Where I worked, we sold Orbitz for about a month. I honestly don't remember if I tried it, and if I did, I have no strong feelings on it.

As to the OP's question, I just thought of a celery-flavored soda I had in NJ - Cel-Ray, maybe? Barforama.

Joe
Old 08-23-2011, 12:54 PM

Moxie is disgusting. It's like predigested black licorice.

Every non-standard flavor of Mountain - sorry, Mtn - Dew has tasted like ass.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:04 PM

I think I got Orbitz once as a kid, at the mini golf place. It was fun and tasted good enough, I suppose.

Big Red is really disgusting. Tastes like Robitussin.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:09 PM

Heh, I actually liked orbitz when I was a kid. Every few years though I'll try moxie again, thinking perhaps something has changed. NOPE. It's like molasses flavored soda. I'm convinced people who like it are only pretending.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:30 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverly_%28drink%29

Coca-Cola produces a drink called Beverly which is supposedly sold in Italy. I tried it at Epcot in Disney World, Orlando back in 2000. It's horrible. Easily the worst soft drink I have ever had.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:35 PM

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...kJ3FPZDNZ2k61A
My vote would have to been with this one.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:48 PM

The two that come to mind are flavours I've only seen in Quebec. Both were mainstream enough that they could be found in President's Choice (store brand) 2L bottles.

Nectar - ultra sweet tooti-fruiti flavour. Like drinking a big ol'glass of Juicy Fruit extract.

Spruce Beer - Picture the goodness of ginger beer but instead of ginger you have a definite pine sap taste. Highly carbonated sweetened pine-sol.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odesio View Post

Coca-Cola produces a drink called Beverly which is supposedly sold in Italy. I tried it at Epcot in Disney World, Orlando back in 2000. It's horrible. Easily the worst soft drink I have ever had.
I had it there too and although it was a rather bracing experience, I still liked Beverly better than Moxie.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 08-23-2011, 02:11 PM

Beverly isn't so bad. I wouldn't drink a whole cup of it, but a small serving is interesting enough.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
I had it there too and although it was a rather bracing experience, I still liked Beverly better than Moxie.
There are no easy answers in life, my friend. I've had Moxie as well and I'd be hard pressed to say which of the two drinks was the worst.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:04 PM

I'll go with plain ol' ginger beer (I think it was Grace brand that I tried).
Old 08-23-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Tried that at the Coke HQ tour in Atlanta - absolutely vile.

Joe
Old 08-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Ginger Beer
Old 08-23-2011, 06:37 PM

I'm aware that Coke Blak (which tasted like a mix of Nescafe canned coffee and Diet Coke) had fans. I still don't understand how.

It's one of the only beverages I've ever bought and been unable to finish, despite being thirsty.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:48 PM

Mountain Dew. I mean seriously, how does anybody drink that?

But then, I like Moxie. . .
Old 08-23-2011, 07:18 PM

I like both Moxie and Cel-Ray (and need to find a source for the former; the midwest is bereft of regular Moxie sources). I now need to find and try some spruce beer... I like ginger, root, and birch beers, so might as well try another "beer."

Vanilla-flavored sodas gross me out; both plain vanilla and cream sodas. Way too cloyingly sweet. The various attempts to capture floats in a bottle (A&W Float, Sunkist Float, Barq's Floatz) are also pretty bad; the first two eschew carbon dioxide for nitrous oxide and include cream and thickeners for a nasty mouthfeel, the last overdid the vanilla cream taste. Though, frankly, plain Barq's is pretty gross, too, with way too strong of an anise flavor.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Mountain Dew Baja Blast flavor, which I tried at a Taco Bell some five years ago was probably the worst I've tried.

Because I haven't tried them I don't get to nominate them, but I would like to call attention to the Jones Soda Drinkable Thanksgiving Dinner from 2004:
Quote:
In 2004, it offered a complete, drinkable Thanksgiving dinner—five bottles—as a box set for $16. Turkey & Gravy was brought back, and the rest of the flavors were unique to this offering: Green Bean Casserole, Cranberry, Mashed Potatoes with Butter, and Fruitcake.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:56 PM

I was at a weekend academic competition last spring where there was a big promotion for Sun Drop. It's a new citrus-flavored soda made by, IIRC, the Dr Pepper company. They were giving cans of the stuff away free, so I got one to give it a try. Nasty stuff. I took two swigs of it--the second just to confirm my first impression about how bad it was--and tossed the rest away.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:09 PM

Sun Drop isn't new. It's been around since the 40s. I'm drinking a bottle of it right now, and it's delicious.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
I was at a weekend academic competition last spring where there was a big promotion for Sun Drop. It's a new citrus-flavored soda made by, IIRC, the Dr Pepper company. They were giving cans of the stuff away free, so I got one to give it a try. Nasty stuff. I took two swigs of it--the second just to confirm my first impression about how bad it was--and tossed the rest away.
It's getting a big national push now, but it's been around for 80 years or so. Like Mountain Dew, it was a southern drink, and reminds me a lot of how MD used to taste. Very mellow taste and feel, which belies the fact that it's got even more caffeine than its more popular competitor.

If I need a flat-tasting citrus soda, I go with Ski, which remains a regional brand.

Last edited by Student Driver; 08-23-2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Just to add: scooped by Hades!
Old 08-23-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
Sun Drop isn't new. It's been around since the 40s. I'm drinking a bottle of it right now, and it's delicious.
Sun•Drop's recently been bought by Dr. Pepper, so people think it's new. But it's been brewed by a little bottler in Sauk City, WI for ages.

It's like a lighter, crisper Mtn. Dew (and similarly caffeinated).

I love finding local bevs like that. Just love "Ale-8-One" from Kentucky (wish the shipping didn't cost twice as much as a six pack online!).

But Moxie?
Brought a six back from Maine and after looking up my worst enemies to get them to try it (which has taken decades), I've still got a can left. Gross.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:46 PM

Jones Soda's Thanksgiving pack.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Coward View Post
The two that come to mind are flavours Spruce Beer - Picture the goodness of ginger beer but instead of ginger you have a definite pine sap taste. Highly carbonated sweetened pine-sol.
Eeeew! That's gotta be one of the more disgusting descriptions I've read... bleh. I was gonna say I thought Crystal Pepsi was pretty revolting but I have a feeling it's tame compared to this!
Old 08-23-2011, 10:11 PM

Beverly at Epcot Center in Orlando for me also. Close behind is just about any diet soda. For me it's got to be sugar or nothing.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:37 PM

Anyone from England remember Panda Pops? The disgusting drinks that you always seemed to find from ice cream vans, and nowhere else, for about 5p? It would be 25 or 30 years ago when I was young enough to have them, but I remember them being undrinkable when I was a kid.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:00 PM

My half-brother is fond of Diet Dr Pepper because it is impossible to distinguish it from regular Dr Pepper.

I don't have the heart to tell him regular Dr Pepper sucks.

Last edited by Two Many Cats; 08-23-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Mountain Dew Baja Blast flavor, which I tried at a Taco Bell some five years ago was probably the worst I've tried.

Because I haven't tried them I don't get to nominate them, but I would like to call attention to the Jones Soda Drinkable Thanksgiving Dinner from 2004:

I've tried them and while they're decidedly odd they're nowhere near as vile as Moxie.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:21 AM

Back in the 80's I worked at an independent grocery store in Evanston. (yes, it was Asbury St. Market, Eva Luna).

They had a generic brand my mind is protecting me from remembering. The flavor unfortunately will stay with me till my dying day.

Diet Peanut Butter Fudge Cola.

It was three bad sodas in one. You had horrible generic diet soda, vile diet fudge soda with hints of petroleum, and unspeakably bad diet Peanut Butter soda with a oily aftertaste that no amount of Listerine or sulfuric acid could erase. I seriously gargled with a mixture of baking soda and vinegar hoping the same chemical reaction that cut though clogged drains would help. All it did was go up my nose and leave a stinging residue of artificial peanut butter in my nose.

My co workers were EXTREMELY amused by this...bastards one and all.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:53 AM

All these years later I remember the vileness that was Diet Pomac. Yuck!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:56 AM
Suspended

Moxie is pretty awful-I drank a can about 10 years ago-that was enough. Another weird concoction marketed by Coca-Cola (in Asia I think) is a grafruit-flavored soad-awful.
I also think that Dr. Brown's Celery Soda (NYC) is pretty vile.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swords to Plowshares View Post
Big Red is really disgusting. Tastes like Robitussin.
It's everywhere around here, too. I usually say that it tastes like drinking a gumball.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:

This is the one and only soft drink that has ever horrified me. They must keep it there just so they can laugh at the looks on people's faces when they try it.

When I worked at a coffee shop I thought it would be clever to make an espresso soda, so I mixed vanilla syrup and espresso with seltzer water. Unsurprisingly, it was horrible. I'm with Student Driver: vanilla does not belong in soda.

Last edited by Tubbs McGee; 08-24-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph124c View Post
Another weird concoction marketed by Coca-Cola (in Asia I think) is a grafruit-flavored soad-awful.
Assuming you meant grapefruit, I don't know if there some alternate brand marketed in Asia, but Fresca is a pretty big Coke brand and is available just about everywhere. Happened to be one of LBJ's favorite drinks.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Doors, USAF View Post
If I saw this in the store, I'd snap it right up! How could one not try turkey and gravy soda?

Joe
Old 08-24-2011, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresgeorge04 View Post
If I saw this in the store, I'd snap it right up! How could one not try turkey and gravy soda?

Joe
Here's a review from back in 2004. The author described the Green Bean Casserole flavor as, "gross enough to warrant throwing up eight times with flailing arms."
Old 08-25-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Doors, USAF View Post
We got this a few years back and had people taste them after dinner. The dinner roll flavor was easily the most unpopular, a few people came very close to tossing their dinner.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:58 AM

It was more than 20 years ago (I think) but I will never forget the foulness that was my one sip of Crystal Pepsi.

Also a few years ago someone bought me a case of one of the exotic Mountain Dews. I drink a lot of Diet Mountain Dew, this wasn't Diet but I gave it a shot. It was purple and I think supposed to be Raspberry but instead it was ass.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
What is the worst soft drink you've ever tried?
For me, it would have to be Orbitz. I tried both the lemon and the raspberry flavors, and both were equally disgusting. The lemon smelled like Lemon Pledge and had the consistency of Drain-O. Floating in this crap were hundreds of little colored snot balls that made you want to gag as they entered your mouth. The first thing I did after taking the first sip was to wash balls out of my mouth with a glass of water.
Oh man, I LOVED Orbitz. I remember buying it at a local kwik e mart when I was 16 or so... of course, I was 16. Today, it might make me barf. But I remember it quite fondly and wish it was still around for nostalga's sake.

Anyone ever tried Irn-Bru? Near as I can tell they take the orange dye used in hi-lighters, add some bubble gum flavor and stick it in a bottle. My MIL, who was born and raised in Glasgow, loves it. I told her it would make a good replacement for naval jelly. I think she she went home, got out a big notebook, and added that to the list of 'reasons to hate my son-in-law'.

As far as the absolute worst soft drink I can think of? Diet Coke. Stuff literally makes me gag.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Is there anywhere on the west coast I could get Moxie, and does it come in diet? I know some people that claim it's damnfine, and I want to be able to fart in their general direction with authority.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Is there anywhere on the west coast I could get Moxie, and does it come in diet? I know some people that claim it's damnfine, and I want to be able to fart in their general direction with authority.
IIRC you're in the Portland area... WW had an article a while back that mentioned a shop somewhere in Vancouver called, interestingly, Moxie's (something). Apparently it is/was an old-style soda shop with several hundred varieties of soda. ISTM the WW article was in 2007/2008, so no idea if it still exists but its a place to start. I want to say Moxie's on Main.

Edit: Google says its Moxie's on Main. 1929 W. Main st, Vancouver. Don't know if carries actual Moxie's, but Amazon has it.

Last edited by Lancia; 08-25-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancia View Post
IIRC you're in the Portland area... WW had an article a while back that mentioned a shop somewhere in Vancouver called, interestingly, Moxie's (something). Apparently it is/was an old-style soda shop with several hundred varieties of soda. ISTM the WW article was in 2007/2008, so no idea if it still exists but its a place to start. I want to say Moxie's on Main.

Edit: Google says its Moxie's on Main. 1929 W. Main st, Vancouver. Don't know if carries actual Moxie's, but Amazon has it.
Very close to where I work, right on the other side of the Interstate bridge. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Unless you're diabetic I'd try the original non-diet Moxie first. I can get the stuff in Arkansas so I have no doubt there's some place you can go on the west coast to get it.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
My half-brother is fond of Diet Dr Pepper because it is impossible to distinguish it from regular Dr Pepper.

I don't have the heart to tell him regular Dr Pepper sucks.
QFFT!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:35 PM

Thought of a few more sodas which I can't stand.

One's not a real soda, but is a non-alcoholic carbonated malt beverage: malta. There are a ton of brands, and the easiest to find IMO is Malta Goya. It tastes like the sludge from the bottom of a sugar-laden bowl of Grape-Nuts.

Inca Kola, and similar champagne colas, which are all piss-yellow in color. Lord knows why the word "cola" is in the name of these beverages; more sickly-sweet vanilla/bubblegum/weirdness stuff with absolutely no bite.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
They had a generic brand my mind is protecting me from remembering. The flavor unfortunately will stay with me till my dying day.

Diet Peanut Butter Fudge Cola.
That would be from Canfields. Their diet fudge soda was bad enough. I was never dumb enough to try the peanut butter fudge.