Old 01-21-2014, 12:43 PM

Rick and Morty -- the new animated show from Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland

Is anybody else watching this? I did a search before posting because with all the love Harmon receives for Community, I thought for sure that somebody would've posted about the cartoon he's producing for Adult Swim. But the search turned up nothing, so I guess either nobody is watching it or they're being very surreptitious about it.

In either case, I'm going to take the time to cheerlead for it. It's a half hour animated comedy created and produced by Dan Harmon (Community) and Justin Roiland (voice of Lemongrab from Adventure Time and creator of a fair amount of animated shorts that are watchable on his website), and it's the best new show I've seen in a very long time. It was developed from a satirical short produced by Roiland awhile back, about the relationship between Doc and Marty in Back to the Future. It moved away from that a little bit once it was picked up by Adult Swim, but it still follows an eccentric scientist and his young friend as they go on adventures and do crazy things with science. Adult Swim has made all the episodes viewable on YouTube, so there's really no excuse not to watch them, unless..

.. you have issues with controversial subject matter. The show isn't purposefully controversial or edgy like a lot of Adult Swim shows, but it does veer into darker territory now and then. The latest episode for example, has a giant pedophile talking jelly bean. It's not there just for laughs, though,and outs actually crucial to the episode and an important statement on Rick and Morty's relationship. Believe it or not, the resolution of the pedophile jelly bean plot makes the show less nihilistic and anarchic than it might otherwise be.

In any case, Dan Harmon. Community. You should watch it.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:08 PM

I really enjoy this show! The way Rick frequently belches - and talks through it - in the middle of a sentence gets me every time . It does for Back to the Future what The Venture Bros did to Jonny Quest.

Also, I liked how the 'pedophile jelly bean' episode shows Rick DOES care for Morty, and isn't just using him as an extra pair of hands on his crazy heists/adventures.

Hey, do you know if that 'Back to the Future' satirical short can be seen online?
Old 01-21-2014, 04:29 PM

This video is the short that jump-started the series (I think. I'm on my phone so I can't be sure). You can probably tell why they had to make some changes when it got picked up by Adult Swim.

SPOILER:
http://vimeo.com/m/49664066/

Last edited by Marley23; 01-21-2014 at 05:14 PM. Reason: put NSFW link inside spoiler boxes
Old 01-21-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarwater View Post
This video is the short that jump-started the series (I think. I'm on my phone so I can't be sure). You can probably tell why they had to make some changes when it got picked up by Adult Swim.

SPOILER:
http://vimeo.com/m/49664066
Yeah. . .I can see why then needed to change some things. Honestly, I think that might keep people from seeing the show, rather than interest them.

But see the show. It's worth it.

Also, you might need to break that link, as it's HORRIBLY Not Safe For Work.

Last edited by Marley23; 01-21-2014 at 05:15 PM. Reason: put NSFW link inside spoiler boxes
Old 01-21-2014, 05:17 PM

Yeah, extremely funny new show. The voice acting is really good (which is doubly impressive / weird given that Roiland plays both main characters).
Old 01-21-2014, 06:35 PM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

I thought about starting a thread about Rick and Morty last week, but decided I didn't have much to talk about other than I was hooked and was looking forward to seeing the next episode. Now that I know they're all on-line, I don't know that I can wait until they air.

(And the short, while funny, doesn't really do the show justice. It's a lot more inventive than that short.)
Old 01-21-2014, 08:05 PM

Wow, I hadn't heard about this show. Thanks for mentioning it. I just watched this episode and I enjoyed it quite a bit!
Old 01-21-2014, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
decided I didn't have much to talk about other than I was hooked and was looking forward to seeing the next episode.
Yeah, same. I like 'em .
Old 01-23-2014, 07:53 AM
BANNED

Wow, that original Flash short is, ah, ok, but I'd have never greenlit a show based on it! I'm glad they did though. I liked the show's pilot episode but thought it lacked focus, I'm glad I stuck with it because it's gotten a lot better. I'm also glad to see I wasn't imagining the link to Back to the Future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank View Post
Also, I liked how the 'pedophile jelly bean' episode shows Rick DOES care for Morty, and isn't just using him as an extra pair of hands on his crazy heists/adventures.
SPOILER:
Yeah, I loved how subtle it was when Morty came out of the bathroom all upset and Rick glanced over and saw the perv jellybean coming out of there too. You weren't sure if he got it until the end. I had to back up my TiVo to see who's arm it was that shot him thru the vortex at the very end, and was pleased it was Rick's!
Funniest line for me was at the beginning when the family are all pestering Rick and the daughter says she needs help with her science homework and Rick just says, "Yeah, just don't do it"! I also was surprised how the whole "Meesicks" B-plot wasn't just a gimmick, but turned into a genuine existential dilemma!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:42 PM

Great news! Rick and Morty is doing pretty awesome in the ratings, drawing more viewers in the prized "dudes under 35" demographic than many of its competitors, including Community and the The Michael J. Fox Show. It even bested Archer with the last episode, which was enough for Adult Swim to give the greenlight for a second season!
Old 01-29-2014, 09:33 PM

That IS great news. I'm loving it - it's just keeps getting better. The latest episode's here.

One word: Cronenbergs!

SPOILER:
So far, Morty's killed his 'family' and had to bury 'himself', and we're only six episodes in! I loved how they showed Morty's shock at burying his double. Between that and the jellybean pedophile last week, they're breaking my expectations and going a little deeper. I like it.

Rick and Morty may replace The Venture Bros as my favorite animated show.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
That IS great news. I'm loving it - it's just keeps getting better. The latest episode's here.

One word: Cronenbergs!

SPOILER:
So far, Morty's killed his 'family' and had to bury 'himself', and we're only six episodes in! I loved how they showed Morty's shock at burying his double. Between that and the jellybean pedophile last week, they're breaking my expectations and going a little deeper. I like it.

To contextualize this, the latest episode was actually intended to be the episode that followed the premiere. I don't know why it was pushed back, but you can tell it was meant to be received earlier, because (minor spoiler?)

SPOILER:
Morty is complaining that Rick never does anything for him, directly after an episode where Rick allows Morty to lead an adventure, and Jerry and Beth's marriage is still pretty rocky, directly after an episode where it seemed like they re-affirmed their love for one another.

Which means Rick and Morty have actually been in their alternate world for the last four episodes, at least according to when the episode was supposed to have aired.

I love how the show seems to write itself into a corner, only to come up with a last-second solution that's really not a solution at all. I wonder if they're going to revisit the consequences of any of the previous episodes or if they're going to play fast and lose with the continuity.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:48 AM

Thanks for posting about this show - I love it! The only thing is that the voices remind me of Roiland's other show - 2 Girls, 1 Cup (the sitcom about the cup that shares a house with two girls, not that other thing!)
Old 01-30-2014, 11:25 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

I liked the episode last week with David Cross in it. I wasn't too excited about this weeks, but the episode was pretty good and the ending was incredible (seeing Morty's reaction to everything).
Old 01-31-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
I love how the show seems to write itself into a corner, only to come up with a last-second solution that's really not a solution at all. I wonder if they're going to revisit the consequences of any of the previous episodes or if they're going to play fast and lose with the continuity.
Spoiler for episode 6
SPOILER:
I'm not sure if they went with one Deus Ex Machina or two to solve the Cronenberg horror. They never said how the genetic crises was averted in the new reality they visited, just that they averted it, but I guess you could wrap that up in the whole "jumping realities" D Ex M. I loved the way Rick lampshaded this: "It's not like we can do this every week anyway, we get three or (burrrp) four more of these tops." I took this as a nod to the D Ex M, and that the audience wouldn't put up with this every week.

Pity they're showing it out of order, but at least the audience is loving it and they've committed to a second season.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:39 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
I wasn't too excited about this weeks, but the episode was pretty good and the ending was incredible (seeing Morty's reaction to everything).
Yes, that was actually pretty emotional for a zany cartoon. It kind of took me off guard in the same way Moral Orel used to do. This show went up even further in my opinion after that episode.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:29 PM

Thanks to this thread, I've now seen three episodes. I love it! I can definitely hear Dan Harmon's "voice" in a lot of Rick's cynical comments (especially noticeable if you've ever listened to Harmon's podcasts), and it's interesting to see the places he can go with a story when not limited by real life physics and the corresponding budget restrictions of live-action.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:39 PM

Okay, I just watched the episode with Mr. Jellybean and... whoa. That was intense. I couldn't believe they were going there. It was disturbing, but the way Rick handled everything after that was great.

And I was dying laughing at the whole Meeseeks story. Hilarious and very creative!
Old 03-14-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Venture Brothers is always first in my heart but this show is definitely growing on me.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:10 PM

Ahead of Monday night, Adult Swim has posted the upcoming episode Rixty Minutes on Instagram in 110 fifteen second clips. So if you really enjoy the show, now's your time to prove it.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:52 PM

The Rixty episode may be the funniest thing I've ever seen. I'm beginning to believe Dan Harmon can do no wrong.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:07 PM

the daughter is played by Spencer Grammer (from Greek the abcfamily series, and Kelsey's eldest daughter) The mom is played by Sarah Chalke.

the cronenberg eppy was the whoa factor with the twist ending
Old 03-24-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekosoft View Post
The Rixty episode may be the funniest thing I've ever seen. I'm beginning to believe Dan Harmon can do no wrong.
Just watched the Rixty Minutes episode this weekend. Harmon really knocked it out of the park with that episode, it was hilarious. Oh I'm sorry, "That was a good episode. He really made the crap out of that cartoon." (Oh, and that was the first time I've ever heard that song from Belly. Good song too.)
Old 03-24-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
It looks like that little bit of continuity hasn't been forgotten. Morty talks to his sister about how every morning he eats breakfast 20 feet away from his own body at the end of Rixty Minutes.

Definitely on my must-watch list.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:37 AM

O_O

Oh my jesus. That short was the wrongest thing I've ever seen. I can't believe I watched the whole thing.

I've only caught 2 episodes of R&M. Looks like I need to catch more.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:29 PM

So this needs a bump. Holy cow this is the best cartoon I have ever watched. At the very least easily the best season 1 of a cartoon I've ever watched. Laugh-out-loud hilarious and bizarrely touching, I can't name a single episode that doesn't clock up there on my "must-watch" list (okay, the pilot isn't the greatest thing ever, but still... hell of a show). And I cannot get over that tagline for MeeSeek and Destroy - "Rick and Morty have a real straightforward and fun adventure. Mr. Meeseeks has an existential crisis". That episode definitely ranks up there in my "top 10 episodes of anything ever", nestled in among the Breaking Bad and Dragon Ball Z Abridged and "Something Ricked This Way Comes".

SPOILER:
I loved Needful Things, and that spoof was just priceless. And the ENDING. DEAR GOD.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:51 AM

I have recently started watching Rick and Morty, and it blew me away. Hilarious and crude sci-fi with a bit of depth to it. The dialogue and voice acting is top-notch. The plots are zany but not so alien to me like Adventure Time.

In the last week I've binge watched the entire first season, some episodes like Mr. Meeseeks more than once. "Hi, I'm Mr. Meeseeks! Look at me!" Also the interdimensional cable box was excellent, loved the commercials from other dimensions. The Sneezy XL, the Lucky Charms spoof.

Best show since Archer, maybe better.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:29 AM

Season 2 premiered tonight!

1st episode was pretty fun. I liked that it picked up right where season 1 ended. I need to watch again to see if there were some "hidden" jokes among the many timelines on screen.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:59 AM

Awesome! It looks like you should be able to legally watch all the episodes here: http://www.adultswim.com/videos/rick-and-morty/

Might require cable provider login.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:10 PM

Is that mildew?!
Old 07-27-2015, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
Awesome! It looks like you should be able to legally watch all the episodes here: http://www.adultswim.com/videos/rick-and-morty/
Tease! I though for a second you meant all the second season episodes. Instead looks like I'll have to wait for those week by week like some normal chump .
Old 07-29-2015, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

I discovered the show after seeing the couch gag they did for the Simpsons and then ended up watching the entire first season in one go.

I've since spent an inordinate amount of time pondering what the impact on human theology would be if a giant naked man appeared in the sky on Christmas Day and then exploded.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:18 PM

I finally gave this show a shot last week, and binge watched every episode up to the season 2 premier. Good stuff!
Old 07-30-2015, 03:39 PM
BANNED

I think my favorite moment wasn't even funny, it was when Rick reveals to Morty he has so messed up earth or gotten the whole family killed he just slides into a alternate reality close enough to the original, and he has done it several times!

The look on Morty's face as he walks through his house looking at his mundane family life while pondering this, along with the music was a thing of beauty. Exactly the kind of mind fuck messed up shit I like scifi for.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post
I think my favorite moment wasn't even funny, it was when Rick reveals to Morty he has so messed up earth or gotten the whole family killed he just slides into a alternate reality close enough to the original, and he has done it several times!

The look on Morty's face as he walks through his house looking at his mundane family life while pondering this, along with the music was a thing of beauty. Exactly the kind of mind fuck messed up shit I like scifi for.
This episode stuck with me for days afterwards.

Another vote for great show. I haven't missed an episode.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post
A similar moment in one of the S2 episodes:
SPOILER:
When they go to pick up Jerry from the day care, and Morty has lost the ticket. They're about to grab one of the Jerrys, but some other Rick shows them a ticket and they trade.

The Jerrys look confused for a second... did they almost just go to the wrong family? Maybe they're still going to the wrong family? Does it even matter at all? What would it even mean to be swapped with an identical version of you?
Old 07-30-2015, 11:33 PM

Uh, don't read that. It's from an episode that... doesn't exist yet. Just don't even look.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:40 PM
BANNED

I've seen a couple episodes

seems like typical [as] fare: only funny if you're a marijuana addict
Old 07-30-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSXer View Post

As a marijuana addict, I can tell you it's funnier and more clever than typical shows.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:46 AM

Quote:

lame threadshit, dude
Old 07-31-2015, 12:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:

This is a totally ridiculous criticism, are you sure you saw the show being discussed?

AS has plenty of nonsensical absurd humor shows, stuff like Aqua Teen or Xavier. R&M is nothing like that, it has a clear plot usually involving scifi concepts.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:52 PM

Watched through it on Hulu over the last couple days. Really, really good. The belching shtick gets kind of old after a while and, in my opinion, just gets in the way of the great writing.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:11 PM

Adult Swim has quite a lot of terrible, nonsensical, surrealist crap. Shows that are basically trying to out random each other with no no plot or thematic coherence. Tim and Eric are a blight upon humorkind.

But Rick and Morty definitely shouldn't be grouped with those. Yeah, it definitely goes to some pretty weird places, but there's always a thread of logic connecting what's going on. That's a big part of why the humor works so well for me, because you can end up with an insane situation like Meseeks taking a restaurant hostage and see how every step leading up to that point made sense.

Anyways, great show.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:

Sounds like it went over your head.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:09 AM

I loved Rick and Morty from the pilot on; but I'm a sucker for absurdity, chaos, and imagination mixed in with my humour.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Last night's episode might be my favorite so far.

Between killing a bunch of people for no reason, murdering his friend, and "Roy", Morty might have even worse PTSD now than he did after having to bury himself.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:34 PM

Did you catch the Mister Meeseeeks cameo in the background at the arcade?

Jerryboree was hysterical. I like how Rick didn't really care which Jerry he took home.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:40 PM

"Roy" was great. There's no way that Harmon/Roiland weren't referencing one of the best Star Trek: TNG episodes ever, The Inner Light. But turning the idea into a video game was fantastic (and feels strangely inevitable).
Old 08-04-2015, 12:14 AM

One thing I noticed, when Krombopulos Michael was infiltrating the compound place, was he killing the guards or just knocking them out? It looked a lot like he was just using sleeper holds (the TV shorthand for non-lethal knockouts), but there was also a crunching sound.

I ask because if he was being nonlethal, that would add more sting to the carnage of the main plot. Sure, KM is a psychopathic killing machine, but keeps the damage to an absolute minimum while Morty's good intentioned meddling gets hundreds killed.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garula View Post
It looked a lot like he was just using sleeper holds (the TV shorthand for non-lethal knockouts), but there was also a crunching sound.
I'm no xenobiologist, but those guys look like they had exoskeletons - hard to make a sleeper hold work on bug-people with an exterior carapace. Also KM really enjoyed killing people. But, you know, like I said - I'm no xenobiologist.

Still I'd think killing a few redshirt guards beat hundreds dead and massive infrastructure damage to gear world any day. Besides they're just robots .

Last edited by Tamerlane; 08-04-2015 at 12:53 AM.