Old 11-02-2019, 06:00 AM

A few from the last few days, less exotic than some but still eye-catching for one reason or another. I actually saw them all on the same day (probably Wednesday) but never get round to posting.

One was an original Mini Cooper Sport, albeit a late one (it was W-reg, therefore from 1980).

One was something American, which I always find hard to identify. I'd have sworn it said Chrysler on the back but Chryslers in general aren't unusual here - this was just a very different, distinctly boxy US model. It was the same general shape and style as this Chrysler Imperial in that it had the sort of boxy back end to the roof and rear windscreen that looks like it's been added separately and should be detachable. But that's a 1990 model and this was much newer - this looked like a recent model, and I don't think that was just because it was restored. One of the side / roof panels was in chrome with a badge on it, and it had rounder corners than that. I thought it would be simple to look at some models and find it, but it isn't. It's probably something completely normal in the States, but it's not part of anybody's common range in the UK and looked as though it might have been a US-spec model that had been imported especially.

Also saw an MG-Z quite similar to the one on this page (same colour and everything), with those distinctive slats / vents behind the front wheel arches.

Finally, a brand new sixth-generation model BMW Z4 which will probably not be unusual in a year or two, but is the first I remember seeing and looks distinctly more dramatic and better than the previous generations.

Last edited by Richard_W; 11-02-2019 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_W View Post
One was something American, which I always find hard to identify. I'd have sworn it said Chrysler on the back but Chryslers in general aren't unusual here - this was just a very different, distinctly boxy US model. It was the same general shape and style as this Chrysler Imperial in that it had the sort of boxy back end to the roof and rear windscreen that looks like it's been added separately and should be detachable. But that's a 1990 model and this was much newer - this looked like a recent model, and I don't think that was just because it was restored. One of the side / roof panels was in chrome with a badge on it, and it had rounder corners than that. I thought it would be simple to look at some models and find it, but it isn't. It's probably something completely normal in the States, but it's not part of anybody's common range in the UK and looked as though it might have been a US-spec model that had been imported especially.
Cadillac, maybe? That's what I think of when it comes to vinyl tops. 1987 Fleetwood.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:43 AM

Could have been one of those, yes, especially since an image search shows some with chrome roof panels. Thanks. It's older than I would have thought - they stopped making them in '96, and the one I saw looked more like the '80s shape you posted. It must have been well-looked-after or restored after all.

I don't know why I can never identify American cars. I know all the main brands but I suppose I don't have much idea of which ones did which kind of thing. (Muscle cars are a bit easier but that style has become more popular over here too in the last few years).

Last edited by Richard_W; 11-03-2019 at 04:44 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

Was at South Beach, Miami today. Many top of the line Lambos, Ferraris, and a Maclaren or two. But the winner was a 1955 Olds 88 convertible in bright yellow.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:41 PM

1984(?- based upon hub caps) Ford LTD wagon, still "in the box" (Woodie style), similar to this, but darker blue, parked on the street.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:55 PM

I caught a glimpse of this beauty this afternoon. I can't identify it. Anyone know what it is?

https://ibb.co/hBM4bVH
Old 11-04-2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
I caught a glimpse of this beauty this afternoon. I can't identify it. Anyone know what it is?

Well, itís beautiful, thatís what it is. Other than that Iíve got nothing.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post

An early 1930s Cadillac, maybe? This one looks kind of similar, but it's hard to tell since that picture was taken from a different angle. The windows on the car in your picture look more squared off than that one, but maybe it was slightly older or a different model.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:36 AM

It wasn't today but rather last Tues, but I saw a 1930-31- something like that- Model A.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:20 AM

I think it might be a kit car...put a custom body and interior on an already existant frame and drivetrain.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:20 PM

Kit car is probably more likely, but in that era it also wasn't uncommon for luxury cars to be custom built by coachbuilders. If you had the means, you could buy just the chassis and engine from Cadillac, Duesenberg, Packard, etc., take it to your favorite coachbuilder, and have your car built to your exact specifications. But I'm guessing any coachbuilt cars that survive today would be more likely found in museums, or Jay Leno's collection, and not on the highway. So yeah, kit car seems the most likely. Those vents along the side of the hood do look very much like a Cadillac from the early 1930s, but it's quite possible that the kit car would copy some of Cadillac's styling elements.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:58 PM

I just saw a couple riding in a Model T-based hot rod. No top on the vehicle as the temperature reading on a nearby sign was 55 degrees. The car had a bright red paint job and an exposed engine.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:17 PM

Saw a really small car this morning. Didn't know the brand. But a Google on smallest American car returned the exact thing on the first hit. Even got the color right.

A Smart fortwo. I've heard about these but haven't seen one out here in SUV country (the suburbs). Gotta be scary driving among the tanks on these roads. I have a Corolla and feel dwarfed.

Sort of reminds me of the old Isetta that a guy at the dry cleaners had back when I was a kid. The door was in the front! Surely that was safe in a crash.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
A Smart fortwo. I've heard about these but haven't seen one out here in SUV country (the suburbs). Gotta be scary driving among the tanks on these roads. I have a Corolla and feel dwarfed.
NYPD has been using them for a couple of years.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
NYPD has been using them for a couple of years.
They're pretty common in nearly all large cities, mainly for the parking.

Yesterday (just remembered it now) a Jaguar I-PACE EV400 HSE on my way to work.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:54 AM

I followed an Aston Martin Rapide for a few minutes today. The driver apparently didn't know where they were going, as they slowed down at every cross street and parking lot they passed.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:25 PM

I heven't seen anything all that interesting in a while, but this morning I was following a late 1980s Oldsmobile Delta 88 for quite a while, which was interesting if only because it was it pretty good shape for an over 30 year old car (I determined it must have been a 1988 model or older because according to Wikipedia they dropped the "Delta" name in 1989). And it had an "FE3" badge on the back, which apparently means the original buyer ordered the sportier suspension according to Old Car Brochures.

I also saw an early 1990s Buick Estate Wagon, one of the last traditional big American station wagons.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:08 PM

This morning I saw a Saturn Astra. Apparently they sold relatively few of those before GM killed the Saturn brand. It was, of course, an just Opel/Vauxhall Astra imported to the US and badged as a Saturn, so it's actually a car that would ironically be more familiar to Europeans even though they wouldn't be familiar with the Saturn brand.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 11-08-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

A BMW I8. Quite sporty, it is.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:35 PM

A forgot to mention earlier, but I also saw a Subaru WRX STI. I know Subaru says STI stands for "Subaru Tecnica International", but does their marketing department not realize what most Americans think of when they hear "STI"?
Old 11-08-2019, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
A forgot to mention earlier, but I also saw a Subaru WRX STI. I know Subaru says STI stands for "Subaru Tecnica International", but does their marketing department not realize what most Americans think of when they hear "STI"?
I had to look it up. I only know STD.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I had to look it up. I only know STD.
Yeah, while I'd figure out STI in context, it's not commonly used IMO.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:00 PM

This morning I saw 1970s era Toyota pickup (Hilux to the rest of the world), still looking good for an over 40 year old vehicle.

Also saw a Honda CRX this morning, one of those cars that used to be everywhere but now you hardly ever see anymore. I'm guessing most of them got abused by the "tuner" crowd, but this one looked completely original.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

At a garage on my commute was a 3rd generation (68-69) Imperial (not a Chrysler at that point) 2 door convertible. Not in great shape, but quite the beast.
Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM

In Marlow for lunch yesterday, where interesting things go past fairly regularly. Nothing that really stood out, but I did see an Alfa Romeo 4C and a Triumph Stag, on a short walk.

Last week I also saw another Rolls Royce, parked in almost exactly the same spot as the Cullinan a couple of weeks ago. I think this one was one of the newer Ghosts. I mention it mostly because they seem to be slightly changing the styling on the front ends to add a bit of detail, perhaps in concession to the fact that even rich people might want their cars to look good. Recent Rolls Royces seem to convey the message "I am rich enough to afford this massive car that looks like a brick! Now get out of my way! I am not trying to be subtle about this!", whereas this one almost had a hint of elegance around the headlamps again. Not much of one really, just in comparison to the completely square and horribly ugly Phantoms from a few years ago.

Last edited by Richard_W; Yesterday at 07:26 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM

In my atypically lucid dreams last night I added a first generation Camaro convertible, with the 427, to my car collection*.

Man, I love those early Camaros!

*I don't have a car collection, unless you count a Prius, a Bolt, and a Spitfire as a collection.
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM

Not today, but Friday I saw a C3 Corvette on the road. It looked like a later one, which I've heard nicknamed the "Disco 'Vette", late 1970s or early 1980s. I'm not sure exactly when they gave the 'Vette that wrap-around rear window instead of the vertical one of the early C3s.

Yesterday I walked past a shiny red Miata (MX-5) RF in a parking lot. It looked like the twin of my own Miata apart from it having the hard top and mine having the traditional soft top. And it had a trunk mounted luggage rack, the sort that was popular on coupes in the 1980s, but you hardly ever see anymore. Come to think of it while those luggage racks were common on 1980s cars, I can't recall ever seeing anyone actually carry luggage on one. It does, however, somewhat alleviate the problem of the Miata's tiny trunk. Now I'm curious if that's an actual Mazda accessory or an aftermarket thing.
Old Today, 02:19 PM

Out and about this morning: A early 70s Dodge Charger. Sloped but not quite "fastback" rear.

In fairly decent but not pristine condition.
Old Today, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I'm not sure exactly when they gave the 'Vette that wrap-around rear window instead of the vertical one of the early C3s.
1978 was the year.