View Poll Results: Are Reese's Peanut Butter Cups a Candy Bar?
Yes 251 53.63%
No 217 46.37%
Voters: 468. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2014, 10:47 AM

it is a candy. it is not a bar (uniform cross-section smaller than its length).

it is a candy conical section.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:52 AM

This is bizarre. Never in my life would I ever consider peanut butter cups to be a bar, because it's not a bar. It's a cup.

So bizarre.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:19 AM

to-MAY-to

to-MAH-to

Its a candy bar.

"A Rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

If I think about getting a candy bar while I am filling up my car with gasoline, a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup is near or at the top of the list.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBunny View Post
No, but it's delicious, so I don't really care what everyone calls it.
This, with one caveat; it is pronounced REEsez, so as to rhyme with pieces. Hence, Reese's Pieces. NOT REEseez, so as to rhyme with feces.

You can call it a candy bar, a disk like confection, or any damned thing else that tickles your fancy, but for the love of sweet chocolate, do not say Reesy's
Old 10-28-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
This, with one caveat; it is pronounced REEsez, so as to rhyme with pieces. Hence, Reese's Pieces. NOT REEseez, so as to rhyme with feces.

You can call it a candy bar, a disk like confection, or any damned thing else that tickles your fancy, but for the love of sweet chocolate, do not say Reesy's
And since we're (sorta) on the subject, the man's name that sounds like "Reese" is spelled "Rhys". Bloody illiterates!
Old 10-28-2014, 11:26 AM

What about Mallo Cups?
Old 10-28-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBunny View Post
And since we're (sorta) on the subject, the man's name that sounds like "Reese" is spelled "Rhys". Bloody illiterates!
I did not know that. Was he a Brit?
Old 10-28-2014, 12:52 PM

This has been the most fascinating thread. A lot of "well, I get that it is not technically a candy bar, not being a bar and all, but I think I'll call it a candy bar anyway because reasons."
Old 10-28-2014, 01:06 PM

I assume that's the very reason for the OP, because it is a conundrum of sorts.

I've never pondered it before, though I've always classified it in my mind as a candy bar. Mostly because of context, as others have mentioned, and also because it's packaged and , um, selfcontained (?) the way a traditional candy bar is.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:20 PM

The issue is that some people are using candy bar to mean candy that is in bar form and others use candy bar to mean single serving retail unit of candy, or possibly dividing candy into candy pieces such as skittles, m&ms and necco wafers and everything else is a 'candy bar'.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonebow View Post
This has been the most fascinating thread. A lot of "well, I get that it is not technically a candy bar, not being a bar and all, but I think I'll call it a candy bar anyway because reasons."
Exactly. A "candy bar."
Old 10-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonebow View Post
Geometric vs Functional definitions
Old 10-28-2014, 01:26 PM

Not candy, because peanut butter is not candy and it's not a bar shape either. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are either entrees or appetizers, depending upon when they are served.

Although, if we are going it insist that a candy bar be actually in a 'bar' shape then we are going to have to find new names for a lot of candy. Would a Payday be a candy bar? It's more of a log shape to me.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftless View Post
Not candy, because peanut butter is not candy
It wouldn't be the only candy bar with peanuts or peanut butter in it.

Quote:
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are either entrees or appetizers, depending upon when they are served.
You can say that about any edible thing.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious j View Post
Nailed it. It's a rectangle, same as all the others.

Is peppermint patty not a candy bar, either, since it's a patty, not a bar?
Peppermint Patty is obviously a character from Peanuts. Which is ironic because the candy involves no peanuts, just coconut. Is coconut a nut? Or a fruit? And what do you call those cacao things? Is chocolate a vegetable or a fruit?
Old 10-28-2014, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Peppermint patty? Of course that's not a candy bar. Madness, I tell you. For a brief period, sanity was winning this poll, but we're back to the "yes"es taking the lead.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:57 PM

Yes, it's a candy bar to me. In my personal lexicon, "candy bar" is a compound phrase. Whether or not something is a "candy bar" to me depends more on what it's made of and what section it's sold in, not the literal shape of the confection.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:06 PM

Does this mean that for those who feel a reeses cup is not a candy bar, if I softened a cup and smushed it into a rectangular shape, it would now be a candy bar? If I took a milky way and warmed it until I was able to shape it into a sphere, is it no longer a candy bar? Or is it a deformed candy bar?
Old 10-28-2014, 03:24 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

If you solidify the peanut butter to give it rigidity, then mold it into a rectangular solid and coat it with chocolate, then it would be a "candy bar."

The Milky Way would be a "deformed mass of candy."

As for the Payday example prior, it is still a "candy bar," since bars can be cylindrical. Bars cannot, however, be cup-shaped.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:28 PM

Why does the peanut butter need to be solidified? It's more solid than milky way or 3 musketeers filling.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
As for the Payday example prior, it is still a "candy bar," since bars can be cylindrical.
Is a peppermint stick a candy bar?
Old 10-28-2014, 03:36 PM

What about the reeses peanut butter eggs that come out around easter? Are those bars?
Old 10-28-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
As for the Payday example prior, it is still a "candy bar," since bars can be cylindrical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew View Post
Is a peppermint stick a candy bar?
it is bar shaped.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you solidify the peanut butter to give it rigidity, then mold it into a rectangular solid and coat it with chocolate, then it would be a "candy bar."

The Milky Way would be a "deformed mass of candy."

As for the Payday example prior, it is still a "candy bar," since bars can be cylindrical. Bars cannot, however, be cup-shaped.
Exactly. Part of the point of a candy bar, as I mentioned above, is its convenience in eating. You can peel the wrapper back, hold it in one hand, and eat it as needed while doing another activity. Like the whole point of sandwich. Hold your sandwich in one hand, your cards in the other (okay, we might have a problem when playing a card. Then hold your sandwich/candy bar in one hand, the steering wheel in the other). You can do the same with a candy bar. You can't do it easily with a Reese's. It is not a candy bar in shape, nor utility. To me, the entire fucking point of a candy bar is that I can easily eat it one bite at a time, as needed, with one hand.

Last edited by pulykamell; 10-28-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:11 PM

Ok, geeze. I'm just curious where people's lines of demarcation are.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
Ok, geeze. I'm just curious where people's lines of demarcation are.
I'm exaggerating for effect. Still, for my working definition, that is where and why I draw the line there. A candy bar is a snack of convenience, and eating a Reese's is a little more finicky and (given that it's not even shaped like a bar), it goes into the "other confectionary" category for me, like mini-chocolates or those Ferraro Rocher balls or truffles, etc.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
To me, the entire fucking point of a candy bar is that I can easily eat it one bite at a time, as needed, with one hand.
To you. I get that to you this is how it is. But language is not so easily defined. This poll is like something from a linguistics class, designed to spark just this kind of discussion. And it can spark this kind of discussion precisely because people have different usages of the term and therefore different opinions on whether this particular example qualifies. Its not about right or wrong if we're talking linguistics, since linguistics is descriptive rather than prescriptive, like grammar or English language studies. So your opinion is perfectly valid, but so is everyone else's. And right now the yes's are winning, so maybe that should tell you something.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
To you. I get that to you this is how it is. But language is not so easily defined. This poll is like something from a linguistics class, designed to spark just this kind of discussion. And it can spark this kind of discussion precisely because people have different usages of the term and therefore different opinions on whether this particular example qualifies. Its not about right or wrong if we're talking linguistics, since linguistics is descriptive rather than prescriptive, like grammar or English language studies. So your opinion is perfectly valid, but so is everyone else's. And right now the yes's are winning, so maybe that should tell you something.
Yes, I know how linguistics works. I'm a descriptivist. I'm playing along a bit here. It's pretty much evenly divided, which is, actually, pretty interesting to me. I would not have guessed it would be that down the middle.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And right now the yes's are winning, so maybe that should tell you something.
As Will Rogers once noted: Sometimes the majority just means all the idiots are on the same side.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Exactly. Part of the point of a candy bar, as I mentioned above, is its convenience in eating. You can peel the wrapper back, hold it in one hand, and eat it as needed while doing another activity. Like the whole point of sandwich. Hold your sandwich in one hand, your cards in the other (okay, we might have a problem when playing a card. Then hold your sandwich/candy bar in one hand, the steering wheel in the other). You can do the same with a candy bar. You can't do it easily with a Reese's. It is not a candy bar in shape, nor utility. To me, the entire fucking point of a candy bar is that I can easily eat it one bite at a time, as needed, with one hand.
What about 100 Thousand Grand bars? Or Mounds or Almond Joys? They come two to a "bar". Don't they count as candy bars?
Old 10-28-2014, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
What about 100 Thousand Grand bars? Or Mounds or Almond Joys? They come two to a "bar". Don't they count as candy bars?
I was actually thinking about those. Those are probably still just outside what I would consider a "candy bar" by my definition. I admit, it's a much grayer area for me than Reese's.

Last edited by pulykamell; 10-28-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was actually thinking about those. Those are probably still just outside what I would consider a "candy bar" by my definition. I admit, it's a much grayer area for me than Reese's.
I find this whole discussion fascinating.

And the bag of Reese cups in the next room waiting for Halloween is killing me!
Old 10-28-2014, 05:22 PM

If you count the Reese's cups as a "Candy bar" then you would have to consider Rolo's one, too--they are sold in the same location at similar price points, partially consist of chocolate, and generally fill the other criteria that constitute the reasons or "exceptions" people who voted Yes are providing.

And if you consider Rolo's a candy bar, that is just plain stupid.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know how linguistics works. I'm a descriptivist. I'm playing along a bit here. It's pretty much evenly divided, which is, actually, pretty interesting to me. I would not have guessed it would be that down the middle.
I only commented because some of your statements came off a bit rigid, and incredulous at the very idea that anyone could see it differently.

I thought that and the pretty even results of the survey was a pretty noteworthy juxtaposition. That's all.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
As Will Rogers once noted: Sometimes the majority just means all the idiots are on the same side.
I didn't say what it might tell you, I'm not quite sure what it says that its so close, but its pretty interesting.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMogul View Post
If you count the Reese's cups as a "Candy bar" then you would have to consider Rolo's one, too--they are sold in the same location at similar price points, partially consist of chocolate, and generally fill the other criteria that constitute the reasons or "exceptions" people who voted Yes are providing.

And if you consider Rolo's a candy bar, that is just plain stupid.
Well, Rolo is bar shaped. Is it disqualified just because the foil is utilized differently than in most candy bars? It has the same ingredients, and the correct shape. So you must be factoring in the foil location?

I'm just curious and want to see how this thread plays out, so this is partly devil's advocate here.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

I'll admit, it's interesting the reasoning behind people's answers.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I only commented because some of your statements came off a bit rigid, and incredulous at the very idea that anyone could see it differently,
Once again, I'm playing a bit. Don't take my statements in this thread too seriously.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

What you can take seriously, though, is that I'm surprised a majority of posters (at the moment) consider it a candy bar. That really is surprising to me. I want to post the question on my Facebook and see what non-dopers say. ETA: OK, I put it up exactly as this: "Question: Do you consider Reese's Peanut Butter Cups a candy bar?" Let's see what my folks say (although I probably expect no more than 20 replies.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 10-28-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:00 PM

I think we are getting into Great Debates territory.

Along with Shoes On/Shoes Off and Toilet Paper Over or Under.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:16 PM

More like, do you refuse to use the term, "dial the phone"? Or adhere only to the ancient Roman definition of "decimate"?
Old 10-28-2014, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, Rolo is bar shaped. Is it disqualified just because the foil is utilized differently than in most candy bars? It has the same ingredients, and the correct shape. So you must be factoring in the foil location?

I'm just curious and want to see how this thread plays out, so this is partly devil's advocate here.
Too many little pieces. I rule out M&Ms and Skittles etc under the same criteria.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Well, so far my Facebook survey is 2-to-1 in favor of Reese's being candy bars. I may very well be on the wrong side of usage here.

ETA:Oh, we've pulled even. Will have to wait at least 12 hours for the next meaningful update.

Last edited by pulykamell; 10-28-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, because the individual parts are still, in themselves, roughly bar-shaped. It's close, though -- if they were much squatter, they would be venturing into peanut butter cup territory.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
What you can take seriously, though, is that I'm surprised a majority of posters (at the moment) consider it a candy bar. That really is surprising to me. I want to post the question on my Facebook and see what non-dopers say. ETA: OK, I put it up exactly as this: "Question: Do you consider Reese's Peanut Butter Cups a candy bar?" Let's see what my folks say (although I probably expect no more than 20 replies.)
I'm surprised too. I really expected upon clicking on the survey that it would be something like 9 to 1 "not a candy bar".
Old 10-28-2014, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Potato View Post
Yes, because the individual parts are still, in themselves, roughly bar-shaped. It's close, though -- if they were much squatter, they would be venturing into peanut butter cup territory.
I was challenging pulykamell's assertion that candy bars are defined the being one piece that she could eat the entirety of in one hand.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I was challenging pulykamell's assertion that candy bars are defined the being one piece that she could eat the entirety of in one hand.
And what about Big Hunk and Look? Obviously candy bars. And you can even eat them pulykamell's way if you happen to have steel jaws*. But the proper way to eat them, as recommended on the wrapper, is to smash them into bite-size pieces.

*In which case what are you doing sitting around eating candy? Shouldn't you be out chasing down James Bond?
Old 10-28-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
I think we are getting into Great Debates territory.

Along with Shoes On/Shoes Off and Toilet Paper Over or Under.
I knew someday I would tear this board apart
Old 10-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, so far my Facebook survey is 2-to-1 in favor of Reese's being candy bars. I may very well be on the wrong side of usage here.

ETA:Oh, we've pulled even. Will have to wait at least 12 hours for the next meaningful update.
Ok, 12 votes in, and it's 6-6. Much like the response here. interesting.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Ok, 12 votes in, and it's 6-6. Much like the response here. interesting.
Did you recieve informed consent from your test subjects? Do they understand they are to be humanely euthanized for post mortem examination and tissue sampling?