View Poll Results: Are Reese's Peanut Butter Cups a Candy Bar?
Yes 251 53.63%
No 217 46.37%
Voters: 468. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2014, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Well, I'm ready to throw down the towel. It's 8-7 in favor of it being a candy bar on my Facebook page. Regardless of any other votes that may come through, it seems that my results will echo the results here fairly closely--it's not like one side or another is pulling crazily away. I thought the "anti candy bar" side would be a clear winner, but it appears I am wrong. So I guess this is a far more contentious issue than I first surmised. Well, whatever the majority decides, I'm happy to go with. (

Last edited by pulykamell; 10-28-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:50 PM

Well, I'm on the "Yes" side, but I'd be content for the definitive answer to be "sort of."
Old 10-28-2014, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

What are my other choices?
Old 10-28-2014, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Fascinating thread, y'all.

Next, let us consider the question of whether we're more likely to see a candy bar named after Alfred, Lord Tennyson or James Joyce...
Old 10-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Well, I'm ready to throw down the towel. It's 8-7 in favor of it being a candy bar on my Facebook page. Regardless of any other votes that may come through, it seems that my results will echo the results here fairly closely--it's not like one side or another is pulling crazily away. I thought the "anti candy bar" side would be a clear winner, but it appears I am wrong. So I guess this is a far more contentious issue than I first surmised. Well, whatever the majority decides, I'm happy to go with. (
The final tally looks like it swung a little bit the other way for me, 10-8 that it's not a candy bar, but, regardless, it shows a pretty even split.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:48 AM
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member

Yay- we made threadspotting!
Old 10-29-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
Sweet!
Old 10-29-2014, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Sweet!
And peanut buttery!
Old 10-29-2014, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Dammit! I just need the 'no's to be ahead one more time so I can stop reading this thread and all will be right with the world!
Old 10-29-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Neat! I'm pretty sure a thread I started never has before.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Next, let us consider the question of whether we're more likely to see a candy bar named after Alfred, Lord Tennyson or James Joyce...
It's common knowledge that Joyce was called, in more familiar circles, Baby Ruth.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Did you recieve informed consent from your test subjects?
I know I'm being "that guy," but I just wanted to add that I would see a directly asked survey question to inherently contain consent. It's the sneakiness of what Facebook did that made it need informed consent.

Anyways, I forgot to give my answer: Enh? I would call it one in some situations and not in others. I guess I slightly lean towards it being a candy bar, mostly due to a lack of any better category. The pieces are too big to fit into the bite-sized category where you put M&Ms, Reeses Pieces, and even mini-cups. I could call them cups, but that leaves then in a category of one.

If this poll had five gradations (definitely yes, leaning yes, maybe, leaning no, definitely no) I'd bet most people in the current "yes" category would be "leaning yes."

BTW, OP: What's your opinion on the matter?

Last edited by BigT; 10-29-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Fascinating thread, y'all.

Almond Joyce?
Old 10-29-2014, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are sui generis.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

I think we can all agree that they're similar to candy bars. And there are very few other cup candies. But then, there are a lot of candies which are similar to candy bars and of a unique or near-unique shape. Compare the Cadbury creme egg, or the York peppermint patty.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:13 AM
Elephant Whisperer

It is too a candy bar. And I suspect the "No" voters all roll their toilet paper underneath.

EDIT: Could it be mere coincidence that the percentage divide in the answers closely mirrors that in the recent Scottish independece vote do you think?

Last edited by Siam Sam; 10-30-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
It's a functional definition, not a geometric one.
Exactly. A pack of Reese's cups fills the same role as a Hershey bar or Butterfinger. People are a little too hung up on trivial matters of shape.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I know I'm being "that guy," but I just wanted to add that I would see a directly asked survey question to inherently contain consent. It's the sneakiness of what Facebook did that made it need informed consent.
Yeah, I was just kidding about both the consent and the euthanasia part. I hope pulykamell knew that . . .
Old 10-30-2014, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno-Toad View Post
Exactly. A pack of Reese's cups fills the same role as a Hershey bar or Butterfinger. People are a little too hung up on trivial matters of shape.
Well, as I mentioned, it is a matter of function and utility, too, though. The shape of a bar makes it more useful for certain things than a cup shape does. When I want a candy bar, I imagine eating it on a road trip, for example, just holding it by the wrapper in one hand, munching away while holding the wheel with the other. I can easily eat it on a bicycle, or grab it out of my pocket during a hike and eat it without having to break stride, etc. I don't need two hands to eat it. A Reese's is more fussy in its method of its chocolate-peanut butter goodness delivery because it is not in a bar shape.

Question again: Where do those Ferraro Rochers or Mon Cheris or chocolate peanut-butter truffles fall on the candy bar scale? The Ferraro Rochers are also sold in the candy bar aisle in my store. If those aren't candy bars, why aren't they?

So, to me this isn't about linguistic pedanticism. I suppose you can call it functional pedanticism, much in the way folks argue that an open-faced sandwich isn't a sandwich because the function of a sandwich is to facilitate eating by enclosing food between two pieces of bread (or similar starchy substance.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 10-30-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:44 AM

And they're wrong there, too.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
And they're wrong there, too.
Well, no. They're equally right. (I happen to be on the "open faced sandwich is a sandwich" side of things, actually.) The usage in this thread is quite evenly split.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:15 AM

I note that the peanut butter cups are not listed in the wikipedia category of candy bar. Those on the candy bar side might want to get on that.

Reese's whips are though.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly View Post
I note that the peanut butter cups are not listed in the wikipedia category of candy bar. Those on the candy bar side might want to get on that.

Reese's whips are though.
Interestingly, Rolo is listed. If Rolo counts, then Reese's Cups should count. Meanwhile, Peppermint Patties are not listed. If Rolos count, then those should, too, I'd think.

Last edited by pulykamell; 10-30-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrador Deceiver View Post
Tomatoes are vegetables.

I'm not aware of any botanical definition of the word vegetable.
Non-awareness does not mean non-existence.

A fruit is plant material arising from a fertilized reproductive organ.

A vegetable is plant material arising from developmental growth.

Therefore, an edible flower (e.g. artichoke) is a vegetable, but a tomato, squash, cucumber, or other thing coming from a fertilized flower, is a fruit.

Rule of thumb: if it normally has a seed, it's a fruit. Otherwise it's a vegetable.

Trivia question: many fruits are treated as vegetables. As far as I recall, only one vegetable is used as a fruit. Can you name it?
Old 10-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLir View Post
Non-awareness does not mean non-existence.

A fruit is plant material arising from a fertilized reproductive organ.

A vegetable is plant material arising from developmental growth.

Therefore, an edible flower (e.g. artichoke) is a vegetable, but a tomato, squash, cucumber, or other thing coming from a fertilized flower, is a fruit.

Rule of thumb: if it normally has a seed, it's a fruit. Otherwise it's a vegetable.

Trivia question: many fruits are treated as vegetables. As far as I recall, only one vegetable is used as a fruit. Can you name it?
Rhubarb? But I use that both as fruit and vegetable. Anyhow, for most purposes, "vegetable" simply means plant matter that is treated like a vegetable culinarily, even if it is technically a fruit. The definition of vegetable usually includes types of fruit.

Last edited by pulykamell; 10-30-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

You're probably referring to rhubarb, but strawberry and hibiscus would also fit the bill.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, as I mentioned, it is a matter of function and utility, too, though. The shape of a bar makes it more useful for certain things than a cup shape does. When I want a candy bar, I imagine eating it on a road trip, for example, just holding it by the wrapper in one hand, munching away while holding the wheel with the other. I can easily eat it on a bicycle, or grab it out of my pocket during a hike and eat it without having to break stride, etc. I don't need two hands to eat it. A Reese's is more fussy in its method of its chocolate-peanut butter goodness delivery because it is not in a bar shape.
We circle back to that questions about where Almond Joys, Mounds and 100 Thousand Bars fir in your definition, then, since they are also two to a pack.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
We circle back to that questions about where Almond Joys, Mounds and 100 Thousand Bars fir in your definition, then, since they are also two to a pack.
Those are pretty much the exact center of the "candy bar" vs "not a candy bar" continuum for me. I would functionally just barely put them on the candy bar side of the aisle, as I am able to eat them like I would eat a candy bar, but I can't do that to a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. When I personally ask for a candy bar, I'm usually looking for this sort of convenience. If I ask for a Reese's candy bar, I expect one of those Reese's candy bars, not a peanut butter cup. But now that I know there's much more ambiguity to the definition, I will keep in mind that others use the term much more loosely. I am honestly surprised by this, but I am happy to go along with public opinion that shows they are commonly thought of as candy bars.

So, we got that answered. Now where do the Ferraro Rochers, Mon Cheris, Rolos, and other similar substances sold in the candy bar aisle fall on the spectrum? I'm curious where the other side's mid-point in the candy bar vs non-candy bar definition is. This is a sincere question, not a gotcha, or anything like that. I'm curious about word usage, and this poll has been surprising to me, so I am trying to learn something.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Those are pretty much the exact center of the "candy bar" vs "not a candy bar" continuum for me. I would functionally just barely put them on the candy bar side of the aisle, as I am able to eat them like I would eat a candy bar, but I can't do that to a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. When I personally ask for a candy bar, I'm usually looking for this sort of convenience. If I ask for a Reese's candy bar, I expect one of those Reese's candy bars, not a peanut butter cup. But now that I know there's much more ambiguity to the definition, I will keep in mind that others use the term much more loosely. I am honestly surprised by this, but I am happy to go along with public opinion that shows they are commonly thought of as candy bars.

So, we got that answered. Now where do the Ferraro Rochers, Mon Cheris, Rolos, and other similar substances sold in the candy bar aisle fall on the spectrum? I'm curious where the other side's mid-point in the candy bar vs non-candy bar definition is. This is a sincere question, not a gotcha, or anything like that. I'm curious about word usage, and this poll has been surprising to me, so I am trying to learn something.

I'm of the same mind.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:26 PM

Almond Joys, Mounds and 100 Grands are candy bars. As for Rolo, candy bar, candy. ferraro rochers are chocolates as are mon cheris.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:

How are those candies sold? In a bag, or larger box? Are they sold in a single serving format at the same price point as other candy bars? If I go to the grocery store and look at the candy bar selection at the check out, will I see a single serving pack of ferraro roches, or mon cheris? No, they are usually by the premium candies and the fanny may and whitman's boxes of chocolates, so no, they seem pretty clearly differentiated from candy bars to me. I actually think rolo is a candy bar though, I mean its literally candy sold in a shape of a bar, at the check out, in a single serving about the same price as every other candy bar. Maybe the single serving, and the price point considerations may help illuminate some difference here between reese's cups and the examples you are presenting.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
I actually think rolo is a candy bar though, I mean its literally candy sold in a shape of a bar, at the check out, in a single serving about the same price as every other candy bar.
Yeah, the Rolo is an interesting one to me. I don't think of it as a candy bar, myself, as it doesn't really lend itself to candy bar-like eating. Just like I wouldn't think if I stacked four Mon Cheris into narrow, rectangular packaging that they would constitute a "candy bar," either. But it looks like the working definition for about half the population is if it's packaged like a candy bar, it doesn't matter whether it is composed of many individual units or one cohesive bar unit, it's a candy bar.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ok, geeze. I'm just curious where people's lines of demarcation are.
I approve of that. For those who are just collecting people's intuitive assignments - -

I consider a 2-pack of Reese's cups to be a candy bar, but a 1-pack isn't unless it's being giving away as Halloween candy. Don't ask me why. This isn't something I analyzed and decided, it's a reaction.

A peppermint stick is not a candy bar. In fact, nothing that rigid is. Candy bars can break under certain circumstances but must also be able to bend in other circumstances.

Mounds or Almond Joys are candy bars. Peppermint Patties are not. Neither are Rolos. Although in fairness to anyone who lists Rolos as candy bars, they usually come out of the pack stuck together like a bar.

That said, if I told a child that they could pick out a candy bar, I would not kick up a fuss if they chose a bag of M&Ms. If I told a vending machine operator to put candy bars in her machine, I would not oppose packets of Starburst candy, I just wouldn't ever eat them.

Oh, and the stuff in a Reese's cup is candy. It started out as peanut butter, but got sugar and other things added to it. It is not longer suitable for use in a PB&J.

Once we've thoroughly discussed other candy-related things we can ask how many candy bars it takes to make a pile. And is a heap of candy bars bigger than a pile of them?
Old 10-30-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
That said, if I told a child that they could pick out a candy bar, I would not kick up a fuss if they chose a bag of M&Ms. If I told a vending machine operator to put candy bars in her machine, I would not oppose packets of Starburst candy, I just wouldn't ever eat them.
I think that's the sticking point. If my friend Jane is visiting and feeling peckish, asks if I have a candy bar, I'm not going to open the cupboard and see a 2-pack of reeses cups, close and say, Nope, no candy bars here.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
I think that's the sticking point. If my friend Jane is visiting and feeling peckish, asks if I have a candy bar, I'm not going to open the cupboard and see a 2-pack of reeses cups, close and say, Nope, no candy bars here.
Well, I voted that Reese's are candy bars. But in your scenario, I would do just that, because I want those damned Reese's all to myself.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
You're probably referring to rhubarb, but strawberry and hibiscus would also fit the bill.
Strawberries are fruits - odd ones, granted, since they are sort of "inside-out" - but they do have seeds. That's what those freckles on the outside are.

Hibiscus or jamaica is only used as a tea that I know of, rather than being eaten itself, which was sort of the underlying criterion.

Rhubarb was what I had in mind, so congrats to you and others.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Rhubarb? But I use that both as fruit and vegetable. Anyhow, for most purposes, "vegetable" simply means plant matter that is treated like a vegetable culinarily, even if it is technically a fruit. The definition of vegetable usually includes types of fruit.
I'll grant your point that the connotation (common meaning) of vegetable and fruit divides on use and sweetness, but the denotation (technical meaning) is as I stated.

I tend not to belabor the difference myself, but the question began with definitions.

Almost as bad as defining what the difference is between soup and stew to someone learning English as a second language:

Consider - Diced potatoes simmered in seasoned milk is "potato soup."
Add oysters, and it's "oyster stew."
Add clams (or other seafood) instead, and it's "clam (...) chowder."
Gets a bit schizophrenic.

Last edited by MacLir; 10-30-2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Added word to clarify
Old 10-30-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Almost as bad as defining what the difference is between soup and stew to someone learning English as a second language:

Consider - Diced potatoes simmered in seasoned milk is "potato soup."
Add oysters, and it's "oyster stew."
Add clams (or other seafood) instead, and it's "clam (...) chowder."
Gets a bit schizophrenic.
IF it's no trouble, I'll have the bisque.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sure, I wouldn't get pedantic about that in that context, either. I might say "Are Reese's okay?" if I'm unsure, but, then I'd also count in other confectionaries that are not strictly candy bars, like, say, granola bars, or individual serving size candies, truffles, etc.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll grant your point that the connotation (common meaning) of vegetable and fruit divides on use and sweetness, but the denotation (technical meaning) is as I stated.
But there really isn't any botanical (which is what I assume you mean by "technical") definition of "vegetable" as far as I know. It's not a botanical term. Feel free to look in a dictionary. Here's one, for instance. Or here. Or here. None of the definitions here exclude fruit, and that's just picking the most common online dictionaries.

(And "connotation" doesn't really mean "common meaning." It's the feelings a word or phrase invokes.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 10-30-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Sure, I wouldn't get pedantic about that in that context, either. I might say "Are Reese's okay?" if I'm unsure, but, then I'd also count in other confectionaries that are not strictly candy bars, like, say, granola bars, or individual serving size candies, truffles, etc.

Whoa! Hold the phone! We didn't say anything about granola bars! Your grey area accommodates a whole lot more snacks than I would ever have imagined would be invoked by the mention of "candy bar."

And just for the record, don't go giving out granola bars on Halloween. Unless you live in some insular neighborhood full of health nuts, I think a kid would be pretty pissed off.
You know how some folks get when you try to pass off an oatmeal raisin as a chocolate chip.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
But there really isn't any botanical (which is what I assume you mean by "technical") definition of "vegetable" as far as I know. It's not a botanical term. Feel free to look in a dictionary. Here's one, for instance. Or here. Or here. None of the definitions here exclude fruit, and that's just picking the most common online dictionaries.

(And "connotation" doesn't really mean "common meaning." It's the feelings a word or phrase invokes.)
Exactly. Vegetable is not a botanical term.

Tomatoes are vegetables.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:26 PM

It's not a bar it's a cup. But it doesn't matter, if someone asks me if I'd like a candy bar and it turns out to be a Reese's Peanut Butter cup I wouldn't care in the least. If I offered someone a Peanut Butter Cup and they said it was a bar I'd just suggest they join the Straight Dope. I mean really now, if there's a subject you can't get me to argue about then it's definitely the epitome of irrelevance.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

I polled my classes today on the subject. The results were 62 that Reese's are a candy bar, 81 that they weren't. Then every class asked if I had any that I was giving out.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:00 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
I polled my classes today on the subject. The results were 62 that Reese's are a candy bar, 81 that they weren't. Then every class asked if I had any that I was giving out.
If you had had some to give out, they'd have said they were whichever one you wanted them to be.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

We seem to have cooled down on the candy bar questions. Should we argue over whether or not the United States Court of International Trade should have decided that the X-Men are not human?
Old 11-03-2014, 02:52 PM

I am speechless at the fact that this is a genuinely open question.

I answered "no" but now I have to be aware that many people don't use the language the same way I do in this regard!
Old 11-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Strawberries aren't a fruit, in the botanical sense: The things that people think of as the seeds are the real botanical fruits. The red juicy part is a highly-modified stem.

Hibiscus may only be used in teas, but then, rhubarb is mostly only used in pies and related confections. I've never heard of anyone just munching down on a stalk of raw rhubarb. So limited usefulness clearly isn't a criterion at work here.

And while we're at it on things used in pies, sweet potatoes are also used to make sweet pies. So it seems to me that they're just as much a fruit as rhubarb is.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:28 PM

If I asked my wife to buy a candy bar she knows that I prefer Reese's PB Cups. The shape doesn't matter. It's a candy bar. imho

I'd say candy for jelly beans, peppermint disks or other hard candy, lifesavers, and Starburst.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-03-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:36 PM

I would say it is not a candy bar because it is not a bar. I would also say it is acceptable to refer to it as such anyway.