View Poll Results: Are Reese's Peanut Butter Cups a Candy Bar?
Yes 251 53.63%
No 217 46.37%
Voters: 468. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 11-03-2014, 04:54 PM
spywholoved is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7
"Fruit" is a botanical term, and "vegetable" seems to mean "edible plant part that's not fruit", so doesn't vegetable get botanicalness by the transitive property of Defining Stuff by Exclusion?

Also, not a bar. But whatever floats your boat.
  #152  
Old 11-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Labrador Deceiver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 7,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by spywholoved View Post
"vegetable" seems to mean "edible plant part that's not fruit...
Wrong.
  #153  
Old 11-03-2014, 06:53 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Hibiscus may only be used in teas ...
AIUI, hibiscus is often tucked behind the ear it looks decorative but is actually functional, as a means of pest/parasite control. Not a culinary use, but a valuable use nonetheless.
  #154  
Old 11-03-2014, 07:02 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 27,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
No. It is a candy, but not a candy bar.
Count me as another who knows that this is the way things are.
  #155  
Old 11-03-2014, 08:53 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 85,514
Oh, and soup vs. stew is easy. If you can put it on a plate instead of a bowl, it's stew.
  #156  
Old 11-03-2014, 09:24 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,625
I am kind of surprised that no one has mentioned that peanuts (such as they make the peanut butter in peanut butter cups from) are not a nut.
  #157  
Old 11-03-2014, 09:28 PM
pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 48,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
I am kind of surprised that no one has mentioned that peanuts (such as they make the peanut butter in peanut butter cups from) are not a nut.
Why? It's not relevant to the question (plus it's fairly common knowledge--at least around here.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-03-2014 at 09:29 PM.
  #158  
Old 11-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 41,100
So those who say it's not a bar because it's not shaped like a bar must not dial a phone since the numbers are no longer in a circular configuration.
  #159  
Old 11-03-2014, 09:42 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Why? It's not relevant to the question
The divisions between fruits and vegetables are not very relevant to the question either. Before long, this thread will probably drift into a debate about some random TV show or something.
  #160  
Old 11-03-2014, 09:50 PM
pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 48,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
The divisions between fruits and vegetables are not very relevant to the question either. Before long, this thread will probably drift into a debate about some random TV show or something.
Ah. Already forgot that the fruit-vegetable discussion was part of this topic. Hard to keep track of what thread has what.

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-03-2014 at 09:51 PM.
  #161  
Old 11-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Grrr!'s Avatar
Grrr! is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 16,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
So those who say it's not a bar because it's not shaped like a bar must not dial a phone since the numbers are no longer in a circular configuration.

Quote:
Dial1. call (a telephone number) by turning a disk with numbered holes or pressing a set of buttons.

Quote:
. candy bar - a candy shaped as a bar
Analogy fail.
  #162  
Old 11-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 41,100
Bah! That just means the morphing of the definition of "bar" lags behind the morphing of the definition of "dial." Reese's is still a candy bar, as most Dopers so far agree in the poll.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 11-03-2014 at 09:55 PM.
  #163  
Old 11-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Maserschmidt's Avatar
Maserschmidt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 5,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
This, with one caveat; it is pronounced REEsez, so as to rhyme with pieces. Hence, Reese's Pieces. NOT REEseez, so as to rhyme with feces.

You can call it a candy bar, a disk like confection, or any damned thing else that tickles your fancy, but for the love of sweet chocolate, do not say Reesy's

And the head coach...wants no sissies...
And so he makes us all eat something he calls Rissy's.
  #164  
Old 11-03-2014, 10:03 PM
Hampshire is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 11,134
To qualify as a candy bar you should be able to add "bar" to the name.

Snickers = Snickers bar
MilkyWay = MilkyWay bar
Twix = Twix bar

Reeses Peanutbutter Cup = Reeses Peanutbutter Cup bar?

Aw, hell no! What kind of messedup thinking is that?
  #165  
Old 11-03-2014, 10:09 PM
pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 48,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
To qualify as a candy bar you should be able to add "bar" to the name.

Snickers = Snickers bar
MilkyWay = MilkyWay bar
Twix = Twix bar

Reeses Peanutbutter Cup = Reeses Peanutbutter Cup bar?

Aw, hell no! What kind of messedup thinking is that?
Plus there actually was such a thing as a Reese's Peanut Butter Bar. (I assume the "yes" votes here would simply say both the cup and the bar forms are candy bars. Which I do understand, if that's not how I use the terms myself.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-03-2014 at 10:09 PM.
  #166  
Old 11-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Grrr!'s Avatar
Grrr! is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 16,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Bah! That just means the morphing of the definition of "bar" lags behind the morphing of the definition of "dial." Reese's is still a candy bar, as most Dopers so far agree in the poll.
Reese's PBCs were introduced in 1928. The push button phone was introduced in 1963.

Reese's PBCs has had a 35 year head start yet they've failed to "morph", while the definition of candy bar already has?


Never mind the fact that the company that makes these things calls them PBCs not a candy bar.
  #167  
Old 11-03-2014, 10:17 PM
IvoryTowerDenizen's Avatar
IvoryTowerDenizen is offline
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Shore of LI
Posts: 19,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post

And the head coach...wants no sissies...
And so he makes us all eat something he calls Rissy's.
Nooooooooooooooo!
  #168  
Old 11-03-2014, 11:54 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,625
One description of a "bar" would be a cylindrical extrusion of metal or other hard substance, similar to a "rod"; no specific length is given for what is too short to be a bar, so the PBC could be seen a being a short cross-section of a cylindrical bar, much like a Rolo is.

Or, viewed from the other side, one might think of sitting in a drinking establishment and infer that the word is just shorthand for "barstool".
  #169  
Old 11-04-2014, 08:27 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 85,514
And maybe it's just me, but it seems like the phrase "dial a phone" has been falling out of use lately anyway. It's still used, but it doesn't seem to be used as much.
  #170  
Old 11-04-2014, 06:11 PM
johnpost is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
One description of a "bar" would be a cylindrical extrusion of metal or other hard substance, similar to a "rod"; no specific length is given for what is too short to be a bar, so the PBC could be seen a being a short cross-section of a cylindrical bar, much like a Rolo is.

Or, viewed from the other side, one might think of sitting in a drinking establishment and infer that the word is just shorthand for "barstool".
a cylinder or a cylindrical section has parallel sides.

a PBC is conical or a conical section.
  #171  
Old 11-04-2014, 06:16 PM
TriPolar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 41,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
And maybe it's just me, but it seems like the phrase "dial a phone" has been falling out of use lately anyway. It's still used, but it doesn't seem to be used as much.
My phone has bars.
  #172  
Old 11-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Subterraneanus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,130
It's candy, but it's not a bar. It's a cup. It's also delicious.
  #173  
Old 11-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Mithras is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
My phone has bars.
My first cell phone was a candy bar style Nokia.

It would have been a lot more usable if it was a single piece and not shaped like hockey pucks.
  #174  
Old 11-05-2014, 10:07 AM
Enright3 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
How in the shit is "yes" leading this poll? No it's not a candy bar. In what world is it a candy bar? It's like I'm living in bizarro world or something. Seriously, I'm surprised that a majority of voters consider it a candy bar.
Because to some people (myself included) the term 'candy bar' has moved beyond the definition of the two words individually; and have come to mean something different when used together. i.e. candy, usually covered with chocolate and often containing nuts and caramel.

So, in the technical sense, no it's not a bar. But it wouldn't raise any red flags to me I said "Get me a candy bar, I don't care what kind;" but then was handed a Reese's. I don't think I would dismiss the effort and declare "This is NOT a candy bar!"

And whoever of you that would... I'd think you were being pedantic.
  #175  
Old 11-05-2014, 10:15 AM
pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 48,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post
So, in the technical sense, no it's not a bar. But it wouldn't raise any red flags to me I said "Get me a candy bar, I don't care what kind;" but then was handed a Reese's. I don't think I would dismiss the effort and declare "This is NOT a candy bar!"
Well, no, that'd be rude. But it would not be what I was expecting. I have changed my expectations after seeing this poll and knowing that there is a usage split, and will alter my requests to be more specific when I specifically want a candy bar as opposed to just any chocolate/candy confectionary. Yes, I love Reese's (they are perhaps my favorite confection in the candy bar aisle), but sometimes I don't want to fiddle with the damned things and just want a bar-form candy.

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-05-2014 at 10:15 AM.
  #176  
Old 11-05-2014, 11:09 AM
Grrr!'s Avatar
Grrr! is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 16,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post
Because to some people (myself included) the term 'candy bar' has moved beyond the definition of the two words individually; and have come to mean something different when used together. i.e. candy, usually covered with chocolate and often containing nuts and caramel.

So, in the technical sense, no it's not a bar. But it wouldn't raise any red flags to me I said "Get me a candy bar, I don't care what kind;" but then was handed a Reese's. I don't think I would dismiss the effort and declare "This is NOT a candy bar!"

And whoever of you that would... I'd think you were being pedantic.
This is what's bugging me about this poll. The OP asked a very specific (technical) question. He was asking us to classify what type of candy RPCs are.

If he had asked: "What's your favorite candy bar?" and people responded with "RPCs" I wouldn't have thought nothing of it.

Last edited by Grrr!; 11-05-2014 at 11:09 AM.
  #177  
Old 11-05-2014, 02:10 PM
Yllaria is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Stockton
Posts: 10,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
My phone has bars.
Nice.

Oh, and I have no animosity toward anyone saying that the RPBCs are not bars. You are logically correct, if not semantically correct in all ideolects.

I remember moving from California to Ohio and shocking people with the sloppy way that I used the word coke.
  #178  
Old 11-05-2014, 04:17 PM
Irishman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Denton, TX, USA
Posts: 12,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Peppermint Patty is obviously a character from Peanuts. Which is ironic because the candy involves no peanuts, just coconut. Is coconut a nut? Or a fruit? And what do you call those cacao things? Is chocolate a vegetable or a fruit?
I just came to point out that York Peppermint Patties do not have any coconut in them.
  #179  
Old 11-07-2014, 07:46 AM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 36,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes View Post
This is what's bugging me about this poll. The OP asked a very specific (technical) question. He was asking us to classify what type of candy RPCs are.

If he had asked: "What's your favorite candy bar?" and people responded with "RPCs" I wouldn't have thought nothing of it.
I think what you aren't getting is that, for a lot of us, paragraph one necessarily follows from the acceptance of paragraph two. If a valid response to "What's your favorite candy bar?" is RPC, then RPC must be a candy bar in some sense.

It's essentially the descriptivist/prescriptivist divide. If RPC can be used in a place that asks for a candy bar answer, then it is candy bar, no matter the technical specifications.
  #180  
Old 11-07-2014, 09:09 AM
pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 48,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I think what you aren't getting is that, for a lot of us, paragraph one necessarily follows from the acceptance of paragraph two. If a valid response to "What's your favorite candy bar?" is RPC, then RPC must be a candy bar in some sense.
Yeah, that's interesting. If I asked someone what their favorite candy bar was, and RPC was an answer, I don't think I would think anything of it. But if someone asked me what my favorite candy bar was, I wouldn't even think of RPC. I'd probably answer "Snickers" or "Heath," even though I prefer RPC to both of those. It's not a technical thing; it's just that my brain personally doesn't go there when I think "candy bar."
  #181  
Old 11-07-2014, 10:08 AM
Henryunderborn is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 164
It is not a candy bar. It is a package of candy bites.
It would be like calling splenda, the same as sugar, because it as commonly used for the same purpose.
No. It is a substitute. However, in this case..
The Reeses Peanut Butter cup.. is its own solemn standard.
The case.. is rested.
  #182  
Old 11-07-2014, 10:10 AM
Inner Stickler's Avatar
Inner Stickler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 15,191
Are fun-sized snickers candy bars?
  #183  
Old 11-07-2014, 10:20 AM
pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 48,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
Are fun-sized snickers candy bars?
Personally, for what I think of as a candy bar, no.
  #184  
Old 11-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Henryunderborn is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 164
they are miniaturized candy bars. si senor!
  #185  
Old 11-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Henryunderborn is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 164
The question to ask is, are King Size Peanutbutter cups, candy bars?
  #186  
Old 11-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Grrr!'s Avatar
Grrr! is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 16,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I think what you aren't getting is that, for a lot of us, paragraph one necessarily follows from the acceptance of paragraph two. If a valid response to "What's your favorite candy bar?" is RPC, then RPC must be a candy bar in some sense.

It's essentially the descriptivist/prescriptivist divide. If RPC can be used in a place that asks for a candy bar answer, then it is candy bar, no matter the technical specifications.
I disagree. If I were to ask you to explain to me how a RPC is different from a Snickers, one of the many descriptions on that list would be "A RPC is the shape of a circle and a Snickers is the shape of a bar."
  #187  
Old 11-08-2014, 02:27 AM
captainobvious is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4

The issue of number


Can we treat subject-verb agreement here?
I will assume so. Now let's ask what we ought to ask:
Is Reese's Peanut Butter Cups a candy bar?

Now for those of you who still cling to the lie...
  1. Is the pair of cups one physical object?
  2. If yes, you are wrong. Check your computations.
  3. If no, add the common -s suffix to bar thereby pluralizing the word.
  4. We are now considering multiple cups and bars. Let's simplify by focusing on a single cup-bar.
  5. Now decide whether a single cup is a bar unto itself.
  6. If yes, then vote your conscience (keeping in mind that the question is not whether cups are bars, but whether cups are bar).
  7. If no, then vote no.
TL;DR
Cups is not bar.
  #188  
Old 11-08-2014, 12:50 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,625
Mounds is a candy bar, even though there are two of them.
  #189  
Old 11-09-2014, 12:38 AM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 36,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes View Post
I disagree. If I were to ask you to explain to me how a RPC is different from a Snickers, one of the many descriptions on that list would be "A RPC is the shape of a circle and a Snickers is the shape of a bar."
I don't disagree there. But I still would say that some would say that RPC is a candy bar in the shape of circle, while Snickers has the traditional bar-shape.

As I said in mine, I'm sorta on the fence. I lean towards it being a candy bar, but I can think of some contexts where it would not be.

Last edited by BigT; 11-09-2014 at 12:38 AM.
  #190  
Old 11-09-2014, 05:13 PM
Irishman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Denton, TX, USA
Posts: 12,561
I wouldn't call RPC a "candy bar", but if I told you to get a candy bar and you chose them, I wouldn't question it. If I wanted chocolate candy, I might pick RPC, or I might pick Twix, or I might pick Rolo, or I might pick Snickers.

Snickers is a candy bar.
Twix is actually two candy bars in a package.
Rolo is a package of candy that the package is roughly bar shaped, but the candies themselves are not candy bars.
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are cups, not bars.

Mounds (and Almond Joy) are two candy bars in a package together.

Fun size Snickers and Butterfinger, etc, are candy bars - short candy bars.

Snickers Bites fall on the line. I wouldn't call them "candy bars", but they might be considered really short bars.
  #191  
Old 10-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Quimby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,471
It's Halloween again so I though I would resurrect this discussion. My thinking on the matter has a evolved and although I voted No, I think is it is a candy bar in all ways that matter so it counts.
  #192  
Old 10-12-2015, 12:14 PM
kayT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,246
Well, just to even things out, I apparently voted yes when this first came out, even though I have no memory of doing so, and I would vote no today. So Quimby and I have changed places but the totals remain unchanged.
  #193  
Old 10-12-2015, 12:50 PM
pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 48,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
It's Halloween again...
I honestly checked the date on the computer to make sure I hadn't suffered some sort of stroke. (I'm, sadly, not kidding.) Does "Halloween" just refer to mid-to-late October these days?
  #194  
Old 10-12-2015, 12:58 PM
Quimby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I honestly checked the date on the computer to make sure I hadn't suffered some sort of stroke. (I'm, sadly, not kidding.) Does "Halloween" just refer to mid-to-late October these days?
Halloween Season I guess
  #195  
Old 10-12-2015, 01:09 PM
Just Asking Questions is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Halloween Season I guess
I know. Everyone has their Halloween lights and displays out, and I see groups of people going around singing pumpkin carols.
  #196  
Old 10-12-2015, 03:53 PM
stillownedbysetters is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,162
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are a sublime candy treat, but on the basis of geometry alone, they are not a bar.
  #197  
Old 10-12-2015, 04:22 PM
IvoryTowerDenizen's Avatar
IvoryTowerDenizen is offline
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Shore of LI
Posts: 19,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
It's Halloween again so I though I would resurrect this discussion. My thinking on the matter has a evolved and although I voted No, I think is it is a candy bar in all ways that matter so it counts.
Wow, I'd forgotten how great this thread was. I've been reading almost every post out loud to my husband.

He'd like a word with you all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by stillownedbysetters View Post
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are a sublime candy treat, but on the basis of geometry alone, they are not a bar.
To repeat my favorite line in this thread.... it's functional not geometric definition.

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 10-12-2015 at 04:24 PM.
  #198  
Old 10-12-2015, 04:32 PM
Inner Stickler's Avatar
Inner Stickler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 15,191
Jeezum crow, 2014 Inner Stickler writes terribly.


And they're still a candy bar.
  #199  
Old 10-12-2015, 05:41 PM
Irishman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Denton, TX, USA
Posts: 12,561
Lots of word uses stretch the definition of the word. Does a mini computer you use to send text messages to your cohorts = a phone? Well, it does have the ability to function that way, but it also functions as a web browser, a camera, an email client, and a GPS navigating map.

The term "candy bar" may have been devised off of bar shaped chocolate treats, but the term "candy bar" means to a lot of people a chocolate candy treat, not a rectangular bar. So this is purely a question of how you, in your heart, see things. Is it a geometrical term or a functional term?

Thus the war.

Now butter my toast on the top side, please.
  #200  
Old 10-12-2015, 05:43 PM
pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 48,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Is it a geometrical term or a functional term?
Well, both. And Reese's fail for both reasons.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017