View Poll Results: Are Reese's Peanut Butter Cups a Candy Bar?
Yes 251 53.63%
No 217 46.37%
Voters: 468. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2015, 05:45 PM

Do we make the same distinctions (or lack thereof) for round cookies and bar cookies?

I know I do. If you said, hand me a cookie and there were chocolate chip round cookies and lemon bars on a plate, I'd hand you the choccy chip one. Anyone else?
Old 10-13-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillownedbysetters View Post
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are a sublime candy treat, but on the basis of geometry alone, they are not a bar.
Actually they're not even cups. They're the the contents of cups so . . .

I got nothing.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:48 AM

I have considered the matter carefully over the past year, and have reached the conclusion that the Peanut Butter Cup is actually a form of praline.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Do we make the same distinctions (or lack thereof) for round cookies and bar cookies?

I know I do. If you said, hand me a cookie and there were chocolate chip round cookies and lemon bars on a plate, I'd hand you the choccy chip one. Anyone else?
I know the full term is bar cookie but to me, it's cookies and bars and if you wanted a lemon bar, you need to say, 'Hand me a bar'.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I have considered the matter carefully over the past year, and have reached the conclusion that the Peanut Butter Cup is actually a form of praline.

I can't decide if you're genius or mad as a hatter.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Well, both. And Reese's fail for both reasons.
Reese's isn't chocolate candy?

Quote:

No, cookies can be different shapes.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Reese's isn't chocolate candy?
Of course it is. I was thinking of "functional" in the sense of how I eat them, as I've mentioned before in this thread. A candy bar is easy to eat while doing something active, because of its bar shape. You roll down the wrapper, hold it in one hand, and eat one bite at a time.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:38 AM

Halloween is upon us so I wanted to resurrect (pun?) this thread about this very important question
Old 10-28-2016, 08:17 AM

I asked several people where Reese's ranked in their favorite candy bars and not one questioned their designation as a bar, or a candy for that matter. The question was leading I know.

If language is more about apprehension than diction, which the majority of people will agree to be the case, Reese's is not only a candy, as all confectionary chocolate is, but also a bar.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:35 PM

If tomatoes can be considered a culinary vegetable (as opposed to a botanical vegetable) ...

Peanut butter cups can be considered a culinary candy bar.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMogul View Post

No, cookies can be different shapes.
Cookies are generally blobs of dough that spread out while cooked. Lemon bars are cut out of a sugary lemon matrix. It's a pretty clear distinction. Even if the bars are cut into trapezoids.

However, shortbread Chessman cookies are bar shaped, so are they considered cookie bars?
Old 10-29-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing Idaho Banks View Post
Cookies are generally blobs of dough that spread out while cooked. Lemon bars are cut out of a sugary lemon matrix. It's a pretty clear distinction. Even if the bars are cut into trapezoids.

However, shortbread Chessman cookies are bar shaped, so are they considered cookie bars?
No, they were baked individually, not cut from a larger batch.
Lemon bars, even when round, are still bars, not cookies.
Cookie dough baked as bars and cut is a cookie bar, not a bar cookie.

That's a whole different conversation than the candy bar thing. I am eating a Reese's right now, since I don't expect a lot of trick-or-treaters and it will be hours til dinner, and if someone asked me I'd say I'm having a candy bar. 2 years and I still vote yes.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:59 PM

Does nobody but me remember the old TV commercials with the jingle "You get two great tastes in one candy bar"?

If Reese's Peanut Butter Cups self-identify as bars, we need to respect that.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:15 AM

Resurrecting this for the time of candy is once again upon us.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpost View Post
it is a candy. it is not a bar (uniform cross-section smaller than its length).

it is a candy conical section.
A candy frustrum, if you will.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Peppermint Patty is obviously a character from Peanuts. Which is ironic because the candy involves no peanuts, just coconut. Is coconut a nut? Or a fruit? And what do you call those cacao things? Is chocolate a vegetable or a fruit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
I just came to point out that York Peppermint Patties do not have any coconut in them.
Given the frequency with which Sparky Schulzís depictions carried the implication that he considered it a vile substance, itís probably safe to assume that Peanutsís Peppermint Patty also seldom had coconut inside, and then only accidentally.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Resurrecting this for the time of candy is once again upon us.
Itís the Halloween version of the Rudolph thread!
Old 10-09-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
Technically no, but for all intents and purposes that matter yes, so yes.
Technically no, for all intents and purposes yes, so no.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:51 AM

If not asked already, would the Reese's peanut butter cup sell better or worse as a bar?

Who remembers the original commercials for it?
Old 10-10-2017, 07:04 AM

Reese's PBCs are just flattened buckeyes. In comparison, they are certainly more like a candy bar, but in my view that doesn't mean they are.

In the three years this thread has been extant, I note that a relevant question remains unasked: Is a Sugar Daddy a candy bar? According to some definitions ( general shape; hold in one hand, steer with the other) it is. What say the Teeming Millions?
Old 10-10-2017, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

”You got your Great Debate in my Cafe Society topic!”

“Well, you got your Cafe Society topic in my Great Debate!”
Old 10-10-2017, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olentzero View Post
Reese's PBCs are just flattened buckeyes. In comparison, they are certainly more like a candy bar, but in my view that doesn't mean they are.

In the three years this thread has been extant, I note that a relevant question remains unasked: Is a Sugar Daddy a candy bar? According to some definitions ( general shape; hold in one hand, steer with the other) it is. What say the Teeming Millions?
A Sugar Daddy is a lollipop. Note the paper stick on which the toffee is mounted
Old 10-10-2017, 07:26 AM

Yet it is shaped like a candy bar. And though caramel is pretty much pure sugar, it's not sugar in the form most lollipops take. So is the stick the only thing that would define it as a lollipop?
Old 10-10-2017, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

I’m gonna have to say no, lest some smartass accuse me of thinking that a corndog is a lollipop.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

And I feel a Sugar Daddy is too darn THIN to be considered truly “bar”-shaped. As is an Abba-Zabba, and a Big Hunk, both of which I think of as “strips.”

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 10-10-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:28 AM

What the hell else is it? A health food?
Old 10-10-2017, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Iím gonna have to say no, lest some smartass accuse me of thinking that a corndog is a lollipop.
Well, a Reese's is made of candy, as is a lollipop, but a corn dog isn't. To me, the only sticking point is whether or not it can be called a "bar."
Old 10-11-2017, 01:06 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlueYonder View Post
If not asked already, would the Reese's peanut butter cup sell better or worse as a bar?

Who remembers the original commercials for it?
Are those the ones where it shows how they supposedly came up with the idea? When one guy accidentally stuck his chocolate bar inside another's jar of peanute butter?

Of course Reese's is a candy bar. What sort of morn thinks otherwise?
Old 10-31-2018, 03:17 PM

Just under the wire I wanted to repost this important question for Halloween.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Has it occurred to anyone that the key requirement of the 'bar' shape is for packaging and not eating? Candy bars are confectionaries sold in rectangular packages of a certain size, designed to fit into vending machines, display counters, etc. From a manufacturing/shipping/retail standpoint, a 'candy bar' is anything that will fit within certain standard dimensions. You expect to find 'candy bars' near the checkout in grocery stores, or in candy bar vending machines.

By that definition, the 'bar' can be anything from a single bar of chocolate to a bar-shaped box of individual candies, to a rectangular package of peanut butter cups. They are ALL 'candy bars' as far as the retail side of the industry is concerned.

And I think people pick up on that. As others have said, no one would bat an eye if they asked for a candy bar and were handed a package of peanut butter cups. And no one would be surprised to be see a box of smarties or M&M's in a 'candy bar' vending machine.

The idea that the only reason for the 'bar' shape is to be able to hold it while eating it sounds like a rationalization for an arbitrary classification.

So.. Candy Bar == a confection in single serving size, typically in a package of rectangular dimension of a roughly standard size that can fit in the typical type of display for a candy bar, that can be found in the same location as other candy bars, and usually for the same price as other candy bars. Within that framework, there is a wide variety of confections from licorice to chocolate that can qualify. But if it looks like a candy bar, and it's found with candy bars, and it costs the same as candy bars - it's a candy bar.

As for being able to hoid it and eat it at the same time... First, that seems arbitrary, and second it doesn't hold for lots of things we woud consider 'candy bars'. For example, I don't think many people eat Caramilk 'bars' like a bar. Rather, they break off the little chocolate pouches of caramel and eat them separately. Lots of 'bars' are eaten that way. If Caramilk bars came with the little pouches fully separated instead of having a thin link of chocolate between them, but were still packaged the same way, would they stop being candy bars, despite being identical in content?
Old 10-31-2018, 05:03 PM

what abut the forthcoming "thin" reeses ?

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/201...r-cups-smaller
https://www.businessinsider.com/thin...cklash-2018-10

Last edited by nightshadea; 10-31-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
Has it occurred to anyone that the key requirement of the 'bar' shape is for packaging and not eating? Candy bars are confectionaries sold in rectangular packages of a certain size, designed to fit into vending machines, display counters, etc. From a manufacturing/shipping/retail standpoint, a 'candy bar' is anything that will fit within certain standard dimensions. You expect to find 'candy bars' near the checkout in grocery stores, or in candy bar vending machines.

By that definition, the 'bar' can be anything from a single bar of chocolate to a bar-shaped box of individual candies, to a rectangular package of peanut butter cups. They are ALL 'candy bars' as far as the retail side of the industry is concerned.
I disagree. Just because they fit into a vending machine doesn't make them a candy bar. Vending machines selling candy bars also sell bags of chips, gum packages, and donut type products (donuts, honeybuns), even cookies.

Plus, candy bars have now been max-sixed to be larger than a vending machine can sell.

In short, vending machines are irrelevant to the classification. Retail placement near store registers in display racks is irrelevant.

I think a box of junior mints, for instance, is not a candy bar. Reese's peanut butter cups are a gray area borderline case, but Reese's Pieces are not a candy bar, unless they're the newfangled pieces inside cups, which once again is that borderline case.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:20 PM

Nah. I'd suspect that if you think that's a "candy bar" you'd probably think York Peppermint Patties are a "candy bar". The shape is wrong, and the structure is really not strong and dense enough for me to consider it a "bar." I think the shape is important, but not as important as the density. Like, a round shaped butterfinger would be closer to a "candy bar" than a peanut butter cup.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:28 PM

I hadn't seen this topic before today. People think Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are a candy bar?

Weird.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

If someone says "Let's stop here, I want to get a candy bar" and walks out with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, would you say "Hey, what happened to going to get a candy bar?"

You might say that if they came out with a box of Good N Plenty, or Twizzlers, but with RPBC? I think not.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
If someone says "Let's stop here, I want to get a candy bar" and walks out with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, would you say "Hey, what happened to going to get a candy bar?"

You might say that if they came out with a box of Good N Plenty, or Twizzlers, but with RPBC? I think not.
Reese's Peanut Butter Bar

Aaaaaaaannnnnnnnd, I think we are done here.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post

If it's not at my local Piggly Wiggly*, it's not a legitimate candy bar.

In the hierarchy of confections, can I convince you to at least give RPBC a dotted line to 'candy bar'?

*I've never been in a Piggly Wiggly, but I like the name.

Suck it, Winn Dixie!
Old 11-02-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
If it's not at my local Piggly Wiggly*, it's not a legitimate candy bar.

In the hierarchy of confections, can I convince you to at least give RPBC a dotted line to 'candy bar'?
If I do that, it will result in two people agreeing to something on the Internet, possibly causing a rip in space-time.

So no! I reject your dotted-line compromise!!!

Last edited by manson1972; 11-02-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:56 PM
SDSAB

It's candy, but not a bar. So no.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

"You got your designation in my appellation!"

"Well, you got your appellation in my designation!"
Old 11-05-2018, 05:11 PM

4 years, and sanity STILL hasn't prevailed?!?!
Old 11-05-2018, 08:59 PM
SDSAB

Quote:

Hardly. Quill is an office-supply company. Calling it a peanut butter wildebeest or a peanut butter protostar does not make it so.

You will note that the word "bar" does not appear on the candy's wrapper.

Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 11-05-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:

That is a completely different product than the cup. They are a grid of PB filled squares.
https://www.amazon.com/REESES-Giant-...nut+butter+bar

Here is a clearer picture.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:55 PM

I voted no, but since yes is winning I guess I can start calling my gold coins gold bars! I feel much richer now!
Old 11-08-2018, 11:25 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krondys View Post
4 years, and sanity STILL hasn't prevailed?!?!
Sanity has prevailed, as the poll majority shows the correct anwser of yes.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:32 AM

Polls predicted Clinton winning.

Just sayin'

Old 11-09-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Hardly. Quill is an office-supply company. Calling it a peanut butter wildebeest or a peanut butter protostar does not make it so.

You will note that the word "bar" does not appear on the candy's wrapper.
I can buy candy at Office Depot too.

And "bar" does not appear on the wrapper of a Peanut Butter Cup either.

Now I'm off to eat some M&M candy bars

Old 10-28-2019, 07:44 AM

Another Halloween, another reposting of this important question...
Old 10-28-2019, 08:03 AM

And another urgent request that everyone learn to pronounce it correctly.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
And another urgent request that everyone learn to pronounce it correctly.
What's the incorrect way?