Old 11-27-2016, 05:15 PM
SDSAB

Trudeau is mocked for praising the late Fidel Castro: http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/27/world/...ody/index.html
Old 11-27-2016, 05:25 PM

If Canada is unhappy with Justin Trudeau, please send him down here.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Fossil fuel tax may make sense if you live in an area with decent public transportation. My house is in an area with no public transportation. I work in an area with no public transportation. I have no options. Anyway, it's all just nickel and diming me to death, and I'm bitter for other reasons at this point in life.

(And it has nothing to do with the hockey game last night.)
For what its worth, I expect that the carbon tax is one of the things that's going to disappear, when the Trump administration comes into power. While there is no reason that they cant push it on their own iniative, I expect that its going to be pushed back until it falls off the radar.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Trudeau is mocked for praising the late Fidel Castro: http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/27/world/...ody/index.html
I am not outraged. In fact, to date none of Trudeau's scandals have caused more than a raised eyebrow here. Of course he said nice things about Castro. That is what people do when discussing the recently deceased even if it is widely acknowledged that said deceased really was an asshole.

I find it hypocritical of the US to be saying "I'm glad he's dead, those human rights down there are horrible!" while simultaneously using water cannons and rubber bullets on peaceful protesters. "Let those people out of jail" screams the nation with the highest per-capita prison population of anywhere. It's worthless for the US to bemoan the fate of political prisoners in Cuba while keeping political prisoners in Cuba! Confucius say "man who live in glass house... should change in basement."
Old 11-28-2016, 07:24 AM

There are nice things to say about someone and actively praising their record, which is what Trudeau did. Obama's statement was more typical of good diplomacy. Trudeau's was borderline fellating a dead body.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Most people I know don't care about his remarks. It's just the conservatives trying to manifest scandals. It didn't work with his hair, his name, his youth, or any other of his missteps. And it's not working with this either.

Remaarkably transparent manufactured tempest in a teapot, is how most of my friends view the whole affair. Meh.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:23 AM

Of course liberals don't care. Their outrage over Castro was similarly lackadaisical.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
Of course liberals don't care. Their outrage over Castro was similarly lackadaisical.
Canadians don't care mostly, not just the liberal ones. As that CNN article notes Canadians make up the majority of Cubas tourists and we've had unbbroken diplomatic relations since 1945. And Canadians probably universally don't give a crap about Rubio and Cruz's reaction. Just like they will promptly forget Trudeau's name a week from now.

Last edited by CarnalK; 11-28-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMarch View Post
That is what people do when discussing the recently deceased even if it is widely acknowledged that said deceased really was an asshole.
I read Trudeau's statement as a fluff piece. Not a great piece of writing, just "think of something nice to say about the dead guy" made as an off-hand gesture in the middle of the OIF conference.

Obama's was much better, but it was an actual prepared statement.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Fossil fuel tax may make sense if you live in an area with decent public transportation. My house is in an area with no public transportation. I work in an area with no public transportation. I have no options. Anyway, it's all just nickel and diming me to death, and I'm bitter for other reasons at this point in life.
You live in an area too remote or too small for public services, and you're complaining that things are unavailable or expensive. I guess Hydro One put a gun to your head and made you live in the sticks. Either that, or you believe that I should be subsidizing your electricity delivery charges even though I chose to not live on Mars.

Things in remote places are expensive.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Getting back to the question in the OP, The Economist thinks that Trudeau is doing well:

Liberty moves north: It is uniquely fortunate in many ways—but Canada still holds lessons for other Western countries

(Note that the article was written before the US election, so refers to both Trump and Clinton as possible President.)

Quote:
Who will uphold the torch of openness in the West? Not America’s next president. Donald Trump, the grievance-mongering Republican nominee, would build a wall on Mexico’s border and rip up trade agreements. Hillary Clinton, the probable winner on November 8th, would be much better on immigration, but she has renounced her former support for ambitious trade deals. Britain, worried about immigrants and globalisation, has voted to march out of the European Union. Angela Merkel flung open Germany’s doors to refugees, then suffered a series of political setbacks. Marine Le Pen, a right-wing populist, is the favourite to win the first round of France’s presidential election next year.

In this depressing company of wall-builders, door-slammers and drawbridge-raisers, Canada stands out as a heartening exception. It happily admits more than 300,000 immigrants a year, nearly 1% of its population—a higher proportion than any other big, rich country—and has done so for two decades. Its charismatic prime minister, Justin Trudeau, who has been in office a year, has welcomed some 33,000 Syrian refugees, far more than America has. Bucking the protectionist mood, Canada remains an eager free-trader. It was dismayed by the EU’s struggle to overcome a veto by Walloons on signing a “comprehensive” trade agreement that took seven years to negotiate (see page 38). Under Mr Trudeau, Canada is trying to make amends for its shameful treatment of indigenous peoples, and is likely to become the first Western country to legalise recreational cannabis on a national level.
The second lesson is the value of knowing when fiscal austerity does more harm than good. Canada has been managing its public finances conservatively for the past 20 years or so. Now in charge of a sluggish economy, Mr Trudeau can afford to give growth a modest lift by spending extra money on infrastructure. His government has given a tax cut to the middle class and raised rates for the highest earners to help pay for it. These economic policies deserve to “go viral”, the head of the IMF has said. Canada has a further economic lesson to impart in how it protects people hurt by globalisation. Compared with America, its publicly financed health system lessens the terror of losing a job; it also provides more financial support and training to people who do. And its policy of “equalisation” gives provincial and local governments the means to maintain public services at a uniform level across the country.

Perhaps most important, this mixture of policies—liberal on trade and immigration, activist in shoring up growth and protecting globalisation’s losers—is a reminder that the centrist formula still works, if politicians are willing to champion it. Instead of folding in the face of opposition to liberal policies, Mr Trudeau and his ministers have instead made the case for them. Although free trade is not the hot-button issue in Canada that it is in America, they have been tireless in listening to critics and trying to take their concerns into account.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
A New Yorker humorist warns of the risk of increased American immigration due to a Trudeau photo: http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borow...refugee-crisis
Just wait till Trudeau starts giving hair-care tips to The Donald...
Old 11-28-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Dickens View Post
You live in an area too remote or too small for public services, and you're complaining that things are unavailable or expensive. I guess Hydro One put a gun to your head and made you live in the sticks. Either that, or you believe that I should be subsidizing your electricity delivery charges even though I chose to not live on Mars.

Things in remote places are expensive.
Hardly fair at all. There are always circumstances that come up - family or job being the biggest drivers in effectively pushing people to go where ideally they never would. And that leaves aside the people that simply can't take living in a a city.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Hardly fair at all. There are always circumstances that come up - family or job being the biggest drivers in effectively pushing people to go where ideally they never would. And that leaves aside the people that simply can't take living in a a city.
Great. That explains why someone would live in the sticks, it doesn't explain why they're justified complaining about the cost of living in the sticks.

Living somewhere remote and expecting it to have the same services of the city with the same cost shows a worrying lack of understanding of the infrastructure of civilization.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:15 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahcim View Post
...Obama's was much better, but it was an actual prepared statement.
Here it is: https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...g-fidel-castro
Old 11-29-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
Most people I know don't care about his remarks. It's just the conservatives trying to manifest scandals. It didn't work with his hair, his name, his youth, or any other of his missteps. And it's not working with this either.

Remaarkably transparent manufactured tempest in a teapot, is how most of my friends view the whole affair. Meh.
This nails it as far as I can see.

The "usual suspects" are the ones making a big deal of it. Essentially those supporters of the Conservative Party of Canada, who have been trying desperately to smear Trudeau ever since he was elected as an MP. They hate him with the passion of a thousand burning suns and he will never, NEVER do anything right. It has driven them slightly insane that he punted their Dear Leader Harper out of power.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

They're trying every play from the Republican playbook. If we SAY it's a scandal long and loud enough, it WILL be! Not gonna happen, I'm afraid.

So he said some unduly kind things over a dead guy. We're a very polite people, we're cool with it.

It's kinda amusing to watch them try though!
Old 11-29-2016, 05:15 PM

It's like the conservative party of Canada has somehow forgotten that we have had normal relations with the government of Cuba for 45 years. There are flights there. There are Canadian business interests there. Canadian tourists go there regularly. There are not a lot of South Florida ex-pats living in Canada.

So Trudeau did not scream that Castro was a bastard after he died. We'll get over it.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:17 PM
BANNED

Trudeau; a disgrace to the Free World that fought to rape the kind of Communism Castro promoted and engaged in. Canada, you can keep him while he continues to praise communists and lets this continent become more Islamic with those refugees!
Old 11-29-2016, 05:51 PM

The Free World fought to rape Castro Communism. And Trudeau cockblocks the Free World. I don't know which side I'm on anymore!
Old 11-29-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekMichaels00 View Post
Trudeau; a disgrace to the Free World that fought to rape the kind of Communism Castro promoted and engaged in. Canada, you can keep him while he continues to praise communists and lets this continent become more Islamic with those refugees!
Like living over a meth lab.

I miss Robin Williams.

Last edited by Grey; 11-29-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Great. That explains why someone would live in the sticks, it doesn't explain why they're justified complaining about the cost of living in the sticks.

Living somewhere remote and expecting it to have the same services of the city with the same cost shows a worrying lack of understanding of the infrastructure of civilization.
Everything's a tradeoff. Property is cheap in the sticks, as are property taxes. Communications and travel is expensive.

In big cities folks love to bitch about the cost of housing and taxes but forget about the cheap comms, travel, public transport, etc.

Everybody takes for granted the good parts & whines about the bad parts of wherever & however they live.

Nothing much to see here either.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
We will. Have fun with your Nazis.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
While I may not agree with what Trudeau said, I think it's miles ahead of someone who uses "rape" approvingly as a political metaphor.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 11-29-2016 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:28 AM
Mod Rocker

Moderating

Quote:
You might want to review your posts for coherence before hitting "Submit." If the Free World was trying to rape Communism, that does not speak well of (your idea of) the Free World.

That said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Like living over a meth lab.
Do not hurl personal insults at posters outside The BBQ Pit.

[ /Moderating ]
Old 11-30-2016, 06:36 AM
Mod Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
As opposed to (a number of) conservatives who spent the last decades reacting in horror, horror I say, over the mere existence of the leader of one small country who stopped promoting revolution decades ago.
I'll take lackadaisical over manufactured hysteria.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Er, um, "Being a Canadian these days is .....like living over a meth lab!", is a currently popular meme in Canada and meant as humour.

I'm not seeing anyway for it to be interpreted as a PERSONAL insult. Who was it personally directed at?

Any chance the moderation is a titch amiss here? (Just asking!)
Old 11-30-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb View Post
As opposed to (a number of) conservatives who spent the last decades reacting in horror, horror I say, over the mere existence of the leader of one small country who stopped promoting revolution decades ago.
I'll take lackadaisical over manufactured hysteria.
Are the people he had killed less dead since he stopped promoting revolution decades ago?
Ya know who else stopped promoting revolution decades ago? Stalin - should he get a pass since that too was decades ago? What difference – at this point, what difference does it make?
Old 11-30-2016, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
Er, um, "Being a Canadian these days is .....like living over a meth lab!", is a currently popular meme in Canada and meant as humour.
I did not know that. A fine metaphor. Thank you.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

I've opened an ATMB thread to ask for clarification: Williams quote a personal insult?
Old 11-30-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
Everything's a tradeoff. Property is cheap in the sticks, as are property taxes. Communications and travel is expensive.

In big cities folks love to bitch about the cost of housing and taxes but forget about the cheap comms, travel, public transport, etc.
I guess the city-slicker equivalent is, "you think a $200000 salary makes you rich, but try living on that in NYC or LA!" Well, then just move somewhere cheaper if it doesn't work for you.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
You live in an area too remote or too small for public services, and you're complaining that things are unavailable or expensive. I guess Hydro One put a gun to your head and made you live in the sticks.
He was pranked -- a buddy connected his meter to da Swisha's mains.

More seriously, for homeowners in the sticks, there's a lot to be said for insulation and alternative energy production.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

@leachim

If you can move and keep the salary that's certainly the best choice financially.

Some people can pull that off. Usually folks who work online and don't need close personal contacts to line up their next gig. Otherwise the $200K e.g. lawyer finds he's earning $50K after he moves to the country.

I work for a Fortune 500 and live around Miami. Miami is hardly the cheapest of the sticks, but my employer would pay me exactly the same wages to live in San Francisco or Boston or NYC. I live much better here on the same W2. Actually on more take-home since unlike those locations I don't have state income taxes.

Last edited by LSLGuy; 11-30-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
I work for a Fortune 500 and live around Miami. Miami is hardly the cheapest of the sticks, but my employer would pay me exactly the same wages to live in San Francisco or Boston or NYC. I live much better here on the same W2. Actually on more take-home since unlike those locations I don't have state income taxes.
Yeah, I used to live in Santa Fe, NM and was making about 2/3 of my current salary and was just raking in the dough. Currently I work in NYC (and live upstate) and while the money is nice, it's not spectacular.

The point is, there are tradeoffs, and folks tend to forget what comes easy in various locations when complaining about what comes hard. Especially when forming sentences that start with "You shouldn't tax <x> because".
Old 04-01-2017, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

How's Trudeau doing, Canada?

Pretty well, it appears.

Justin Trudeau would win another federal election tomorrow: Ipsos poll

Quote:
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau‘s approval rating has dropped somewhat over the past year and a half, but it remains the envy of most world leaders, according to a new Ipsos poll conducted on behalf of Global News.

The poll found that over half of Canadians (56 per cent) continue to approve of the Liberal government, down from 61 per cent since the New Year. Disapproval of Trudeau’s performance climbed five points up to 44 per cent.

Thirty-nine per cent of decided voters would cast a ballot for the Liberals if an election were held tomorrow, while the Conservatives would win 32 per cent of the vote and the NDP 20 per cent — virtually identical to the results of the 2015 federal election, the survey found.
It must be the hair. Which doesn't bode well for Kevin O'Leary.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:24 AM

I'm very glad to see Leitch sliding in the Conservative leadership polls. I'm concerned that O'Leary is doing so well. There seems to be more than a few people in Canada who want a Trump-like leader and were looking to Leitch and/or O'Leary to provide such a direction. Leitch mainly on immigration and O'Leary as a political outsider/"successful" businessman. If O'Leary takes the leadership it will be an interesting test for Canada. I hope we pass.

For the record, I'm not anti-Conservative party. I tend to be a very independent voter. I've voted both PC and Liberal in the past but I would never vote for Leitch or O'Leary.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with Trudeau. My main concern right now is that the deficit is climbing (that by itself is ok) but it is unclear to me what we're getting for it.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:17 AM

It's the degree that's climbing. As a mostly conservativ e voter (I've voted Liberal, federally before, but never provincially) I'd be happy with Maxime Bernier as head of the Conservatives. No Leitch or O'Leary for me.

Sent from my adequate mobile device using Tapatalk.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:18 AM

Ah, that should say debt, not degree. Tapatalk....

Old 04-02-2017, 11:21 AM

I don't hate Trudeau. He seems like a nice guy and sll, (certainly not an asshole, like some other ... cough .. countries have elected) but Garneau would have been a much better choice.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
It's the degree that's climbing. As a mostly conservativ e voter (I've voted Liberal, federally before, but never provincially) I'd be happy with Maxime Bernier as head of the Conservatives. No Leitch or O'Leary for me.

I think it is both deficit and debt. I'm willing to cut him some slack on the 1st year deficit because I think Harper was overestimating income to make the books look more balanced.

I'm fine with spending a lot of money but I want the country to get something out of that puts on solid footing for the future. In particular, one of things I approved of when voting for Trudeau was that we were going to get our infrastructure fixed. Cool, I'm down for that. We know that for decades politicians have been ignoring infrastructure because it is expensive to fix and they didn't want it on their record. So I applaud the bravery of a politician who says, in effect, "We need to spend this money that we should have been spending all along to fix our infrastructure." If we spend all of this money and we don't get improved infrastructure out of it, I'm going to be a very upset voter. The latest budget did have a lot of spending on infrastructure, just have to wait and see what the results are.

Also, Trudeau is spending a lot of money on training and innovation and I strongly approve of this. We know that the automation era is here so spending money on training people to fill the types of jobs that will exist in the future is a sensible investment.

So yeah, overall, I'm reasonably happy. Come election time I'll be looking to see if the money was well spent or not though. If I think he's set Canada on the path into the future that's a big plus to me. If I feel like it has been squandered, especially the infrastructure spending, that will be a big minus because we would then still need to spend even more money to fix our infrastructure.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:39 AM

When I was in the Canadian Forces, one of my commanding officers used to say quite often "We need to be good stewards of the public's money." And he really lived it, he didn't want to have to approve any expenses in advance but when any amount of money was spent over a certain amount (and it wasn't that much but I don't recall the exact number) he wanted a report on how, why and what steps were taken to reduce cost. Not a big report just a one page memo. Anyway, that really stuck with me. That's I want out of our politicians when it comes to spending. To be good stewards of the public's money.

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 04-02-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:55 AM
BANNED

Thank goodness I don't live there. Any country that has a leader that sings the praises of a murdering dictator such as Fidel Castro is not a strong leader, nor a moral one. I hope the Canucks who voted him into office are happy with that left-wing extremist.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletKnight View Post
Thank goodness I don't live there. Any country that has a leader that sings the praises of a murdering dictator such as Fidel Castro is not a strong leader, nor a moral one. I hope the Canucks who voted him into office are happy with that left-wing extremist.
Welcome aboard. Where do you live, and are you happy with your country's leadership?

Old 04-02-2017, 12:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Welcome aboard. Where do you live, and are you happy with your country's leadership?

The United States. Yes.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepKillBeep View Post
I'm very glad to see Leitch sliding in the Conservative leadership polls. I'm concerned that O'Leary is doing so well. There seems to be more than a few people in Canada who want a Trump-like leader and were looking to Leitch and/or O'Leary to provide such a direction. Leitch mainly on immigration and O'Leary as a political outsider/"successful" businessman. If O'Leary takes the leadership it will be an interesting test for Canada. I hope we pass.

For the record, I'm not anti-Conservative party. I tend to be a very independent voter. I've voted both PC and Liberal in the past but I would never vote for Leitch or O'Leary.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with Trudeau. My main concern right now is that the deficit is climbing (that by itself is ok) but it is unclear to me what we're getting for it.
Agreed on all points. I think Trudeau is well past the point now where anyone could accuse him of just being a "name" -- I think he's demonstrated real leadership in the principles he's set on matters like science, climate, gender equality, and human rights, and he's restored international respect for Canada that Harper had so badly tarnished. There's more than I can remember offhand, but maybe the most important at this early stage is that he's reversed many of Harper's most damaging actions, like the muzzling of federal scientists and trashing the environment; he's reversed Harper's ill-considered cancellation of the important long-form census, and scuttled the ill-advised plan to increase the eligibility age for social security, and much else that Harper had done that's all too easy to forget. With the turmoil going on in Europe (and don't even get me started about the US) Trudeau has emerged as a unique icon of enlightened progressivism among the G20.

I certainly agree with you about Leitch, who gives me the creeps. Her "Canadian values" thing sounds like a manifesto from the Republican Freedom Caucus; she doesn't even try to hide her bigotry. And I say this as someone who, like you, has in the past voted both Liberal and Conservative, and in fact NDP on occasion, too.

As for O'Leary, my problem here is that I'm stuck with this imagery of him that comes from his appearances on Dragon's Den -- if a presenter had a bad idea, no one could dispense an insult as scathingly as O'Leary! I'm sorry, I know I should take him more seriously, but I just can't shake this image of him as a sort of lovable Oscar the Grouch. But it's OK, I'd still never vote for him.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba Fred View Post
Are the people he had killed less dead since he stopped promoting revolution decades ago?
Ya know who else stopped promoting revolution decades ago? Stalin - should he get a pass since that too was decades ago? What difference – at this point, what difference does it make?
Fidel should've gotten a pass on all of that, because:
1. It was a long time ago.
2. He merely killed tens of thousands, not millions, like most massacres perpetrated by left-wing loonies in the 20th century.
3. A lot of them were gay anyway.
4. It was a long time ago.
5. Justin loves Fidel, therefore Fidel is good!
6. Long time ago.

Last edited by negono; 04-02-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:51 PM
BANNED

Justin Trudeau has been an unmitigated disaster for Canada. His atrocious treatment of women is absolutely abhorrent.
He visited a mosque, where women were forced to watch him from balcony not being permitted on the main floor.
Subsequently, he was questioned about this open and blatant discrimination.
While watching him speak, his reaction can be summed up thusly:
"Must champion women! Must champion brown people! These brown people do not champion women! But they are brown and therefore wonderful! Must criticize right wing ideology! But Muslims have most right wing ideology in the world! Must not criticize ideology of the brown! But these brown do not champion women! Must champion women! What to do? Underpowered liberal brain overloading!"

Last edited by negono; 04-02-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:30 PM

Trudeau isn't a leader, but an entitled name/smile. Nonetheless most Canadians are (and will continue to be) satisfied with his tepid governance. This will change when/if the Tories get a well respected leader and the Libs get bogged down in scandal.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcenio View Post
Trudeau isn't a leader, but an entitled name/smile. Nonetheless most Canadians are (and will continue to be) satisfied with his tepid governance. This will change when/if the Tories get a well respected leader and the Libs get bogged down in scandal.
I'm all for electing any party with a well-respected leader. If the Tories got one I'd evaluate him or her on their merits. One of the main motivators for many people to vote for a particular party is having a well-respected leader, and guess what -- that's why the Liberals won: because -- to quote Monty Python -- they already got one! Bummer for you that you don't like him, but that's life. The further slight problem with your logic is that (a) I don't see any scandals on the horizon, and (b) I don't see any "well respected leader" anywhere within a country mile of the Tories. All I see is are raving bigots like Leitch and unqualified mercenaries like O'Leary.

But perhaps the problem is that Canadians are just incredibly stupid. Yes, that must be it. Look at this, if you can believe it:
Justin Trudeau would win another federal election tomorrow: Ipsos poll
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau‘s approval rating has dropped somewhat over the past year and a half, but it remains the envy of most world leaders, according to a new Ipsos poll conducted on behalf of Global News. The poll found that over half of Canadians (56 per cent) continue to approve of the Liberal government, down from 61 per cent since the New Year.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3350202/tr...ng-ipsos-poll/
That drop, by the way, is quite normal following the conventional honeymoon period.

So obviously Canadians must be really stupid. That probably explains why the Liberal party both federally and provincially has traditionally been so strong, and in many provinces even the leftist NDP has held power. Indeed it was the even more leftist predecessor of the NDP in Saskatchewan that inflicted on all Canadians the curse of single-payer health care, so that every Canadian resident is guaranteed all medically necessary health care whether he likes it or not. Bloody socialism! That's one of the main reasons Tommy Douglas is widely regarded as "the greatest Canadian". Geez, Canadians are dumb!

But the former Tory leader Steven Harper has a legacy, too -- the guy who was kicked out of power and then ignominiously slunk away from politics altogether. Just like Tommy Douglas' "Greatest Canadian", or Pierre Trudeau remembered in so many ways, including the Pierre Trudeau International Airport in Montreal, Stephen Harper will be remembered in the following enduring sentiment: "Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out".
Old 04-02-2017, 05:37 PM

No, Canadians aren't stupid. Please don't put those words in my mouth. Harper lost because of his scandal ridden government and Trudeau won due to his respectability.

And guess what....Ultimately these are the reasons why we will vote out the Libs. Canadians never elect a new government out of fear mongering (Islamophobia is red meat of the Tory base, but a dead end for electoral victory), we simply make our choice and stick with it until 1. they piss us off and 2. the government in waiting appears ready.