Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 12-20-2016, 04:32 PM
Johnny L.A. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 61,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
[clueless old guy] Exploder says? I don't see anyone named Exploder in this thread. Are you sure you're in the right thread? Or are you talking about a missing blanket? I'll go turn the thermostat up. I'm always cold these days.[/clueless old guy]
MS Explorer. When highlighting the text I want to delete from a quote, Explorer -- or 'Exploder', as I call it -- likes to disregard my wishes and take out things I don't want taken out, such as the closing bracket on '[quote=Exapno Mapcase]'. It made it '[quote=Exapno Mapcase', causing me to go back to edit the post.
  #52  
Old 12-21-2016, 02:26 AM
SlackerInc's Avatar
SlackerInc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 12,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
You mean like the version where it won an Oscar for Best Original Song in the musical Neptune's Daughter? (Which takes place in summer in Florida - so it most definitely is not cold outside.)

ETA: they did the song twice in that film - with genders flipped. The link shows both.
That's a great pair of clips--thanks! I had always heard it first became famous in that movie (after having been a thing the song's writer and his wife performed at parties), but never saw it before.

Early on in the first clip, although I had to get used to Mr. Roarke/Corinthian leather/Khan as the male lead, I was really digging how the woman was singing. This is what I always think they should be doing. Not diva-ing it up, trying to make it into some big torch song, but talk-singing in this style. However, I did think as it went on they kind of messed some of it up. Why doesn't he actually pour her a drink while she gets a record? Why does he open the curtains for the "storm outside" and then immediately close them? (Why, from what you are telling me, did they even use this in a movie set in summer in Florida?!?)

The second one was just...wild. So interesting that they did this role reversal way back there in '49. Actually, the whole thing seemed rather risque physically for that era. I mean, if you go back to films like Double Indemnity a few years before this, there was some very hot talk, in the form of double entendres and such. But I don't remember seeing a '40s movie with as much physical touching above the knee and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
I'm rather fond of the Jimmy Fallon/Cecily Strong version from SNL, where, after the loving, he's trying to convince her to leave and she wants to stay.
When I followed the link, the title suggested it was what you said, but then it turned out to be a different holiday music thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInimitableMaven View Post
My personal favorite version is Lou Rawls and Dianne Reeves' take. IMO, they nail the chops/tone perfectly.
Rawls's side is awesome--might be my favorite of all the versions I've heard. But I'm not fond of the way Reeves sings it. Done right IMO, the female singer has to suppress her ego and not really sing at all.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 12-21-2016 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Added italics for movie title
  #53  
Old 12-21-2016, 09:52 AM
Annie-Xmas is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 57,253
John Lithgow and Bebe Neuwirth
  #54  
Old 12-21-2016, 10:56 AM
BrotherCadfael is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 10,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
When I followed the link, the title suggested it was what you said, but then it turned out to be a different holiday music thing.
Yeah, apparently, SNL has taken it down and Hulu is off the air, at least for non-subscribers. Pity, it's hilarious.


ETA: Here's a really bad copy of it.

Last edited by BrotherCadfael; 12-21-2016 at 10:59 AM.
  #55  
Old 12-21-2016, 05:26 PM
SlackerInc's Avatar
SlackerInc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 12,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
The first verse of this is just about perfect! Then it gets a little...wonky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
Yeah, apparently, SNL has taken it down and Hulu is off the air, at least for non-subscribers. Pity, it's hilarious.


ETA: Here's a really bad copy of it.
That was pretty funny, thanks. But why oh why can't people learn to turn their phones sideways? Or why don't manufacturers just give up and make landscape mode the default when holding the phone upright? Drives me nuts.

BTW, a tip for you from a fellow cheapskate who used the free version of Hulu for years: it still exists, albeit migrated to a different platform. IDK if the SNL stuff is there, but the network shows I relied upon Hulu for (as a cordcutter with no antenna reception where I live) are there.
  #56  
Old 12-22-2016, 08:42 AM
BrotherCadfael is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 10,337
I found the clip at the view.yahoo.com site, but it isn't playing. I'll try it again when I get home; my office firewall may block the stream.
  #57  
Old 12-22-2016, 01:36 PM
aldiboronti is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Troynovant
Posts: 8,189
I think it's only a small if vocal minority that have problems with the song. In the age of Twitter and the avidity of the media for anything 'controversial' their voices are amplified a thousandfold. As said upthread the song still gets plenty of covers and airtime and will certainly continue so to do for the foreseeable future.
  #58  
Old 12-26-2016, 04:20 PM
BrotherCadfael is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 10,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
I found the clip at the view.yahoo.com site, but it isn't playing. I'll try it again when I get home; my office firewall may block the stream.
It took a while to start, but this link worked for me.
  #59  
Old 12-27-2016, 09:52 AM
Clothahump is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 14,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I wonder whether some people's opinion of the song might change if they heard a gender-reversed version ... or a same-sex version.
Same sex, not so much. But a lot of folks don't realize that in the movie Neptune's Daughter, where the song originated, it was done with role reversal.

Here are the two versions.
  #60  
Old 12-27-2016, 10:28 AM
Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 31,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
a lot of folks don't realize that in the movie Neptune's Daughter, where the song originated, it was done with role reversal.
Unless they read posts #36 and 52.
  #61  
Old 12-27-2016, 11:31 AM
Fenris's Avatar
Fenris is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 13,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
Same sex, not so much. But a lot of folks don't realize that in the movie Neptune's Daughter, where the song originated, it was done with role reversal.

Here are the two versions.
The song didn't originate there. It was around for years before the movie. Frank Loesser wrote it so his then-wife, who was a barely competent singer, could have something to sing with him at parties that wasn't too vocally demanding for her. It was a gift from him to her. I recall reading somewhere that while the song had been recorded before Neptune's Daughter, it really ticked her off when he sold the rights to the song for the film.

Last edited by Fenris; 12-27-2016 at 11:32 AM.
  #62  
Old 12-27-2016, 11:41 AM
Fenris's Avatar
Fenris is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 13,289
ETA; I got a detail wrong. He wrote it for his wife around 1944, he sold it in 1948-ish, so it hadn't been around for "years". Nor (as far as I can tell) was it recorded other than a recording that pre-compact discs was rare, of Losser and his wife performing it*. So...oops. It pretty much was unveiled to the public in Neptune's Daughter. My bad.

As an aside, looking at the lyrics, the two parts are written as "Wolf" and "Mouse" not "Man" and "Woman" or "Guy" and "Doll". Somehow, that makes the song more charming to me.

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pfvZo2gmm8

Last edited by Fenris; 12-27-2016 at 11:46 AM.
  #63  
Old 12-27-2016, 01:09 PM
SlackerInc's Avatar
SlackerInc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 12,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
ETA; I got a detail wrong. He wrote it for his wife around 1944, he sold it in 1948-ish, so it hadn't been around for "years".
That qualifies as "years" in my book!

Funny that he wrote it to be not too vocally challenging, and to my way of thinking that style is the way the song should sound...but all these diva singers just can't stand to rein themselves in that much, so they punch it up into some big number to where it loses its conversational rhythm.
  #64  
Old 12-27-2016, 05:42 PM
Fenris's Avatar
Fenris is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 13,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
That qualifies as "years" in my book!

Funny that he wrote it to be not too vocally challenging, and to my way of thinking that style is the way the song should sound...but all these diva singers just can't stand to rein themselves in that much, so they punch it up into some big number to where it loses its conversational rhythm.
I agree, and in the "rare" version I linked to with his wife, you can see her expression in her voice when she does the "Say, what's in this drink?" line. She's clearly looking at him with a half-smile. She's not concerned that she's been roofied, she thinks he used too much (or the wrong type of) booze and the 'recipe' is off. It's obviously banter, not worried.
  #65  
Old 12-28-2016, 02:10 AM
SlackerInc's Avatar
SlackerInc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 12,745
There is one point that I feel naggingly compelled to make in fairness, even though it runs a bit counter to the argument I made in my OP. It's that deal about "what's in this drink?" being a common joke in that era, implying that the drink wasn't even very strong. It's very thinly sourced. The Vox article states it as outright fact, as does Wikipedia; however, their citations are both to the same anonymous blog post, which states it without any kind of citation.

I find it kind of weird that Wikipedia forbids original research, yet allows this kind of citation. I guess I know what to do if I want to insert my own experience into a Wikipedia article: just create a WordPress account, blog about whatever it is, and then cite that in my Wiki edit.

This is not to say that I consider the blogger's claim false. It seems entirely plausible. But when I've read blogs or message board discussions that run down the origin, etymology, or changing meanings of words or phrases, they tend to provide sources (and these kinds of word sleuths try to out-compete each other with the earliest printed citation). This seems so slipshod by comparison.
  #66  
Old 12-28-2016, 02:30 AM
Disgruntled Penguin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
I agree, and in the "rare" version I linked to with his wife, you can see her expression in her voice when she does the "Say, what's in this drink?" line. She's clearly looking at him with a half-smile. She's not concerned that she's been roofied, she thinks he used too much (or the wrong type of) booze and the 'recipe' is off. It's obviously banter, not worried.
I think everyone is overthinking this line. She's presenting it as yet another excuse she can use if she decides to stay. It's implying that the drink rather than herself is the reason she just had to stay with him that night. She's doing what he's been doing by giving herself a reason to stay.
  #67  
Old 12-28-2016, 10:41 AM
Emergency911 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @St. Louis, MO
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
I like that song, and the more the PC Patrol howls, the more I like it.

That said, I'd love to hear a role-reversal version, with some aging cougar trying to convince a young stud to stay the night with her.
Just last week I heard a Jimmy Buffet version with Nadirah Shakoor where the roles are reversed. It put a smile on my face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w05SYKsJ3mw
  #68  
Old 12-28-2016, 11:55 AM
Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 31,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
There is one point that I feel naggingly compelled to make in fairness, even though it runs a bit counter to the argument I made in my OP. It's that deal about "what's in this drink?" being a common joke in that era, implying that the drink wasn't even very strong. It's very thinly sourced. The Vox article states it as outright fact, as does Wikipedia; however, their citations are both to the same anonymous blog post, which states it without any kind of citation.

I find it kind of weird that Wikipedia forbids original research, yet allows this kind of citation. I guess I know what to do if I want to insert my own experience into a Wikipedia article: just create a WordPress account, blog about whatever it is, and then cite that in my Wiki edit.

This is not to say that I consider the blogger's claim false. It seems entirely plausible. But when I've read blogs or message board discussions that run down the origin, etymology, or changing meanings of words or phrases, they tend to provide sources (and these kinds of word sleuths try to out-compete each other with the earliest printed citation). This seems so slipshod by comparison.
I've read hundreds of classic mysteries from the 30s and 40s, and everybody drinks all the time in them. Men and women. Wives drink the same thing as their husbands (if not, that's a sign of a no-good marriage). In these books are countless references to drinks being extraordinarily, oddly, mysteriously, gaspingly, eye-poppingly potent. Those are always throwaway lines for humor and I can't give you an example (I'll bet there's one in the Jake Justus mysteries by Craig Rice because any of her (yes, her) books has more drinking than all the Thin Man movies combined.)

Remember, this was after Prohibition, so nobody drank bathtub gin. Legal liquors all were about the same proof. The only way a drink could be more potent was to make it a double. Nobody ever refers to one of these extra-potent libations as extra-large, though. If they want a double, they have no problem ordering a double ... or a triple. Or a whole evening's worth of drinks in multiple bars and homes. They drank a lot. They're always running out of liquor and everybody always starts with an ample supply of bottles.

So I don't find a comment about "what's in this drink?" to be anything more than cliched banter. A good host made drinks strong without the specific intention of getting his guests too plastered to resist sex. A good guest noticed that the drinks weren't thin and miserly. Everybody remembered Greta Garbo's first lines in a talkie: "Give me a whisky. Ginger ale on the side. And don't be stingy, baby."
  #69  
Old 12-28-2016, 03:35 PM
SlackerInc's Avatar
SlackerInc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 12,745
Yeah, as I say I find it plausible. It's just kind of hinky for these articles to use actual footnotes (giving it the appearance of being strongly sourced) which then just lead to this anonymous blog post with no citations.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 12-28-2016 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Initially used an inapt word
  #70  
Old 12-29-2016, 09:25 AM
kaylasdad99 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 32,237
Can't link on my tablet, but my new favorite version is by Pearl Bailey and Hot Lips Paige. Look for it on Youtube; you won't be disappointed.
  #71  
Old 12-30-2016, 03:37 AM
SlackerInc's Avatar
SlackerInc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 12,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Can't link on my tablet, but my new favorite version is by Pearl Bailey and Hot Lips Paige. Look for it on Youtube; you won't be disappointed.
That's a good one! There's some apparent improv later in the song that I'm not so sure about (but then, I rarely enjoy any kind of improvisation unless it's a jazz or jam-band instrumental).
  #72  
Old 12-25-2017, 11:51 PM
SlackerInc's Avatar
SlackerInc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 12,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I can't seem to find the "definitive" version I have in my head. It may be that I've just invented it, because although I don't have the editing chops to actually make this mashup, I can definitely imagine a Frankenstein combo of other versions that would do nicely.

As I see it, this is not just a song, it's a scene for two actors. Basically, like something out of a Broadway musical that is half-sung, half-spoken, intended to advance a couple's relationship, not just serve as a crowd-pleasing song-and-dance number. But of all the versions I've sampled, I've yet to find one where both the male and female parts are performed that way. There's always at least one of them who's trying to show off their virtuoso pipes and sing, sing, SING.

I like Sara Bareilles most of the time, but she is super guilty of this in her duet with Seth McFarlane. He plays it almost perfectly for his part, but while he's hamming it up Broadway style and engaging with the lyrics with a wink and a grin, she's off in a recording booth singing it phonetically as though it's in a language she doesn't know. He should have invited Idina Menzel to be his singing partner. Broadway pro that she is, she nails her side of the repartee, but this time it's Michael Buble who just croons thoughtlessly.

Some versions wouldn't provide me anything to "mash". Ceelo Green and Christiina Aguilera meander melismatically with no attempt at acting at all. Rufus Wainright and Sharon Van Etten's version is horrendously slow and uninflected, like someone drastically dropped the speed on the record player.

It's not just newer versions: Dean Martin goes the other way into too uptempo and unvarying a swing, and having the female part be a chorus makes no sense. Ella Fitzgerald is spot on, but Louis Jordan messes it up.

So I guess ultimately, it'd be Seth McFarlane with either Idina Menzel or reanimated/sampled Ella Fitzgerald. Let's make this happen!
I found a newer version this year that comes pretty close to my head canon! Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJEj2NnMFwg
__________________
SlackerInc on Twitter: http://twitter.com/slackerinc
  #73  
Old 12-26-2017, 12:32 AM
Flare4roach is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 104
I can't hear that song anymore without thinking of Gilbert Gottfried doing his Tony Curtis imitation and Mario Cantone doing his post stroke Betty Davis on Gilbert's podcast last year. OMG it made me laugh harder than I thought possible. Every time he's on, Cantone fires on all cylinders on Gilbert's show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJkJnsnJ8pU
  #74  
Old 12-26-2017, 04:25 AM
mbh is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I wonder whether some people's opinion of the song might change if they heard a gender-reversed version ... [/url].
Like this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EJ1SBAO1HU
  #75  
Old 12-26-2017, 04:52 AM
SlackerInc's Avatar
SlackerInc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 12,745
And she did it again much more recently with Michael Bublé:

https://youtu.be/arUoUx-YMIY
__________________
SlackerInc on Twitter: http://twitter.com/slackerinc
  #76  
Old 12-26-2017, 07:05 AM
Horatio Hellpop is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Jeju-si, S. Korea
Posts: 9,813
I love the song. It's clear to me that A) the woman wants to stay, and B) she also wants the man to beg.
  #77  
Old 12-26-2017, 04:26 PM
Blue Mood is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 699
My favourite version (thanks largely to Chris Colfer's interpretation and smooth voice) is from Glee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gONSsidPtsE
  #78  
Old 12-26-2017, 04:59 PM
Sigmagirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Western Reserve
Posts: 8,412
You’re all wrong. The gold standard is Blossom Dearie and Bob Dorough.
  #79  
Old 12-26-2017, 05:16 PM
glee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Obama country
Posts: 15,637
I really like Tom Jones and Cerys Matthews.
  #80  
Old 11-27-2018, 10:34 PM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 86,279
Bumped.

The perfect greeting card for the season: https://www.raygunsite.com/collectio...-greeting-card
  #81  
Old 11-27-2018, 11:04 PM
cochrane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 22,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Link me to any and all suggestions and I'll try 'em!
You can't go wrong with Ann-Margret and the Brian Setzer Orchestra.
  #82  
Old 11-28-2018, 12:24 AM
DrDeth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 42,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
She has the right voice and the accompaniment* is great but his voice is wrong for it. Good try. Nothing beats Deano.

* and the instrumental solo !
  #83  
Old 11-28-2018, 01:17 AM
Periwinkle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 591
I completely agree with you, the complaints about this song are so tedious.

Have you heard the Haley Reinhart/Casey Abrams version? I like her take on it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DO8vD0ClzbE
  #84  
Old 11-28-2018, 02:22 AM
PatrickLondon is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: London
Posts: 3,640
The version I remember best was by a real-life married couple, Nina and Frederik, and FWIW my mother (no mean feminist herself) loved it and them.

https://youtu.be/lhLL1v05E6Q

(I wonder if "Jonathan and Darlene Edwards" ever recorded it? That would be something)

I can see how a potential rapist might twist it, but that's his fault and responsibility. Are we to ban Mozart's "Deh vieni" or any of the other seduction songs around?
  #85  
Old 11-28-2018, 07:21 AM
RealityChuck's Avatar
RealityChuck is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 42,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Agreed. 'What's in this drink?' She's not asking if she's been drugged. She's asking what kind of alcohol (or how much alcohol) is in the drink.

.
Exactly. Thinking that line ( the only real problematic one in the song) is about roofies is pure ahistorical ignorance. Given the time frame, the answer to the question "What's in this drink?" Was always "nothing." It was a joke used when people spoke their mind and got embarrassed by how it was received and I've seen it in several comedies of the era.

In other words, a cover story.
__________________
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
  #86  
Old 11-28-2018, 01:42 PM
salinqmind is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Liverpool NY USA
Posts: 10,174
I can NOT believe it's been 7 years since I commented here on this song on another thread! Well, time to do so again! I love this song, there, I said it.

And I HAVE LIVED IT. Back in my 20's when I lived at home, I just couldn't 'stay over' at some Tom, Dick, or Harry's apartment overnight, even if flaming shit was falling from the sky. I had to be home at a 'decent hour' even if it was blizzarding like a mofo, even if I was at my steady boyfriend's house. I heard all the nagging and persuading, and much as I hated to go out in the cold and snow, that was what I did. Who would want to leave and go out in that? Not me, but I did, not out of 'morality' but there would have been hell to pay at 'home'.

Last edited by salinqmind; 11-28-2018 at 01:44 PM.
  #87  
Old 11-29-2018, 02:25 AM
The_Peyote_Coyote is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 3,250
Missed this thread the first time. I recommend the version with Dinah Shore and Buddy Clark. Great performance.
  #88  
Old 11-29-2018, 07:41 PM
caligulathegod is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Columbus OH
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmagirl View Post
You’re all wrong. The gold standard is Blossom Dearie and Bob Dorough.
OK, this one intrigued me enough to look up. For those not familiar with these names, they are the two most used voices from Schoolhouse Rock (Bob being the creator) . Hearing those very distinctive voices sing this song is pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TioWJltl2wU
  #89  
Old 11-29-2018, 08:17 PM
kaylasdad99 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 32,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Bumped.

The perfect greeting card for the season: https://www.raygunsite.com/collectio...-greeting-card
Maybe we can get this merged with the Rudolph thread...
  #90  
Old 12-06-2018, 05:34 PM
Omar Little's Avatar
Omar Little is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Within
Posts: 13,234
It's really not a Christmas song...it's a winter song...which kind of defaults to the Christmas genre.
  #91  
Old 12-07-2018, 09:58 AM
TRC4941's Avatar
TRC4941 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NE Minnesota
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
I can NOT believe it's been 7 years since I commented here on this song on another thread! Well, time to do so again! I love this song, there, I said it.

And I HAVE LIVED IT. Back in my 20's when I lived at home, I just couldn't 'stay over' at some Tom, Dick, or Harry's apartment overnight, even if flaming shit was falling from the sky. I had to be home at a 'decent hour' even if it was blizzarding like a mofo, even if I was at my steady boyfriend's house. I heard all the nagging and persuading, and much as I hated to go out in the cold and snow, that was what I did. Who would want to leave and go out in that? Not me, but I did, not out of 'morality' but there would have been hell to pay at 'home'.
I hear ya! I was at my boyfriend's (now husband) house one evening (along with our little girl) when it started snowing really hard. Back in the late '70s 4WD wasn't all that common.

Backstory: We were engaged and had been together for a few years and like I mentioned we had a baby together. We both still lived at our parents' homes and would be married after we both finished school. I was probably 18 and he was 20.

I called home and told them we were going to stay over because the weather was bad and we didn't want to be driving around in a crappy car with a baby. My dad picked us up in his jeep within the hour!
  #92  
Old 12-07-2018, 10:06 AM
aceplace57 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CentralArkansas
Posts: 26,422
It's certainly possible the characters in the song could have slept in separate rooms. That's why apartments have sofas.

But, this song was written at a time when it wasn't socially acceptable to spend the night. Unless someone older, like the man's mother was there too.

It's a great song and a standard part of my Christmas mp3 playlist.

A similar song is Wake Up Little Suzy. Characters fall asleep on a date. Next morning they are concerned what people will assume happened.

Last edited by aceplace57; 12-07-2018 at 10:11 AM.
  #93  
Old 12-07-2018, 10:17 AM
Jasmine's Avatar
Jasmine is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Here's the thing. The woman singing is being oppressed, but not by the man singing! He's not the bad guy. She's having a lovely time hanging out with him, listening to records, having a couple drinks, and presumably doing a little canoodling in front of that roaring fireplace. The oppression comes from a patriarchal society (remember, this was written in the 1940s) that restricts her agency as a young single woman. Her mother and father are worrying and pacing the floor. Her maiden aunt's mind is vicious, her sister's suspicious, and her brother will be "waiting at the door". They, and the neighbors, "might think" that she's promiscuous: "There's bound to be talk tomorrow/At least there'll be plenty implied".
You know, that's a very good point. The attitude back then was that men were horny sex toads, but women didn't really like sex. "Good girls" didn't do it until married, EVER. That she really wanted to stay but didn't dare to do so is a very real possibility because that's the way it was back then. God help a girl who "did it" and got pregnant out of wedlock!

Last edited by Jasmine; 12-07-2018 at 10:17 AM.
  #94  
Old 12-07-2018, 12:09 PM
Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 31,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
It's really not a Christmas song...it's a winter song...which kind of defaults to the Christmas genre.
As long as all secular winter songs default to "Christmas" songs, then there's no such thing as the War on Christmas.
  #95  
Old 12-07-2018, 12:17 PM
DesertDog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 5,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Here's the thing. The woman singing is being oppressed, but not by the man singing! He's not the bad guy. She's having a lovely time hanging out with him, listening to records, having a couple drinks, and presumably doing a little canoodling in front of that roaring fireplace. The oppression comes from a patriarchal society (remember, this was written in the 1940s) that restricts her agency as a young single woman. Her mother and father are worrying and pacing the floor. Her maiden aunt's mind is vicious, her sister's suspicious, and her brother will be "waiting at the door". They, and the neighbors, "might think" that she's promiscuous: "There's bound to be talk tomorrow/At least there'll be plenty implied".
Even when I was little I wondered why she was old enough to drink yet still living with her parents. I wasn't thinking of the meme 75 years ago where a young woman would go directly from her parents' house to her husband's (Do not pass college; do not collect employable skills).
  #96  
Old 12-07-2018, 03:06 PM
Musicat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Posts: 21,353
As long as we're posting links to recordings of this song, here is another one. The singers are husband & wife, and this is part of the annual Hagen Family concert. Doesn't seem controversial to me or them.
  #97  
Old 12-07-2018, 03:42 PM
Omar Little's Avatar
Omar Little is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Within
Posts: 13,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
As long as all secular winter songs default to "Christmas" songs, then there's no such thing as the War on Christmas.
I would agree with you. Christmas is more of a secular holiday than a religious holiday in most cases anyway.
  #98  
Old 12-10-2018, 09:25 AM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 86,279
Radio stations decide whether or not to play "Baby, It's Cold Outside": https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/07/enter...ide/index.html
  #99  
Old 12-10-2018, 09:43 AM
WOOKINPANUB's Avatar
WOOKINPANUB is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: St Petersburg, Floriduhhh
Posts: 7,216
The only feeling of rage this song ever brought me was all the nosy ass people that were up in this poor girl's business. She obviously wants to stay (if you can't see that, well, I don't know what to tell you)but can't because god forbid, "what will everyone think"? What a shame to have this lovely tune taken off the air. Of course, that's what Spotify is for.
  #100  
Old 12-10-2018, 09:48 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickLondon View Post
(I wonder if "Jonathan and Darlene Edwards" ever recorded it? That would be something)
Sort of, in that their alter egos did (or rather Jo Stafford sang it with the Starlighters in the other role and Paul Weston did something or other instrumental). Did Weston even sing?

But you're right - a Jonathan and Darlene Edwards version would have been something.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017