Old 12-19-2018, 01:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
It's not about erasing, it's about censorship.
And who is censoring this? I have no idea what this claptrap is about. I hear this fucking song all the time on the Christmas stations here.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:12 AM

Spotted on Twitter and basically a complete breakdown of the "debate" surrounding the song: https://twitter.com/DyckBj/status/10...402153984?s=09
Old 12-19-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
It's not about erasing, it's about censorship.
No itís not. No one is censoring the song. Itís about old white America freaking out every time anyone doesnít agree with them about something. We point out something questionable about our recent past and the boomers lose their shit.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:44 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

It isn't about censorship-It's about radio stunting and people that are easily manipulated. They could have quietly pulled the song from the lineup and none of this would have happened. BTW, this fake rage about how people can't request the song-When was the last time a radio station took song requests? There are no DJs with stacks of records any more.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
It isn't about censorship-It's about radio stunting and people that are easily manipulated. They could have quietly pulled the song from the lineup and none of this would have happened. BTW, this fake rage about how people can't request the song-When was the last time a radio station took song requests? There are no DJs with stacks of records any more.
Radio stations still take requests. There's one here that does it every workday over the lunch hour.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:57 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Radio stations still take requests. There's one here that does it every workday over the lunch hour.
People make requests, but unless it is a tiny independent station what happens is that if the request made is a song already in the lineup, they play a recording of the request right before they play the song that was going to be played any way.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
People make requests, but unless it is a tiny independent station what happens is that if the request made is a song already in the lineup, they play a recording of the request right before they play the song that was going to be played any way.
Or they have a "request hour" or similar, like CarnalK describes.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:24 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Or they have a "request hour" or similar, like CarnalK describes.
Like I said, "unless it is a tiny independent station". Most music stations are corporate-owned, and the vast majority of those have no live and local programming. If the program is syndicated, it is extremely easy to collect requests for every single preselected song, then insert the requests at the appropriate places.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yep. In fact, i called into a "all request" station, and the DJ took time to talk to me and said, they have a list of a few hundred, maybe 1000 tunes, and you can request any of those, but outside of that, nope. Playlists are critical to income.

Last edited by DrDeth; 12-19-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Like I said, "unless it is a tiny independent station". Most music stations are corporate-owned, and the vast majority of those have no live and local programming. If the program is syndicated, it is extremely easy to collect requests for every single preselected song, then insert the requests at the appropriate places.
Cite for the bolded part?
Old 12-19-2018, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauplius View Post
Cite for the bolded part?
I dont think that's correct but how about the most popular
music stations are mostly corporate-owned.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
I suspect they are "fake requests". They wait until someone requests a song they were going to play anyway, and then they say "by request, here's Ariana Grande with Thank U, Next!"
Old 11-08-2019, 03:28 PM

It's a bit early to bump this thread, but John Legend and Kelly Clarkson have released a "woke" version of Baby, It's Cold Outside. It's already being derided as P.C. run amok.

Full lyrics to the new version here: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...ake-2019-11-08.

I'm fine with the original version. I think of it as innocuous flirting and don't find it rapey at all. You can mess with it and change it all you want, but I won't listen to it.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:05 PM

My biggest problem with the song is the "what's in this drink" part. That sort of crosses a line. Surely they could've put something else in there.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueInfinity View Post
My biggest problem with the song is the "what's in this drink" part. That sort of crosses a line. Surely they could've put something else in there.
A footnote explaining how people today don't understand an old standard joke?
Old 11-08-2019, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueInfinity View Post
If you read this thread, you'll see that at the time the line referred to the amount of alcohol and not a roofie.