Old 05-17-2017, 05:59 PM

Netflix working on 'The Witcher' series

I hope they can pull this off, it would be fantastic.

Quote:
Netflix is developing and producing a new English language drama series based on The Witcher, the globally popular fantasy saga from Polish writer Andrzej Sapkowski,
http://www.platige.com/en/page/839-T...aga_On_Netflix
Old 05-17-2017, 07:17 PM

Has Netflix done a series with HBO levels of nudity and violence? Because that's what it's going to take for it to be a good Witcher adaptation.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:30 PM

Bringing this drowner back to announce that we have our Geralt of Rivia: Henry Cavill.

... not bad. Not bad at all. I can see it working.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Bringing this drowner back to announce that we have our Geralt of Rivia: Henry Cavill.

... not bad. Not bad at all. I can see it working.

Pretty certain Geralt was never concerned about being labelled a rapist.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uosdwis R. Dewoh View Post
Has Netflix done a series with HBO levels of nudity and violence? Because that's what it's going to take for it to be a good Witcher adaptation.
Altered Carbon has several minutes where people aren't naked or killing each other or naked and killing each other.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:36 AM

"Netflix is developing a Witcher series..." Yay!

"...starring Henry Cavill" Nay!
Old 09-05-2018, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
"Netflix is developing a Witcher series..." Yay!

"...starring Henry Cavill" Nay!
Have you seen the latest Mission Impossible film? He's very good there, with a fine physicality and understated wit; his sardonic reactions to Tom Cruise's antics are perfect (that little eye-roll he makes before he reaches for a machine gun is itself worth the price of admission). I think he can make a fine Geralt.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Have you seen the latest Mission Impossible film?
Nope. I did see him in Man From U.N.C.L.E. , he was good in that. My objection isn't that I don't think he can act, it's that I don't think he's a good fit for Geralt. Too much the pretty-boy.

Last edited by MrDibble; 09-05-2018 at 04:08 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Nope. I did see him in Man From U.N.C.L.E. , he was good in that. My objection isn't that I don't think he can act, it's that I don't think he's a good fit for Geralt. Too much the pretty-boy.
Cavill is a big strong fella. Hardly a pretty boy in the Jared Leto sense.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:02 AM

Quote:
You know, I've read the books, and at no point does it say that Geralt isn't good-looking. Rough and rugged, yes, scarred and intimidating, definitely, but considering the amount of women throwing themselves at him, I would hesitate to call him ugly.

Besides, is this your idea of a "pretty boy"?

Last edited by Alessan; 09-05-2018 at 05:05 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:06 AM

no offense but you know were all gonna be disappointed if theres not a uninhibited moderate to big busted redhead in one or two bath scenes …….
Old 09-05-2018, 05:07 AM

Incidentally, he wasn't my first choice either - I was hoping for Jim Caviezel or Timothy Olyphant. But he'll do.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
You know, I've read the books, and at no point does it say that Geralt isn't good-looking. Rough and rugged, yes, scarred and intimidating, definitely, but considering the amount of women throwing themselves at him, I would hesitate to call him ugly.
Ugly is not the antonym of pretty-boy. I would not call Cavill, buff as he is, "rough and rugged", at least the way he's normally presented.
Quote:

Besides, is this your idea of a "pretty boy"?
Very much so, yes. The perfectly pomaded hair, the neatly-trimmed moustache and the artfully tailored stubble?

He looked a lot less pretty-boyish when bearded up in MoS, though. But it's not his usual look.

I should point out - pretty-boy is also not meant (by me, anyway) as a synonym for effeminate. The operative word there is much more intended to be "boy" than "pretty". Being bearded or mustachioed doesn't preclude someone from being a pretty-boy.

I should also say - this isn't me saying I won't watch it, or enjoy it. Just that Cavill's casting doesn't excite me at all, the way announcement of the series itself did.

Me, I'd prefer someone not English or American - a Nordic or Polish actor. Gustav Skarsgard, bulked up, would be ideal...not his brothers, though, they're all pretty-boys too.

Last edited by MrDibble; 09-05-2018 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Very much so, yes. The perfectly pomaded hair, the neatly-trimmed moustache and the artfully tailored stubble?
You realize that actors have very little say on how their hair will look in a movie, right? You might as well criticize him for his costumes, or for the set design.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
You realize that actors have very little say on how their hair will look in a movie, right? You might as well criticize him for his costumes, or for the set design.
Calling him a pretty-boy is not a criticism of him. It's a criticism of his image, which I agree is carefully tailored by both crew and publicists. But that image, for me, is one of pretty-boy.

The image you linked to is of a character who clearly cares quite a bit about his appearance. Metrosexual would be another appropriate term. I can't see his hands, but I'd bet that guy's nails are manicured.

Last edited by MrDibble; 09-05-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:28 AM

I am disappointed that they're going with Cavill, but only because I had hoped that they'd use someone relatively unknown as Geralt. Shows like this seem to work best when the lead character(s) come in without too many prior associations. I don't want to be thinking: hey, it's Superman as Geralt! Oh, well.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:36 AM

As I understand it, the show will be based on the books, not the games. I wonder where they'll start?
Old 07-01-2019, 06:46 PM

First images from the show.

It's not much, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:41 PM

I'm sorry but is this a writing staff or A High School chess club?

Their wokeness aside, they seem to have one person over 30??
Old 07-02-2019, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Their wokeness aside, they seem to have one person over 30??
..and?
Old 07-02-2019, 02:57 AM

They looks like a cross-section of the Witcher fan base. Why shouldn't they write the series?
Old 07-02-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
They looks like a cross-section of the Witcher fan base. Why shouldn't they write the series?
My thoughts exactly.

They look less like the chess club and more like the "I play the Witcher all the damn time" club.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:25 AM

I have to admit, the books are my guilty pleasure. They're dark and not really well written (or at least not well translated). Geralt is this brooding character who goes on these long philosophical diatribes. The series has a very Eastern European feel; the elves and dwarves are oppressed and liven in ghettos, magic is dangerous, foreign and vaguely seedy, and anyone with power instantly abuses it. I hope the series keeps all those elements.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
My thoughts exactly.

They look less like the chess club and more like the "I play the Witcher all the damn time" club.
Pretty sure the series is based off the books
Old 07-03-2019, 09:20 AM

Please. Most book readers east of the Oder got to the series through the games.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Please. Most book readers east of the Oder got to the series through the games.
??
Old 07-03-2019, 04:50 PM

Sorry. I meant west of the Oder.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
I have to admit, the books are my guilty pleasure. They're dark and not really well written (or at least not well translated). Geralt is this brooding character who goes on these long philosophical diatribes. The series has a very Eastern European feel; the elves and dwarves are oppressed and liven in ghettos, magic is dangerous, foreign and vaguely seedy, and anyone with power instantly abuses it. I hope the series keeps all those elements.
Do they get better? I read the first one (I think) after playing Witcher III - (loved it, the story-driven quality of the game was exceptional) and thought it was pretty bad tbh.
I wasn't expecting a literary marvel, either - I love fantasy books and have realistic expectations, but just thought there was nothing really there with it.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:06 AM

The translation is awful - I mean, I don't speak Polish so I can't be sure, but I'm a translator myself and I know bad translation when I see it.

Other than that, it's pretty good, within the limits of the 1990's "Look at my cool D&D campaign world" fantasy sub-genre. The world building is pretty solid and the characters are well crafted, and as noted, it has this fascinating Eastern European pessimism and morbidity that most Western readers aren't exposed to that often.

I suggest skipping the short story collections and jumping straight to "Blood of Elves" and the "saga".
Old 07-04-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
First images from the show.

It's not much, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
Geralt needs to look a lot more broken down & scarred, otherwise not bad.

And yeah, the books are grim and fatalistic as hell. No one wins. Anything. Ever.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Geralt needs to look a lot more broken down & scarred, otherwise not bad.

And yeah, the books are grim and fatalistic as hell. No one wins. Anything. Ever.
That cast is way too good looking. Its obnoxious. Bunch of little kid models (well...little kids to my old ass).

I mourn the lost days of character actors who look like normal humans.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
I mourn the lost days of character actors who look like normal humans.
But aren't all the main characters described as reasonably attractive? Geralt is grizzled and scarred, sure. But I believe Ciri is supposed to be an attractive young woman. And my understanding is that the sorceresses often use magic to make themselves look as young and attractive as possible, despite mostly being 100+ year-old crones with a natural deformity of some sort( Yennefer for example originally had a humpback ).

Last edited by Tamerlane; 07-04-2019 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
But aren't all the main characters described as reasonably attractive? Geralt is grizzled and scarred, sure. But I believe Ciri is supposed to be an attractive young woman. And my understanding is that the sorceresses often use magic to make themselves look as young and attractive as possible, despite mostly being 100+ year-old crones with a natural deformity of some sort( Yennefer for example originally had a humpback ).
You make good points.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:32 AM

And now, a trailer.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

I don't know anything about The Witcher, I have not read the books or played the game or even heard of it, until maybe a year ago when chatter about this adaptation was starting to increase. And this trailer does not make me any the wiser.

The difficulty with Fantasy movies or TV has always been striking the balance between the dramatic and the melodramatic. If you don't carefully portray the main characters as likeable and live with them for long enough to really care about their fate, and instead get bogged down in too many ancillary characters talking in a stilted language reciting complicated lore that only matters because the plot needs some detail later on, then it risks falling apart.

The Lord of the Rings movies work because we get to know Frodo, Sam, and Gandalf, and everyone, slowly and deliberately, before we get too bogged down in plot mechanics. Same with Game Of Thrones and Star Wars and Willow and Labyrinth and Ladyhawke. But you can point to a hundred other fantasy movies that are just ponderous melodramatic cheese from start to finish, and frankly, this Witcher trailer, though it's only showing the exciting flashy bits, reminds me more of those than anything good.

But it's a TV series, so it can take its time to explore the characters, so maybe it will turn out okay.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
OK, can buy Superman as Geralt now. And it looks like they do start Yennefer off as deformed.

Last edited by MrDibble; 07-21-2019 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
OK, can buy Superman as Geralt now. And it looks like they do start Yennefer off as deformed.
I don't, looks like bad Targaryen cosplaying to me instead of Geralt of Rivia.
I'm going to give the series a chance anyway, but I have little hope.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:38 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
I'm going to give the series a chance anyway, but I have little hope.
That’s the spirit.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:11 PM

Newest trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndl1W4ltcmg

It looks good, though I still say Geralt needs to be more worn & scarred. Interestingly, I didn't see a single monster in it.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Interestingly, I didn't see a single monster in it.
0:22 - some sort of ghoul
1:32 - some sort of insect or spider,
Old 10-31-2019, 03:40 PM

Ok I clearly missed the ghoul. But what's going on with the spider chase - Yennefer & Triss escaping with a baby?