Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1301  
Old 10-28-2019, 10:27 AM
tricoteuse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
"Turn around, look at me" - I guess the driver can't be counted on to make sure it's safe to back out of the driveway, so the car has to slam on the brakes to keep from slamming into the oblivious pedestrian...

These vehicles full of warning features just piss me off - if you can't manage to drive without backing into anything or straying into the adjacent lane or any other stoopit thing, you shouldn't have a license! I feel like these ads turn potentially fatal inattention into no-big-deal - it terrifies me!
That commercial just makes me hate the douchebag who is wandering around paying so much attention to his phone he can't be bothered to watch out for cars, gangs of marathon runners, and whatever else winds up just going around him. It would serve him right to get knocked on his ass.

I know I can change channels during commercials but what fun is that?
  #1302  
Old 10-28-2019, 01:33 PM
Rough Draft is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Ok, new hated commercial. The entire series of State Farm with Aaron Rodgers and his "agents". The concept was never that good, and it's being pushed way past any cleverness or goodness.
Yeah, that ad campaign has gone completely out of control. It started out with a mildly humorous concept (Aaron Rodgers' football agent is a bombastic fool compared to his State Farm agent), then plunged into repetitive and stupider imitations of itself.

Also, Rodgers is so wooden that he brings nothing to the table. They should have gotten Tony Romo.
  #1303  
Old 10-28-2019, 02:10 PM
Jeep's Phoenix's Avatar
Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,705
There's a Toyota commercial that features a couple scrambling out of a house in slow motion while godawful electronic music plays in the background. One is gripping a waffle in his teeth and a terrified-looking child in his arms; the other is grappling with a sloshing drink and assorted work things (and a shoe). How is this supposed to sell cars? Do people really live this way?
  #1304  
Old 10-28-2019, 02:27 PM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,749
There is a Florida Lottery commercial with two people in the woods calling, "Luck luck luck luck luck luck LUCK!" that causes my husband to lunge for the remote. I see from the comments that everybody else hates it too.
  #1305  
Old 10-28-2019, 04:03 PM
Finagle is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere near Boston
Posts: 9,976
A couple of complaints:

First, I actually like Enya's music, in small, occasional doses. I like Kraft macaroni and cheese as well. Also in small, occasional doses. I have NO IDEA what the two have to do with each other, or why blissful New Age music should be the theme song to bratty toddlers getting their way regarding food choices.


Next, I've recently seen a couple of commercials that have me despairing for the fate of humanity. In one, a woman comes home with a bunch of bags and says "Alexa, preheat the oven to 350 degrees." In another, random people ask their faucet to fill various containers to precise levels. If there are any appliances at all that I don't want connected to the internet of things, it's probably water and oven. Because I don't know what the failure mode is for those things, but I'd really rather not come home from vacation and find the oven has been preheating for days, or that the faucet has been measuring out a couple of acre-feet of water. But also, on the list of chores that I find irksome, you are not going to find "turning on the stove" or "getting a measuring cup out of the cabinet". By it's very nature, turning on the faucet means that you're going to be right there anyway. It's not like a voice-operated light which is at least sort of understandable. When you get a voice-operated faucet or stove, you're adding unreasonable levels of complexity in exchange for almost microscopic levels of convenience. Also, Alexa, get those kids off my lawn.
  #1306  
Old 10-28-2019, 04:16 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,506
I really detest the Kraft macaroni and cheese ads where the parents give in to their bratty kids and let them have mac and cheese instead of what the rest of the family is eating. Does the Mom throw away that beautiful salmon just because the kids does dramatic gagging? The next scene shows the entire family eating mac and cheese. Why don't the parents have the salmon, even if they are giving in to the little brat and giving him mac and cheese?
  #1307  
Old 11-04-2019, 10:51 AM
Jackmannii's Avatar
Jackmannii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 32,325
I saw a commercial yesterday that was annoying/stupid for two major reasons.

It was for a big nationwide outfit (Lowe's?*) that does carpet installation. The ad shows a large gallumphing dog (Bernese or somesuch) tracking gobs of mud across the carpet, and the dog's accomplice (a young boy) carrying gloppy froot loops cereal up the stairs and spilling a bunch of it on the carpet.

The next scene shows workers removing the stained, bad-looking light brown carpet, rolling it up and taking it away - then replacing it with (you guessed it!) a lovely off-white carpet.

Genius! In a household with those two stain-mongers, the new carpet should look like crap in no time, and new carpet can be ordered, this time in pristine gleaming white.

*a commercial where you're so struck by its idiocy that you can't remember the name of the sponsor, is by definition bad.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 11-04-2019 at 10:52 AM.
  #1308  
Old 11-06-2019, 08:57 PM
Sir T-Cups is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 8,796
The Iphone commercial with Gordon Ramsey drives me insane. It's so obvious that Ramsey and the couple were filmed separately and put together in post and it looks so shitty because of it.

Plus, everyone is annoying in it
__________________
Want to see more of my adventures in Orlando? Follow Mrs. Cups and me @theorlandoduo on Instagram. And check out our blog too: TheOrlandoDuo.com
  #1309  
Old 11-06-2019, 09:04 PM
Isamu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Osaka
Posts: 6,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
I saw a commercial yesterday that was annoying/stupid for two major reasons.

It was for a big nationwide outfit (Lowe's?*) that does carpet installation. The ad shows a large gallumphing dog (Bernese or somesuch) tracking gobs of mud across the carpet, and the dog's accomplice (a young boy) carrying gloppy froot loops cereal up the stairs and spilling a bunch of it on the carpet.

The next scene shows workers removing the stained, bad-looking light brown carpet, rolling it up and taking it away - then replacing it with (you guessed it!) a lovely off-white carpet.

Genius! In a household with those two stain-mongers, the new carpet should look like crap in no time, and new carpet can be ordered, this time in pristine gleaming white.

*a commercial where you're so struck by its idiocy that you can't remember the name of the sponsor, is by definition bad.
They sold the dog and kid in order to buy the carpet.
  #1310  
Old 11-06-2019, 09:30 PM
Maserschmidt's Avatar
Maserschmidt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 5,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
They sold the dog and kid in order to buy the carpet.
Best Gift of the Magi update ever.
  #1311  
Old 11-06-2019, 10:42 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
The Iphone commercial with Gordon Ramsey drives me insane. It's so obvious that Ramsey and the couple were filmed separately and put together in post and it looks so shitty because of it.

Plus, everyone is annoying in it
"Use a cocktail stick" has become a meme.
  #1312  
Old 11-07-2019, 11:30 AM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,247
It's too damn early for Christmas commercials! Seven more weeks of that insipid Jared trio!
  #1313  
Old 11-07-2019, 11:32 AM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,247
Oh, and GEICO? Baseball season's over! Save that commercial for Memorial Day!
  #1314  
Old 11-07-2019, 11:47 AM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,247
Jared - "Dare to Find the One"
  #1315  
Old 11-07-2019, 11:52 AM
tricoteuse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Oh, and GEICO? Baseball season's over! Save that commercial for Memorial Day!
Or never. I'd be good with never.
  #1316  
Old 11-07-2019, 12:08 PM
cochrane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 22,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Oh, and GEICO? Baseball season's over! Save that commercial for Memorial Day!
It came on during the World Series. And Halloween was last week. It was still appropriate.
  #1317  
Old 11-07-2019, 12:30 PM
Biggirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right here
Posts: 18,865
The cell phone service ad with the guy who used to say, "Can you hear me now?" but jumped ship to a different carrier has a sidekick now. Looks to me as if she's trying for a mix of the adorable AT&T girl and the quirky Progressive Flo.

She has an air horn and yells, "Do you love it?! Do you love it?!" I fucking hate her.
  #1318  
Old 11-07-2019, 12:54 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
It came on during the World Series. And Halloween was last week. It was still appropriate.
They're still running it. If they wanted something for Veterans Day, they should have gone with football.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 11-07-2019 at 12:55 PM.
  #1319  
Old 11-07-2019, 01:03 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,247
FTR: "it" is the baseball stadium flyover, not trick-or-treating.
  #1320  
Old 11-07-2019, 01:07 PM
KneadToKnow is offline
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 26,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
the adorable AT&T girl
God, I miss Lily.
  #1321  
Old 11-07-2019, 01:07 PM
cochrane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 22,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
FTR: "it" is the baseball stadium flyover, not trick-or-treating.
Then, a link would be appreciated.
  #1322  
Old 11-07-2019, 01:18 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,247
Found it. Nice commercial but, as I was saying, wrong season!

Last edited by Skywatcher; 11-07-2019 at 01:21 PM.
  #1323  
Old 11-07-2019, 01:46 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
The cell phone service ad with the guy who used to say, "Can you hear me now?" but jumped ship to a different carrier has a sidekick now. Looks to me as if she's trying for a mix of the adorable AT&T girl and the quirky Progressive Flo.

She has an air horn and yells, "Do you love it?! Do you love it?!" I fucking hate her.
He didn't jump ship, they let him go.
  #1324  
Old 11-07-2019, 02:08 PM
Biggirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right here
Posts: 18,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
He didn't jump ship, they let him go.
Perhaps this cellphone company will 'let go' of annoying air horn girl.
  #1325  
Old 11-07-2019, 09:12 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,247
Moving to the DC area would have been easier, not to mention less stupid.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 11-07-2019 at 09:12 PM.
  #1326  
Old 11-07-2019, 09:20 PM
nightshadea is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: a condo in hell 10th lvl
Posts: 5,798
has anyone seen the ridiculous postmates commercials with Martha Stewart of which only one is remotely funny ....?
  #1327  
Old 11-07-2019, 10:21 PM
Finagle is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere near Boston
Posts: 9,976
I'm fairly annoyed by the Dominos commercials where they offer you free pizza if they screw up your order.

First of all, it's a $10.00 pizza. So having a manager yell "OK, people, we're expediting this order!" is just going to elicit eyerolls from their minimum wage staff. And I might be mildly pleased if they offered me a free pizza, but I wouldn't go into transports of delight like the women in the commercial.
  #1328  
Old 11-08-2019, 11:44 AM
salinqmind is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Liverpool NY USA
Posts: 10,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
I'm fairly annoyed by the Dominos commercials where they offer you free pizza if they screw up your order.

First of all, it's a $10.00 pizza. So having a manager yell "OK, people, we're expediting this order!" is just going to elicit eyerolls from their minimum wage staff. And I might be mildly pleased if they offered me a free pizza, but I wouldn't go into transports of delight like the women in the commercial.
I LMAO. How dramatic! These pizza slaves carry on as if they're a crack team of surgeons, organ harvesters extracting a heart from a dead donor and flying it out to a desperately ill child across the country!
  #1329  
Old 11-08-2019, 11:54 AM
Biggirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right here
Posts: 18,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
I'm fairly annoyed by the Dominos commercials where they offer you free pizza if they screw up your order.

First of all, it's a $10.00 pizza. So having a manager yell "OK, people, we're expediting this order!" is just going to elicit eyerolls from their minimum wage staff. And I might be mildly pleased if they offered me a free pizza, but I wouldn't go into transports of delight like the women in the commercial.
And it doesn't seem as if they try to fix what was wrong with your order. They just give you a free pizza.
Customer: I ordered three Sprites and stuffed cheesy bread and you sent me a pizza!"
Domino's: Here's a pizza to make up for it.
  #1330  
Old 11-08-2019, 01:42 PM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,749
I feel sorry for the Domino's workers. How much do you think that offer gets abused?
  #1331  
Old 11-08-2019, 04:18 PM
Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 22,654
I hate the Emu and the dork he shadows.
  #1332  
Old 11-08-2019, 05:14 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
... These pizza slaves carry on as if they're a crack team of surgeons, organ harvesters extracting a heart from a dead donor and flying it out to a desperately ill child across the country!
That falls in line with one of the most common tropes in commercials: the completely-false implication that if you patronize This Company, you will be dealing with Highly-Trained Professionals who Take Great Pride in Their Work.

Think of the commercials showing the "operators" who are "standing by" for your call: are they ever less than good-looking, young, intelligent, eager, and cheerful?*

This is the principle behind the Farmers Insurance commercials starring J.K. Simmons, who walks a single student around an "Ivy-League University"-looking foyer. Old money has clearly at work here for decades or centuries, as this handful of dedicated insurance professionals receive their one-on-one training. Clearly the nation's hereditary elite are the backbone of the corps of Farmers Insurance agents!

Yeah, it ain't like that. But viewers are supposed to feel at least an unconscious reaction of trust in this 'venerable establishment.'




*(And are they ever something other than white (or majority-white if several are shown)?)

Last edited by Sherrerd; 11-08-2019 at 05:15 PM.
  #1333  
Old 11-08-2019, 05:45 PM
Aspenglow's Avatar
Aspenglow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,251
I never thought I would tire of hearing Steppenwolf's Born To Be Wild, you know, now and then, occasionally, here and there on the radio or someone's 'Favorites' mix collection. But Applebee's twenty-five cent wings ad has ruined this song for me for all time.
  #1334  
Old 11-08-2019, 06:26 PM
dontbesojumpy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
God, I miss Lily.
Milana Vayntrub. She's my one-and-only celebrity crush.
  #1335  
Old 11-08-2019, 06:36 PM
madsircool is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I hate the Emu and the dork he shadows.
Agreed. A lame attempt to jump on the Geico/Progressive advertising bandwagon. Its an exercise in banality.
  #1336  
Old 11-09-2019, 10:37 PM
HyacinthBucket is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Agreed. A lame attempt to jump on the Geico/Progressive advertising bandwagon. Its an exercise in banality.
Speaking of lame attempts to jump on another company's successful advertising bandwagon, the Hyundai commercials using a bunch of different dogs are such an obvious attempt to ride the coattails of Subaru's dog-centric commercials that they're becoming really annoying. And yes, I'm a Subaru owner, why do you ask?

Memo to Hyundai's ad agency - it takes more than a few dogs to create clever, memorable ads, especially when the dogs have no valid reason to be in the commercials besides trying to appeal to dog owners. My dog Barney says those poor pooches are being shamelessly exploited and reinforce the unfortunate stereotype that the only thing a dog is capable doing in a car is sticking its head out of the window. He does, however, enjoy the new Allstate commercial with Mayhem playing Tina Fey's 70-pound St Bernard pup.
__________________
"When I invite a woman to dinner, I expect her to look at my face. That's the price she has to pay."
Otis B. Driftwood
  #1337  
Old 11-10-2019, 07:26 PM
dontbesojumpy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,251
This is, by a wide margin, the worst commercial ever in the history of anything. Matthew McConaughey CLEARLY ad-libbing a song he's very unconfidently singing...about a cheeseburger.

Matthew McConaughey: "Hey man listen, I'm gonna sing this one."

Producer: "Oh, ok. Really? Can you sing well?"

MM: "Not even almost."

P: "Oh. Hmm. Well...what's the song? Did you write some lyrics?"

MM: "I'm going to make them up when I sing it."

P: "...when you sing it...?"

MM: "yeah I'll just make them up when I sing it, the one and only time, when we record it. I'm a one-take kinda guy!"

P: "...ok, but..."

MM: "If I go blank I'll just say the words 'western' or 'bacon.' It's important they know it's 'western' and 'bacon' anyway."
  #1338  
Old 11-10-2019, 08:03 PM
salinqmind is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Liverpool NY USA
Posts: 10,173
Angel Soft CRAP PAPER. A tear-jerker about a kid in the bathroom and a weepy single dad writing 'I'm sorry I'm sorry . I'm Sorry' . a billion times on the roll and sliding it under the door, and omg, hugs and tears all around! OMG. Who the fuck cares?

The FUCK? ( No one ever apologized to ME when I was a kid, much less wrote it out on toilet paper and slid it under the door. But I digress.) . If I'm paying $8 fucking dollars for a 6-pack of toilet paper, why does part of that go toward some lame idiot commercial? All I want to do is wipe my ass.

I buy the cheapest 2-ply store brand I can find, Angel Soft. I will avoid YOU from now on.
  #1339  
Old 11-10-2019, 08:50 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,247
Santa the Redneck Frat Boy is back.
  #1340  
Old 11-10-2019, 10:04 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
That's wrestler Bill Goldberg.
  #1341  
Old 11-10-2019, 11:54 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
That's wrestler Bill Goldberg.
Oh, I know who the actor is but, outside of Leroy the Redneck Reindeer, Santa should not behave like that.
  #1342  
Old 11-10-2019, 11:58 PM
Aspenglow's Avatar
Aspenglow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,251
There was an ad running last May that annoyed me so much, I wrote to the Kellogg's Company to complain.

They are advertising a new Cheez-It product called Snap'd. They blatantly ripped off and spoofed Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth, complete with hydraulic lift to point to a graph to show how their product is sooooo cheesy, we are going to run out of cheese within a few years.

I don't view climate change as a joke, and I didn't appreciate their tone-deaf ad implying we can all just laugh it off. Perhaps if we'd taken our former Vice President seriously at the time he first raised the issue, we wouldn't be in the jam we're in now.

To Kellogg's' credit, they did respond and said they would pass my comments on to the group responsible for the ad. I noticed the ad stopped running in my venue.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who noticed and complained. Today I saw a revised version of the ad. They have ditched the hydraulic lift and other obvious spoofery of An Inconvenient Truth. I hope I had some small part in bringing about the change. It raised my blood pressure every time I saw the original version.
  #1343  
Old 11-11-2019, 10:22 AM
Just Asking Questions is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,514
State Farm has upped its lame game and drug Pam Oliver into the shame that is their Aaron Rodgers campaign. She gets interrupted in her sideline reporting by Aaron's football agent.

Give it a rest!

If they must, bring back Clay Matthews and B. J. Raji, even if they are no longer on the team. At least they were funny.
  #1344  
Old 11-11-2019, 10:45 AM
cochrane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 22,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
There was an ad running last May that annoyed me so much, I wrote to the Kellogg's Company to complain.

They are advertising a new Cheez-It product called Snap'd. They blatantly ripped off and spoofed Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth, complete with hydraulic lift to point to a graph to show how their product is sooooo cheesy, we are going to run out of cheese within a few years.

I don't view climate change as a joke, and I didn't appreciate their tone-deaf ad implying we can all just laugh it off. Perhaps if we'd taken our former Vice President seriously at the time he first raised the issue, we wouldn't be in the jam we're in now.

To Kellogg's' credit, they did respond and said they would pass my comments on to the group responsible for the ad. I noticed the ad stopped running in my venue.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who noticed and complained. Today I saw a revised version of the ad. They have ditched the hydraulic lift and other obvious spoofery of An Inconvenient Truth. I hope I had some small part in bringing about the change. It raised my blood pressure every time I saw the original version.
I haven't seen An Inconvenient Truth, so I didn't make the connection until I read your post. It is a terrible commercial, and I agree it's important to be concerned about climate change. In fact, as you say, it may be too late. But I can't work up that level of outrage over what is basically a cheesy () over-the-top bad commercial.
  #1345  
Old 11-12-2019, 09:45 AM
Dolores Reborn's Avatar
Dolores Reborn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Houston
Posts: 14,750
I didn't make the connection at all - but I did buy some Snap'd Cheez-its. They're pretty good! But too expensive.
  #1346  
Old 11-12-2019, 09:06 PM
Aspenglow's Avatar
Aspenglow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
I haven't seen An Inconvenient Truth, so I didn't make the connection until I read your post. It is a terrible commercial, and I agree it's important to be concerned about climate change. In fact, as you say, it may be too late. But I can't work up that level of outrage over what is basically a cheesy () over-the-top bad commercial.
I'm not in the habit of being the grumpy old lady who sends Sternly Worded Letters to companies who irritate me. In fact, this is the first time I've been moved to write such a complaint (and I told them so). But this one just hit me sideways.

I've been watching Al Gore try to raise the alarm about climate change for more than 40 years. His opus, An Inconvenient Truth, is as germane today as it was when it was first released in 2006. If anything, it was too optimistic.

To see a stupid conglomerate blatantly ripping off his work and making mock of such a serious concern 13 years on, all in the name of peddling some new crap snack food, well... for better or worse, it triggered my moral outrage.

I'm just glad they changed it. As I said, I'm likely not the only person who reacted with... vigor.

And yeah, it was cheesy, in every meaning of the word.
  #1347  
Old 11-14-2019, 09:29 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
It's too damn early for Christmas commercials! Seven more weeks of that insipid Jared trio!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Gah! They're multiplying!
  #1348  
Old 11-16-2019, 05:33 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,247
I don't care where you three musical mooks go, just go; the sooner, the better.
  #1349  
Old Today, 09:21 AM
Jeep's Phoenix's Avatar
Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,705
I'll take their commercials any day over the horrible flat singing of that child in the Amazon commercial.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017