Old 11-26-2017, 01:16 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Nobody has ELO or Jim Croce?
While I've used several ELO songs as my ringtones over the years (being a big ELO fan), I've never actually used the one that I'm sure you're referring to.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:46 PM

I only have one special ringtone on my phone and it is for my best friend, the one person I will always pick up for.

It is the ringtone of the Farnsworth "cell phone" from Warehouse 13.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

The opening theme for "Buckaroo Banzai Through the 8th Dimension". Which I can't find online to link to, sadly.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2017, 02:44 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Default ringtone: into of "Brown Sugar" (first 7 chords)
Old 11-26-2017, 03:49 PM

The song "Kasabian - Fire" (Premier League) is my ringtone now.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:36 PM

My ringtone for my phone is for a wolf howling and for my texts and emails a cat meowing .
Old 11-26-2017, 04:57 PM

My general ringtone is "Tubular Bells", because I like the music. People sometimes tell me my phone or purse in haunted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYmRA45BZmc
My parents get "Begin the Beguine", my brother, who can do anything, gets the Indiana Jones theme, and a close friend gets Creedence Clearwater's "Fortunate Son". The last two make great alarm ringtones, since it is impossible to sleep through them.
To the poster who hates the sounds of phones, mine rarely rings when I'm out in public. When it does, I need to be able to hear the phone and answer, as there are health emergencies in the family, and calls come from hospitals, hospice, and therapists. Believe me, public calls annoy me, too, but sometimes they are necessary.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:54 PM

General ringtone: "Hava Nagila"
Text: Theme from Dragnet
DH's ringtone: bong...bong...bong, because that's the ringtone on his phone
Ringtone for "unknown name, unknown number": sound like an old-fashioned bell phone ringing
Old 11-26-2017, 08:35 PM

Ive only given a ring tone to one person, it;s "Baratin", a soukous song by Mpongo Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc5X...25E66&index=19

Last edited by jtur88; 11-26-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:08 AM

Mine is Tyketto's "Lay Your Body Down" so I can have Danny Vaughn singing to me whenever someone calls. I don't bother assigning ringtones to people 'cos it's almost only ever my mum who calls me.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

I've got the old Tonight Show, Johnny Carson mind you, theme music on mine. I let it play for a few seconds, then I push the button and say, And now, heeeeeeres, Bobby. And he hears me and says, what?
Old 11-27-2017, 09:38 PM

Khachaturian's Sabre Dance. I always make hectic motions looking for my phone anyway, so it matches.

Last edited by Prof. Pepperwinkle; 11-27-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:05 PM

My ringtone is a version of "Drunken Sailor", a sea shanty.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:27 PM

I have person-specific ringtones for everyone I communicate with regularly. My wife is "Foxey Lady" for example.

Otherwise my phone ringtone is the chorus from Redman's "Pick It Up," and my message tone is the Star Trek TOS communicator chirp.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:14 PM

Darth Vader's Imperial March for my boss- she is a SW fan, and knows the meaning. She is truly irritated by it being her ringtone.

My ex-wife gets a klaxon sound followed by an ominous voice saying "your ex-wife is calling". We are actually on good terms, so it's more tongue-in-cheek than real animosity.

My Sister, who loves the Eagles, gets a ringtone of The Big Lebowski saying "I hate the fucking Eagles, man."

My significant other, who is named Elizabeth, gets a snippet of the song "Elizabeth" by the Counting Crows.

Before he passed, my Dad's calls to me were always preceded by Mark Cohn's song "Sliver Thunderbird". Dad owned Ford Thunderbirds for the last 20 or so years of his life.

Friend of mine who thinks he is a playa gets "Just a Gigolo" by David Lee Roth.

Female friend named Stacey, who is a mom, gets "Stacey's Mom Has Got It Going On" Not perfectly correct, but close enough.

That's it. Everyone else gets the default, which is the Kinks song "Waterloo Sunset"
Old 11-28-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapiotar View Post
My general ringtone is "Tubular Bells", because I like the music. People sometimes tell me my phone or purse in haunted.
My first one was the opening of Sentinel from Tubular Bells II. But it was too low. Now I use Beethoven's Fifth.
I don't have custom ones.

Did you know that Mike Oldfield didn't see the Exorcist until years after it came out? It is reported that when he did he laughed like hell. I do have a radio interview with him on a bootleg where he says that kids in America were scared of him.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:16 PM

Default Ringtone: Opening bars of Stevie Wonder's "Sir Duke" (not only a kickass song, but perfect for me because I'm a jazz singer).

When My Dad Calls: An electronic "alert" sound followed by a pleasant female voice saying "your father is attempting to reach you on your cellular device."

When My Brother Calls: Same as my dad's ringtone, only "your brother is attempting to reach you on your cellular device."

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Text-sound of a typewriter
I might steal that! Many moons ago I had a BlackBerry that used a great "sonar ping" sound for text messages: I've spent way too many hours looking for it over the years, but all of the sonar notification sounds I can find aren't quite right. I like the typewriter idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Everyone else gets "Girls in Their Summer Clothes" by Bruce Springsteen.
Oooh, great song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
the "doo-dooo doo-doo-doo" from the Muppets' "Mahna Mahna"
"Mahna Mahna" is my alarm notification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunyupp View Post
My text notification tone is the "Bahk Bahk Bahk Baaahk" from the SuperChicken theme song.
OMG that made me think of the "bahk bahk bahk baaahk" from Chickenman (an old radio series), which would be AWESOME.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:05 AM

I had the Mad Men theme song for quite awhile then had the Downton Abbey theme song. Right now I have Kashmir (Led Zeppelin).
Old 11-29-2017, 12:02 PM

I honestly can't remember what my ringtone is. Whatever the default is, I guess- one of the first things I did when I got my phone was to set the phone to vibrate, and I've never changed it back. Between my Pebble watch, having my phone almost always in my pocket, and having a bluetooth handset at home, I never need to hear my phone ring.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:15 PM

I used to have the drum riff from "In the Air Tonight" as my ring tone on my old phone. Problem was, sometimes in my car I'd have the radio on and the ring would get lost in the other music. Now my ring tone is some horrific sing-song cartoony meowing noise that was one of the stock options and never fails to get my attention.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:17 PM

I've long had the Trol-lol-lol song as a ring tone. I needed something I'd notice in a noisy environment.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:20 PM

My ringtone has been for, I don't know, ten or twelve years "The House That Jack Built" by Aretha Franklin. I chose it because I adore Aretha and the song starts without any intro with vocals, so it's instantly recognizable.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:17 PM

Mine has been the opening to The Who's Baba O' Reilly for some time now.

Text notification is the Jetson's doorbell

Alarm is the klaxon from the Nostromo in Alien
Old 12-20-2018, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

The main theme (not the closing credits theme) for "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai". I'd link to it, but I can only find the end credits song.

I love it because it starts with a bass "dun dun dun..." which is enough to let me know what's going on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2018, 08:36 AM

Man - maybe I should consider the theme song (if there is one) from The Walking Dead!

Mine is some obnoxious Android pre-set called Thriller Three. Not sure why I chose it however many years ago, but I've never heard anyone else use it. So even tho I rarely get calls (and often forget to carry my phone or let it run out of charge) - when I DO get a call, I know it is MY phone ringing!
Old 12-21-2018, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Just switched it to the Rick and Morty theme.

My daughter is still my previous one: the Peter Davison era Dr. Who theme.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

For phone, the Our Man Flint red phone ring. I wanted a phone to ring like ever since I saw the movie and thanks to modern technology, it's now easy. I was in Home Depot the other day when my phone went off. A nearby man about my age started, then said, "Derek!"

"Excuse me; this is important." I replied as I took the call.

For text messages, nothing but Monty Python will do.

Everything else is the least annoying one that came with the phone. I have often pictured the design lead at various smart and cell phone manufacturers holding a meeting. "Ladies, gentlemen, we have our work cut out for us. We need to come up with thirty ringtones for our new product, every one of which is annoying."
Old 12-21-2018, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Main Ringtone: Haunting Torgo Theme
Message Tone: Kimmunicator
Old 12-21-2018, 11:16 AM

The first few bars of "In the Wake of Poseidon" by King Crimson. You ask why?

1. It ramps up nicely from a keyboard ("3 violins") to multi-instrument, so it's not abrupt.
2. Hardly anyone recognizes it or uses the same ringtone.
3. Because...mellotron.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

My phone is completely silent. No ringtone, no vibration, nothing.

Given how rare it is to hear a cell phone ring any more... at least compared to the 2000's... it seems I'm not the only person who does this.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:19 PM

My regular is the outro to Brazuzan by Tuatha de Danann.

My Russian-speaking wife gets Russian Girls by Комбинация.

My extremely religious mother gets Don't Stop Believin' by Journey.

Dad gets Mahna Mahna by the Muppets.

Brother gets Breaking The Law by Judas Priest.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:23 PM

My default is Tom Petty's "American Girl". The opening chords even sound a bit like a telephone ringing, IMHO.

I use GNR's "Sweet Child O' Mine" for my wife. I used to have other personalized rings, but it's a new phone and the old ones didn't transfer for some reason. I'll probably get around to it some day.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:38 PM

I have a custom ringtone I made which is Lt. Worf saying "Captain...Incoming Message" laid over a techno dance track. It's fun but I'm getting sick of it - time for a new one.

My text notification is a sonar ping.

But I must brag about the greatest notification sound of all time. I've had it for many years since my first smartphone, and whenever anyone hears it, they remark on it. It's timeless, universal and perfect:

SPOILER:
Yes, it's the duhn-duhn sound from Law & Order
Old 12-21-2018, 01:28 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

I used to get much more into this than I do now. Mrs. ToKnow has custom tones for calls and texts, and one other friend has a custom tone for texts, but I think that's it.

My standard text tone is from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and is the "thhhhwiiiiip-doooiiiing" sound of an arrow striking home followed by "Message for you, sir."

Not counting the many, many businesses who have their tone set to silent.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 12-21-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:51 AM

Still using the sound of a phone ringing.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:34 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

All of mine are Asleep At The Wheel songs.

Default: Sugarfoot Rag

Wife: My Baby Thinks She's A Train

Mom: I Can't Give You Anything But Love

Brother: Miles And Miles Of Texas
Old 11-07-2019, 02:56 PM

Rather than start another cell phone thread, I'm bumping this one for ideas. Even though I almost always have my phone on vibrate, I'm thinking of changing my ringtone. Exciting stuff. Right now my ringtone is something called "Themos" that is a stock tone. I haven't changed it in a couple of years. Those who have answered already, have you changed your ringtone? I want something new.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:10 PM

Ringtone: Back To The Future "Twinkle"
I wanted to use it as my "incoming text" tone, but my (older) phone does not allow it.

Previously when working (as a paper carrier), my work-time ringtone was a sample from the Nintendo video game, Paperboy...!
Old 11-07-2019, 04:20 PM

I used to have a custom ringtone for when my wife called, "Green-Eyed Lady" (Sugarloaf, 1970).
Old 11-07-2019, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Just the default ringtones now, although we used to have a landline phone capable of importing ringtones. "Sweet Home Chicago" would ring for family from the Chicago area and "The Yellow Rose of Texas" would ring for family from Texas; I don't recall what others I put in.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 11-07-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:38 PM

The theme from King of the Hill- Roger Clyne
Old 11-07-2019, 06:51 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

My 4 daily medication alarms [which one of is my get my ass up in the morning wake up] and my husband's ring tone are an alarm from a 688 submarine - a vessel he spent much of his naval career upon. It really turns heads when it goes off on the submarine base <evil grin> and wakes his ass up immediately.

Other people have odds and ends, Express Elevator from Aliens was my alarm for chemo/radiation appointments. Frequently I get places early so it would go off in the waiting room =)
Old 11-07-2019, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

For family members, it plays the Game of Thrones theme. For everyone else, the original Halloween theme. My notification sound is the SuperMario coin.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
My 4 daily medication alarms [which one of is my get my ass up in the morning wake up] and my husband's ring tone are an alarm from a 688 submarine - a vessel he spent much of his naval career upon. It really turns heads when it goes off on the submarine base <evil grin> and wakes his ass up immediately.

Other people have odds and ends, Express Elevator from Aliens was my alarm for chemo/radiation appointments. Frequently I get places early so it would go off in the waiting room =)
Thank you for the moviesoundclips site. That's great.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:17 PM

Tubular Bells
Old 11-08-2019, 11:32 AM

I downloaded a SW bell ringer tone Sounds like a desk phone.

I'm accustomed to quickly reacting to that ringer.

I still have a desk phone from the early 80's.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-08-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

I only use songs that I have written. That way, there is no confusion when my phone rings in a crowded place, since I am the only one likely to have that tune.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Some horror-movie type thing called "Day of Chaos" because nobody ever calls me unless they're having a problem.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:01 PM

99% of the time it's on vibrate

The other 1% is the theme to Police Story sung by Jackie Chan
Old 11-08-2019, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

It's an audible signal that my cellphone is theoretically able to make upon receiving an inbound call.

But that's not important right now.