Old 07-30-2018, 12:48 AM

Better Call Saul: Season IV

Better Call Saul is starting back up a week from Monday, so I decided to go ahead and start the thread for this season.

Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gxAGhIKNi8
Comic-Con trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA5J7l2ovKM
Chuck retrospective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlZFNL-kyho
'Behind the scenes' comments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4DI0eWEe-0

Interesting comment from the "Chuck Retrospective" is that he was originally going to be a weak character, who was basically helpless without Jimmy. Him being as manipulative, prideful, and strong-willed as he ended up is entirely due to Micheal McKean's acting.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:42 AM

Looking forward to this! Season 4 is supposed to be darker.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:24 AM

Yes, and from what they've said Chuck is still a prominent character in spite of being dead. No 'oh he actually survived' cop-out, but the Jimmy side of the show is going to be focused on people coping with Chuck's death and the aftermath. I wouldn't be surprised if something interesting happens with Howard too, since he was the person second closest to Chuck (behind Jimmy).
Old 07-30-2018, 10:27 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Want this now please.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:49 AM

I'm glad Michael McKean will be back for another season, because he should have been nominated for awards last year.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:01 AM

Bumping because a dup thread that had the more recent activity got locked. First ep was kind of ho-hum wouldn't you say? That's all I got...
Old 08-07-2018, 10:10 AM

Not surprisingly, this episode didn't have a whole lot happen but sets things in motion for this season. No one seems to suspect foul play in Hector's death, though I am pretty sure things will eventually turn bad for Nacho because of the way his name came up in Breaking Bad. It looks like whatever war happens with the Salamanca family is what will drive Mike into becoming Gus's right hand man. I don't find it surprising that Mike can't just laze around doing nothing and collecting a check. I think the most interesting development is that Howard blames his pushing Chuck out for the suicide, and that Jimmy said nothing about his little improv skit at the insurance company. I think Jimmy's happy 'who wants coffee' at the end is just him putting on a brave face, and that he's actually really disturbed that his insurance shenanigans may have set Chuck's end in motion. Will be interesting to see where they go with that.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
and that he's actually really disturbed that his insurance shenanigans may have set Chuck's end in motion
I'm pretty sure this is it. I think he is genuinely hurting over the loss of his brother, and now even more so since he learned of the insurance effect.

I thought it was awesome that Mike just walked into the warehouse and started wandering around without anyone questioning him.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:45 AM

After last night's season premiere, I have a theory :

SPOILERS AHEAD:

We saw Gus eyeballing the pills that Nacho gave to the EMT. We saw Nacho throw those pills off a bridge, but we also saw Victor witness this. Obviously Gus had Victor follow Nacho because he's suspicious.

So, based on that, and referring back to the classic scene in Breaking Bad, when Jesse and Walt kidnap Saul while wearing ski masks.....Saul yells out, "it wasn't me it was Ignacio, he's the one!"

Saul must have thought that Walt & Jesse were the TWINS.....who were attempting to avenge their Uncle's assassination attempt.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:51 AM

Yeah, his 'happy' seemed too happy. I'm sure he enjoys sticking it to Howard since the last time they talked Hoard insulted him and compared him to a pan handler, but I don't think he actually feels that peppy about being the cause of what pushed Chuck over the edge.

I wonder if Lydia appreciates having an actual security consultant on payroll, because she's stuck with him now unless she wants to admit she was money laundering.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:15 PM

Mike is, as always, covering ALL the bases. He realizes that getting 10K checks while he farts around playing with his granddaughter and scratching his ass is going to draw attention, he has every right to poke around Madrigal because what are they going to say, "We hired this guy as a security consultant but he's not allowed on the premises?" That would raise some eyebrows. He wants to know more about the company he's in bed with and how it relates to Gus' operation so he's just gonna get right in there and exploit his access for all it's worth. He wants to make sure his ass is protected as he's getting his cash laundered. Dude is always the smartest guy in the room unless Gus is there too, then they sit on opposite corners like two huge tomcats, blinking at each other but each wisely deciding not to push the issue of dominance.

Gus definitely noticed that Nacho has more knowledge of why Hector had his stroke but what he doesn't know is WHY, so he's finding out.

Am I the only one who thinks there was a definite "Ha, I'll show 'em and THEN they'll be sorry" aspect to Chuck's suicide? Yeah, he was crazy and despondent, but he was absolutely out to cause as much pain as he could to those he held responsible. He was such an asshole.

That cold open in Omaha was a goddamned nail biter, but I've seen it brought up, and it's a good point, but is anyone really looking for Jimmy/Saul/Gene at that point? Everyone's dead, the cartel has nobody left and why look at Saul anyway, since he was just a money guy? Skyler could put a finger on him, but why would she bother since he implicates her too and getting him busted just makes the DEA more likely to give her the hairy eyeball. I think he's living this uber-paranoid life basically for no reason. "The wicked man flees when no man pursueth" indeed.

Slow? Hardly!
Old 08-07-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
No one seems to suspect foul play in Hector's death
Hector's not dead. He had a stroke. That's what caused him to be in the wheelchair.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
Mike is, as always, covering ALL the bases. He realizes that getting 10K checks
I wonder if the amount on the check or something else written on it is going to be significant. There was a zoom to the check, but I don't know if that was just 'Mike's thinking about how much they're paying him' or next week we're going to see him calling Lydia out on something that's off.

Quote:
That cold open in Omaha was a goddamned nail biter, but I've seen it brought up, and it's a good point, but is anyone really looking for Jimmy/Saul/Gene at that point? Everyone's dead, the cartel has nobody left and why look at Saul anyway, since he was just a money guy?
Has anyone figured out exactly when the Gene scenes take place? I remember a theory that it was in the winter between the main series of BB and the finale, but I don't know if anyone pinned it down. If it's in that time frame, then the Neo-Nazi gang might be looking for him to close up the last loose ends (which explains why the people he's worried about all seem to be white guys with short hair). I think the DEA would also know that Saul was involved in the mess and would definitely like to arrest him, but probably wouldn't look in Nebraska and probably aren't actively looking for him.

I'm pretty sure the taxi guy is just Gene jumping at shadows, but there are people who would like to arrest or kill him out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Hector's not dead. He had a stroke. That's what caused him to be in the wheelchair.
Yeah, no idea why I wrote 'death' for a character that we know is immortal in this series since we've seen how he dies in BB.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the taxi guy is just Gene jumping at shadows, but there are people who would like to arrest or kill him out there.

The taxi driver appeared to be from Albuquerque, based on the thingy hanging from his rear view mirror. Maybe he recognized Gene/Saul from the old TV ads. Saul was pretty well known in Albuquerque.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Has anyone figured out exactly when the Gene scenes take place?
Omaha, Nebraska was incorporated in 1857 and Gene's Cinnabon has a business certificate that says "Omaha, two hundred years" on it, so we can only assume it takes place in 2057, when Gene/Saul/Jimmy is nearly 100 years old.

Last edited by DrCube; 08-07-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I think he is genuinely hurting over the loss of his brother, and now even more so since he learned of the insurance effect.
Jimmy has to have a LOT of mixed feelings, seeing that the last thing Chuck said to him was "you never mattered all that much to me."

This season's title graphic, with Jimmy looking despairing while holding a happy-face mask in front of his face, could not be more perfect. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

Quote:
Has anyone figured out exactly when the Gene scenes take place? I remember a theory that it was in the winter between the main series of BB and the finale, but I don't know if anyone pinned it down. If it's in that time frame, then the Neo-Nazi gang might be looking for him to close up the last loose ends (which explains why the people he's worried about all seem to be white guys with short hair). ...
This makes sense to me. Even if the Cinnabon scenes occur after Walter's adventure at the neo-Nazi compound, Jimmy wouldn't necessarily know the results of the adventure. And of course there's always the possibility that someone at Madrigal might have survived--as far as Jimmy knows, Lydia may have had other confidants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
I'm glad Michael McKean will be back for another season, because he should have been nominated for awards last year.
Amen to that.

Thread on my books (inexpensive gifts!) https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=866609
Old 08-07-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
The taxi driver appeared to be from Albuquerque, based on the thingy hanging from his rear view mirror. Maybe he recognized Gene/Saul from the old TV ads. Saul was pretty well known in Albuquerque.
Another reason why working retail in a mall is an absurd idea for a fugitive. Saul should be working in an office or any place that he's not seen by hundreds of people every day.

I'm so glad the Chuck business is over. Sure, Mckean is terrific, but I can't take another ten hours of watching some guy freak out about electricity. Bring on the criminals doing criminal stuff and needing a criminal lawyer.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Yeah, his 'happy' seemed too happy. I'm sure he enjoys sticking it to Howard since the last time they talked Hoard insulted him and compared him to a pan handler, but I don't think he actually feels that peppy about being the cause of what pushed Chuck over the edge.
Agreed, his happy was way too happy, but I think it's more than just him putting a brave face on it. Jimmy spent most of the episode morose. He spotted straight away that Chuck had regressed. He couldn't even talk to Kim when she was trying her damnedest to help him open up and share his feelings. Chuck's death had put him in a complete emotional spin. He knew Chuck had relapsed. He feared he'd suffered in the fire. He might well have guessed that his own clever ruse with the insurance people was potentially the reason for that. He was probably wondering how accidental the fire was, in that case.

Then Howard comes round and confirms those fears. But then does something else - he claims the guilt. Suddenly, it's not Jimmy's fault at all! I mean sure, he might have let something slip to the insurance company but he didn't make them put up Chuck's premium and he sure as hell didn't make Howard push him out. When you think about it, isn't Howard really the one to blame here?*

And suddenly, partly as putting on a front to cover his distress but I think mainly out of relief at finding a willing scapegoat, Jimmy flips from uncommunicative, shell-shocked misery to being blithely cheerful to the point of callousness. (The "Well, Howard, that's just your cross to bear" line was outright cruel.) As he makes the coffee Jimmy is literally whistling past the graveyard. It will all fall apart of course, because the fantasy that he can pass all the blame on to Howard is as brittle as it is appealing.

The post opening credits shot of the sparks from the fire appearing to land first on the Mesa Verde case and then on the shared, cosy bed of Jimmy and Kim is a wonderful piece of foreshadowing.

*(The dramatic irony of Howard, who we recently learned willingly took the blame for Chuck's treatment of Jimmy at HHM, now unwittingly taking the blame for Jimmy's treatment of Chuck is very nicely done. An impressive guy in many ways, he's also a patsy for the McGill brothers.)
Old 08-08-2018, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

I haven't seen this show or thought about it since...well, I don't know, was it last year? And I was excited about it coming back. But I have to say that episode was painfully boring. I had the thought that "at least the actors didn't have to memorize too many lines." I can be happy enough just looking at Bob Odenkirk for an hour, but my husband is He Who Holds the Remote, so I don't think we'll be watching this anymore.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:42 AM
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member

Better Call Saul: Season IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
I haven't seen this show or thought about it since...well, I don't know, was it last year? And I was excited about it coming back. But I have to say that episode was painfully boring. I had the thought that "at least the actors didn't have to memorize too many lines." I can be happy enough just looking at Bob Odenkirk for an hour, but my husband is He Who Holds the Remote, so I don't think we'll be watching this anymore.

His silence was the point. The usual “fast talking, always with something to say, with an angle, wriggle out of anything” Jimmy was brought to silence. Until the end, of course. It was a terrific bit of character exploration.

I hope the comment about you not getting to watch the show bc your husband controls the remote was a bit of hyperbole though....

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 08-08-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Nah, I've learned to just not get too attached to anything on TV.

Also, I apologize if my post was seen as a threadshit, I didn't mean it to be.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
His silence was the point. The usual “fast talking, always with something to say, with an angle, wriggle out of anything” Jimmy was brought to silence. Until the end, of course. It was a terrific bit of character exploration.
One of the really distinctive things about this show is that it is not afraid to take the time to make its points. The long scenes of Jimmy failing to communicate with Kim in this episode, Kim's epic "hustling for a new client" montage, Mike breaking down the car when he thinks he's bugged... other shows would imply time taken in a 20-30 second montage, but BCS will spin that out for minutes until yes, it does become a little bit painful, a little bit frustrating. But the pay off is that you internalise the character's struggle to a much greater extent, so that when Mike finds the bug/Kim lands a client/Jimmy switches back on* then you really feel the impact.

*I realise now, following ITD's lead above, that what happened at the end wasn't that Jimmy started talking. What happened was that Saul started talking. The persona is taking over.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:57 AM
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanislaus View Post

*I realise now, following ITD's lead above, that what happened at the end wasn't that Jimmy started talking. What happened was that Saul started talking. The persona is taking over.
That’s brilliant. I love this.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
I haven't seen this show or thought about it since...well, I don't know, was it last year? And I was excited about it coming back. But I have to say that episode was painfully boring.
I'm with ya. Like a hotdog, this show has too much filler and by-product.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:54 AM

I also had forgotten how slow this show was. And not in a good way (IMO).

Gave me too much time to think of how grossly he overfed his fish, and wonder why he said, "Look at her go" after feeding it, when the fish didn't move.

Realized I ought to have rewatched last season's finale to remember what was going on - but quickly realized I didn't care that much.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Agreed, his happy was way too happy, but I think it's more than just him putting a brave face on it.
I agree with that, I don't think Jimmy is actually happy at Howard or just putting on a brave face, it's a more complex coping mechanism. I don't know that it will actually fall apart for Jimmy, though - keeping himself in 'it's all someone else's fault, I'm happy' mode may be what really drives him into keeping up the Saul persona all the time. I'm also interested to see how the Howard/Kim/Jimmy dispute plays out, I don't think Kim is going to be a big fan of the cold "that's your cross to bear" to Howard especially if she finds out that Jimmy had a big role in the insurance thing.

Also, I predict that the fish is going to have a bad time of it. Jimmy's "I'm so happy" routine involves making coffee and feeding the fish, but overfeeding fish can kill them, and the vet mentioned the risk of overfeeding back in an earlier episode.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Realized I ought to have rewatched last season's finale to remember what was going on - but quickly realized I didn't care that much.
With as much stuff as is on TV and streaming services these days, why would you watch a show that you don't like and don't care about? It's not like it's the 80s when you were stuck choosing between three big networks plus PBS. Aside from the general absurdity of threadshitting, I seriously don't get why you'd bother to watch this show instead of watching one of the hundreds of other shows that are readily available for free or on $10/month subscription services.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:04 AM

I think he is happy. Finally out from under the thumb of his brother, and no suspicion on him for driving him to despair, with the bonus of laying it on Howard.

But who knows. I really feel the writers really enjoy jerking the audience around. It'll all be different next episode.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
With as much stuff as is on TV and streaming services these days, why would you watch a show that you don't like and don't care about? It's not like it's the 80s when you were stuck choosing between three big networks plus PBS. Aside from the general absurdity of threadshitting, I seriously don't get why you'd bother to watch this show instead of watching one of the hundreds of other shows that are readily available for free or on $10/month subscription services.

And then take time to write about how much you don’t care. The TV world is vast! There is more to see!
Old 08-08-2018, 11:13 AM

Previews for the next episode.
Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hYLeDA9T84
And a scene of Jimmy interviewing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w00-eBWfYNw

I'm pretty sure Jimmy was already familiar with the color copier's use in counterfeiting...
Old 08-08-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
...and that Jimmy said nothing about his little improv skit at the insurance company
Can someone give me the executive summary on this, as I either missed something (this week) or forgot (previous seasons).
Old 08-08-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
...The TV world is vast! ...
Or at least half-vast!

While I will not pine for the days of 3 major networks, the ever-increasing abundance does not suit me well. I have limited interest in seeking out new shows that will appeal to me. Yeah, I know that will result in my missing some great stuff. But conversely, it will also save me from wasting my time on a bunch of crap. And, IMO, the vast majority of stuff on TV is - if not crap, at least not sufficiently good that I wouldn't rather be reading, making music, or doing just about anything else.

I only regularly watch maybe 5 shows on an ongoing basis. When I find a show that I like - as was the case w/ BCS - I get disappointed when I feel it has changed in a way that I don't like it as much. Heck, the last couple of episodes of Elementary have been VERY disappointing, so I'm thinking of dropping that show as well...

I've posted before of my dislike for Breaking Bad - truly a minority opinion. The more I could enjoy BCS on its own - rather than seeking tie-ins w/ BB, the better. And I often thought BCS had some of the best portrayals of actual lawyering that I'd seen on TV.

Didn't see the rules saying contrary opinions were unwelcome! Of course, I don't believe folk "seriously don't get" my behavior. But I posted the above in case you wished your ignorance fought.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Gave me too much time to think of how grossly he overfed his fish, and wonder why he said, "Look at her go" after feeding it, when the fish didn't move.
I think that's a pretty clear signal that he was giving a performance of cheeriness that had little to do with actual reality. It doesn't matter that the fish doesn't move - what matters is that he displays to Howard (and Kim) that everything is just peachy-keen for ol' Jimmy.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phungi View Post
Can someone give me the executive summary on this, as I either missed something (this week) or forgot (previous seasons).
Last season, Jimmy went to his malpractice insurer after he was barred from practicing for a year to try to get a refund on the remaining ten or so months on his insurance. He didn't get it, prompting what appeared to be a genuine moment of anguished self-reflection (in the office, in front of the insurance agent) where he listed all the personal and professional mistakes he'd made that brought him to this new low. In which catalogue of errors he just so happened to mention how bad he felt about bringing his brother's mental health issues to the fore during the disbarment hearing.

The insurance agent is seen taking a note on this, and subsequently HHM get informed of the higher premium for Chuck (as Jimmy had planned) which led to the fight with Howard (as Jimmy might have hoped). But he didn't foresee what else it would lead to, and now he knows.

It's worth reflecting just how spiteful and petty Jimmy was being when he dropped the dime on Chuck. He'll remember how he felt at that moment, and some small part of him will be wondering how clever he really was.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
That cold open in Omaha was a goddamned nail biter, but I've seen it brought up, and it's a good point, but is anyone really looking for Jimmy/Saul/Gene at that point? Everyone's dead, the cartel has nobody left and why look at Saul anyway, since he was just a money guy? Skyler could put a finger on him, but why would she bother since he implicates her too and getting him busted just makes the DEA more likely to give her the hairy eyeball. I think he's living this uber-paranoid life basically for no reason. "The wicked man flees when no man pursueth" indeed.
As far as I can remember, Jimmy doesn't really know the coast is clear. When he last saw Walter in "Granite State", he confided that he was disappearing because of the jailhouse killings ("When they start whacking the lawyers..."), apparently not realizing that it was Walt who'd ordered them. If and when he hears of the Aryan Brotherhood being wiped out by Waly in "Felina", he might put two and two together and breathe easy. (AFAIK, we don't know whether that's all happened, because we don't know how Gene's timeline synchs up with the last events of "Breaking Bad".)

ETA: What Sherrerd said.

Last edited by F. U. Shakespeare; 08-08-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Last season, Jimmy went to his malpractice insurer after he was barred from practicing for a year to try to get a refund on the remaining ten or so months on his insurance. He didn't get it, prompting what appeared to be a genuine moment of anguished self-reflection (in the office, in front of the insurance agent) where he listed all the personal and professional mistakes he'd made that brought him to this new low. In which catalogue of errors he just so happened to mention how bad he felt about bringing his brother's mental health issues to the fore during the disbarment hearing.

The insurance agent is seen taking a note on this, and subsequently HHM get informed of the higher premium for Chuck (as Jimmy had planned) which led to the fight with Howard (as Jimmy might have hoped). But he didn't foresee what else it would lead to, and now he knows.

It's worth reflecting just how spiteful and petty Jimmy was being when he dropped the dime on Chuck. He'll remember how he felt at that moment, and some small part of him will be wondering how clever he really was.
much thanks!
Old 08-08-2018, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Remember the time in Season 2 when Chuck took out a metronome and played sheet music (written by Rebecca IIRC) on the piano?

An orchestra version of that music was playing as people came up to Jimmy to offer condolences in the church right before the funeral, during which the camera panned to a sobbing Rebecca.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Typical first ep for a new season; you have to sit through the exposition of how they got where they are (hence Howard's monologue at the end) and plow through the setup for the rest of the season. I liked the tequila Easter egg. I can do with less doting by Mike on his granddaughter.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I wonder if the amount on the check or something else written on it is going to be significant. There was a zoom to the check, but I don't know if that was just 'Mike's thinking about how much they're paying him' or next week we're going to see him calling Lydia out on something that's off.

I thought he was irritated by the $8k taken out. I don't make that kind of money, is it standard for that much withholding on $18K?

And that led him to go investigate the company.

Last edited by Paintcharge; 08-08-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Didn't see the rules saying contrary opinions were unwelcome! Of course, I don't believe folk "seriously don't get" my behavior. But I posted the above in case you wished your ignorance fought.
You can think I'm lying, but I seriously don't understand why a person would spend the time watch a show they don't actually like, then spend the time to post that they don't like it and aren't interested in it, and then follow up by posting about how they try to avoid wasting time on shows they don't like even though they're watching a show they don't like and aren't interested in. If you had insightful comments about the show that would make sense, even if you don't like it. But instead you offered that the show is slow and that you're not interested in it, and made it clear that you completely missed the point of a scene. When your 'contrary opinion' is just "I don't like it and I don't care about it and I'm not interested to the point that I don't really pay attention to what's going on," why on earth would you expect that commentary to be welcome?
Old 08-08-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phungi View Post
Jimmy tried to get a refund for his malpractice insurance, but the company refused over the phone. He went in in person to try to talk someone into refunding him the money since he isn't a lawyer. He didn't have his account number with him, so they had to look him up and that introduced mention that he's Chuck's brother. When they refused to give him a refund since the insurance is still effective, he 'broke down' and talked about how miserable he is and all of the mistakes and travails he's had... including that he aggravated his brother's mental health condition, which the insurance company was unaware of.

Finding out about Chuck's condition led them to raise the rates for HHM. Howard was annoyed with this and called a meeting with the insurance company, him, and Chuck. The meeting ended with Chuck angrily ranting at the insurance company that what they were doing is illegal, and swearing to pretty much call down the wrath of god on them in a courtroom if they didn't back down immediately. Chuck expected Howard to follow him on the crusade, but Howard said essentially "Chuck this is the last straw, you're acting irrational and you're dragging the firm into it without consulting me, it's time for you to quietly retire". Chuck responded with "OK, then I'm taking my shares of the firm out, and I know that paying me that much will trash the firm, so you're going to have to keep me". Howard responded by taking out enough loans to buyout Chuck, presented him with the first check, then made him give a retirement speech on the spot and walked him out of the building. After this, Chuck had his final breakdown and suicide.

It's not actually clear in the scene how planned his actions were. A competent lawyer not having the account number with him seems a bit odd, and is a very convenient way to 'accidentally' mention his brother's name. On the other hand, it's possible that he did just go in to try to get a refund, and the mention of his brother pissed him off and made him decide to stick it to Chuck on the spur of the moment.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Or at least half-vast!

While I will not pine for the days of 3 major networks, the ever-increasing abundance does not suit me well. I have limited interest in seeking out new shows that will appeal to me. Yeah, I know that will result in my missing some great stuff. But conversely, it will also save me from wasting my time on a bunch of crap. And, IMO, the vast majority of stuff on TV is - if not crap, at least not sufficiently good that I wouldn't rather be reading, making music, or doing just about anything else.

I only regularly watch maybe 5 shows on an ongoing basis. When I find a show that I like - as was the case w/ BCS - I get disappointed when I feel it has changed in a way that I don't like it as much. Heck, the last couple of episodes of Elementary have been VERY disappointing, so I'm thinking of dropping that show as well...

I've posted before of my dislike for Breaking Bad - truly a minority opinion. The more I could enjoy BCS on its own - rather than seeking tie-ins w/ BB, the better. And I often thought BCS had some of the best portrayals of actual lawyering that I'd seen on TV.

Whatever floats your boat, amigo. I find BCS excessively slow at times too, but it’s a different kind of drama. Overall I enjoy the character arcs and I’m often surprised by where they decide to go next.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Typical first ep for a new season; you have to sit through the exposition of how they got where they are (hence Howard's monologue at the end) and plow through the setup for the rest of the season. I liked the tequila Easter egg. I can do with less doting by Mike on his granddaughter.

Mike’s eternally youthful granddaughter. She doesn’t age even into the Breaking Bad years. In fact, she might get younger.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Yes! Excellent. Finally, a peek at Saul. Let Howard take the blame, he hates him anyway. And who cares if a damned fish dies.

Only two people ever meant anything to Jimmy - Chuck and Kim. He knocked himself out to impress/please/help them ... got a law degree through the mail, chose to specialize in elder law, took a job he hated with Davis & Main to make Chuck proud, also so he could pay off Kim’s law school loans and maybe start a practice, etc.

Chuck crushed him when he said he never gave a damn about what happened to Jimmy. Maybe he's starting to abandon hope of catching a break, to hell with idealism, he's tired of trying to do the "right thing" - which goes against his grain anyway.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

I love watching Jonathan Banks as Mike Ehrmantraut. I don't care how slow the show may be at times, watching Mike and wondering what he's thinking and planning is fascinating.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerblue View Post
Only two people ever meant anything to Jimmy - Chuck and Kim.
I can't agree with this. He definitely cared a lot about his parents, he was bothered by his father getting conned and wanted to help protect him, and we saw that he was clearly distraught when his mother died. He had a wife and him being upset by her cheating on him was what prompted the fateful Chicago Sunroof incident that led him to work at HHM. Marco clearly meant a lot to Jimmy too, he was very glad to see him and his death was not an easy thing for Jimmy to deal with. His parents died sometime before the show, his wife left him before the move to Albequerque, and Marco died in the first season so these probably are the only two people left who mean anything to Jimmy, but they're not the only ones ever.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I can't agree with this. He definitely cared a lot about his parents, he was bothered by his father getting conned and wanted to help protect him, and we saw that he was clearly distraught when his mother died. He had a wife and him being upset by her cheating on him was what prompted the fateful Chicago Sunroof incident that led him to work at HHM. Marco clearly meant a lot to Jimmy too, he was very glad to see him and his death was not an easy thing for Jimmy to deal with. His parents died sometime before the show, his wife left him before the move to Albequerque, and Marco died in the first season so these probably are the only two people left who mean anything to Jimmy, but they're not the only ones ever.

True, but they're the two in his current life that he desperately sought approval from. He cares about his clients too, but not in the same way.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:33 PM

(real nitpick, and completely irrelevant) did anyone else question the bench where Jimmy is sitting in front of the burned wreckage of Chuck's house ? He's sitting on a bench, appears to be across the street from Chuck's house, really despondent and Kim comes along and encourages him to "go home".
But he's sitting on a bench, across the street that is facing AWAY from the street (his back is to Chuck's house). Like the opposite of a bus bench. Except in downtown areas, I've never seen a bench placed purely for the use of pedestrians' convenience.
It has the appearance of one of those composite material benches you would find in a park, but I don't recall ever seeing that Chuck lived across the street from a park. It always appeared he lived in a typical suburban area.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. U. Shakespeare View Post
As far as I can remember, Jimmy doesn't really know the coast is clear. When he last saw Walter in "Granite State", he confided that he was disappearing because of the jailhouse killings ("When they start whacking the lawyers..."), apparently not realizing that it was Walt who'd ordered them. If and when he hears of the Aryan Brotherhood being wiped out by Waly in "Felina", he might put two and two together and breathe easy. (AFAIK, we don't know whether that's all happened, because we don't know how Gene's timeline synchs up with the last events of "Breaking Bad".)

ETA: What Sherrerd said.
Oh, I'm about 1000% sure he has no idea the coast is clear, that's what makes it so tragic. The BB timeline took up two years of in-show time, from Walt's 50th to 52nd birthdays. Hank found out about Gale through the Whitman book some time between birthday 51 and 52, and soon after that Walt went underground in NH, and Saul took the fast train to Omaha at the same window of time. His Cinnabon life is apparently well established, he's known to his crew and the people around the mall, he's established, which means that he's been there a while and the BB events are well in the past--and yet, he's still living every day looking over his shoulder, waiting for someone to finger him, that shot out of the dark that's never going to come because everyone's dead. He's effectively dead--everything that made him Jimmy and Saul is buried and gone and only sad pallid paranoid Gene is left, a shambling mall zombie relic. It's a tragedy of Shakespearean proportions, that such larger than life characters be reduced to so little.

The "slowness" of the show is what makes every single beat of that tragedy mean something--you don't lose a single bit of the awfulness of what's happening in the relief of fast banter or cheap laughs and nonstop bangbang action. Every step has its consequence, and the audience gets to experience it in the same crushing, inexorable way the characters do. Anyone complaining the show is slow and/or boring is simply not understanding or appreciating the artistry of what's being shown.

I'm going to miss this show when it's over, as it inevitably must be. I wonder if they'll go ahead and figure out a way to show all the other stuff Saul was up to as he was dealing with Walt and Jesse--that would be a feat of epic proportions.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormac262 View Post
(real nitpick, and completely irrelevant) did anyone else question the bench where Jimmy is sitting in front of the burned wreckage of Chuck's house ? He's sitting on a bench, appears to be across the street from Chuck's house, really despondent and Kim comes along and encourages him to "go home".

But he's sitting on a bench, across the street that is facing AWAY from the street (his back is to Chuck's house). Like the opposite of a bus bench. Except in downtown areas, I've never seen a bench placed purely for the use of pedestrians' convenience.

It has the appearance of one of those composite material benches you would find in a park, but I don't recall ever seeing that Chuck lived across the street from a park. It always appeared he lived in a typical suburban area.

I have a vague recollection of Chuck living across from a park, but I wouldn’t swear on it. It is odd that the bench wouldn’t be facing the street though.