Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 08-08-2018, 05:31 PM
DrCube is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Caseyville, IL
Posts: 7,506
So, who gets Chuck's money? Especially the $8 million Howard promised him last season, and the $1+ million dollar check Howard wrote him as a down payment? I'm surprised the subject hasn't even come up. The insurance money for the house fire alone is probably a fortune.

Jimmy's want ad days may be over soon. Or not. Chuck isn't the kind of guy not to have an up-to-date will and testament. And Jimmy has not been on his good side the last few years. But who else? Chuck had no one. Did he leave everything to his ex wife? A charity? HHM? And if he didn't have a will, does that mean Jimmy gets everything?
  #52  
Old 08-08-2018, 05:39 PM
Aspenglow's Avatar
Aspenglow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,256
I'd bet Chuck had a will, and it leaves everything to Rebecca.

I wonder if Jimmy will contest it.
  #53  
Old 08-08-2018, 05:48 PM
Blank Slate's Avatar
Blank Slate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
I have a vague recollection of Chuck living across from a park, but I wouldnít swear on it. It is odd that the bench wouldnít be facing the street though.
https://www.breakingbad-locations.co.../chucks-house/

There's a park and a bench, but it must have been a prop bench in this episode due to its location.
  #54  
Old 08-08-2018, 06:03 PM
Biffster's Avatar
Biffster is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 4,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
https://www.breakingbad-locations.co.../chucks-house/



There's a park and a bench, but it must have been a prop bench in this episode due to its location.


Awesome research! They likely had to build a burnt out house that looked similar due to not wanting to burn the actual one down. Then they put the bench where it would be most effective from a storytelling point of view.
  #55  
Old 08-08-2018, 06:48 PM
Dag Otto is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Las Cruces
Posts: 5,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
Oh, I'm about 1000% sure he has no idea the coast is clear, that's what makes it so tragic.
Even if he knew that no one from the criminal side was after him, he would still want to hide from law enforcement. Hell, a show or two about the investigations that surely followed after Hank and Walt's deaths might be interesting.
  #56  
Old 08-08-2018, 07:42 PM
Blank Slate's Avatar
Blank Slate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
Awesome research! They likely had to build a burnt out house that looked similar due to not wanting to burn the actual one down. Then they put the bench where it would be most effective from a storytelling point of view.
I got the sense that was entirely CGI, but I could be wrong.
  #57  
Old 08-08-2018, 08:41 PM
soonerblue is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: 35N98W
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormac262 View Post
It has the appearance of one of those composite material benches you would find in a park, but I don't recall ever seeing that Chuck lived across the street from a park. It always appeared he lived in a typical suburban area.
I remember an episode where Jimmy and Chuck are sitting on a park bench. Jimmy is happy to be working on a case with Chuck - 'the two McGill brothers, side by side, righting wrongs, knocking off the bad guys.' Chuck starts eyeing a transformer. Jimmy tells him to take off his shoes, 'feel the grass between your toes.' Chuck does, then says they should go back in, they have work to do.

BTW, yes, I should change what I said to - "Only two people mean anything to Jimmy - Chuck and Kim." I was thinking about his present-day life.
  #58  
Old 08-08-2018, 08:47 PM
SmartAleq's Avatar
SmartAleq is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PDXLNT
Posts: 5,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag Otto View Post
Even if he knew that no one from the criminal side was after him, he would still want to hide from law enforcement. Hell, a show or two about the investigations that surely followed after Hank and Walt's deaths might be interesting.
Thing is, though, the fact that he's not even trying to find out what's up or figure out an angle just highlights the tragedy--Saul got broken and all that's left is Gene. Poor schmuck is just getting comprehensively dismantled by life, aided and abetted by his own poor choices.
  #59  
Old 08-08-2018, 09:41 PM
Biffster's Avatar
Biffster is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 4,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
Thing is, though, the fact that he's not even trying to find out what's up or figure out an angle just highlights the tragedy--Saul got broken and all that's left is Gene. Poor schmuck is just getting comprehensively dismantled by life, aided and abetted by his own poor choices.

It’s gratifying and sobering that everything doesn’t work out in the end, and we’ve known that since BCS began. Still, it would be nice to see Gene catch a break once in a while.
  #60  
Old 08-08-2018, 09:46 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I can do with less doting by Mike on his granddaughter.
They should probably drop a reminder that Mike feels crushed by guilt about the death of his son, and his feelings for his son's daughter are all the more intense because of it.





Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
... I wonder if they'll go ahead and figure out a way to show all the other stuff Saul was up to as he was dealing with Walt and Jesse--that would be a feat of epic proportions.
I'd love if if they would. I expect all BB fans have questions about what Saul was doing.

But you're right: it would be a major writing challenge.
__________________
__________________

Thread on my books (inexpensive gifts!) https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=866609
  #61  
Old 08-09-2018, 08:11 AM
Dinsdale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 18,896
I thought the bench odd as well, as I remembered earlier eps when he stole a neighbor's newspaper or something. I realize it could have been on a different side of the house.

Neat research upthread showing the park. Man, that house looks even weirder in the satellite shot! Would like to know who picked that paint color. So hideous they couldn't simply repaint - they had to burn it down!
__________________
I used to be disgusted.
Now I try to be amused.
  #62  
Old 08-09-2018, 09:54 AM
Pantastic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
Jimmy's want ad days may be over soon. Or not. Chuck isn't the kind of guy not to have an up-to-date will and testament. And Jimmy has not been on his good side the last few years. But who else? Chuck had no one. Did he leave everything to his ex wife? A charity? HHM? And if he didn't have a will, does that mean Jimmy gets everything?
I think it would be really dumb and out of character if famed lawyer and knower of the Magna Carta Charles McGill went through the effort and voluminous paperwork required to press criminal and ethical charges against his brother but forgot to write a will that doesn't fund Jimmy's "Chimp with a machine gun" law practice. I'm quite certain that Chuck has a solidly witnessed will stored in multiple places that either gives Jimmy no money or sets conditions on getting the money that Jimmy would obviously reject. It's possible that his will leaves money back to HHM, since he pretty much lost his sanity right after retiring, but there's no way he accidentally left Slippin' Jimmy millions of dollars.
  #63  
Old 08-09-2018, 12:07 PM
DrCube is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Caseyville, IL
Posts: 7,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
I think it would be really dumb and out of character if famed lawyer and knower of the Magna Carta Charles McGill went through the effort and voluminous paperwork required to press criminal and ethical charges against his brother but forgot to write a will that doesn't fund Jimmy's "Chimp with a machine gun" law practice. I'm quite certain that Chuck has a solidly witnessed will stored in multiple places that either gives Jimmy no money or sets conditions on getting the money that Jimmy would obviously reject. It's possible that his will leaves money back to HHM, since he pretty much lost his sanity right after retiring, but there's no way he accidentally left Slippin' Jimmy millions of dollars.
Chuck had a lot of hubris. I think it's possible he thought he would never die, or at least not any time soon. Accomplished lawyer that he was, he couldn't foresee how his severe allergy to electricity would handicap his firm and force him to retire.

And Chuck was always doing highly prestigious work with large corporations and banks. Jimmy was the "Grandma's last will and testament" kind of lawyer. I'm sure if Chuck had a will it wouldn't include Jimmy. But I think it's within the realm of possibility that he never felt he needed one.
  #64  
Old 08-09-2018, 12:36 PM
Marvin the Martian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post
I thought he was irritated by the $8k taken out. I don't make that kind of money, is it standard for that much withholding on $18K?

And that led him to go investigate the company.
I thought when Lydia had Mike come in to sign the employment papers she mentioned that Gus would be covering any withholding so that Mike would net around $10k per paycheck.
  #65  
Old 08-09-2018, 12:44 PM
Marvin the Martian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post
I thought he was irritated by the $8k taken out. I don't make that kind of money, is it standard for that much withholding on $18K?

And that led him to go investigate the company.
To late to add:

In 2003 the required federal tax withholding on a biweekly $18K paycheck was around $6K. Add in Social Security/Medicaid (another $1.3K) and state/local taxes, plus some amount for benefits and $8K withholding is reasonable.
  #66  
Old 08-09-2018, 01:25 PM
Pantastic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
Chuck had a lot of hubris. I think it's possible he thought he would never die, or at least not any time soon. Accomplished lawyer that he was, he couldn't foresee how his severe allergy to electricity would handicap his firm and force him to retire.
His mental illness did not include any delusions of immortality, in fact he feared that electricity would kill him. There has never been any indication on the show that he believed this, and plenty that shows he knew very well that he was mortal. His love/hate relationship with Jimmy was a driving force in his life, there's no way that he never made the connection 'if I die without a will the Chimp with a machine gun gets enough money to start several law firms".

Quote:
And Chuck was always doing highly prestigious work with large corporations and banks. Jimmy was the "Grandma's last will and testament" kind of lawyer.
Chuck was someone who made a point of getting all of the paperwork in order and correct, that's why Jimmy's sabotage of his documents hurt him so badly. The fact that he didn't write wills as his regular job is irrelevant to this obsessive need to have things done properly. Do you really think that when he and Rebecca were married he left her future to 'oh well, whatever the probate court decides'?
  #67  
Old 08-09-2018, 01:28 PM
corkboard is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. U. Shakespeare View Post
Remember the time in Season 2 when Chuck took out a metronome and played sheet music (written by Rebecca IIRC) on the piano?

An orchestra version of that music was playing as people came up to Jimmy to offer condolences in the church right before the funeral, during which the camera panned to a sobbing Rebecca.
Thank you! I was wondering what that piece was- I knew I recognized it but couldn't place it.
  #68  
Old 08-09-2018, 01:37 PM
corkboard is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
I thought the bench odd as well, as I remembered earlier eps when he stole a neighbor's newspaper or something. I realize it could have been on a different side of the house.

Neat research upthread showing the park. Man, that house looks even weirder in the satellite shot! Would like to know who picked that paint color. So hideous they couldn't simply repaint - they had to burn it down!
I've wondered about that paint color as well. Chuck has decorated the interior with a designers eye for detail and aesthetics, high quality wood sitting room, finely appointed furniture, only the best of everything. And an exterior paint job that looks like it was attached by "a monkey with a spray can", mustard yellow. Definitely not Chuck's style.
  #69  
Old 08-09-2018, 03:06 PM
Nicest of the Damned is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 434
One of the job listings in the newspaper Jimmy is reading is for Beneke Fabricators (the company Skyler worked for in Breaking Bad). I love the little touches.
__________________
"We were once so close to Heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us The Nicest of the Damned"
-- They Might Be Giants
  #70  
Old 08-09-2018, 03:54 PM
Knada is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
So, who gets Chuck's money? Especially the $8 million Howard promised him last season, and the $1+ million dollar check Howard wrote him as a down payment? I'm surprised the subject hasn't even come up. The insurance money for the house fire alone is probably a fortune.

Jimmy's want ad days may be over soon. Or not. Chuck isn't the kind of guy not to have an up-to-date will and testament. And Jimmy has not been on his good side the last few years. But who else? Chuck had no one. Did he leave everything to his ex wife? A charity? HHM? And if he didn't have a will, does that mean Jimmy gets everything?
Kim. I believe Chuck may well have left his estate to Kim. I think Chuck respected Kimís work ethic and was perhaps a bit secretly in love with Kim. I can just see the smug smile on Chuckís face as he imagined Jimmy, Howard, and Rebeccaís reactions. I canít imagine a worse scenario for the Jimmy/Kim relationship.

I think Chuckís choice of executor could be a bit of fun too.

(a somewhat nervous first post in SDMB)
  #71  
Old 08-09-2018, 04:57 PM
Biffster's Avatar
Biffster is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 4,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicest of the Damned View Post
One of the job listings in the newspaper Jimmy is reading is for Beneke Fabricators (the company Skyler worked for in Breaking Bad). I love the little touches.


Gotta love the Easter eggs!
  #72  
Old 08-09-2018, 05:29 PM
hajario's Avatar
hajario is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 16,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicest of the Damned View Post
One of the job listings in the newspaper Jimmy is reading is for Beneke Fabricators (the company Skyler worked for in Breaking Bad). I love the little touches.
There was also one for the Laser Tag place.
  #73  
Old 08-10-2018, 09:18 AM
Pantastic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkboard View Post
I've wondered about that paint color as well. Chuck has decorated the interior with a designers eye for detail and aesthetics, high quality wood sitting room, finely appointed furniture, only the best of everything. And an exterior paint job that looks like it was attached by "a monkey with a spray can", mustard yellow. Definitely not Chuck's style.
Yeah, I wonder why they picked such an oddly-colored house for Chuck to live in, and it's never explained why he didn't repaint it into something more subdued to fit the tasteful, quiet interior decor. Never really gets explained in the show, seems like something they could have tied into his illness, quirks, or at least made a joke about.
  #74  
Old 08-10-2018, 12:37 PM
Marvin the Martian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
Yeah, I wonder why they picked such an oddly-colored house for Chuck to live in, and it's never explained why he didn't repaint it into something more subdued to fit the tasteful, quiet interior decor. Never really gets explained in the show, seems like something they could have tied into his illness, quirks, or at least made a joke about.
Hey, I had a house that was painted that color. It's not that bad. It was fairly common in the neighborhood, which was mostly built around 1970.

The painted brick, however, is an abomination.
  #75  
Old 08-10-2018, 01:22 PM
Pantastic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,380
Was the house still that color in 2002 though? I get 'it seemed like a good idea when we were wearing plaid bell bottoms with a gold medallion in the 1970s', but the house doesn't look like it's rocking a 30-40 year old paint job in the show. Also speaking of 70s (really 80s, but close enough), I'd still really love to see Chuck from BCS forced to interact with David St Hubbins from Spinal Tap, I think he would probably require medical treatment.
  #76  
Old 08-10-2018, 02:01 PM
rock party is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 684
The actual house is in the ABQ Country Club neighborhood. It faces a small park on one side, the actual front door side. In the show, they use the side door. The mailbox was put there for the show. They pull up and park on the house lined street, not the street shared with the park. The color looks more "bold" on TV, it's really kind of a muted gold/yellow and doesn't detract from the neighborhood.

I'm thinking Chuck left it all to HHM.
  #77  
Old 08-10-2018, 02:05 PM
Biffster's Avatar
Biffster is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 4,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock party View Post
The actual house is in the ABQ Country Club neighborhood. It faces a small park on one side, the actual front door side. In the show, they use the side door. The mailbox was put there for the show. They pull up and park on the house lined street, not the street shared with the park. The color looks more "bold" on TV, it's really kind of a muted gold/yellow and doesn't detract from the neighborhood.

I'm thinking Chuck left it all to HHM.

Awesome research! Moving the mailbox makes sense for the purposes of the show. Maybe the colour thing is like Captain Kirk’s greenish tunic that looked gold because of the studio lights (so they say).

I can’t see Chuck leaving it to HHM considered how disgracefully they showed him the door to retirement. I think Rebecca was about the only person he still had feelings for. Or he gave it all to charity.
  #78  
Old 08-10-2018, 03:15 PM
Marvin the Martian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
Was the house still that color in 2002 though?
It was in 1994 when we sold it. Aluminum siding on the sides and back of the house, front painted to match. According to Google Street View, at least the front has been painted white in the interim. And my memory was off, it was built in 1976.
  #79  
Old 08-10-2018, 03:24 PM
Marvin the Martian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock party View Post
I'm thinking Chuck left it all to HHM.
Chuck leaves it all to a trust set up to fund research into EM sensitivity.

I really hope they don't do the "reading of the will" trope. That doesn't happen in real life.
  #80  
Old 08-11-2018, 11:14 AM
Pantastic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
I canít see Chuck leaving it to HHM considered how disgracefully they showed him the door to retirement. I think Rebecca was about the only person he still had feelings for. Or he gave it all to charity.
I am actually pretty sure he didn't, because Chuck was shocked by the forced retirement, then went off the rails in a short time. It was something like 5 days from his retirement to suicide IIRC, so I can believe that he wasn't rational enough to sit down and rewrite the will, or that he decided he'd have time to rewrite it once he got done chasing down that last bit of electricity. If it was a month between the retirement and suicide then I'd agree, but I can see him not modifying it if it's only been a week. Also, who would he get to witness the new will? With his electrical allergy acting up, he can't call anyone and neither Jimmy nor HHM are coming by to check on him. And where would he put the will where he could be sure it would be found and accepted?

Even if he did decide to rewrite his will in his last week alive, it's actually pretty unlikely to stand up to scrutiny, since he'd have a hard time getting it witnessed and the fact that he set a fire to kill himself speaks to him not being in his right mind. Whatever he did with the will, it's certainly possible that Jimmy, Rebecca, Hamlin, or whoever is appointed as executor for his estate decides to contest it, since there is so much bad blood around.
  #81  
Old 08-11-2018, 11:23 AM
hajario's Avatar
hajario is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 16,149
He probably filed one last lawsuit to fuck with his detractors.
  #82  
Old 08-11-2018, 07:24 PM
dorvann is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 816
Considering Chuck was partners in a law firm, isn't reasonable to assume that the firm would insist all partners have a will on file in order to protect their interests?
  #83  
Old 08-11-2018, 07:34 PM
hajario's Avatar
hajario is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 16,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
Considering Chuck was partners in a law firm, isn't reasonable to assume that the firm would insist all partners have a will on file in order to protect their interests?
He wasn't at the time of his death. But he was way too organized to not have a will. Either everything will go to his ex-wife or it will end up somehow being a huge fuck you to Jimmy and Hamlin.
  #84  
Old 08-11-2018, 07:37 PM
Blank Slate's Avatar
Blank Slate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knada View Post
Kim. I believe Chuck may well have left his estate to Kim. I think Chuck respected Kimís work ethic and was perhaps a bit secretly in love with Kim. I can just see the smug smile on Chuckís face as he imagined Jimmy, Howard, and Rebeccaís reactions. I canít imagine a worse scenario for the Jimmy/Kim relationship.

I think Chuckís choice of executor could be a bit of fun too.

(a somewhat nervous first post in SDMB)
Welcome.

I like it, but it calls to mind a small problem. Doesn't Jimmy need to get married and divorced before he meets Walt? It seems like we're moving quickly into the Breaking Bad years.
  #85  
Old 08-11-2018, 07:44 PM
IvoryTowerDenizen's Avatar
IvoryTowerDenizen is offline
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Shore of LI
Posts: 19,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Welcome.

I like it, but it calls to mind a small problem. Doesn't Jimmy need to get married and divorced before he meets Walt? It seems like we're moving quickly into the Breaking Bad years.
I thought he was already divorced?
  #86  
Old 08-11-2018, 09:14 PM
Mr Shine is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
I thought he was already divorced?
Yes, I think the target of the "Chicago sunroof" was the guy his wife had an affair with.
  #87  
Old 08-11-2018, 10:07 PM
betterlifethroughchemistry is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knada View Post
Kim. I believe Chuck may well have left his estate to Kim. I think Chuck respected Kim’s work ethic and was perhaps a bit secretly in love with Kim. I can just see the smug smile on Chuck’s face as he imagined Jimmy, Howard, and Rebecca’s reactions. I can’t imagine a worse scenario for the Jimmy/Kim relationship.

I think Chuck’s choice of executor could be a bit of fun too.

(a somewhat nervous first post in SDMB)
Welcome!

An interesting twist would be for Jimmy to be named executor and would have to read out loud that Chuck left all of his money to anyone not named Jimmy McGill...Chuck is a consummate asshole, and that would be completely in character for him...yes, I know, the reading of the will would be unnecessarily melodramatic, so maybe Jimmy is just handed a copy...or better yet, Howard tells him...

Last edited by betterlifethroughchemistry; 08-11-2018 at 10:09 PM.
  #88  
Old 08-12-2018, 03:29 AM
TruCelt's Avatar
TruCelt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Washington, DC
Posts: 11,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormac262 View Post
. . .
But he's sitting on a bench, across the street that is facing AWAY from the street (his back is to Chuck's house). Like the opposite of a bus bench.
. . .
The same was true of the one Gene sat on after noping out of the taxi; it struck me as odd then. So when this one came up I thought "Really? Another one?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
Chuck had a lot of hubris. I think it's possible he thought he would never die, or at least not any time soon. Accomplished lawyer that he was, he couldn't foresee how his severe allergy to electricity would handicap his firm and force him to retire.

And Chuck was always doing highly prestigious work with large corporations and banks. Jimmy was the "Grandma's last will and testament" kind of lawyer. I'm sure if Chuck had a will it wouldn't include Jimmy. But I think it's within the realm of possibility that he never felt he needed one.
I feel certain that his will was set up during his marriage to leave everything to Rebecca. Chuck would not have changed it. He only had Jimmy and Rebecca, and he didn't like Jimmy.

Still, Rebecca will probably split it with Jimmy. I'm betting that's what paid for the legal office with the fake columns and the return of his devoted receptionist who we see again in BB. Jimmy/Saul would see it as enormously satisfying to spend Chuck's money on the tackiest law office possible.

Also, somebody mentioned insurance for the fire. I don't think there would be any payout on that. The fire was clearly negligence if not full out arson. There will be an applicable exception in the policy.

Going back to the beginning when Jimmy was paying the bills for Chuck, did he mention a mortgage? I wonder if the property will just revert to bank ownership?
  #89  
Old 08-12-2018, 01:17 PM
Tread is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
I don't think he actually feels that peppy about being the cause of what pushed Chuck over the edge.

.
I wonder if his remorse, and being reminded every time he mentions his name in ABQ, and gets asked were you related to Charles McGill?... what a terrible thing.
Will be one of the catalyst of the upcoming name change
  #90  
Old 08-12-2018, 01:50 PM
hajario's Avatar
hajario is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 16,149
Could the will leave him money with the stipulation that he canít practice law with the
McGill name?
  #91  
Old 08-12-2018, 03:45 PM
SlackerInc's Avatar
SlackerInc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 12,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
I hope the comment about you not getting to watch the show bc your husband controls the remote was a bit of hyperbole though....
I was hoping the same! Apparently in vain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
Interesting comment from the "Chuck Retrospective" is that he was originally going to be a weak character, who was basically helpless without Jimmy. Him being as manipulative, prideful, and strong-willed as he ended up is entirely due to Micheal McKean's acting.
And Howard was intended to be every bit the douchey villain he seemed. Despite how much I love this show (itís the best currently airing on TV IMO), I do feel that retcon was a little too abrupt and blatant, and I liked the scenario we were shown in the early episodes and wish it would have continued. At the same time, I did find the episode with Jimmyís disbarment hearing to be riveting, so I guess I contain multitudes.
  #92  
Old 08-12-2018, 04:23 PM
Pantastic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
Still, Rebecca will probably split it with Jimmy. I'm betting that's what paid for the legal office with the fake columns and the return of his devoted receptionist who we see again in BB. Jimmy/Saul would see it as enormously satisfying to spend Chuck's money on the tackiest law office possible.
Jimmy is already set up to get $1.6 million or more from the Sandpiper payout, it's just going to take time. I predict that is what buys the gaudy office, it's not impossible for him to get Chuck's money but I think it's more likely that there's a legal fight over it that he loses.

Quote:
Going back to the beginning when Jimmy was paying the bills for Chuck, did he mention a mortgage? I wonder if the property will just revert to bank ownership?
Unless there's a huge issue that's never been mentioned on the show, Chuck's estate should have more than enough money to pay off the mortgage. Remember that Howard was paying him something like $8 million dollars to buy him out of HHM, that's way more than the house would be worth. Money from an estate generally goes to settle debts before going to inheritors, and a bank would much rather get cash than a foreclosed property in general - and ESPECIALLY if there isn't a house, but just the burned-out remnants of one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
I like it, but it calls to mind a small problem. Doesn't Jimmy need to get married and divorced before he meets Walt? It seems like we're moving quickly into the Breaking Bad years.
Already been done. She hasn't appeared on the show, and probably won't, but she played a major role in the development of the show. Jimmy told us that was married to a woman back when he lived in Cicero. She cheated on him with a guy who drove a fancy car, when Jimmy found out he gave the guy a "Chicago Sunroof" without realizing the guy had left kids in the back seat. We saw in a flashback that he got charged with some kind of child sex crime, Chuck got him out of the charges on condition that he move to New Mexico and work a legit job at HHM, and in another flashback we saw Jimmy goodbye to Marco as he's leaving the area and his 'Slippin Jimmy' life.
  #93  
Old 08-12-2018, 04:37 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
Jimmy is already set up to get $1.6 million or more from the Sandpiper payout, it's just going to take time. I predict that is what buys the gaudy office, it's not impossible for him to get Chuck's money but I think it's more likely that there's a legal fight over it that he loses. ...
I think so, too. By the necessity imposed by the Breaking Bad timeline's inevitable approach, Jimmy has to get heavily involved with criminal defendants soon. And that will be a more plausible plot development if he's badly broke (as in, the Sandpiper money is years away, he has nothing from Chuck, the classified-ad jobs aren't working out, and he is desperate).
__________________
__________________

Thread on my books (inexpensive gifts!) https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=866609
  #94  
Old 08-12-2018, 04:56 PM
davidm's Avatar
davidm is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Near Philadelphia PA, USA
Posts: 12,550
I'm wondering if he'll somehow lose out on the Sandpiper money, or maybe somehow incur debt that eats it all up.
__________________
Check out my t-shirt designs in Marketplace. https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...php?p=21131885
  #95  
Old 08-12-2018, 05:44 PM
Blank Slate's Avatar
Blank Slate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
Already been done. She hasn't appeared on the show, and probably won't, but she played a major role in the development of the show. Jimmy told us that was married to a woman back when he lived in Cicero. She cheated on him with a guy who drove a fancy car, when Jimmy found out he gave the guy a "Chicago Sunroof" without realizing the guy had left kids in the back seat. We saw in a flashback that he got charged with some kind of child sex crime, Chuck got him out of the charges on condition that he move to New Mexico and work a legit job at HHM, and in another flashback we saw Jimmy goodbye to Marco as he's leaving the area and his 'Slippin Jimmy' life.
Ah, thanks. I remember it now. He told the whole story when he was running the bingo game for the old folks. I tried to find a video clip, but instead came across a Saul Goodman quote from Breaking Bad:

Quote:
I caught my second wife screwing my stepdad. OK? It's a cruel world, Walt. Grow up.
I guess we can chalk that up as 'Saul being Saul' instead of taking it literally.
  #96  
Old 08-12-2018, 07:31 PM
SlackerInc's Avatar
SlackerInc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 12,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
I guess we can chalk that up as 'Saul being Saul' instead of taking it literally.
I would be fine with that, but it doesnít seem to be their approach so far. I mean they had Gene actually manage a Cinnabon in Omaha, which is absurd if you think about it (Saul was just making a quip off the cuff, unless you think the vacuum guy already had this job lined up for him somehow AND Saul was stupid enough to tell Walt about it) even if it is undeniably funny as fanservice.
  #97  
Old 08-13-2018, 09:30 AM
Pantastic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
I think so, too. By the necessity imposed by the Breaking Bad timeline's inevitable approach, Jimmy has to get heavily involved with criminal defendants soon. And that will be a more plausible plot development if he's badly broke (as in, the Sandpiper money is years away, he has nothing from Chuck, the classified-ad jobs aren't working out, and he is desperate).
Well, he's got to spend the rest of the year suspended before he can actually start a law practice. I predict that this season will cover the rest of the non-lawyer year, but it's possible they could do more than one season in it, the seasons aren't that long in show time (they've generally covered a few months IIRC). I think Jimmy will end up doing under-the-table work for criminals while his license is suspended that leads him into the Saul practice, but they could go a different route.

I think that Jimmy getting the Sandpiper money, which lets him start his own practice gaudily decorated like we see in BB, at the same time as his relationship with Kim explodes and he's left with no one to care about in the world would work really well thematically for the show. Jimmy achieving a hollow triumph and putting on Happy Saul Face would certainly fit what's happened to him so far.
  #98  
Old 08-13-2018, 12:42 PM
McDeath_the_Mad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 961
Am I the only one who thought that maybe, just maybe the cab driver in the opening was Jessie?

We truly have no idea how long Gene has been making cinnamon buns. And once Jessie made his escape we have no idea what he did or where he went. Now the eyes of the driver looked a little haggard, but itís not like the last few months of Jessieís life on B.B. were rainbows and unicorns. And that could have been years after what went down in the finale of B.B. (Genes hair looked much thinner on top when he was on the stretcher then I recall in the final season of B.B.).

Just a thought...

MtM
__________________
/\/\cDeath the /\/\ad
  #99  
Old 08-13-2018, 01:04 PM
hajario's Avatar
hajario is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 16,149
Itís not Jesse. He wouldnít have left an obvious clue like the baseball logo visible.
  #100  
Old 08-13-2018, 01:30 PM
Biffster's Avatar
Biffster is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 4,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
It’s not Jesse. He wouldn’t have left an obvious clue like the baseball logo visible.

Plus the cab driver is listed in IMDb as being played by an actor named Don Harvey.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...24c49fcf50.png
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017