Old 08-13-2018, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

I keep reading opinions in these threads that the show is "slow." Or that a particular episode was slow. Enough so that some folks are contemplating bailing on the show.

Slow compared to what?

I don't watch hardly any TV in real time. But I have caught a few episodes of Quantico, where it's like:

"I'm working for the FBI!"

"I'm working for the CIA, infiltrating the FBI!"

"Oh, yeah? I'm pretending to work for the CIA, infiltrating the FBI, but actually I'm an FBI agent reporting on the CIA's double secret black-ops infiltrating the FBI!"

"Well, we have to work together to hack the secret terrorist group's computer system, which can't be done remotely. It can only be done if someone infiltrates the group and gains physical access to the computer!"

"Well, I've been undercover in that group for 2 years and they are just now beginning to trust me."

"Ok, good. But now you answer to this other agent who knows nothing. He'll infiltrate the group in 2 days and get that trusted access!"

MEANWHILE:

"We're all exposed to the deadly mutating virus pathogen and will be dead in 2 hours! Researchers at CDC have been working for decades on how to combat a shifting antigen virus, with no cure in sight!"

"But we have a green recruit who went to Johns Hopkins! Oh, good! He developed the serum in 11 hours and we're all saved!"

And this all before the first commercial break.

Is THAT what people have come to expect for a TV show in today's no-attention-span environment? What's wrong with letting characters develop and plots develop? BB and BCS are like novels. At times, you just have to leave some characters and arcs to develop others.

I love novels. If BCS eventually fails for me, it won't be because it is too slow. As long as it doesn't turn into "making it up as you go, with extra stupid," I'm in.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:58 PM

Divemaster, I love it. And BCS is nowhere near as slow as “Rectify”, which is also a critical darling that I enjoy, but I could at least understand how it might make some people impatient.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
Well, he's got to spend the rest of the year suspended before he can actually start a law practice. I predict that this season will cover the rest of the non-lawyer year, but it's possible they could do more than one season in it, the seasons aren't that long in show time (they've generally covered a few months IIRC). I think Jimmy will end up doing under-the-table work for criminals while his license is suspended that leads him into the Saul practice, but they could go a different route.

I think that Jimmy getting the Sandpiper money, which lets him start his own practice gaudily decorated like we see in BB, at the same time as his relationship with Kim explodes and he's left with no one to care about in the world would work really well thematically for the show. Jimmy achieving a hollow triumph and putting on Happy Saul Face would certainly fit what's happened to him so far.
Makes sense to me, especially the 'Jimmy does under-the-table work for criminals' bit, which might help tie the Jimmy and Mike storylines together a bit more overtly than has been the case so far.

And of course it won't just be 'Kim becomes disillusioned about Jimmy and leaves him'...there will be some stuff that happens.

divemaster, you're quite right about shows like Quantico. There are TV offerings for people with short attention spans (NCIS, Criminal Minds, Quantico, etc.) and TV offerings for people who like nuance and careful character development. As it should be.

Thread on my books (inexpensive gifts!) https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=866609
Old 08-13-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Makes sense to me, especially the 'Jimmy does under-the-table work for criminals' bit, which might help tie the Jimmy and Mike storylines together a bit more overtly than has been the case so far.
Someone floated the idea on another board that maybe his work with the copier sales guys leads him into helping someone criminal make fake IDs, possibly it's how he meets the 'vacuum salesman'. They show enough of the copier interview in the previews that I expect that to be a running plot development.

Quote:
And of course it won't just be 'Kim becomes disillusioned about Jimmy and leaves him'...there will be some stuff that happens.
It could be a blowup over how Chuck's will gets handled. Howard is likely named as executor for the estate, and Jimmy will probably try to claim some of Chuck's money. That could turn into a really nasty fight that involves too many shenanigans for Kim to stomach. Also whenever she finds out that Jimmy's acting is what led to Chuck's insurance rise there may be a problem, especially if Jimmy is really being nasty to Howard over it.

Quote:
divemaster, There are TV offerings for people with short attention spans (NCIS, Criminal Minds, Quantico, etc.) and TV offerings for people who like nuance and careful character development.
I'm really surprised that anyone who thinks the first episode this season was slow made it past the older episodes like "Mike takes a car apart, then puts it back together."

Last edited by Pantastic; 08-13-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:59 PM

So Chuck's ex-wife 'inherited the house'? What house? The insurance company is going to give her a check? Does insurance company think the fire was an accident, or arson? And what about the money Chuck had? Who is going to get that?
Old 08-14-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. U. Shakespeare View Post
Remember the time in Season 2 when Chuck took out a metronome and played sheet music (written by Rebecca IIRC) on the piano?

An orchestra version of that music was playing as people came up to Jimmy to offer condolences in the church right before the funeral, during which the camera panned to a sobbing Rebecca.
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkboard View Post
Thank you! I was wondering what that piece was- I knew I recognized it but couldn't place it.
'kk, this was driving me a little crazy. The music wasn't written by Rebecca. It's a piece called Sicilienne, by Gabriel Fauré. You almost had me convinced, though, F. U. Shakespeare!
Old 08-14-2018, 08:04 AM

Rhea Seehorn's performance in last night's episode was spectacular.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

So Jimmy got a job offer for a job he'd probably be good at and he turned it down. Why? Was he really disgusted that they would hire him so quickly? That seems unlikely.

Was it so he could have Mike steal some hummels? Has he decided he's not going to do honest work anymore, and just be a straight up criminal? If so, then why go on the job interview, and why go back in and try the hard sell?
Old 08-14-2018, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SykoSkotty View Post
Definitely.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
So Jimmy got a job offer for a job he'd probably be good at and he turned it down. Why? Was he really disgusted that they would hire him so quickly? That seems unlikely.

Was it so he could have Mike steal some hummels? Has he decided he's not going to do honest work anymore, and just be a straight up criminal? If so, then why go on the job interview, and why go back in and try the hard sell?
My "take" was that he is very hurt/upset over his brother's death, and treated the guys at the copier place much like Chuck treated him. I think the "scheme" to steak the hummels came to him later. Otherwise, why go back in for the second attempt at the job, given that he had already seen the trophy case?
Old 08-14-2018, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I interpreted it that Jimmy realized on the spot (or confirmed what he already knew) that he could sell anything to anyone. He doesn't need to be a salaryman or work commissions for someone else.

I don't think he went into the interview to try to play them, but it dawned on him (and he probably felt disgusted with himself for slumming; Copier sales? Really?), that all he needs is his charm and fast talking. Add to that tossing away any morals and scruples, and the world is his.

I think the Hummel theft is just opportunity knocking.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:03 PM

One thing I really like about this show is that they pull plot twists that aren't cheap. It's easy to 'surprise' people by just having someone randomly die, or having established characters reverse their usual behavior for no reason, but it's not entertaining to me. I didn't expect Kim to be angry at Howard for coming to Jimmy with the Chuck suicide theory, but it makes perfect sense from all of the characters' perspectives. Kim ripping Howard a new one was a great scene, even though I don't think Howard is actually being a bad guy from an outsider's perspective. His helpless question of how to make things right shows how out of his element he is, he's used to knowing and doing the 'correct' thing at every turn and it's not working here. I wonder if he's like Jimmy and doesn't actually have a lot of close connections with people; he's married, but his wife may be just there because he's supposed to have one. If that's so, him confiding in Jimmy makes even more sense.

Jimmy not contesting the will makes sense, I thought he would but realistically there's not much chance of him doing anything to it, since Chuck would be sure to make it airtight. I like Chuck's little dig by making the 'to be clear you're excluded' payout $4000 instead of the $5000 that Kim expected, that kind of pettiness fits him. I think the letter is going to be an important plot point - Kim hasn't shown it to Jimmy, if she doesn't soon then he might be angry that she kept it secret. And what's in the letter? It could be Chuck being an ass, but that wouldn't be all that interesting - what if Chuck left some kind of apology or confession; the letter could even be from before the events of the show?

Gus showing his brutal side for (IIRC) the first time in BCS was great. Ponytail chuckling at how Gus's guys were pissing themselves while shadows moved between the trucks in the parking lot was a great visual. Nacho is pretty well screwed, but at least Gus will probably be willing to leave his father out of anything. Also Gus's annoyed "Then I suggest you get him a badge" to Lydia was such a great line. I think Gus is actually glad to have Mike actively poking around at Madrigal, since he figures Mike will soon be a set of eyes for him.

Quote:
I think their easily suckered nature reminds him of his father falling for con artist after con artist, and that he doesn't really respect people that he can con, even though he's good at it. Also I think he feels like he tried to go at it honestly and failed, but then went into full on "Slippin Jimmy" con man and got the job on the spot without really doing much, and he's conflicted about that. Also the guy being so contemptuous of the figurines seemed to either bother him or give him the idea for a scam (or both).

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
So Chuck's ex-wife 'inherited the house'? What house? The insurance company is going to give her a check? Does insurance company think the fire was an accident, or arson? And what about the money Chuck had? Who is going to get that?
The only one who thought it was suicide is Howard, it looks like everyone else thinks it was a sick old man who had an accident. The papers she signed would give her rights to the house, so she'd own the property and the insurance payout. The rest of Chuck's money is going partly to the scholarship, and the rest to other non-Jimmy places that will probably never be detailed.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:06 PM

Lydia was always out of her depth as a bad guy and it showed. Mike the Cop pointed out how having him on the books and never showing up could cause problems and she doesn't get it. Gus, the probable former Chilean Intelligence officer also comprehends quickly and is clearly annoyed at Lydia.

Of course, Mike has ensured that even if he is forced to stay away he has a plausible excuse ("I went, but the ladyboss was unhappy that I was doing my job, got into a stink and she told me to stop, between you and me, I think she only hired me for to fulfil some technical requirement, they are Germans and are anal on following procedures.

As for the "bag over the head", won't it be easy to simply chew through the plastic to make an airhole(s) and then use your tongue to make it bigger?

Last edited by AK84; 08-14-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:14 PM

I think that the whole Hummel figurine thing was handled all wrong. A simple "Hey, my aunt collects those things. What do you want for the whole batch." might have done the trick. Especially since the guys at the copier place had already said they pretty much regarded the stuff as so much junk. They might named some absurdly low figure, given that they have no idea of what these things are worth, and felt like they were ripping Jimmy off. Now, when they turn up stolen, they'll remember that asshole they interviewed and that he took notice of them.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:34 PM

Regarding Chuck's suicide, I see Chuck, at the end of his life, as being disgusted at his relapse. His last round of ripping wires out of the walls and generally destroying his own house in a manic state was enough that he could see the cycle starting all over again. He would likely be institutionalized, banished from the only thing that still gave him joy (his work), and forced to have Jimmy in his life. Chuck probably wondered how much of his paranoia about his brother was justified and how much of it was part of his mental illness.

Chuck wanted to strike out at his enemies and he chose the fire as his weapon.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:09 PM

During Jimmy's job interview, when copier guy mentioned the one "Blasto 5000" model was popular in Chicago for counterfeiting $5 bills, did anyone think Jimmy was involved in that back then?
Old 08-14-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
As for the "bag over the head", won't it be easy to simply chew through the plastic to make an airhole(s) and then use your tongue to make it bigger?
So easy, you should try it! Don't forget that to be a fair test you have to be hog tied by a couple guys after they zip tie the bag around your face as you're panicking and being thrown to the ground. My goodness, what a wimp that guy was to just die like that, tsk tsk.

Jimmy's in the middle of an existential crisis. He gave up his "Slippin' Jimmy" persona to follow his idealized older brother into the law then got royally fucked by that brother who then offed himself spectacularly in a final "fuck you" to Jimmy. So now he's not a lawyer for the next year, that persona is tainted anyway but he's outgrown his conman persona and really can't quite settle into just being Joe Lunchbag. He needs the risks to keep his brain occupied so he doesn't go crazy with all the stress in his brain going on. He was perfectly okay with being an elder law practitioner, helping out the old folks and cutting a few corners to get it done but still basically an okay guy. Now all that's been stripped away and he's seething with emotional pain. He feels he has to do something to settle that down and the discipline of setting up some criminal jobs sounds like just the ticket. Poor bastard.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
. Now, when they turn up stolen, they'll remember that asshole they interviewed and that he took notice of them.
Yes, that seems obvious---and it would be obvious to Jimmy, too.

So I was wondering if he sees some angle in setting up Mike, or in having something on Mike (assuming Mike agrees to do the job).

But it's probably just that Jimmy is making bad, even masochistic decisions, in the aftermath of Chuck's 'fuck you, Jimmy' death.

Thread on my books (inexpensive gifts!) https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=866609
Old 08-14-2018, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Remember the time in Season 2 when Chuck took out a metronome and played sheet music (*written by Rebecca IIRC) on the piano?

An orchestra version of that music was playing as people came up to Jimmy to offer condolences in the church right before the funeral, during which the camera panned to a sobbing Rebecca.
Self-correction: it's Sicilienne, by French composer Gabriel Fauré.

*I had remembered Rebecca's name being on the sheet music.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Self-correction: it's Sicilienne, by French composer Gabriel Fauré.

*I had remembered Rebecca's name being on the sheet music.

So it's still the same piece being played at Chuck's funeral that he was attempting to play with the metronome?
Old 08-14-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Lydia was always out of her depth as a bad guy and it showed. Mike the Cop pointed out how having him on the books and never showing up could cause problems and she doesn't get it. Gus, the probable former Chilean Intelligence officer also comprehends quickly and is clearly annoyed at Lydia.
I suspect that Gus is also happy to have someone with an interest in not getting caught poking around Lydia's operation to shore up security, if Mike can just walk in and get tons of records like that then someone else could just as easily. Gus probably couldn't force Lydia to let him poke into her business himself, but now he's got a man inside who's on the books as doing that sort of thing.

Quote:
Have you tried chewing holes through a heavy-duty plastic bag that doesn't have a lot of slack using only your mouth to get a grip? I don't think it's an easy thing to do, even when you haven't just been scared to death, thrown to the ground, and are only breathing the air in the bag. Since it's been used in real murders, I think it's not that easy to get out of. Also even if he did manage to escape the bag, he's helplessly zip-tied in front of a bunch of armed men who want him dead, so it's not like it would do him much good.

Quote:
I think that the whole Hummel figurine thing was handled all wrong. A simple "Hey, my aunt collects those things. What do you want for the whole batch." might have done the trick. Especially since the guys at the copier place had already said they pretty much regarded the stuff as so much junk. They might named some absurdly low figure, given that they have no idea of what these things are worth, and felt like they were ripping Jimmy off. Now, when they turn up stolen, they'll remember that asshole they interviewed and that he took notice of them.
Actually, I don't think Jimmy is going to hire Mike for a B&E job, because it doesn't seem like Mike would take it. Stealing collectables to resell seems like a really risky job that Mike wouldn't take on because it's too easy to get caught, especially since the business owners will think of Jimmy. Plus he'd be stealing from innocents, which isn't his way - he was fine robbing an embezzler or the cartel, but he doesn't knock over regular people's houses for cash. I think Jimmy's going to get Mike to come in as an old man who's deceased wife used to collect them (or some similar sob story) and offer to buy the whole set for 'my life savings of $500' or something along those lines, like the reverse of the coin scam he used to pull with Marco.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

ETA: Aspenglow already corrected this above.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath94 View Post
During Jimmy's job interview, when copier guy mentioned the one "Blasto 5000" model was popular in Chicago for counterfeiting $5 bills, did anyone think Jimmy was involved in that back then?
Yeah, I thought that when I saw the copier bit in the preview clip. I'm pretty sure that's exactly what Jimmy's experience was with that particular model.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
So it's still the same piece being played at Chuck's funeral that he was attempting to play with the metronome?
Yes.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

I'm a bit late to this since I let the shows stack up on my DVR a little. Really glad to have the show back, but count me among the number who found the first 2 episodes a bit dour and plodding. I actually was tuning out a little bit at times and had to rewind to figure out what the deal was with the Hummel on fake eBay since I must have been glancing at my phone during the start of the interview scene. I also didn't really like the ambiguity about Jimmy's turn after the interview. Maybe they'll explain it later, but it just seemed out of left field. Something changed his mind or prompted him to go back for the second conversation. Jimmy's reaction to Howard's confession seemed more than a little bizarre too. I guess this is just their way of showing Jimmy going off the rails as he fails to cope, but right now it's just question marks from me. Jimmy will probably come clean to Kim at some point and lay it all out, but these 2 episodes felt a bit empty.

Here's to hoping for more Mike and Gus. Those cat and mouse games always have a pay off and make sense once it's all said and done.

Last edited by Omniscient; 08-14-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Amen. Superb. And Michael Mando's performance watching his friend die was chilling. I could only watch through my fingers.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:51 PM

[QUOTE=Pantastic;21146369] I think their easily suckered nature reminds him of his father falling for con artist after con artist, and that he doesn't really respect people that he can con, even though he's good at it. QUOTE]

I agree, That's why Jimmy couldn't accept the "win." He lashed out at the copier guys because they were so gullible and reminded him of his father.

I remember a scene where young Jimmy is working in his father's store and tries to warn him about a grifter, but his father insisted on helping the man. The grifter told Jimmy, "There are wolves and sheep in this world kid… figure out which you're going to be."
Old 08-14-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
He hasn't actually mentioned anything about stealing them yet. As my wife observed, he could just ask Mike to show up there on some other pretext and "notice" them: "Hey, my Mom loves those things! Would you take a hundred bucks for the lot?"

Edit: Ninja'd by Pantastic

Last edited by PaulParkhead; 08-14-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:04 AM

I find this show incredibly gripping. I can’t understand the “plodding” complaints at all. De gustibis, but it’s truly mystifying to me.

Quote:
Right? I already felt that way about Seehorn, but this episode took it to 11. Get this woman an Emmy!
Old 08-15-2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Actually, I don't think Jimmy is going to hire Mike for a B&E job, because it doesn't seem like Mike would take it. Stealing collectables to resell seems like a really risky job that Mike wouldn't take on because it's too easy to get caught, especially since the business owners will think of Jimmy. Plus he'd be stealing from innocents, which isn't his way - he was fine robbing an embezzler or the cartel, but he doesn't knock over regular people's houses for cash. I think Jimmy's going to get Mike to come in as an old man who's deceased wife used to collect them (or some similar sob story) and offer to buy the whole set for 'my life savings of $500' or something along those lines, like the reverse of the coin scam he used to pull with Marco.
I think you're on the right track here. Jimmy wouldn't steal the figurines; he's a con-man, not a thief.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I find this show incredibly gripping. I can’t understand the “plodding” complaints at all.
I can understand how some people would find the pace of the show too slow for their liking...but I agree that it's part of what makes the show so great.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:23 AM

But it’s so tense! This bit from Alan Sepinwall’s Rolling Stone review lines up with my experience:

Quote:
This is only the second Saul episode (after Season One’s “Mijo”) to be directed by Michelle MacLaren, the best regular Breaking Bad director (“4 Days Out,” “One Minute,” “To’hajiilee”). There aren’t any big action beats for her to flex that particular muscle, but she gets great work out of the cast (Seehorn and Mando in particular) and the tension is palpable throughout.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:52 AM

The Hummel figures could be a much more elaborate scan than simple theft.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:12 AM
Charter Member

I agree that having Mike go to the copier place on some pretext and then offering to buy the Hummels makes more sense than a burglary.

I do think there's another possibility however. The manager mentioned that he's planning to throw them in the trash. Could Jimmy be planning to ask Mike to periodically dumpster dive outside the place looking for the Hummels?

Whatever the plan, I think it's likely that somehow or other it's going to end up a complicated mess. Maybe Mike will find something much more interesting than Hummels in the trash.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerblue View Post
Quote:
I think their easily suckered nature reminds him of his father falling for con artist after con artist, and that he doesn't really respect people that he can con, even though he's good at it.
I agree, That's why Jimmy couldn't accept the "win." He lashed out at the copier guys because they were so gullible and reminded him of his father.

I remember a scene where young Jimmy is working in his father's store and tries to warn him about a grifter, but his father insisted on helping the man. The grifter told Jimmy, "There are wolves and sheep in this world kid… figure out which you're going to be."
Totally agree with this, and I would add that Jimmy's most recent experience of people falling for his smooth-talking ways* has been sufficiently traumatic for this to crystallise for him. There's also, probably, an element of blame/transference here: if you idiots had the wit to see through my shenanigans, then the world would be spared a lot of misery. It's really your fault for letting me get away with this nonsense. Taking it out on them was a way of taking it out on every sucker who'd ever suffered having fallen for his patter, (e.g. Irene, the Air Force guard) and on one in particular.

There's also the self-destructive element to what he did - clearly, Jimmy could do very well as a salesman but that's not the life he wants. As SmartAleq says, he's looking for something else. This goes back to Season 1, where he doesn't stick to the money he and Mike took from the idiot embezzler client, but later asks himself what he was possibly thinking by not taking it. That instinct got derailed by the Sandpiper case and the prospect of legit millions, and then further by the feud with Chuck over Mesa Verde etc. etc. But we've seen Jimmy articulate quite clearly that he's ready and willing to go outside the law to get rich, and that (as we know, of course) is the path he's now ready to revisit.

*He didn't lie as such when he let the insurance know about Chuck, but he was manipulating them by spinning his presentation of the story and they never even knew it.

Also, while I'm coming in to agree with people (UK doesn't get BCS till Tuesday), Rhea Seehorn's performance was amazing this week. Not only in the unleashing of fury at Howard (and I loved that she even then didn't absolutely lose control, just as far as she would ever let herself) but also in the quiet moments when she was interacting with Jimmy. There's a measured quality to the way she reacts to him that suggests she's at least considering that she's seeing a performance (especially with hyper early breakfast juice Jimmy, but also with "Hey, they offered me a job. Didn't take it" Jimmy in the evening). She's doubtless putting that performance down to covering grief and I felt that her anger at Howard comes from the fact that she's measuring Jimmy's grief by the thickness of the facade she sees. Of course, that facade is about more than grief, and it's when she realises that she's been wasting her emotional intensity on an unrepentant conman that it's all going to go south.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I find this show incredibly gripping. I can’t understand the “plodding” complaints at all. De gustibis, but it’s truly mystifying to me.
I agree with this. It's amazing how fast an hour goes when watching each episode!
Old 08-15-2018, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Stanislaus' mention of Jimmy's hyper breakfast making reminds me of how often Gilligan uses breakfast scenes.

I think this particular scene may be a callback to Walt frantically making breakfast in a desperate attempt to reclaim a normal family life and Skyler not buying it.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I agree with this. It's amazing how fast an hour goes when watching each episode!
This. It has to be the fastest 'slow' show on TV. It feels like I've only been watching 15 minutes when the episode ends.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Have you tried chewing holes through a heavy-duty plastic bag that doesn't have a lot of slack using only your mouth to get a grip? I don't think it's an easy thing to do, even when you haven't just been scared to death, thrown to the ground, and are only breathing the air in the bag. Since it's been used in real murders, I think it's not that easy to get out of. Also even if he did manage to escape the bag, he's helplessly zip-tied in front of a bunch of armed men who want him dead, so it's not like it would do him much good.
I want to know how they do a stunt like that. Plastic bags are pretty flimsy, and will easily be sucked to your mouth and nose when you inhale. How do they make it work for the actors and keep them safe? Had the same question in Lucky Number Slevin where both bad guys are executed with plastic bags. Seems there must be some trick to it other than, "trust us, you'll be ok while you can't breathe," but I can't see it.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:

I was wondering about that as well, but then there was a blink-and-you-miss-it moment when it looked like he was trying to do just that, but failed. This moment also showed that the bag wasn't a thin plastic, but a much heavier industrial type bag, which would be far more difficult to bite through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
I also didn't really like the ambiguity about Jimmy's turn after the interview. Maybe they'll explain it later, but it just seemed out of left field. Something changed his mind or prompted him to go back for the second conversation.

It's the entire theme of BCS, encapsulated in one short scene. Jimmy tries to play it straight, and get a job as a salesman, does all the usual job interview things, shows enthusiasm and knowledge of the job, and gets blown off with a "We'll think about it for a week" line that everyone knows is just a soft "no". Then he just says "Screw that! you think I can't sell?" and goes full Slippin' Jimmy, gives it to them with both barrels and blows them away. He gets the job, but then throws it away out of contempt for the "suckers". Those losers don't deserve to have Slippin' Jimmy doing their bidding as a copier sales guy. Slippin' Jimmy is bound for better things.

It's what the whole series is about, all in five minutes.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:26 PM

The saddest part about it is that I'm pretty sure that if Chuck had kept out of Jimmy's private practice he'd have settled down and made it work being legit--he only came out of persona when Kim's livelihood was being threatened. He was willing to settle down, make a life of elder law and give up being a conman all for Kim but Chuck had to come in and threaten that life and now he's in a spiral again--and this one's probably going to be the spiral that causes Kim to give up on him and turn him full Saul. But no, Chuck's inflexibility and snotty idealization of THE LAW uber alles were too strong and the fucking dick just had to keep pushing--I mean, granted, his own assholishness ended up losing everything he valued and then his life as well but did he have to take his brother down with him? What an asshole.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:14 PM

Mike would never go for a petty theft of knick-knacks. So, there is something else going on with this. Or maybe not.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Mike would never go for a petty theft of knick-knacks. So, there is something else going on with this. Or maybe not.
I hope it's something else. He's getting $10,000 "paychecks", why would he risk jail or whatever for a one-time $4000?
Old 08-15-2018, 01:55 PM

Yeah, Jimmy might float that idea past him but no way Mike would go for it.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

I think the Hummel that Jimmy was looking at online had a price over $8,000, and there was more than one.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:58 PM

Didn't Jimmy say something about "$4,000 for each of us" to Mike during the quick preview of next week's show? The one Hummel he looked up was advertised for around $8,000 .

I understand the Hummel market has crashed and they aren't worth much any more, except for possible a few rarities.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
Didn't Jimmy say something about "$4,000 for each of us" to Mike during the quick preview of next week's show? The one Hummel he looked up was advertised for around $8,000 .

I understand the Hummel market has crashed and they aren't worth much any more, except for possible a few rarities.

I keep remembering something was significant about “Alpine Shepherd Boy.”
Old 08-15-2018, 04:00 PM

Something that went totally over my head about that scene where Kim confronts Howard: their attention to detail extends even to hairstyling.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/08/bette...-ponytail.html
Quote:
When Kim wears that ponytail in a courtroom or other work-oriented setting — and that’s usually where she wears it — it is a reflection of her strength and sense of order. No strand is out of place. The coil is curled perfectly, as if it were sculpted with plans to put this ponytail on display in a museum. It is a ponytail that could only spring from the scalp of a grown woman who is formidable and unflappable. It’s a total power pony.

But the ponytail, by nature, also has a whiff of girlish energy about it. A high and tight one like Kim’s is associated with cheerleaders and elementary-schoolers whose mothers insist that they look their best on class picture day. The way it swirls is reminiscent of the pigtails once worn by Cindy Brady, the baby of The Brady Bunch who swore she didn’t sound like a baby, even though she totally did. Kim Wexler is smart enough to grasp all this, and that’s probably why she chose the ponytail, too, aside from the practicality that comes with just putting up her hair and forgetting about it. Kim wants her colleagues to take her seriously, but in a male-dominated profession — and also in a firm like her former one, Hamlin, Hamlin & McGill — she realizes that it doesn’t hurt to subtly project a bit of youthful femininity.[...]

After her car accident, an event brought on by work-related fatigue, Kim’s ponytail went on sabbatical, partly because she hasn’t been working and also, perhaps, because trying to tie a ponytail that sublime is next to impossible with a broken arm.
But Kim managed to pull it off in last week’s episode at the funeral for Chuck McGill (Michael McKean), brother of Jimmy (Bob Odenkirk), an event that she knew would be attended by plenty of her former colleagues. On an occasion that required her to pay her respects and also look like her usual professional self, she got her ponytail on. Which is why it’s extra-notable that for her confrontation with Howard (Patrick Fabian) — the big, gangbusters scene in “Breathe” — she didn’t.[...]

Stay away,” Kim tells Howard when he asks what he can do to make things right. You get the sense that she’s drawing a similar line between herself and her past life, too. If the shouting and well-earned rage don’t already give that away, all you have to do is take one look at her hair in this scene to see it.

It’s in a ponytail, as it usually is when she sees Howard. But that ponytail is gathered at the nape of her neck, and it’s messy — not organized neatly into its usual twist. Her hair is basically half-down and half-up, a reflection of the career and moral limbo Kim is about to face. Most significantly, that ponytail isn’t fastened with the typical rubber band that blends in perfectly with Kim’s soft blonde hair. In a final screw you to Howard Hamlin, one that Howard would never notice in a million years, she shoves her hair into a barette. A barette. No other hair accessory says quite as loudly and clearly: “I have stopped giving a shit what you think.” Well, maybe a scrunchie, but that also says, “I have stopped giving a shit how I look,” and Kim is definitely not there yet.
I’m not sure if the interpretation here is correct, but it’s still impressive attention to detail. Once I went back to look at the scene and compared it with the funeral, I totally saw what they were talking about. But I think the implication is more likely that Jimmy would have helped her with the ponytail for the funeral, but for her secret trip to Howard’s office they used a look she could plausibly create with just one working arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post

I feel the same.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 08-15-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:20 PM

Did anyone else find the plastic bag scene physically difficult to watch? Not how I wanna go.

And no, you cannot chew your way out of a plastic bag when hog-tied. Think of the physics of it.

mmm
Old 08-15-2018, 05:50 PM

The post-opening credits scene with Nacho and his father was absolutely heartbreaking.