Old 08-22-2018, 05:11 PM

Do we know that the cartel is dealing in meth yet? The packages seem to my untrained eye to be cocaine (fine powder rather than crystals). Recall that in the BB flashback to when Hector met Don Eladio that Eladio was vehemently opposed to meth. I'm thinking that Gus will take the interruption in the cocaine supply to start switching over to meth production and distribution. The cartel will be pissed off until they see how much money Gus is bringing in.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
...Jimmy spent a lot of time with Mrs. Strauss going over her Hummel collection, including who was getting which one. I'm confident that one of the things she went over is distinguishing the different ones so that the wrong one didn't go to the cousin she didn't like, and that's where Jimmy learned to tell them apart.
Good points, Pantastic. I guess I'd forgotten that it was implied that Jimmy did spend a lot of time with Mrs. Strauss.

By the way, the plot device of the 'variants of widely-differing values' seems to be invented--at least with regard to Hummels. There IS a 'Bavarian Boy' Hummel, but it doesn't resemble the Wanderer one.

The writer(s) may have gotten the idea from Ty Beanie Babies. I believe there are some look-alike variants that have widely-differing values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerblue View Post
Back when HHM was treating her shitty and that high-dollar firm was plying her with Moscow Mules trying to hire her away, I think she told them her hometown was on the Kansas/Nebraska border. They asked why she left and she looked sort of uneasy when she said, "no opportunities."
We all jumped on that and said, "yeah, there's more there than meets the eye!"
I think you're right about that. I'm one of those who believe that Kim's strong reaction in the room with the bank-expansion models had to do with the mention of Nebraska in particular. But we shall see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey1505 View Post
I wondered if he may have bought it from Ed the Extractor.
Heh. Could be! The writers do love their Easter eggs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Maybe in Nebraska she's "Slippin' Kimmy"
That is TOO good. ^_^
Old 08-22-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Maybe in Nebraska she's "Slippin' Kimmy"
Heh. Yep, maybe she's so super ethical and such a stickler for the rules because she doesn't dare draw attention to herself.

She does have a natural talent for it, remember how exhilarated she was after she and Jimmy conned that obnoxious stock market guy into buying them the most expensive tequila in the world.

BTW - I loved the way she jumped Jimmy's bones on movie night in “Breathe.”
Old 08-23-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Heh. Yep, maybe she's so super ethical and such a stickler for the rules because she doesn't dare draw attention to herself.
I wouldn't be surprised if there's something along those lines, because she doesn't seem to have a natural inclination to follow the rules the way that Chuck or Howard do - she liked pulling the tequila scam, she helped Jimmy cover up the Chuck sabotage, and she liked hearing about the Squat Cobbler situation right up until Jimmy admitted to outright faked evidence. The way she responded to Squat Cobbler read to me more like 'you could get caught at that, it's too risky, and by telling me about it I could get in trouble too' than 'that is fundamentally wrong and I want no part of it'. Then again, I don't seem to be able to predict much with Kim lol.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if there's something along those lines, because she doesn't seem to have a natural inclination to follow the rules the way that Chuck or Howard do - she liked pulling the tequila scam, she helped Jimmy cover up the Chuck sabotage, and she liked hearing about the Squat Cobbler situation right up until Jimmy admitted to outright faked evidence. The way she responded to Squat Cobbler read to me more like 'you could get caught at that, it's too risky, and by telling me about it I could get in trouble too' than 'that is fundamentally wrong and I want no part of it'. Then again, I don't seem to be able to predict much with Kim lol.
She does seem to enjoy the thrill of small cons, but would never really profit from them, other than tequila. Remember that the second con was all Kim's idea. She was in a bar, sleazy guy hit on her just minutes after she saw his wife drop him off. She smiled, became Giselle again, phoned Jimmy to join her, he did and they somehow got a $10,000 check for their phony company. A check that she just wanted to keep as a trophy.

I still don't think she did anything crooked in Nebraska, just sense that she doesn't want to think of something that happened there.

Gilligan and Gould must have such fun playing with our minds.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
She does seem to enjoy the thrill of small cons, but would never really profit from them, other than tequila. Remember that the second con was all Kim's idea. She was in a bar, sleazy guy hit on her just minutes after she saw his wife drop him off. She smiled, became Giselle again, phoned Jimmy to join her, he did and they somehow got a $10,000 check for their phony company. A check that she just wanted to keep as a trophy.

I still don't think she did anything crooked in Nebraska, just sense that she doesn't want to think of something that happened there.

Gilligan and Gould must have such fun playing with our minds.

I have a feeling Nebraska is where Kim returns to when Jimmy becomes Saul. And so maybe Gene will meet up with her again someday.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:35 AM

Well, Kim is attracted to Jimmy, so it's a good bet her father is slippery. Fooling people is play for her, so she likely was introduced to it early. Maybe she just comes from a notorious family, and knows that in Nebraska her clients will hear about it?

Traveler stock would fit her pretty well. Or is there such a thing as Nebraska mafia? LOL! She doesn't fit as a mafioso's kid though.

It could also be that she has really poor family who would suck her dry if they knew she was a high falutin' lawyer. . . Or who lost their farm to predatory lenders and so being part of banking in farm areas is another kettle of fish for her morally speaking. I don't know why I think she was a farm girl, is that canon?

Or - and this is my actual prediction - there is something she got nailed for as a juvenile. It's been expunged from her record, so didn't show up when they did her background check for the bar exam, but was in the papers back when and folks back home will remember.

Last edited by TruCelt; 08-24-2018 at 01:35 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Jimmy spent a lot of time with Mrs. Strauss going over her Hummel collection, including who was getting which one. I'm confident that one of the things she went over is distinguishing the different ones so that the wrong one didn't go to the cousin she didn't like, and that's where Jimmy learned to tell them apart. He also wasn't trying to figure out if something a random person handed him was real or fake (which would take more expertise), he's presuming it's real and just has to distinguish which one it is. Since they've actually spent screen time showing him learning Hummel identification, him being able to recognize a collectible one doesn't seem surprising at all to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57nge8q8CKk
This raises an interesting point. Why did they spend so much time on Hummels back then? What season was this? Were the writers setting up the current plot point way back then? Are they planning that far ahead?
Old 08-24-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
This raises an interesting point. Why did they spend so much time on Hummels back then? What season was this? Were the writers setting up the current plot point way back then? Are they planning that far ahead?
I think it's just simple characterization, not some elaborate master plan. Hummels are a thing that old people collect (especially back then), and showing Jimmy painstakingly going through and making sure that each figurine goes to the right relative shows how much time an energy he was investing in his clients. They also showed that he's got a decent knack for spotting valuable collectible items when he would snipe valuable coins while working the till at his father's shop. Now 2-3 seasons later, they want Jimmy to spot something valuable that the owner doesn't realize is valuable, and they realize they have a perfect item for him to spot. Seems more likely that they've given the character these traits, then draw on them for a new situation than that back in the first season, when they weren't sure they'd even get renewed, they decided they were going to use the figurine as a plot point in three years time and deliberately set it up.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
I don't know why I think she was a farm girl, is that canon?
I don't think they've ever said she's from a farm. I got the impression that she was from some kind of non-noteworthy general middle class or lower middle class background, but I think they've left it wide open.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
Or - and this is my actual prediction - there is something she got nailed for as a juvenile. It's been expunged from her record, so didn't show up when they did her background check for the bar exam, but was in the papers back when and folks back home will remember.
Is there any chance that as the bank expands into Nebraska Kim would have to undergo some other kind of background check in that state which would expose her past? I don't know if that makes any sense legally, but it seems narratively possible, which would lead to her panic attack when she learned about the planned expansion.

Also, it was certainly dramatic but it seems a little odd that Kim would only find out about the expansion plans after Kevin had a whole room of the firm taken over and filled with intricately detailed models. I guess maybe this was supposed to be a big surprise for the board meeting, but it doesn't seem to me like boards of directors are really keen on surprises in general.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:06 AM

Interesting fact: The "You are mine now" scene was done in one take! You'd think for something that tense with that many people they'd have to try multiple times, but apparently not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=LwtZGNqmcMM
Old 08-24-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
I have a feeling Nebraska is where Kim returns to when Jimmy becomes Saul. And so maybe Gene will meet up with her again someday.
This is what I was thinking as well.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I have a feeling that Kim doesn't make it past the end of the series and her death gives rise to Saul.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack View Post
I have a feeling that Kim doesn't make it past the end of the series and her death gives rise to Saul.
I think Kim dying would be way too easy on Jimmy for this show, and I don't think they'll pull punches for him that way. I think she's going to choose to leave him for something related to his more Saul-like behavior, and her choosing to leave him is going to hurt him much worse than a simple, clean ending through death would. I think Chuck's death is already the catalyst that has triggered him shifting from 'generally lovable con-man Jimmy' to amoral, money-grubbing Saul mode, and that the first big step on that path is the Hummel burglary.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I would love that. Everyone I know loves to speculate about Kim. I was reminded that she said she didn't stay in that small town because she would've ended up married to the owner of the gas station. She wanted "more."
Old 08-27-2018, 07:13 PM

NEW EPISODE TONIGHT. S4 E4

(Someone asked to get a big red text when discussion on a new episode starts a while back)
Old 08-27-2018, 11:05 PM

Anybody remember if that strip mall cell phone store is the same place that Saul's constitution-wallpapered office is located in Breaking Bad? It didn't seem like the exact same location, but the whole strip mall vibe reminded me of it anyway.

What's Gus's job for Mike?

Last edited by DrCube; 08-27-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:20 AM

Pantastic, nice.

I assume the job is the one he has in BB.

Doesn’t a hangup to 911 bring cops?

I rarely have any complaints about this show, but I agree with this from the AV Club recap:

Quote:
In my opinion, the cold open is the first noticeable misstep of this season; the momentary flash-forward to something we see in full a few acts later feels like a gimmick, jarring for effect, rather than a revelation.
Good episode otherwise though.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:54 AM

Glad to see that Kim isn't angry at Jimmy and that there isn't some weird thing with a fake Chuck letter going on; she's clearly concerned about him and the way he's dealing with Chuck's death. I don't remember the pdoc's name, is he the same one that Mike's been going to group therapy with? I like the judge who pulls her into chambers to snap her back to reality. When he started describing the case he had for her it seemed way too cliche for this show, and too convenient for her, so when she called it out as a movie plot I was happy.

I don't know what Jimmy's plan was when he woke up, he seems to be trying to run a con on Kim about how he's feeling. IMO it's telling that he's disappointed that the job is so quiet - a quiet job sitting in a cell phone store for 10 months while he waits for his probation to clear is the perfect situation for him right now, so of course he hates it. I think he's going to energize that store as the 'get your burner phone' location, and start taking over the vet's 'criminal connection' job. We also see where he got his love of the burner phones that he had a drawer full of in BB.

I agree that the cold open was weird this week, I couldn't put my finger on why but it seemed out of place but it seemed off. I liked the scene with Mike blowing up in group therapy, but it seemed a bit disjoint from the rest of the Mike storyline. Probably will drive something between him and his daughter in law next week. I think Gus is actually getting good use out of his "Security Consultant", double-stacking that crushes a random box is no big deal, but you really don't want to do that if it's one of Gus's special deliveries that has drugs hidden in it. I think Gus's job for Mike involves taking over the new territory the cartel is about to hand him, and I like that Mike completely blew off Gus's intimidation attempt.

Really, this series and BB have a lot of fantasy/RPG elements hidden in modern/real world trappings. In BB, Chemistry works like magic and Jessie is Walt's apprentice. In the real world purity of meth is not actually that important, and cooking it is a pretty 'industrial' process, you don't need a specific person for it, but in the show Walt has special abilities that no one can really match, which means people put up with his dysfunctional personality. And a lot of the things Walt does with "Science, bitch" don't really work in real life but make sense as spells, like the explosion that blows out the windows in a room but doesn't injure him at ground zero. Saul has a supernatural talent for lying to people and having them believe it, while Mike has the counter of a supernatural ability to read the truth in people (and complete immunity to Saul).
Old 08-28-2018, 01:49 PM

Good thoughts. You reminded me: did anyone else catch the “Verdict” plot summary before Kim said it? Great movie.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:29 PM

I thought the stunned looks on the faces of the group members in the open was because Mike had just unloaded ALL the details of Matty's death and aftermath. "...You asked me to talk." Also, when Jimmy was painting the new sign, I was sure that when they pulled back it would reveal his storefront "Saul Goodman" sign, because the closeups of him painting seemed to be showing those letters.

By the way, I spent the past three weeks binge watching, for the first time, all five seasons of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul up to this point. So Monday was my first time watching a new-to-everyone episode in the Breaking Bad universe.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:39 PM

I thought this was a pretty dull episode. If you exclude the shootout, we have Jimmy moping around in the cell phone store and Kim hanging out in a courtroom; their stories didn't advance much but I'm sure we're being prepared for their next moves. Mike appears to be burning some bridges, such as Stacy and his lady friend, by calling out the phony guy at the group share meeting. I'm looking forward to next week when all of this setup work yields some results.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:56 PM

I was happy that Jimmy took the job, instead of just flat out lying to Kim. I was actually annoyed when it looked like he was just going to lie.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:05 PM

Loved the way Kim was called out by Judge Neelix.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
And that the guy faking trauma to get sympathy in the therapy group was The Bad Place judge Shawn (Marc Evan Jackson).
Old 08-28-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthan View Post
By the way, I spent the past three weeks binge watching, for the first time, all five seasons of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul up to this point. So Monday was my first time watching a new-to-everyone episode in the Breaking Bad universe.
Nice! Welcome to the gang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkboard View Post
I thought this was a pretty dull episode. If you exclude the shootout,
I’m sorry, but this is just funny to me. “Aside from that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?”
Old 08-28-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I like the judge who pulls her into chambers to snap her back to reality. When he started describing the case he had for her it seemed way too cliche for this show, and too convenient for her, so when she called it out as a movie plot I was happy.

That judge used to play Neelix on Star Trek: Voyager, for what it’s worth.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post

Ninja’d!
Old 08-28-2018, 10:24 PM

So, did anyone else get the vibe that the phone store is actually a front for money laundering?

He gets a call in the morning, and by afternoon, he's there, all alone, in complete charge of the whole store. The only contact we see with his boss is over the phone. There's literally no customers, and the boss doesn't seem to mind at all. Who operates a real business like that?

And think about it: burner and pay-as-you-go phones would be perfect for laundering money. Mostly cash payments, because the people who use pay as you go often don't have great finances, and so aren't set up to use credit cards. Sign up a couple of dozen fake accounts per month, then have them pay $20-40-60 a month for usage. Cancel a few every month to make it look real, and just keep turning over the money.

Last edited by Horatius; 08-28-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:26 PM

My impression of Kim's issue was that she was fine being outside counsel for a small business, but did not want to become the go to person for a corporate empire. That's why she went to the courtroom to see what "real" law was like and representing "real" people.

The judge warned her that if she stuck around that she would be appointed counsel for criminal defendants. She stayed anyways.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
So, did anyone else get the vibe that the phone store is actually a front for money laundering?

He gets a call in the morning, and by afternoon, he's there, all alone, in complete charge of the whole store. The only contact we see with his boss is over the phone. There's literally no customers, and the boss doesn't seem to mind at all.
I thought it was odd but I thought it might be a Hollywood writer's idea of what working retail is like. Seems like Jimmy has an angle though.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:00 AM

The money laundering idea is interesting, given that this is a big preoccupation of Saul’s in BB.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
Anybody remember if that strip mall cell phone store is the same place that Saul's constitution-wallpapered office is located in Breaking Bad? It didn't seem like the exact same location, but the whole strip mall vibe reminded me of it anyway.
No, two different filming locations. The cell phone store is next to the ACE Case Express near the northwest corner of Menaul and San Pedro, just west of Coronado Mall. Duke City Bar at the southeast corner of Montgomery and Eubank occupies Saul Goodman's law office.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:34 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
The judge warned her that if she stuck around that she would be appointed counsel for criminal defendants. She stayed anyways.
Is that even a thing? Can a judge force a lawyer to take a case against their will? I assumed Kim stayed because she knew that was bullshit and the judge had no power to keep her from sitting in on his courtroom.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Is that even a thing? Can a judge force a lawyer to take a case against their will? I assumed Kim stayed because she knew that was bullshit and the judge had no power to keep her from sitting in on his courtroom.

I'm not a lawyer and have no idea what the law is in New Mexico. But it reminded me of this case from Missouri that was in the papers two years ago:

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...9b092b7f3.html

Citing budget shortfalls, the top public defender in the state tried to appoint the Governor, who was also a member of the state bar, to defend a particular indigent defendant. This was sort of a stunt to draw attention to the underfunded judicial department. A court ruled that this wasn't possible, since only the courts -- not the public defenders office -- had the power to appoint attorneys.

But the case wasn't dismissed out of hand with a ruling of "Of course you can't just pick a random person who happens to be a lawyer and force them to do this, you knob". It was just a matter of the wrong person trying to exercise that power.

So for what it's worth, Judge Neelix's threat seems like a credible one in Missouri in 2016.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:51 AM

Yeah, I'm having trouble finding a cite, but judges can appoint attorneys because the right to counsel has to be adhered to. Now, most places have set up a panel of attorneys to be referred cases, but it wouldn't surprise me if the county in New Mexico they're in is a bit more lax in that regard. So maybe Kim is sticking around because she wants to be appointed?

I can't help but feel Jimmy was thinking of something to put on top of the roof of the store. Maybe some sort of inflatable...

Last edited by magnusblitz; 08-29-2018 at 01:52 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strainger View Post
No, two different filming locations. The cell phone store is next to the ACE Case Express near the northwest corner of Menaul and San Pedro, just west of Coronado Mall. Duke City Bar at the southeast corner of Montgomery and Eubank occupies Saul Goodman's law office.
Nice detail!

I find it somewhat surprising these places don’t lean into the untapped tourism potential more. There are regular BB tours in Albuquerque, right? So why wouldn’t this Duke City Bar make itself the “Better Call Saul Saloon” or something, complete with pillars and a giant Constitution? Why doesn’t the woman who owns Walt’s house make it look like that set inside and charge for tours on Saturday? Etc.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I didn't think of that, but it makes sense.

Maybe Jimmy's "we sell privacy" stunt will draw attention to the store and cause trouble for the launderers. Or maybe increased sales will make the laundering easier, they'll like him, and they'll end up offering him additional "work".

Regarding Kim; is she trying to get assigned to some criminal case? Is she looking for an excuse to be able to tell Mesa Verde that she can't handle their case anymore and they need to find a new attorney?

Last edited by davidm; 08-29-2018 at 02:23 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Theoretically? It depends on the juridiction and hell within the different parts of the jurisdiction.

Practically? Yes he can and the pressure on her to accept will be basically irresitable. Its a big professional no-no to turn down without sufficient cause.
I have personally had multiple occassion to try and be inconspicious in Court room when the judge starts looking around for a sacrificial lamb respected member of the Bar to take up this case for a litigant for a minute amount I'll probably never see and which won't make a dent in expenses fees which are appropriate for the case or pro bono. I have often not succeeded.

The law and legal life aspect of this show has been generally spot on.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:45 AM

Love that insight! Which is more accurate, this show or The Good Wife/Good Fight? Or have you not seen those CBS shows?
Old 08-29-2018, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Love that insight! Which is more accurate, this show or The Good Wife/Good Fight? Or have you not seen those CBS shows?
For what it's worth I recall one of those two shows (i don't recall which) depicting a judge forcing an attorney to take a case.

I also recall Denny Crane (William Shatner) in Boston Legal trying to get out of such a requirement.

Last edited by davidm; 08-29-2018 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Theoretically? It depends on the juridiction and hell within the different parts of the jurisdiction.

Practically? Yes he can and the pressure on her to accept will be basically irresitable. Its a big professional no-no to turn down without sufficient cause.
I have personally had multiple occassion to try and be inconspicious in Court room when the judge starts looking around for a sacrificial lamb respected member of the Bar to take up this case for a litigant for a minute amount I'll probably never see and which won't make a dent in expenses fees which are appropriate for the case or pro bono. I have often not succeeded.

The law and legal life aspect of this show has been generally spot on.
Agreed. In my jurisdiction a judge can absolutely appoint you against your will, but as a practical matter a judge will not do so unless backed up against the wall. I've never been appointed against my will; judges around here keep a list of attorneys who are willing to take appointed cases and when the list runs dry, they "ask" that you put your name on the list.

However, when a judge is "asking" it is very difficult to say no, not because he will be petty and use it against you, but because it is good business to impress a judge.

When I first started, I had made a decision not to get involved in child abuse and neglect cases. Just didn't want to do it. The law here requires that any attorney who practices in that area must take special training every two years. My out was "Gee, Judge, I would love to take the case, but I do not have the mandatory required training; just have never had the time to do it."

That got me out of it for a while until one day a judge asked me what I was doing the following Wednesday. He knew damned well what I was doing the following Wednesday because I was scheduled to be in front of him for a pre-trial hearing all day. When I told him that, he continued the hearing on his own motion and told me that his secretary had enrolled me in the training and it was all paid for. No way out of that one.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Not really, it seemed to me like the corporate office decided that they need X coverage of stores so they opened one at that location, even though it's not really doing well. It will probably get closed at some point, but right now it looks better on some manager's presentation to have a store here. Also bear in mind that this show takes place five years before the 2008 recession, so companies were more willing to spend cash on things like that. Not that today we have a lack companies like Uber and MoviePass that keep burning investor money to operate at a loss hoping for some eventual development, but it is a bit rarer.

It's not impossible that the store is some kind of money laundering scheme, but it doesn't read as one to me, and it fits the plot without needing to be one.

Quote:
Yes, judges can 'force' lawyers to take cases. In a lot of cases it's more being voluntold than 'forced', but appointing lawyers to take cases is a thing that actually happens all the time. I think you're reading a lot of hostility into something that to me was pretty clearly a friendly interaction. Also as an aside a judge actually has broad power to keep someone from sitting in on his courtroom, if the judge actually didn't want her in his courtroom he could just order her out and she'd have to engage in long legal proceedings to contest it.

Quote:
My impression of Kim's issue was that she was fine being outside counsel for a small business, but did not want to become the go to person for a corporate empire. That's why she went to the courtroom to see what "real" law was like and representing "real" people.
I think Kim saw Mesa Verde as the one big client that would let her establish her practice, and after a few years she'd have the money and reputation to do 'real' lawyering she wants. After seeing the expansion plans, she realizes that it's not really going to work that way, and that not only will she be doing this for the forseeable future, but she'll have to hire and manage a permanent staff to deal with all of the work. She's not nearly as loath to 'do the needful' as Jimmy is, and would certainly not have put on a circus at Franklin and Main if she worked there, but what she's seeing in her future is not that different from working at HHM (though more profitable) and that doesn't seem to be her real calling.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:13 AM

I'm not 100% sure we really know what's going on with Kim... what happened to everyone being certain it had something to do with Nebraska after last week?

I was sure that, as a throwaway, one of the cases that Kim was watching was going to be people vs Jesse Pinkman, then no further mention of it...
Old 08-29-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Doesn’t a hangup to 911 bring cops?
So would running gun battles that make Aleppo seem tame. So would blowing up a half-city block. So would starting a range fire.

There are no police in the BCS and BB universe.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:26 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
So would running gun battles that make Aleppo seem tame. So would blowing up a half-city block. So would starting a range fire.

Yeah, BCS and BB often go for the "rule of cool" rather than plausibility.

I was thinking this when Victor and Tyrus were shooting up the car. Even in New Mexico, there can't be many paved roads deserted enough where you could just fire a barrage like that and be sure no one would pass by. The scene would be visible from many miles away too.

I also thought that the scene would never be credible after forensic analysis by CSI, but then I realized that the audience wasn't law enforcement but the Salamancas, who are some of the biggest dumbasses ever. How could even the twins be stupid enough not to realize that the car hadn't be shot up in an ambush, with bullet holes coming from all angles and not focused on the passengers? How could the attackers have put hundreds of bullets into the car without killing everyone inside?

The twins are badasses, but aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. In BB they try to sneak across the border in a migrant bus while wearing their extremely distinctive outfits, then kill everyone aboard just because some kid recognizes their boots. And then, they set fire to the bus, making an enormous smoke signal that is going to attract attention from 20 miles around while they try to escape on foot.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Hank would disagree. Well, he can't, because
SPOILER:
he's dead.

Seriously, I've often been curious about this. Take the scene from this very episode with the cousins and the gun battle at the hotel. Assuming there's a hotel VERY clearly not in a nice part of town. Presumably there aren't really "neighbors", but if there were, they had learned to keep their heads down. But at the same time there is heavy weapons fire and gas explosions. How long would it before someone called 911? How long would it take cops to get there? Would the first cop anywhere near the scene see the level of carnage and sensibly bunker down and call for SWAT?

Honestly, I'm not sure.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
Hank would disagree. Well, he can't, because
SPOILER:
he's dead.

Seriously, I've often been curious about this. Take the scene from this very episode with the cousins and the gun battle at the hotel. Assuming there's a hotel VERY clearly not in a nice part of town. Presumably there aren't really "neighbors", but if there were, they had learned to keep their heads down. But at the same time there is heavy weapons fire and gas explosions. How long would it before someone called 911? How long would it take cops to get there? Would the first cop anywhere near the scene see the level of carnage and sensibly bunker down and call for SWAT?

Honestly, I'm not sure.
The cops being selectively oblivious is actually pretty realistic. There are lots of “bad parts of town”, world over which police rarely enter or if they do they do so in force.

It’s an area which has a heavy presence of cartels. If there is heavy gunfire reported, they aren’t sending some beat cops in a soft skinned vehicle with a pistol and a radio. They are sending in much more heavily armed and protected group. After they have done heavy surveillance. By which time the battles over and all the cops have to do is pick up the dead.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:42 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Quote:
Agreed. In my jurisdiction a judge can absolutely appoint you against your will, but as a practical matter a judge will not do so unless backed up against the wall. I've never been appointed against my will; judges around here keep a list of attorneys who are willing to take appointed cases and when the list runs dry, they "ask" that you put your name on the list.

However, when a judge is "asking" it is very difficult to say no, not because he will be petty and use it against you, but because it is good business to impress a judge.
Quote:
Yes, judges can 'force' lawyers to take cases. In a lot of cases it's more being voluntold than 'forced', but appointing lawyers to take cases is a thing that actually happens all the time.
Thanks for the insights into this. But I'm still not entirely clear on what the legal basis is for this. I understand that there may be overwhelming pressure from the judge (and maybe the rest of the legal profession) to go along with this, and that someone might suffer "unofficial" repercussions. But what would be the actual legal consequences of refusing to take an appointed case? A fine? Disbarment?

Last edited by Colibri; 08-29-2018 at 04:49 PM.