Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWyvern View Post
Trump himself used the word 'flip' a couple of days ago
And he used "rat". As one talking head said recently (paraphrased): That's right out of a 1950s James Cagney movie. Next, he's going to talk about some "dame".

Tax evasion. No chance Trump is going to fall prey to that charge, right? This whole "Russia thing" is nothing compared to what Trump might face for tax evasion charges. If I were Mueller, I'd wait until Trump is out of office so there is no chance he could pardon himself and screw up the works.

The Democrats really, really, REALLY need to win in 2020.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:48 AM

Hey, didn't Trump say repeatedly that he couldn't show his tax forms because they were being audited by the IRS? And surely if the IRS were auditing his forms so thoroughly that it took literally years to go through them, they would have noticed any shenanigans, right?

I suppose one alternative is that Trump was lying about the auditing...naw, that's impossible.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 08-25-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
Trump Organization CFO granted immunity. No indication of what he's doing to get it, so far as I can tell. But if it's just paying off women about affairs, I can't see the base or GOP Congress getting riled up about it, even if turned out have been done with campaign funds, etc.
Keep in mind that the grants of immunity can be a one-sided affair and it's not a clear cut indication that the witness has flipped.

Scenario- an accountant is questioned by the Feds regarding his client's bookkeeping. He invokes his 5th amendment rights against self-incrimination. The federal prosecutors respond with "We are giving you immunity. Tell us what you know." While this is an indication that the accountant made the decision not to lie on behalf of his client, it doesn't necessarily signal full cooperation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
No. There is no way republicans impeach Trump or hold him accountable no matter what crimes he committed.

Having said that, I would not be surprised if Mueller has Trump under sealed indictment, and once Trump steps down from president in 2021 or 2025 (yes, Americans are that stupid), then he may get prosecuted.
I think there might be a point where the cumulative weight of the evidence can't reasonably be ignored. I don't think we're close to that point yet, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
Hey, didn't Trump say repeatedly that he couldn't show his tax forms because they were being audited by the IRS? And surely if the IRS were auditing his forms so thoroughly that it took literally years to go through them, they would have noticed any shenanigans, right?

I suppose one alternative is that Trump was lying about the auditing...naw, that's impossible.
Without inside information, an audit probably wouldn't have revealed the kind of tax fraud Trump and Cohen committed.

An audit might look at Trump's deductions for legal expenses. They may have asked for corroborating invoices. But in the absence of a reason to believe that the Cohen invoices were fraudulent - the invoices Cohen fabricated would probably have passed muster.

An audit can find expenses that were improperly classified. The auditors may even check the underlying proof of the expenses, especially if they were deemed excessive. But a routine audit isn't going to catch a well-executed fraud unless the auditor knows exactly what they are looking for and where to look. Which they do now.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 08-25-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:52 PM

If I had to choose between an IRS audit and an FBI investigation, I would need about a microsecond to pick the IRS audit.

Not that either one would cause me much trouble, personally, but you don't want the FBI investigating you.

Last edited by John Mace; 08-25-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

I have a feeling that whatever “brings him down,” it’ll be because he’s under so much stress that he finally alienates everyone in any real position to be a useful ally, other than a segment of voters.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:45 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post

The closest the IRS would say that he was lying was that them auditing taxes would not be a reason not to disclose them, that there was no rule about that.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
If I were Mueller, I'd wait until Trump is out of office so there is no chance he could pardon himself and screw up the works.
I disagree. I see getting Trump out of power as a much higher priority than punishing him for any crimes he's committed. I'd be willing to give him a full pardon in exchange for his resignation. (Although Trump being Trump, I wouldn't give him the pardon until after the resignation was official.)
Old 08-26-2018, 07:35 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I disagree. I see getting Trump out of power as a much higher priority than punishing him for any crimes he's committed. I'd be willing to give him a full pardon in exchange for his resignation. (Although Trump being Trump, I wouldn't give him the pardon until after the resignation was official.)
And then renege on the pardon.
Other foot, meet shoe.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
And then renege on the pardon.
Other foot, meet shoe.

Pardon him for federal crimes and turn all the evidence over to the states.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Pardon him for federal crimes and turn all the evidence over to the states.
They need to be careful. New York state apparently has a law that says that once jeopardy has attached at the federal level the state cannot retry them at the state level for the same crime (the intent being to prevent double jeopardy). I'm not sure if that's for the same charge or the same act.

It's possible that other states may have similar laws.

I assume that Mueller is aware of all of that and knows what he's doing.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
...I assume that Mueller is aware of all of that and knows what he's doing.
That's the thing I like best about Mueller. It's reasonable to assume he knows what he's doing. He and his team might be the only people in Washington of whom that can be said.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Screw that. If Trump leaves office in, say, mid-2019, that gives Pence and other halfway-competent Republicans a year and a half to cement the "gains" and put a semi-professional gloss on what many on the right see as a successful administration.

This is not a successful administration. It's a dumpster fire on a train crashing into a radioactive cesspool. If Trump can be linked criminally to the crimes Mueller seems to be closing in on, he and every scumbag who helped put him in office deserves to suffer the full civil, financial, criminal and political consequences. The nation will survive.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
Screw that. If Trump leaves office in, say, mid-2019, that gives Pence and other halfway-competent Republicans a year and a half to cement the "gains" and put a semi-professional gloss on what many on the right see as a successful administration.

This is not a successful administration. It's a dumpster fire on a train crashing into a radioactive cesspool. If Trump can be linked criminally to the crimes Mueller seems to be closing in on, he and every scumbag who helped put him in office deserves to suffer the full civil, financial, criminal and political consequences. The nation will survive.
It's the survival of the nation I'm worried about. Pence would be a bad President but he wouldn't destroy the country. Trump might.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
It's the survival of the nation I'm worried about. Pence would be a bad President but he wouldn't destroy the country. Trump might.
Fine. But he only gets the pardon if he confesses, under oath, to everything. And Hillary gets to piss on him.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
...It's a dumpster fire on a train crashing into a radioactive cesspool. ...
That is beautiful. Sir, you are a poet.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I think that Pence is so implicated in this situation that he is not going to be the efficacious right wing avenger we envision if he gets in. It will be a long mess. Lets face it: the last thing on his resume was this.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
I think that Pence is so implicated in this situation that he is not going to be the efficacious right wing avenger we envision if he gets in. It will be a long mess. Lets face it: the last thing on his resume was this.

I can just imagine Donald twitter-threatening to withdraw his resignation if the caretaker does not have one of those round-the-table Praise Trump sessions before the pardon announcement... “So very disrespectful...”

But then again, no way he quits. He’s getting carried out of the WH on a stretcher, or dragged out by his succesor’s security detail.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
And what if Trump and Pence both go down? President Paul Ryan? Three years ago, I might have thought that didn't sound so bad.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

You misspelled "Pelosi".
Old 08-27-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
You misspelled "Pelosi".
Old 08-27-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
They need to be careful. New York state apparently has a law that says that once jeopardy has attached at the federal level the state cannot retry them at the state level for the same crime (the intent being to prevent double jeopardy). I'm not sure if that's for the same charge or the same act.

It's possible that other states may have similar laws.

I assume that Mueller is aware of all of that and knows what he's doing.
Does jeopardy attach in the event of a pardon?

I read an article recently by someone who seemed to know what he was talking about that claimed that Manafort could be tried in New York on state charges essentially identical to the federal charges on which the jury was hung because jeopardy was not attached. This makes sense to me because he could be retried at the federal level on those counts.

I guess my question is: Would the state of New York consider that a pardon for a crime that was never tried on the federal level mean that the defendant had been legally in jeopardy for that crime?
Old 01-18-2019, 08:32 AM

How about now?
Old 01-18-2019, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Indeed. As I said in another thread, if House investigators are able to verify the Buzzfeed story, how can the House not impeach?

Last edited by RTFirefly; 01-18-2019 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Link.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Indeed. As I said in another thread, if House investigators are able to verify the Buzzfeed story, how can the House not impeach?
Because Clinton!

And also, fuck you, make me!
Old 01-18-2019, 08:49 AM

At this point it's not getting the House to impeach, it's getting the Senate to convict, and the silence is deafening over there right now.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

There has to be some official imprimatur, some inescapable conclusion from an official source, preferably the Mueller Report and even more preferably the bringing of an actual criminal indictment of Individual-1, to make the process inevitable and any other conclusion look irresponsible. But not Buzzfeed.

Anything short of that would look like impeachment is already decided as soon as a basis for it can be found or manufactured, as it was with Clinton. That only lets it all look like partisan spite, lets the Regressives and the Bothsidesers handwave it as such, and delegitimizes the gravest tool of statecraft in the Constitution.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There has to be some official imprimatur, some inescapable conclusion from an official source, preferably the Mueller Report and even more preferably the bringing of an actual criminal indictment of Individual-1, to make the process inevitable and any other conclusion look irresponsible. But not Buzzfeed.
Hence "if House investigators are able to verify the Buzzfeed story."
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
At this point it's not getting the House to impeach, it's getting the Senate to convict, and the silence is deafening over there right now.
Sure, the Senate's ultimately the real obstacle, but we still need to get the House past the "why bother to impeach, if nothing's going to happen in the Senate" mindset. If the evidence justifies serious charges, it's essential for the health of our democracy that the House impeach, regardless of what the Senate might or might not do. The House would have to put this baby on the Senate's doorstep; what the Senate would do then is on Mitch's head.

Last edited by RTFirefly; 01-18-2019 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Rearranged the emphasis.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:12 AM

Yes, put the evidence out there and let the Senate Republican either vote to remove, or force those Senators to go on record supporting criminal activity.

Sure, being impeached helped Clinton's numbers with the general public. But there is no way Trump's popularity will likewise be improved by an impeachment trial. Most of the country dislikes the guy, seeing all of the evidence laid out in front of them won't help.

I've been hesitant to support impeachment, but if this Buzzfeed article is true, that's criminal shit, and I suspect that's just the tip o' the iceberg.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:19 AM

I'm generally against impeachment unless there is fairly good evidence that the Senate will convict (or at least get close - so 10+ GOPers looking like patriots).

But I don't think the Clinton parallels are all that strong. He was fairly popular going in, and he was being impeached (in the pre-#METO era) for lying about what was apparently a consensual blowjob.

Trump is being chased for thing that are crimes on their own, and is not generally popular. It will probably prop him up with his base, but given good external evidence, I don't think he'll see a Clinton bump even if not convicted.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hence "if House investigators are able to verify the Buzzfeed story."
I get that. But it would still be House (Pelosi, Democratic) investigators doing it, and could still be dismissed as partisan by the deniers.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I get that. But it would still be House (Pelosi, Democratic) investigators doing it, and could still be dismissed as partisan by the deniers.
Look, if Jesus Christ Himself vouched for the evidence, they'd say he was a fake because he wasn't the True Republican Jesus. You can't win at that game.

The only way forward is to compile the evidence with a summary of how it all fits together, and then let it speak for itself from there.

The thing about the Buzzfeed story is that, if true, it dramatically simplifies the narrative: Trump sold out to the Russians when they dangled $300M in front of him. How do we know this? All these texts and emails, plus Michael Cohen's testimony. If anyone can connect the dots, nobody's imprimatur will be needed.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:50 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Look, if Jesus Christ Himself vouched for the evidence, they'd say he was a fake because he wasn't the True Republican Jesus.
This is true.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

I don't know who that swarthy guy is, but it ain't Jesus. Jesus is white and has blond hair.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

He speaks English, too, complete with thee and verily.

I'd rather not give up on them, even though some obviously are unreachable. They're still us, still human, even if that includes an extreme unwillingness to admit having been fooled or ripped off.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I'd rather not give up on them, even though some obviously are unreachable. They're still us, still human, even if that includes an extreme unwillingness to admit having been fooled or ripped off.
I'm not giving up on people; I'm disregarding the usefulness of someone's imprimatur in this situation as a means of persuading them.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:48 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:

Objection! Facts not in evidence.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:47 PM

My feeling is that you wait until the Mueller report comes out. Since you aren't going to be able to get the senate to remove him from office there is no particular time pressure, and since you only reasonably get one shot to make your impeachment case you may as well wait until you have as much evidence as you can against him, and can make your best case.

But if you can get a strong majority (not just plurality) of the total electorate in favor of it, I think you go for it. The problem with the Clinton Impeachment was that while there was strong support among Republicans in favor of it, the nation as a whole was against it.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
My feeling is that you wait until the Mueller report comes out. Since you aren't going to be able to get the senate to remove him from office there is no particular time pressure, and since you only reasonably get one shot to make your impeachment case you may as well wait until you have as much evidence as you can against him, and can make your best case.
I think it should be done this year, though. Once we get into 2020, it's time to let the voters do the removing from office.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:14 PM

Televised hearings will have an impact. Cohen offering testimony live on television, being questioned by Republicans as well as Democrats, will make this much more concrete and real for a lot of people.

Quote:
I think it should be done this year, though. Once we get into 2020, it's time to let the voters do the removing from office.
Predicting what McConnell will say, RT?
Old 01-18-2019, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
But there is no way Trump's popularity will likewise be improved by an impeachment trial.
You are not anywhere near cynical enough IMHO. I'm not saying his popularity will be improved by an impeachment trial, but if you're not open to the possibility that it might you're setting yourself up for some pretty profound disillusionment.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 01-18-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
Predicting what McConnell will say, RT?
I hardly think it'll be just Mitch, or just Trump's hardcore followers.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:49 PM

It's often said that to take down a popular politician, he has to be caught in bed with a young boy or a dead girl. Trump could be caught with a dead boy and video of the murder and he'd still have the Deplorable 35% on his side. And almost all the Republicans in Congress. The Deplorables skew old, so slowly demographics will improve.

Up-to-date quotes from prediction markets still show Trump as 65% to win the GOP nomination and 29% to win the grand prize in November 2020. (Harris and O'Rourke are tied for 2nd to be next Potus with 13% chance each. Biden is in 4th place.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gay View Post
Be careful what you wish for....President Pence?
If two years of Trump don't make you vomit, contemplate ten years of Pence.

My own hope is that the dismal Trump show will inform Americans in their 20's and teens, and the Republican Party will become a spent force on the national scene, that the GOP will disintegrate as the Whigs did in the 1850's. To this worthy end, I celebrate every Trumpian crime, misstep and fart, as moving the country, eventually, to a better place.

Yes, the Trump is doing irreparable damage to American prestige, but, like an alcoholic, we may need to "hit bottom" before we can seek a cure.

As far as fear of nuclear war goes, Pence, the religious nut, might be more dangerous than Trump. Recall that it was the born-again Dubya who explained his Iraq misadventure to French President Jacques Chirac with "Gog and Magog are at work in the Middle East. . . . The biblical prophecies are being fulfilled. . . . This confrontation is willed by God, who wants to use this conflict to erase his people's enemies before a New Age begins."

Last edited by septimus; 01-18-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
If two years of Trump don't make you vomit, contemplate ten years of Pence.
Why should we contemplate that?

Pence's approval ratings were in the toilet in deep red Indiana before he left the governorship, and needless to say, his brand of fundagelicalism will go over a lot less well with America as a whole than it did in Indiana.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:40 PM

The timing is so delicious, with Individual #1's approval ratings already sinking and the shutdown growing ranker by the day.

I'm not saying impeachment is around the corner, but the worse things look for Individual #1, the more likely he is to commit the catastrophic blunder that sinks this administration and the GOP for good.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I agree. Not Buzzfeed.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITR champion View Post
I agree. Not Buzzfeed.
FWIW and IIRC Woodward and Bernstein also did not see direct evidence either when they reported first on what Deepthroat and others told them about Watergate.

Point being that the same point would had been made then to W and B and we know how that ended.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITR champion View Post
I agree. Not Buzzfeed.
#MAGAts on Twitter seem to think that means something. Except...
Quote:
The special counsel’s office learned about Trump’s directive for Cohen to lie to Congress through interviews with multiple witnesses from the Trump Organization and internal company emails, text messages, and a cache of other documents.
Emphasis mine.

So the Buzzfeed reporters didn't see the receipts. But there are receipts.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:01 PM

Er, what the hell is this ... Mueller's spokesman says Buzzfeed report is "not accurate.' WARNING - VIDEO!

I admit I'm surprised. And very curious to see how this plays out.

Last edited by CairoCarol; 01-18-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
It's often said that to take down a popular politician, he has to be caught in bed with a young boy or a dead girl.
'The only way I can lose this election is if I'm caught in bed with either a dead girl or a live boy' - Edwin Edwards
Old 01-18-2019, 09:29 PM

In a rare move, Mueller’s office denies BuzzFeed report that Trump told Cohen to lie about Moscow project

BuzzFeed should never be considered a reliable source IMO. They might get a scoop but they are all about clickbait and have little regard for journalistic standards. Anything they post should be considered dubious till proven by other sources.
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Closed Thread