Old 01-09-2019, 08:10 AM

Saw it with my 14 y.o. daughter, we both loved it, especially the animation style(s). Thought female Doc Oc was a nice subversion. Overall, great movie, want more like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB99 View Post
The closest thing I can compare it to is 'Lego Batman,' not just for the hyperkinetic visuals but also the fact that it incorporates tons of Spider-Man lore and just assumes the audience is already up to speed.
Yes, I thought this was good, too. And good comparison.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
From the "too many cooks spoil the broth" department, per Wikipedia:

So they worked painstakingly (for a YEAR!) over ten seconds of footage, and then they got way behind schedule and had to farm it out to more and more animators. There's no way that translates to the exact look they were initally going for, or what they would have gotten had they been told "take all the time you need, even if it is several years: just let us know when you have it ready". I would sure love to see what that ten seconds looked like!

OTOH, I don't have a problem with any of the story complaints people are mentioning. I still think it would be an excellent film with all the same dialogue and story beats but different animation.
Really, this is how any animated, or CGI film works, going all the way back to Disney. They first work on the concept art, which takes a long time. Then they bring in designers to flesh out characters, and backgrounds, etc. Then they farm out to dozens of shops to do the grunt work. Some shops specialize in backgrounds, some specialize in motion, etc.

We get that you didn't like it, and that you want to trash it. Really, we get that.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
We get that you didn't like it, and that you want to trash it. Really, we get that.
Maybe you have, but I haven't, and I do hope he chimes in with several more posts explaining why the movie is terrible using evidence that really shows he doesn't understand how animation works, because those are the best parts of this thread!

This has risen to my favorite superhero movie ever, and the one major flaw in it--the offset print that looks like 3d graphics without glasses--is the sort of swing-and-miss that I'm happy to put up with as the price of getting so many swing-and-hit moments.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:00 AM

I'm seeing posts that seem to indicate a lot of people didn't see it in 3D. I thought the 3D was a big part of what worked, 2D people missed out, IMO.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
I'm seeing posts that seem to indicate a lot of people didn't see it in 3D. I thought the 3D was a big part of what worked, 2D people missed out, IMO.
Good God - it was intense enough in 2D. If I'd watched it in 3D I would have been bleeding from the eyes by the end.

By the way: there was the usual Stan Lee cameo but did you catch that Steve Ditko was one of the contacts in his dad's phone?

Last edited by Gyrate; 01-09-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:56 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Absolutely the best superhero movie in years, vastly superior to most Marvel schlock. Innovative, imaginative, loyal to the look of comic books. Great story, great characters. All the thumbs up.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:58 AM

I'm not usually a fan of 3D, but I saw it in 3D and it really worked well. I wonder if it actually made it a bit less overwhelming visually, by being a bit easier to parse with the extra separation of the different elements.

Probably my favorite movie of the year.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I rarely see movies twice, but this one might justify it. There's a wonderful second-run theater in town that does 3d, and I might catch it there. Was the offset printing mimicry at all jarring in 3d?

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 01-09-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:23 AM

Finally got to see this last night. Best Spiderman movie ever. Also the animation style knocked it out of the park, it was perfect.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
By the way: there was the usual Stan Lee cameo but did you catch that Steve Ditko was one of the contacts in his dad's phone?
Yes, saw that. Also Bendis in Miles' contacts.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Was the offset printing mimicry at all jarring in 3d?
I didn't find it so at all. I mean, I noticed it, and appreciated it, but it wasn't overwhelming.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I didn't find it so at all. I mean, I noticed it, and appreciated it, but it wasn't overwhelming.
That's really interesting, and I'm curious whether others had the same reaction. It seems that a lot of folks disliked the stylistic choice in 2D; perhaps it works a lot better in 3D somehow.

Again, I don't mind that they tried it out, because it means they were taking creative risks; this one just didn't work for me. If it works in 3D, I'd love to understand why.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
My daughter hates 3D, so we rarely see anything in 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borschevsky View Post
I'm not usually a fan of 3D, but I saw it in 3D and it really worked well. I wonder if it actually made it a bit less overwhelming visually, by being a bit easier to parse with the extra separation of the different elements.

Probably my favorite movie of the year.
I wondered in real-time, while watching the film, if it wouldn't be better in 3D.

It was good in 2D, though.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:29 AM
Elephant Whisperer

We hate 3D too. One problem with 3D is the picture is inherently darker. Next time you're watching, take off your glasses and see how bright it suddenly looks. That's how bright it is in 2D.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
This has risen to my favorite superhero movie ever, and the one major flaw in it--the offset print that looks like 3d graphics without glasses--is the sort of swing-and-miss that I'm happy to put up with as the price of getting so many swing-and-hit moments.
So over the last few weeks I've actually gone back to see the movie two more times (and my husband saw it a total of 4 times, he's nutso). What I noticed in the subsequent viewings is that the offset printing effect was done in the "out of focus" parts of the scenes. In other words, if you think in terms of camera focus, one part (usually the foreground) is in focus while the rest is slightly out of focus. They tended to make the slightly out of focus parts in the offset print effect. That's somewhat subtle and I didn't catch it the first time. Upon a re-watch I appreciated it more.

In addition to everything else about the gorgeousness of the movie, I really appreciated the pearlescent reflection in Spiderman's white eye area, especially when they did close ups to show us what he was looking at via reflection.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:53 PM

Can someone give me a short summary of why Green Goblin was a giant monster?
Old 01-13-2019, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
The same reason Otto Octavius was Olivia Octavius.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:08 AM

Quote:
That was the Ultimate Green Goblin.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
As for school, it was a boarding school for high school students so I would think they would be far more strict about when kids can leave.
I saw this movie today, and the one thing I was confused about was just that; why wouldn't a kid who lives in NYC just commute to the school?

At the beginning when Miles was "packing" that suitcase and saying something to his parents about seeing them on Friday, I assumed he was going on a school trip out of town.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
saw this movie today, and the one thing I was confused about was just that; why wouldn't a kid who lives in NYC just commute to the school?

At the beginning when Miles was "packing" that suitcase and saying something to his parents about seeing them on Friday, I assumed he was going on a school trip out of town.
If I followed it correctly, Miles' school is some sort of magnet school that you have to apply to get into, and living on campus is part of the deal. In terms of the plot, maybe this makes it easier for him to spend time with his uncle ?
Old 01-28-2019, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Perhaps. But kids from all over NYC attend Stuyvesant High School, Bronx High School of Science or any of the other real-world magnet schools in New York. And none, as far as I'm aware, are residential schools.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:52 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Perhaps. But kids from all over NYC attend Stuyvesant High School, Bronx High School of Science or any of the other real-world magnet schools in New York. And none, as far as I'm aware, are residential schools.
I Googled "boarding schools New York," and found a list that included at least two pre-college boarding schools located within NYC. So, it's a thing that actually exists.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:25 AM

I'm not aware of boarding schools that actually require boarding but it's a fairly minor point (and an alternate universe).
Old 01-29-2019, 12:20 PM

SPOILER:
Why doesn't Miles recognize Gwen when he first meets her after acquiring the powers? Every other time he meets a spiderman they can tell they are alike.
And why does Gwen say her name is Gowanda when they first meet
Old 01-30-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
SPOILER:
Why doesn't Miles recognize Gwen when he first meets her after acquiring the powers? Every other time he meets a spiderman they can tell they are alike.
And why does Gwen say her name is Gowanda when they first meet
She started to say "Gwen" realized she she should hide her identity and changed it mid word to "Wanda".
Old 01-30-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
She started to say "Gwen" realized she she should hide her identity and changed it mid word to "Wanda".
Why was she trying to hide her identity? What would have been the harm in his knowing her real name?
Old 01-30-2019, 11:48 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Why was she trying to hide her identity? What would have been the harm in his knowing her real name?
Secret identities are a Spider-Person thing.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
What if Clark Kent had that attitude? Or Bruce Wayne?

We can only hope you don't get bitten by a gamma-ray-infused marsh-wiggle. You just don't take super-heroing seriously enough.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wasn't Miles being an enormous dork at that point? I got the impression maybe she didn't want him knowing anything about her, the better to avoid Mr. Superdork in the future.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Wasn't Miles being an enormous dork at that point? I got the impression maybe she didn't want him knowing anything about her, the better to avoid Mr. Superdork in the future.
He was but she had specifically enrolled in that school to meet him and follow him around. She was also trying to go back to her dimension and did not expect to be there in the future.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
He was but she had specifically enrolled in that school to meet him and follow him around. She was also trying to go back to her dimension and did not expect to be there in the future.
Is it possible she was trying to avoid any confusion with the possibility that he knew that dimension's Gwen? Maybe not by sight but by name? His dad is a cop... her dad is a cop.

Last edited by Push You Down; 01-30-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
He was but she had specifically enrolled in that school to meet him and follow him around.
Yes, but that doesn't mean she wants him possibly following her around, particularly after his painfully awkward attempt at applying Cool Uncle's Advice On Chatting Up Girls[tm].
Old 02-20-2019, 04:49 PM

I finally saw it! It's freaking awesome!

Mrs.gnu took babygnu to grandmommy's house for holiday. Our ability to watch any movie we want uninterrupted (let alone in a theater) has been severely curtailed by having a toddler around, so I took the opportunity to find a screening.

So I finally saw it! It's freaking awesome!
It's my favorite superhero movie maybe ever, maybe second to Guardians. It's the best animated film I've seen since Frozen. It really shows what animation can do to portray both multiple realities and the inner feelings of a character under stress.

I know the visual style isn't for everybody, but I loved it. I wish there was more of it. I got a little grin at every offset dot, floating thought box, or visualized sound effect. Hell, it does the "comic book movie that knows it's a comic book movie" WAY better than Deadpool.

I loved Miles singing but not knowing the words. Him choosing which building to jump off. The spidy-sense comfort they all have with each other. The repeated summaries of the origin stories. I loved Miles's leap of faith.

Miles is a lot more fun to root for, IMHO, than Peter Parker (although the two versions here are better than earlier movie versions). I liked that Miles could struggle with finding himself and his place in the world without being a bumbling doofus, social outcast, or cocky asshole (and not even an orphan).

But most of all, I love everything about Spider-Gwen. Sure, she's cute and the costume is great, but really it's more the easy, natural confidence and the wonderful way she approached being a combination of mentor, shepherd, and peer for Miles without losing sight of the big picture. I really want to see her own movie, not just a sequel to this (and not an origin prequel.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:24 PM

I saw it and thought it was really good. I went in with low expectations because I don't really "do" comics so although I'm tangentially aware of alternate superheroes, what little investment I have in them is based on the garden variety. So, Peter Parker Spider-Man. The inclusion of Spider-Ham and Penni Parker didn't do anything to raise enthusiasm.

Happily, my glum predictions were wrong and I had fun with it end to end. The only part I thought dragged was to (IMO) too-long scene of Miles dragging Peter around when they meet. They could have shave a good bit off that scene and not lost anything. Aside from that, I stayed entertained, felt emotional at the emotional moments, and thought the animation worked really well. Even Ham and Penni worked for me in context. I don't know about "My favorite superhero movie ever" (in part because I compartmentalize animation and live action, even heavily CGI'd live action) but probably one of my top animated flicks.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

Re: the magnet schools, in Miles Morales's dimension, the police are the PDNY. That indicates not everything runs quite the same way as it does in our own dimension.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:09 AM

It indicates that they didn't want to pay a license (or were refused) to use the NYPD trademark. It's not uncommon in media.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
It indicates that they didn't want to pay a license (or were refused) to use the NYPD trademark. It's not uncommon in media.
Not in this case, there were a lot of minor changes thrown in specifically to point out it this is another dimension.

Last edited by DigitalC; 02-24-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Not in this case, there were a lot of minor changes thrown in specifically to point out it this is another dimension.
Fair enough. "PDNY" was boring enough compared to things like "RedEx" that I assumed it was a trademark dodge rather than an intentional attempt to being "different".
Old 02-24-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Fair enough. "PDNY" was boring enough compared to things like "RedEx" that I assumed it was a trademark dodge rather than an intentional attempt to being "different".
I'm sure they were glad it conveniently works both ways.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:00 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I automatically took the PDNY designation as a clue it was an alternate universe myself.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Personally, I took the presence of a guy shooting spider silk from his wrists and flying from building to building as a clue that the story wasn't taking place in the same universe as the one I'm in.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:03 AM

The only problem I had with the visual style of the movie was the herky jerky motion, which didn't make it look like a comic book (which most of the other stylized elements seemed to be aiming for), but like a mid-ranged video game. (Though that did fit with the glitching thing, it doesn't seem to be intentional, since that's the only element that went toward that...)

And this movie makes me lament non-comics superhero media's tendency to kill off the villains more than most.

Goblin...OK, offing him was fine. He pretty much ran his course early on.

But... Doc Ock looked like an interesting take, apparently maintaining her legitimate scientific work even after becoming a supervillain.

And Prowler! Killing him off gave a brief emotional moment for both Miles and his dad, but...it didn't really pay off - certainly not to the extent that would justify getting rid of the emotional/plot potential of having Spider-Man and Prowler know who each other were while still doing their thing.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:20 AM

well it won best animated film at the Oscars
Old 02-25-2019, 10:35 AM

As well it should have.

Glad to see that Pixar simply making a movie doesn't make it a lock to win because Incredibles 2 and Ralph 2 were very subpar.

Also Phil Lord and Christopher Miller get a much deserved make-up call for the first Lego Movie (and, IMHO, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs)
Old 02-25-2019, 12:17 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The movie is still in theaters. It really has some legs.

Last edited by Ike Witt; 02-25-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
The proportional legs of a spider?
Old 04-07-2019, 06:06 PM

Ok, I know this thread and topic have more or less fallen off the front page, but since I really enjoyed the movie at the theater, I picked it up last night for home viewing. Something that struck me, Dr. Octavius. Every time she was on screen, in my head I was saying that she was Jenny Slate as Dr. Firth. Am I the only one who went there. I don't mean as a character, but visually, Dr. Olivia Octavius and Dr. Firth from Venom look very similar to me. I can easily imagine Jenny Slate in the role.

Last edited by DorkVader; 04-07-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
I have been meaning to see it in 3D, probably going to try and do so while it's at the dollar theater.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:42 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
The only problem I had with the visual style of the movie was the herky jerky motion, which didn't make it look like a comic book (which most of the other stylized elements seemed to be aiming for), but like a mid-ranged video game. (Though that did fit with the glitching thing, it doesn't seem to be intentional, since that's the only element that went toward that...)

And this movie makes me lament non-comics superhero media's tendency to kill off the villains more than most.

Goblin...OK, offing him was fine. He pretty much ran his course early on.

But... Doc Ock looked like an interesting take, apparently maintaining her legitimate scientific work even after becoming a supervillain.

And Prowler! Killing him off gave a brief emotional moment for both Miles and his dad, but...it didn't really pay off - certainly not to the extent that would justify getting rid of the emotional/plot potential of having Spider-Man and Prowler know who each other were while still doing their thing.
It honestly never occurred to me that Doc Ock was killed by that bus. Seems something that would be super-easy to retcon in a sequel, if they want - the bus knocked her out/into another alternate dimension, but didn't kill her.

Prowler absolutely had to die. Every Spider-Person needs the death of a beloved relation to inspire them to be superheroes. And uncles are the traditional favorite.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:14 PM

Spider-Verse 2 is coming! https://twitter.com/SpiderVerse/stat...73194374377472

Ok, not for like 29 months, but it's coming!