Old 10-23-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
I can believe it. Tulsi has a ridiculous throng of Twitter bots.
I read that as "thong of Twitter bots." I'm so glad I read that wrong.

On topic, though, I have to wonder about Hillary stepping into the public eye again. She's still polarizing, and I can see her resurfacing being used as a bullet for the GOP for

"See what the Democrats are doing? Hillary is still trying to interfere in the election. 'Crooked' Hillary Clinton is trying to rig the election, folks! She can't accept that I won by a landslide, so she's trying to find a way to overturn the election. Sad! #neverhillary #trump2020
Old 10-23-2019, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

I didn't mention this before, but I think it's important:

Hillary made a major mistake by criticizing Gabbard in this way. Not because she is wrong that Russia is promoting Gabbard for their own ends -- clearly that is a fact. Hillary made an unforced error because she raised Gabbard's profile at a time when people were starting to forget about her. Streisand effect and all.

Hillary should stay out of the 2020 race. Lose twice, one inexcusably so, and you are dunzo.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:16 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
Has Hillary Clinton lost her fucking mind? All this Russian asset stuff seems like a wild conspiracy theory to me....
There is rather a lot of evidence it's true.

The notion of being an "asset" does not mean Tulsi Gabbard is knowingly working for the Russians. She's not. It could mean simply that Russian money and social media assets are pumping her campaign up in an effort to cause division - hell, they may be doing it openly to have it deliberately come out that they're doing it to cause the very arguments we're seeing play out. I'd say it's very, very likely they're doing this.

It could also mean Gabbard is an active useful idiot - that the Russians are influencing her, and/or persons in her inner circle, to do things beneficial to them and harmful to the USA. That is possible but very unlikely, simply because I can't think of why they'd bother. Given the hordes of Democrats who ran for President, it was certain one would already be a doofus and friendly towards a dictator or two.

Of course Gabbard is not meeting with Sergei the Spy in a smoky cafe somewhere.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
I didn't mention this before, but I think it's important:

Hillary made a major mistake by criticizing Gabbard in this way. Not because she is wrong that Russia is promoting Gabbard for their own ends -- clearly that is a fact. Hillary made an unforced error because she raised Gabbard's profile at a time when people were starting to forget about her. Streisand effect and all.

Hillary should stay out of the 2020 race. Lose twice, one inexcusably so, and you are dunzo.
Shit, it's October. By December, Gabbard will see that bump from >1% to 1.5% settle back down to >1%.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Shit, damned "<>" signs. Like the spelling of parallel or the pronunciation of aluminum, that's one of those things my brain always trips on.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post

The notion of being an "asset" does not mean Tulsi Gabbard is knowingly working for the Russians. She's not. It could mean simply that Russian money and social media assets are pumping her campaign up in an effort to cause division - hell, they may be doing it openly to have it deliberately come out that they're doing it to cause the very arguments we're seeing play out. I'd say it's very, very likely they're doing this.

It could also mean Gabbard is an active useful idiot - that the Russians are influencing her, and/or persons in her inner circle, to do things beneficial to them and harmful to the USA. That is possible but very unlikely, simply because I can't think of why they'd bother. Given the hordes of Democrats who ran for President, it was certain one would already be a doofus and friendly towards a dictator or two.

This is why sound bites are dangerous. Basically all I heard was the headline, and it just sounded nuts. With your explanation, it makes more sense. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:

Hillary is a 'useful idiot' for Russia. They start some online activity that on the surface appears to be an attempt to help Gabbard, but the real purpose was to provoke a response by Hillary Clinton, fracturing the Democrats some and weakening the party vis-a-vis Trump. Now I'm seeing posts seriously wondering if Hillary will try for the nomination again.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, that was it. They support Gabbard to goade Clinton into making a side comment in a friend's podcast. My God, they're good!
Old 10-23-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
... Not because she is wrong that Russia is promoting Gabbard for their own ends -- clearly that is a fact. Hillary made an unforced error because she raised Gabbard's profile at a time when people were starting to forget about her. Streisand effect and all.

I really think that it was said exactly right earlier: Clinton has no fucks to give. She’s like the older relative who just says what she thinks now. The impact it has? I don’t think she gives a shit.

She’s right, and she’s right to think that attention to Russian machinations should be paid. Her saying it, and saying it how she said it, very much the wrong thing to do. But IMHO she don’t care.

She’d have been a good president but she’s an awful losing candidate and a worse party elder. Smart yes, wise no.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
She’d have been a good president but she’s an awful losing candidate and a worse party elder. Smart yes, wise no.
That's giving her far too much benefit of the doubt. Her displays as a bad losing candidate and party elder raise a lot of doubt how good a President she would have been. It wouldn't have been all sunny days in office.

I guess must add "still better than Trump" to at least cut down on the people who will rush to point that out to me.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Of course Gabbard is not meeting with Sergei the Spy in a smoky cafe somewhere.
Have you heard about the Gabbard "Kill Moose and Squirrel!" Bill?
Old 10-25-2019, 09:47 AM

Gabbard to Hannity:
"Appearing on “Hannity” Thursday, the presidential candidate said she originally supported the inquiry, but she stressed the need for transparency.

“I don't know what's going on in those closed doors,” Gabbard said. “We as members of Congress do not have access to the information that's being shared. I think the American people deserve to know exactly what the facts are, what the evidence is being presented as this inquiry goes on.”
(Warning: Link goes to Faux)
https://www.foxnews.com/media/dem-tu...e-closed-doors
Old 10-25-2019, 09:51 AM

Very possible that Tulsi is angling for a show on Fox news. She denounces David Duke's endorsement, but has no compunction about aiding and abetting another white supremacist (if a tad more subtle than Duke) Tucker Carlson on his show, as well as Trump bestie (and fellow aider/abetter of white supremacists) Sean Hannity. Still no traction with the Democratic primary electorate, thankfully, but she has a real future in right-wing infotainment.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 10-25-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Very possible that Tulsi is angling for a show on Fox news. She denounces David Duke's endorsement, but has no compunction about aiding and abetting another white supremacist (if a tad more subtle than Duke) Tucker Carlson on his show, as well as Trump bestie (and fellow aider/abetter of white supremacists) Sean Hannity. Still no traction with the Democratic primary electorate, thankfully, but she has a real future in right-wing infotainment.
Yes, you may be on to something, there.

Certainly she has to know the Democratic Party is never going to embrace her. A job with conservative media after her (inevitable?) 3rd-party candidacy spoils the election enough to keep Trump in office, may be her game-plan.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:52 PM

As a "nuts and bolts" question, don't a lot of states have so-called "sore loser" laws that would prevent a person defeated in the primary from running as a 3rd party candidate?
Old 10-26-2019, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Every new item of news about her further goes to show that you just can't trust her. She is obviously hiding something behind that disingenuous façade. What we do know she's hiding is her substantial ties with the Science of Identity homophobic, Islamophobic authoritarian hate cult. Makes you wonder what else she's hiding. Even though her cult involvement has been thoroughly exposéed by investigative journalism, most of the official public mention of her still seems reluctant to say the emperor has no clothes on.

There's on ongoing battle royal behind the scenes at Wikipedia, because Gabbard partisan editors are exploiting Wikipedia's rule that you're not allowed to say the emperor has no clothes on unless the emperor publicly says in a reliable source, "I'm totally not wearing any clothes, yo." They're fighting tooth and nail to exclude any mention of Butler and his cult from any article concerning Gabbard.

Papa Mike Gabbard is an even bigger emperor with no clothes, since his active involvement in the Butler hate cult is exhaustively documented, but many commentators still credit his cover story about being "Roman Catholic."
Old 10-26-2019, 02:27 PM

Tulsi announcing she won't run for reelection to her Congressional seat sure sounds like she's going to make a third party run.
And when she doesn't win that, she can go to work for RT.
Old 10-26-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
As a "nuts and bolts" question, don't a lot of states have so-called "sore loser" laws that would prevent a person defeated in the primary from running as a 3rd party candidate?
Usually doesn't apply to presidential candidates. Don't know if these have been tested for constitutionality, specifically for senate and house elections. Not sure if it should matter in state elections.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

And not too sure she has actually lost anything, yet, to be honest
Old 10-26-2019, 03:32 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
You got me there. Bote isn't even an asset for the Cubs.
Bote is quite a good player stuck on a team that doesn't have a full time role for him.

I don't know why the Blue Jays haven't traded for him yet, but I would assume it's because they're stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen
Tulsi announcing she won't run for reelection to her Congressional seat sure sounds like she's going to make a third party run.
And when she doesn't win that, she can go to work for RT.
Gabbard is apparently facing a rough primary challenge and she cannot actually be stupid enough to think she has a shot as being President, so it's not so much that she's going to go work for Fox News/RT if things don't work out politically. She is doing what she's doing to go work for Fox News/RT, straight up. That's why she's on Fox all the time.

Last edited by RickJay; 10-26-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:14 AM
Elephant Whisperer

I'd still vote for her over a Republican. Now that she's not running for reelection, that makes the Dem choice more palatable here in Hawaii.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

It's likely that the ongoing stream of exposés of her very questionable background has convinced her that her cover story is ultimately not going to work, that her campaign cannot much longer survive all the investigative work by journalists like Christine Gralow. In retrospect, it seems terribly naïve that Gabbard thought her façade would hold up through the electoral year when it's already crumbling now.

She may have been holding this exit strategy in reserve. Time to deploy plan B.