Old 03-19-2019, 10:48 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Not exactly itty-bitty, but seven seconds of transcendent beauty.

Back in the early days of the 70's ragtime revival I studied Scott Joplin's work for a while. I've listened to all of his pieces at least once, some of them hundreds of times. For me his most breathtaking harmonic moment occurs in Fig Leaf Rag. Now I've gotten old, and can no longer name one of the chords in the passage I'm about to reference, so I'll designate that one chord as xxx. If any of you can identify the chord for me (and correct other errors I might have made) I'd appreciate it.

In one seven-second passage the rag progresses through E-flat MAJ, G-flat MAJ, G-(natural) DIM, A-flat MIN, E-flat MIN, xxx, B-flat 7, E-flat MAJ. I've always found the effect to one of powerfully moving bittersweet nostalgia.

The magic moment occurs twice, at 3:45 and again at 4:15. Hope you like it. If you don't, be nice anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVI7sVeLMYI
Old 03-19-2019, 10:56 PM

Two come to mind for me; perhaps mundane (I have minimal musical knowledge, just know what I like).

First is John Mellencamp "Paper in Fire", which is my favorite of his songs, but the fiddle part which reoccurs several times during the song just gets me. At 1:08 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myo9wXrNUP4&t=1m08s

And "The Devil Went Down to Georgia with the unforgettable "I done told you once, you son of a bitch, I'm the best thats ever been" followed immediately by the fiddle playing expertise of Mr. Daniels. At 2:50 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh7B...&t=2m50s<br />

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 03-19-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:48 AM

I like the bit in "Pet Sounds" where it sounds like a fart.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:56 AM

The second guitar solo in Television - Elevation. (3:01)

When the titular part of Stone Roses - I am the Resurrection finally kicks in.

Led Zeppelin - When the Levee Breaks (2:41)

Raconteurs - Carolina Drama, at the later part of the build-up (3:43)

The XX - Infinity, "Give it up" part at the end.

Weezer - Say It Ain't So, "This bottle of Stevens" part

Coldplay - Fix You, 3:02 forward

Metallica - Creeping Death, "Die by my hand" part, including the guitar just before.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - You Should've Lied, 3:20-3:40

Tool - Reflection, 8:50 and forward.

Tool - Schism, "between supposed lovers"

Wilco - The Late Greats (Live In Chicago), solo at 1:33

Isis - Carry, 4:04

David Bowie - 5 years, The titular part, first time.

(From https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...&postcount=107)

Last edited by mr. jp; 03-20-2019 at 02:57 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtrash View Post
I listen for "squeaks" from the re-positioning of the guitarist's fingers. Is there a musical term for this?

Notable squeaky songs would be Wish You Were Here, and Every Breath You Take. Lots more, but those are two of my favorites.
Related : hearing a cellist's fingertips tapping the fingerboard when playing. Sexy.

I haven't checked this particular link, but I remember this being quite noticeable in Pieter Wispelwey's second recording of the Bach Cello Suites
Et d’où ma vie s’égoutte au moindre mouvement
Old 03-20-2019, 06:11 AM

This break in Mask by Bauhaus.
The way Joy Division's Ian Curtis sings "There's nothing there at all" in 24 Hours
The trumpet coming into Billy Bragg's Levi Stubbs' Tears
Old 03-20-2019, 06:50 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Sadly, that takes me to a link that says "Video unavailable."

I can say that it's at about 2:45 on the Singles & 45s version of the song.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
The trumpet coming into Billy Bragg's Levi Stubbs' Tears
Forgot the link...
Old 03-20-2019, 08:07 AM

I love this part of Here Comes the Sun as the synth? music gets brighter with each repetition. It's downright gorgeous.

Also, dream time from R.E.M.'s Get Up

The guitar throughout the Allman Brothers' Sweet Melissa, especially this run.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scougs View Post
From that description, I *knew* which two notes it was going to be. In a 9 minute song.
I have no idea why it always puts a smile on my face. It's such a lighthearted moment in an otherwise serious song.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkster View Post
This line from the Turtles' "Happy Together"
https://youtu.be/mRCe5L1imxg?t=72

I asked someone who had taken a couple of music theory classes, what makes it so striking? I think they said something about chromatics or key change?

JohnT, I love that bit from Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante!

Oh My God! I have never seen a video of The Turtles. What a bunch of dorky looking, wonderful musicians! The 60's clothes are just marvelous. I grinned through the whole thing. Love that song. It also reminds me of Zappa and the Mothers of Invention Live at the Fillmore East when they do that song after Do You Like My New Car? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQGNUGbziBg&t=31m14s The bullet? The bullet!!! LOL!
Old 03-20-2019, 08:24 AM

Another one I've just thought of : in Suzanne Vega's Marlene on the Wall (great song by the way), she does a very peculiar thing with her voice. If you listen to the first chorus (0:26 - 0:46), her voice is soft throughout. But for the next two (0:59 - 1:19 and 1:52 - 2:12), her voice gradually becomes more "nasal" for lack of a better description, starting roughly midway through. The difference is pretty noticable when you jump form the very first seconds to the very last. I find this neat.
Et d’où ma vie s’égoutte au moindre mouvement
Old 03-20-2019, 08:50 AM

So many moments in the Beatles... 'Ticket to Ride', establishes this pattern of pausing in each refrain for Ringo to do a short roll on the toms. But in the final refrain, he just plays a single shot. It's like when Indiana Jones shoots the swordsman in 'Raiders'.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
A couple from The Cars:

The guitar bit just after the third "it's all mixed up" in "All Mixed Up." 43 seconds in...

The awesome break/segue from "Shooby Doo" to "Candy-O" on their second album.
In the same vein as your second example, the insane seque from "Friends" to "Celebration Day" on Led Zeppelin III.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Don McLean's American Pie

Helter skelter in a summer swelter
Where The Byrds flew off with a fallout shelter
Eight Miles high and falling faaaaaaassssst (a second's pause)

Now only does the faaaaaaassssst sound like something falling from the side, but in the second's pause I can see the byrd shit hitting the ground with a "splatt."

Another Beatles's one: All you need is love (dit-dit-dit-dit-dit) Fantastic use of horns.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
So many moments in the Beatles... 'Ticket to Ride', establishes this pattern of pausing in each refrain for Ringo to do a short roll on the toms. But in the final refrain, he just plays a single shot. It's like when Indiana Jones shoots the swordsman in 'Raiders'.
What I like about that one is how Ringo has that triplet-esque syncopated snare-tom pattern in the first two verses, but they tighten up on the third verse (after the bridge) to a straight rhythm. Nice little variation there. Somehow, I actually never really noticed it until playing through the song on Rock Band or Guitar Hero on the drums. Reading up on it, there seems to be some debate as to whether it was intentional or not. I prefer to think it was, but even if it wasn't, it's a nice bit of color.

Last edited by pulykamell; 03-20-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:24 AM

I have an itty-bitty 40 second song I love: Wasted by Black Flags. There are different recordings of the song, but this is the version I grew up with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27YUVIo4QSg

If I have to pick an itty-bit of the itty-bitty song, it would be the ending "I was so wasted, still am".

That song still gets me pumped up!
Old 03-20-2019, 12:00 PM

When Paul Cotton joined Poco, he brought some bluesy N'awlins chops with him. But they kept the tight background vocals of Rusty Young and Timothy B Schmit.

Nowhere more smooth than coming out of the slide/electric/pickin' guitar break on "Angel"... though I'd listen to the whole song.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:51 PM

Not a single moment, but a handful of short moments: Grohl's drum fills on "Everlong" totally make that song for me. There's something about the way he just uses rapid-fire snare hits to punctuate the emotion of the song that really, really works.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:53 PM

There is not a single sub-standard second of Everlong.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:41 PM

The piano riff at the start of Elton John's Levon. (The single version) Always have loved that intro.
The opening line of the last movement of Beethoven's 9th.
The opening theme of the Largo from Dvorak's 9th (from the new world)

Jim
Old 03-21-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores Reborn View Post
{...} It also reminds me of Zappa and the Mothers of Invention {...}
Assuming you don't already know,
Quote:
The Turtles' Howard Kaylan and Mark Volman (accompanied by Chip Douglas' replacement, bassist Jim Pons) joined the Mothers of Invention as The Phlorescent Leech & Eddie, since the use of the Turtles name (and even their own names in billings) was prohibited by their contract with White Whale Records. Flo & Eddie, as they soon became known, recorded albums with the Mothers and appeared in Frank Zappa's film 200 Motels in 1971...
CMC fnord!

Last edited by crowmanyclouds; 03-21-2019 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

I didn't know that! Thanks.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Don McLean's American Pie

Helter skelter in a summer swelter
Where The Byrds flew off with a fallout shelter
Eight Miles high and falling faaaaaaassssst (a second's pause)

Now only does the faaaaaaassssst sound like something falling from the side, but in the second's pause I can see the byrd shit hitting the ground with a "splatt."

Another Beatles's one: All you need is love (dit-dit-dit-dit-dit) Fantastic use of horns.
Speaking of falling, that reminds me of the haunting violin bit at the end of Ode to Billy Joe

" . . .and me I spend a lot of time picking flowers up on Choctaw ridge
and throwin' em in to the muddy waters of the Tallahatchie Bridge"
<cue the violin that perfectly evokes and image of something spiraling down into the river below. Perfect ending to a gorgeous song.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Fleetwood Mac: On the first line of the chorus, the female voices sing "You can go your own way," and the man kicks in "GO YOUR OWN WAY." I love the way he sings it.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:29 AM

In "Bad Company" the guitar "twang" after "...six gun sound..."

Dennis
Old 03-21-2019, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Just remembered two more:

1. Jimi Hendrix, "All Along the Watchtower," I believe from the Atlanta Freedom Pop Festival album, but definitely a live performance: at one point during the song, he says, "Yes, it's okay, I know I missed a verse" in the most completely "I'm doing this song my way, thank you very much" tone of voice. Badass.

2. Chuck Berry, "Johnny B. Goode," from the Rock 'n' Roll Rarities album, which includes two mis-takes before getting on with the song proper. The first take is Chuck starting the riff with something set wrong on his guitar (I think maybe the reverb is set too low, it sounds very "clean"). The second take is rocking right along until Chuck notices something that only Chuck could notice: the piano player is "makin' 'Roll Over Beethoven' on the piano." I mean, seriously, with the whole band playing live, do you think you could tell the difference between the piano part to "Roll Over Beethoven" and "Johnny B. Goode"? But that's not my favorite part: in the waaaaaay background you can hear someone ask "Who he talkin' about?" and then a beat later, and very shyly, "Oh." In my imagination, the speaker is the piano player, who has not heard Chuck's comment, and is answered with a finger pointed at him.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Hall & Oates "Private Eyes" (clap, clap) they're watching you. I love the clap, clap.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:48 AM

The transition in Tainted Love from the "tainted love" portion to "baby, baby, where did our love go?"
Old 03-21-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

This is an oddball, since it's not really a song, but a specific performance of a song. Harry Connick Jr was playing "Lucky Day" and the audience is clapping on the wrong beats! He inserts a 5th beat in a measure at 40 seconds of this clip and gets the audience back on the correct beats and they never noticed. But notice the bass player put his hands in the air when it succeeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UinRq_29jPk
Old 03-21-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Clappin' on the 1's and 3's again. White People!
Old 03-21-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

The Blues Brothers cover of Stand By Your Man. They are singing falsetto, "Please give him all the love you can," and then Elwood sings in a deep bass voice "Baby." Love it.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:32 AM
Shouting Grasshopper

At the very end of The Who's Happy Jack, "I saw ya"--Pete admonishing Moonie for disrupting the recording session. (In other words, being Moonie)

Last edited by blondebear; 03-21-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:26 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
The Blues Brothers cover of Stand By Your Man. They are singing falsetto, "Please give him all the love you can," and then Elwood sings in a deep bass voice "Baby." Love it.
Oooh, that reminded me of another one of my favorites. In Tracey Ullman's "They Don't Know" -- after the instrumental break, Tracey belts out a high-pitched "Baaaybeee!" (here's the link, at 1:52).
Old 03-21-2019, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Another Blues Brothers one: Areatha's "introduction" to her song: You better think about what you're doing. You better think." Better than the song
Old 03-21-2019, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Another Blues Brothers one: Areatha's "introduction" to her song: You better think about what you're doing. You better think." Better than the song
Even better is her comment after the song ends and everybody leaves: Shit.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:44 PM

One of my favorite songs of all time is Don Henley's, "The Boys of Summer" has this great line:

"Out on the road today I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac.
A little voice inside my head said:
"Don't look back, you can never look back."
I thought I knew what love was.
What did I know?
Those days are gone forever.
I should just let 'em go, but..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWT90HzLF3U
Old 03-21-2019, 03:02 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
Just remembered two more:

1. Jimi Hendrix, "All Along the Watchtower," I believe from the Atlanta Freedom Pop Festival album, but definitely a live performance: at one point during the song, he says, "Yes, it's okay, I know I missed a verse" in the most completely "I'm doing this song my way, thank you very much" tone of voice. Badass.
Monterey Pop Festival, "Like A Rolling Stone" at 5:35
https://vimeo.com/260364879
Old 03-21-2019, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
Monterey Pop Festival, "Like A Rolling Stone" at 5:35
https://vimeo.com/260364879
I stand corrected. Thanks. I had "Dylan cover" in my head, I guess.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
This is an oddball, since it's not really a song, but a specific performance of a song. Harry Connick Jr was playing "Lucky Day" and the audience is clapping on the wrong beats! He inserts a 5th beat in a measure at 40 seconds of this clip and gets the audience back on the correct beats and they never noticed. But notice the bass player put his hands in the air when it succeeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UinRq_29jPk
Yes, loved that video from the first time I saw it. I especially like that detail you mention of the bass player raising his hands in victory.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:20 PM

I've got a Deadhead sticker on my BMW.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:31 PM

The whew whew whew whew in I.G.Y.

Last edited by GreysonCarlisle; 03-21-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:37 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
I stand corrected. Thanks. I had "Dylan cover" in my head, I guess.
Well, your incidental error notwithstanding it's still a great example. As soon as I read your post I knew which moment you were talking about, as it's always been a favorite of mine for the same reasons. By that point in his performance the audience was in love with him.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post

The first thought that came to me is the little paradiddle-esque drum fill on "Sultans of Swing" after the verse "And says at last just as the time bell rings". Ever since I first heard that song back in high school or earlier, that fill has always tickled me.
Yes! Yes, yes, yesitty yes! Including the ding on the bell of the ride to illustrate the lyric. Terry Williams just hammered round the kit on the Alchemy version, but Pick Withers' original fill was beautiful. He always had that light, skippy touch (a bit like Vini Lopez vs. Max Weinberg...but that's another topic for another thread).
Old 03-21-2019, 07:35 PM

Bon Jovi "Livin' On A Prayer" changes tonality on the last repeat of the chorus, and I cannot help but sing along, at the top of my lungs:

" Ohh-oh, liiiiiving on a key change!
Take my hand ... "
Old 03-21-2019, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Pudding View Post
Yes! Yes, yes, yesitty yes! Including the ding on the bell of the ride to illustrate the lyric. Terry Williams just hammered round the kit on the Alchemy version, but Pick Withers' original fill was beautiful. He always had that light, skippy touch (a bit like Vini Lopez vs. Max Weinberg...but that's another topic for another thread).
Illustrating the Lyric_ I Love Momma Told me Not to Come. But just at the right moment, you hear a knock:The radio is blastin', someone's knockin' at the door
I'm lookin' at my girlfriend - she's passed out on the floor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKaQzQAlNn4
Old 03-21-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Oooh, that reminded me of another one of my favorites. In Tracey Ullman's "They Don't Know" -- after the instrumental break, Tracey belts out a high-pitched "Baaaybeee!" (here's the link, at 1:52).
Fun Fact: Tracey couldn't hit those high notes, so they lifted the "Baaay-beee!" from Kirsty MacColl's version of the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vQkf_sC0PI
Old 03-21-2019, 10:02 PM

Cassie 'Me and U'

When she sings the line "They heard I was good, they wanna see if it's true." "It's true" is overlapped in a higher pitch. So the question is asked and answered in the same line. "It's true".
Old 03-21-2019, 11:25 PM

I love the sound effect at the start of Everybody Wants to Rule the World. Apparently, it's called twinkling synth.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:15 PM

All of the drum fills in Benny Goodman's "Sing Sing Sing." The whole song is great, but I'm physically incapable of remaining still during the drum fills.