Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 06-05-2019, 03:26 PM
HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 14,949
Bernie Sanders provides an example of how to talk about socialism for his fellow Dems - disown its history:

Quote:
Sanders, I-Vt., dismissed the connection between the failed socialist states and his own vision for America, during an interview on Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show” Tuesday.

“Obviously, Soviet Union was an authoritarian society with no democratic rights, and I think if you know history, you know the democratic socialists fought and stood up against that,” the 2020 Democratic hopeful said.

“You can look at what existed in the Soviet Union or Venezuela, that is not what I’m talking about at all.”
That's right, Bernie thinks the "democratic socialists" fought against the USSR and Chavez / Maduro regimes. LOL!
  #102  
Old 06-05-2019, 03:28 PM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Good points and also raises an interesting question. How is it that forced collectivization be it called “radical” socialism or communism is not 1/100th as toxic as fascism? Especially with the historical body count associated with both of these systems of government. My guess would have to be that there is an ideological affinity for collectivism among academia and such that sugar coats the present and historical realities of that system.
Well, do you consider what we have to be as toxic as fascism? You pay taxes for social services.

That you choose to call paying taxes towards providing public services as "radical" socialism or communism doesn't make them so.
  #103  
Old 06-05-2019, 03:33 PM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Bernie Sanders provides an example of how to talk about socialism for his fellow Dems - disown its history:



That's right, Bernie thinks the "democratic socialists" fought against the USSR and Chavez / Maduro regimes. LOL!
Yeah, that army wasn't paid for by the people who voted for it to exist, right? LOLz all the way to anyone that didn't know that the we use all volunteer armies with private funding.

Or maybe you were missing the point that he was explaining what a democratic socialist was, but you are insisting that you already know.
  #104  
Old 06-05-2019, 03:47 PM
Richard Parker is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 12,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
That's right, Bernie thinks the "democratic socialists" fought against the USSR and Chavez / Maduro regimes. LOL!
Did they not? Cite?

I was under the impression that Democratic Socialists all across the West, but including in the US, were pretty clearly opposed to the Soviet system.
  #105  
Old 06-05-2019, 06:29 PM
neutro is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 152
I think the dems need to change the messaging if they want to get the middle voters to show up in the swing states. I hope to hell they slow down on this socialism branding because I don't think it helps one bit.
  #106  
Old 06-06-2019, 12:22 PM
sps49sd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Who says it's not "as toxic as fascism"? I hear my conservative acquaintances deriding liberals as communists just as often as I heary my liberal acquaintances deriding conservatives as fascists.
Because liberals have included those who expressed sympathy for Communists, have identified as Communists, and have been members of the CPUSA.

And as long as I'm replying to a post of yours; few people are going to see your medical care while on active duty as equivalent to Medicare for All. It was a benefit included with your job as an inducement to work for the USN (a particularly demanding job), while MfA is just another benefit perceived to be available for free to those who are not working/ earning it.
  #107  
Old 06-06-2019, 01:22 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by sps49sd View Post
Because liberals have included those who expressed sympathy for Communists, have identified as Communists, and have been members of the CPUSA.
I don't understand how this is relevant. Especially because "conservatives" have included those who expressed sympathy for fascists and even identified as fascists (or white supremacists, or white nationalists, or neo-Nazis, or some similar group).

Quote:
And as long as I'm replying to a post of yours; few people are going to see your medical care while on active duty as equivalent to Medicare for All. It was a benefit included with your job as an inducement to work for the USN (a particularly demanding job), while MfA is just another benefit perceived to be available for free to those who are not working/ earning it.
I didn't bring it up to show some sort of "equivalence" -- I brought it up to demonstrate that, factually, government can and does run a health care program that provides excellent care. So that anyone who says that government is incapable of this is factually wrong, and this is the evidence (which doesn't mean that all government health programs will necessarily be this good).
  #108  
Old 06-06-2019, 01:29 PM
Red Wiggler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,977
nm, screwed up a quote.

Last edited by Red Wiggler; 06-06-2019 at 01:30 PM.
  #109  
Old 06-06-2019, 04:05 PM
TimfromNapa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 193
In the 50s, didn't the British get around the S word by calling it "nationalization"? This, as in nationalized health care, nationalized petroleum, etc. Ironically, the hypocrites branded Iranian President Mossadegh a pinko when he attempted to nationalize his country's oil industry using the British system as a model.
  #110  
Old 06-06-2019, 05:30 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Well, do you consider what we have to be as toxic as fascism? You pay taxes for social services.
No. It's not bad paying taxes for public goods and services while fascism is quite unhealthy for quite a few folks.

Quote:
That you choose to call paying taxes towards providing public services as "radical" socialism or communism doesn't make them so.
Having a nation that respects private property and individual liberties while collecting taxes and spending on public goods is not the same as collectivism which includes socialism and communism. Public spending is not necessarily socialism. Trying to equate any public spending with socialism and then saying "look, public spending is ok therefore socialism is ok" is nothing more than a tricky rhetorical technique.

Last edited by octopus; 06-06-2019 at 05:30 PM.
  #111  
Old 06-06-2019, 06:59 PM
XT's Avatar
XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 35,615
Since this thread is still going, thought I'd link to this video on YouTube from VisualPolitik, that talks about Democratic Socialism, Ocasio-Cortez and the Nordic model, since it, again, illustrates to me the disconnect between Democrats, Americans in general, and what the Nordic states are and aren't wrt socialism...and the fact that a lot of the things AOC and Bernie advocate differ quite a bit from what the Nordic model actually is in a lot of cases (admittedly, a lot of what they want IS part of that model).
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
  #112  
Old 06-08-2019, 11:12 PM
Haldurson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
IMO, Democrats should emphasize that we already have a hybrid system, and have for many decades -- many of our institutions are socialized (i.e. run by the government -- whether local, state, or federal), and many non-socialized institutions and sectors are regulated by government. We should emphasize that some things (defense, fire-fighting, law enforcement, etc.) have been proven to be more effective and efficient when socialized, and other things are clearly more effective and efficient when delivered by the free market (entertainment and leisure, for example, as well as many tech industries), with many involving both government and the free market. We should reiterate that socialism shouldn't be feared, since it's been part of the American system since its founding.

IMO this should be the basis when beginning discussions of things like universal health care. If we're capitulating to the framework of black and white "socialist vs capitalist" debates, then we're going to lose those debates.
Not to mention the disaster that privatizing prisons turned out to be. Who would have guessed that incentivizing warehousing more and more people for long periods of time could have negative consequences?
  #113  
Old 06-09-2019, 06:53 PM
sps49sd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I don't understand how this is relevant. Especially because "conservatives" have included those who expressed sympathy for fascists and even identified as fascists (or white supremacists, or white nationalists, or neo-Nazis, or some similar group).
i don't understand how you don't see this is relevant because it is an exact answer to your quoted post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I didn't bring it up to show some sort of "equivalence" -- I brought it up to demonstrate that, factually, government can and does run a health care program that provides excellent care. So that anyone who says that government is incapable of this is factually wrong, and this is the evidence (which doesn't mean that all government health programs will necessarily be this good).
I do not agree the care in the USN was/ is '"excellent", it is really expensive, and the VA is probably more representative of how the gov't would run public care.

Last edited by sps49sd; 06-09-2019 at 06:54 PM.
  #114  
Old 06-09-2019, 07:22 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by sps49sd View Post
i don't understand how you don't see this is relevant because it is an exact answer to your quoted post.
My question was "Who says it's not "as toxic as fascism"?" If your answer is the truly minuscule portion of "liberals" who praise communism and advocate for "forced collectivism, then okay, but that's almost no one. Certainly not Bernie or AOC or any other prominent progressives.

Quote:
I do not agree the care in the USN was/ is '"excellent", it is really expensive, and the VA is probably more representative of how the gov't would run public care.
In my experience, it was excellent. As good or better than the health care I've received as a civilian (and much cheaper for the consumer in out-of-pocket spending, as well as hassle and paperwork).
  #115  
Old 06-09-2019, 07:56 PM
sps49sd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
My question was "Who says it's not "as toxic as fascism"?" If your answer is the truly minuscule portion of "liberals" who praise communism and advocate for "forced collectivism, then okay, but that's almost no one. Certainly not Bernie or AOC or any other prominent progressives.
Your next sentence was " I hear my conservative acquaintances deriding liberals as communists just as often as I hear my liberal acquaintances deriding conservatives as fascists." I'm saying there were actual Communist Party members among the group called 'liberals', and I am unaware of any real fascists among American conservatives. Which is why deriding liberals as 'communists' has more foundation than calling conservatives 'fascists'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
In my experience, it was excellent. As good or better than the health care I've received as a civilian (and much cheaper for the consumer in out-of-pocket spending, as well as hassle and paperwork).
Yes, you already said that was your experience.
When I called it expensive, I certainly did not mean your out of pocket expenses.
  #116  
Old 06-10-2019, 05:16 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by sps49sd View Post
Your next sentence was " I hear my conservative acquaintances deriding liberals as communists just as often as I hear my liberal acquaintances deriding conservatives as fascists." I'm saying there were actual Communist Party members among the group called 'liberals', and I am unaware of any real fascists among American conservatives. Which is why deriding liberals as 'communists' has more foundation than calling conservatives 'fascists'.
I'm aware of conservatives who are fascists. Your unawareness doesn't mean they don't exist. In my experience, there are significantly more neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and white nationalists than communists in the US, and the former groups can reasonably be characterized as fascist (and are just as conservative as communists are liberal).
__________________
My new novel Spindown

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 06-10-2019 at 05:17 AM.
  #117  
Old 06-10-2019, 08:30 AM
Ludovic is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 30,474
Exactly, and you'd have to broaden the label to include anarchists to get any comparable far-left violent rallies, and even if you do, the liberal Presidents don't say "i'm sure there are some good people among them."
  #118  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:15 AM
sps49sd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I'm aware of conservatives who are fascists. Your unawareness doesn't mean they don't exist. In my experience, there are significantly more neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and white nationalists than communists in the US, and the former groups can reasonably be characterized as fascist (and are just as conservative as communists are liberal).
'In your experience' is anecdotal, and anyone who disagrees with left positions gets labeled as neo-Nazi, white supremacists, and white nationalists, then you add "fascist" to them. I'm unconvinced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Exactly, and you'd have to broaden the label to include anarchists to get any comparable far-left violent rallies, and even if you do, the liberal Presidents don't say "i'm sure there are some good people among them."
Trump was talking about the people on both sides of the statue debate. I'm sure everyone who wanted to keep the statues were fascists, right? and therefore can be safely dismissed.
  #119  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:43 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by sps49sd View Post
'In your experience' is anecdotal, and anyone who disagrees with left positions gets labeled as neo-Nazi, white supremacists, and white nationalists, then you add "fascist" to them. I'm unconvinced.
And I'm unconvinced by your anecdotal reports.

Quote:
Trump was talking about the people on both sides of the statue debate. I'm sure everyone who wanted to keep the statues were fascists, right? and therefore can be safely dismissed.
Anyone who marched alongside those chanting "Jews will not replace us!" and carrying swastika flags (and much more!) can reasonably be characterized as, at best, Nazi/fascist tolerant. I don't believe anyone who is tolerant of Nazi-ism and fascism is a "good person", but YMMV.
  #120  
Old 06-10-2019, 12:08 PM
HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 14,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
... In my experience, there are significantly more neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and white nationalists than communists in the US...
Why should anyone accept your limited experience with a minute fraction of the American populace as indicative of a national trend?

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
And I'm unconvinced by your anecdotal reports. ...

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 06-10-2019 at 12:08 PM.
  #121  
Old 06-10-2019, 04:11 PM
sps49sd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post

Anyone who marched alongside those chanting "Jews will not replace us!" and carrying swastika flags (and much more!) can reasonably be characterized as, at best, Nazi/fascist tolerant. I don't believe anyone who is tolerant of Nazi-ism and fascism is a "good person", but YMMV.
You are changing what was brought up. Trump referred to people on both sides of the stature debate, you are moving to the much smaller group of wannabe Nazis (self proclaimed with their regalia) and whatever the chant was/ who was chanting (I have not heard the recording; I have heard they were saying YOU will not replace us, but whatever).

I know we have differences, but describing all or most Republicans and/ or right of center Americans as fascists is a calumny and, worse, avoids any resolution of our differences.
  #122  
Old 06-10-2019, 04:14 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by sps49sd View Post
You are changing what was brought up. Trump referred to people on both sides of the stature debate, you are moving to the much smaller group of wannabe Nazis (self proclaimed with their regalia) and whatever the chant was/ who was chanting (I have not heard the recording; I have heard they were saying YOU will not replace us, but whatever).



I know we have differences, but describing all or most Republicans and/ or right of center Americans as fascists is a calumny and, worse, avoids any resolution of our differences.
I'm talking about the people who marched at Charlottesville, and so was Trump.
__________________
My new novel Spindown
  #123  
Old 06-10-2019, 04:28 PM
WillFarnaby is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Exactly, and you'd have to broaden the label to include anarchists to get any comparable far-left violent rallies, and even if you do, the liberal Presidents don't say "i'm sure there are some good people among them."
Are antifa anarchists?
  #124  
Old 06-11-2019, 01:20 AM
sps49sd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I'm talking about the people who marched at Charlottesville, and so was Trump.
Yeah. https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...of_139815.html

An excerpt:

"Here are the unambiguous actual words of President Trump:

“Excuse me, they didn’t put themselves down as neo-Nazis, and you had some very bad people in that group. But you also had people that were very fine people on both sides. You had people in that group – excuse me, excuse me, I saw the same pictures you did. You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down of, to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name.”

After another question at that press conference, Trump became even more explicit:

“I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and white nationalists because they should be condemned totally.”"

Last edited by sps49sd; 06-11-2019 at 01:21 AM.
  #125  
Old 06-11-2019, 03:28 AM
UnwittingAmericans is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 374
Democrats should talk about socialism the same way they would talk about pedophilia.
  #126  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:19 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by sps49sd View Post
Yeah. https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...of_139815.html

An excerpt:

"Here are the unambiguous actual words of President Trump:

“Excuse me, they didn’t put themselves down as neo-Nazis, and you had some very bad people in that group. But you also had people that were very fine people on both sides. You had people in that group – excuse me, excuse me, I saw the same pictures you did. You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down of, to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name.”

After another question at that press conference, Trump became even more explicit:

“I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and white nationalists because they should be condemned totally.”"
You know what to call people who march alongside Nazis who are wearing and carrying Nazi/racist flags and regalia? Nazis.

Not "very fine people". The marchers were Nazis, racists, and white supremacists. Trump's explanation is bullshit.
__________________
My new novel Spindown
  #127  
Old 06-11-2019, 06:14 AM
Ludovic is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 30,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
You know what to call people who march alongside Nazis who are wearing and carrying Nazi/racist flags and regalia? Nazis.

Not "very fine people". The marchers were Nazis, racists, and white supremacists. Trump's explanation is bullshit.
I'm not one to take that first paragraph too far, but it's definitely appropriate in a rally called "Unite the Right": those who did not want to be considered "united" with Nazis should not have come.
  #128  
Old 06-11-2019, 11:58 AM
Sam Stone is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 28,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
You know what to call people who march alongside Nazis who are wearing and carrying Nazi/racist flags and regalia? Nazis.

Not "very fine people". The marchers were Nazis, racists, and white supremacists. Trump's explanation is bullshit.
So if you march with Communists, does that make you a Communist? Because I have seen Communists marching at a lot of left-wing marches.
  #129  
Old 06-11-2019, 12:06 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
So if you march with Communists, does that make you a Communist? Because I have seen Communists marching at a lot of left-wing marches.
If the communists are dominating the march, shouting communist slogans, and carrying well known communist imagery on flags, then IMO, yes, you can be reasonably characterized as a communist (or communist-enabler).
  #130  
Old 06-11-2019, 03:29 PM
sps49sd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
You know what to call people who march alongside Nazis who are wearing and carrying Nazi/racist flags and regalia? Nazis.

Not "very fine people". The marchers were Nazis, racists, and white supremacists. Trump's explanation is bullshit.
Okay, I'll repeat:

After another question at that press conference, Trump became even more explicit:

“I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and white nationalists because they should be condemned totally.”

I'd like someone better to be President, too, but focus on something substantial that doesn't sound to others as fake news. There are real issues with Trump, and this isn't one to beat him with. (Neither is 'collusion'. IMHO.)
  #131  
Old 06-11-2019, 03:32 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by sps49sd View Post
Okay, I'll repeat:

After another question at that press conference, Trump became even more explicit:

“I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and white nationalists because they should be condemned totally.”

I'd like someone better to be President, too, but focus on something substantial that doesn't sound to others as fake news. There are real issues with Trump, and this isn't one to beat him with. (Neither is 'collusion'. IMHO.)
Trump's a liar, which shouldn't be news to anyone. He praised the Charlottesville "Unite the Right" marchers; the Charlottesville "Unite the Right" marchers were white supremacists and neo-Nazis. He praised white supremacists and neo-Nazis.
  #132  
Old 06-12-2019, 12:53 PM
sps49sd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Trump's a liar, which shouldn't be news to anyone. He praised the Charlottesville "Unite the Right" marchers; the Charlottesville "Unite the Right" marchers were white supremacists and neo-Nazis. He praised white supremacists and neo-Nazis.
We are going to remain in disagreement, then.
  #133  
Old 06-12-2019, 12:54 PM
ElvisL1ves is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by sps49sd View Post
We are going to remain in disagreement, then.
Except that one of you is arguing with the facts, the other against them.
  #134  
Old 11-04-2019, 09:42 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,868
Bumping this with an interesting article that mirrors the arguments I've made:

https://www.thenation.com/article/so...ates-military/

Quote:
The US Military Is a Socialist Organization
Affordable housing and food, tuition assistance, and universal health care are hallmarks of a social welfare system—and life in the armed forces.
  #135  
Old 11-04-2019, 10:13 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 62,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
IMO, Democrats should emphasize that we already have a hybrid system, and have for many decades -- many of our institutions are socialized (i.e. run by the government -- whether local, state, or federal), and many non-socialized institutions and sectors are regulated by government. We should emphasize that some things (defense, fire-fighting, law enforcement, etc.) have been proven to be more effective and efficient when socialized, and other things are clearly more effective and efficient when delivered by the free market (entertainment and leisure, for example, as well as many tech industries), with many involving both government and the free market. We should reiterate that socialism shouldn't be feared, since it's been part of the American system since its founding.

IMO this should be the basis when beginning discussions of things like universal health care. If we're capitulating to the framework of black and white "socialist vs capitalist" debates, then we're going to lose those debates.
Way to break the KISS rule.
The Republicans will respond with something like "See! Democrats have been letting Socialism creep into our system for decades, and a lot of the time they were the instigators!"
  #136  
Old 11-04-2019, 10:20 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Way to break the KISS rule.
Okay -- a simpler argument: "We've always been partially socialist".
  #137  
Old 11-04-2019, 10:26 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 62,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Okay -- a simpler argument: "We've always been partially socialist".
Republican response: "And we are the only ones that can fix that defect. We can make America great!"
  #138  
Old 11-04-2019, 11:09 AM
AHunter3's Avatar
AHunter3 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: NY (Manhattan) NY USA
Posts: 20,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
If we're capitulating to the framework of black and white "socialist vs capitalist" debates, then we're going to lose those debates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Too much of the electorate sees things in only black and white and cannot distinguish any shade of gray. To them, socialism=communism=evil and whether it's 100% socialism or 1% socialism is immaterial.
Agree with both points, and I think the response should be to hoist the conservative right on their own petard.

They've defined "socialist" to the American public as meaning "a dictatorship runs things and everything is run by the state".

Initiatives like universal health care should be billed as akin to the interstate highway system or having a police force.

The current clown-in-chief should be called a socialist. He's a puppet of the Russians, he aspires to dictatorship, and he wants to run everything instead of letting the states go their own direction.
  #139  
Old 11-04-2019, 11:12 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Republican response: "And we are the only ones that can fix that defect. We can make America great!"
That's a weak argument, IMO.
__________________
My new novel Spindown
  #140  
Old 11-04-2019, 11:29 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 62,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
That's a weak argument, IMO.
Listen carefully: You need to understand that the target of the message is not yourself, and it is not those who already agree with you. It is those out there with busy lives and little time for detail. If you want a message to stick, you need to get it in first(and often), and you need to keep it very simple. Every damn time a Democrat mentions the word "Socialism" in response to the Republican message it reinforces the original simple message the Republicans have already implanted. If you need to talk about programs you support, do NOT do it as a response to what the Republicans say, do NOT use the same words that have already been successfully demonized, keep if simple, and repeat that same simple original message until it sticks.
  #141  
Old 11-04-2019, 11:30 AM
HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 14,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
... The current clown-in-chief should be called a socialist. ...
That's not going to come across as very convincing when actual socialists are running for the dem nomination.
  #142  
Old 11-04-2019, 11:41 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Listen carefully: You need to understand that the target of the message is not yourself, and it is not those who already agree with you. It is those out there with busy lives and little time for detail. If you want a message to stick, you need to get it in first(and often), and you need to keep it very simple. Every damn time a Democrat mentions the word "Socialism" in response to the Republican message it reinforces the original simple message the Republicans have already implanted. If you need to talk about programs you support, do NOT do it as a response to what the Republicans say, do NOT use the same words that have already been successfully demonized, keep if simple, and repeat that same simple original message until it sticks.
Ha! Another internet stranger who is certain he has the answer to a challenging question. I remain unconvinced by internet strangers who are certain, and insistent with their certainty.

I don't know if my answer is right on this, but it makes sense to me, and it's been an effective argument with conservatives in my real life. So I think it's worth talking about. If you're certain I'm wrong, then that's fine, but strongly (and arrogantly, IMO) worded certainty from a stranger on the internet is not likely to be convincing to me.
__________________
My new novel Spindown
  #143  
Old 11-04-2019, 11:51 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 62,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Ha! Another internet stranger who is certain he has the answer to a challenging question. I remain unconvinced by internet strangers who are certain, and insistent with their certainty.

I don't know if my answer is right on this, but it makes sense to me, and it's been an effective argument with conservatives in my real life. So I think it's worth talking about. If you're certain I'm wrong, then that's fine, but strongly (and arrogantly, IMO) worded certainty from a stranger on the internet is not likely to be convincing to me.
An internet stranger who is sure he has the answer puts down internet strangers who claim to have the answer. I'm just using stuff I managed to retain from several marketing courses, coupled with I've observed over the last few elections, but since you've managed to convince some conservatives in person...so be it.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 11-04-2019 at 11:51 AM.
  #144  
Old 11-04-2019, 11:54 AM
Bone's Avatar
Bone is offline
Extrajudicial
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Bumping this with an interesting article that mirrors the arguments I've made:

https://www.thenation.com/article/so...ates-military/
The article is pretty poor, IMO. The military is socialist is misleadingly simplistic. The socialist aspects of the military that are identified are more like compensation. The purpose of the military is for defense, and to project force, among other things. To do that, they compensate those who volunteer via various means.

The purpose of the things that are typically negatively characterized as socialist is simply to provide those things - the socialistic aspects are the goal.

These are quite different once you get past surface level comparisons.

Last edited by Bone; 11-04-2019 at 11:54 AM.
  #145  
Old 11-04-2019, 12:00 PM
HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 14,949
I agree with Bone. The military doesn't allow the sick, disabled, elderly, or out of shape to join in the first place. Other than a highly authoritarian structure, I don't think it is much of a "socialist" organization.
  #146  
Old 11-04-2019, 12:02 PM
E-DUB's Avatar
E-DUB is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,857
Point out to people that the Republicans have been beating this drum for a long time. Cite this quote from Harry Truman........."Taft explained that the great issue in this campaign is “creeping socialism.” Now that is the patented trademark of the special interest lobbies. Socialism is a scare word they have hurled at every advance the people have made in the last 20 years. Socialism is what they called public power. Socialism is what they called social security. Socialism is what they called farm price supports. Socialism is what they called bank deposit insurance. Socialism is what they called the growth of free and independent labor organizations. Socialism is their name for almost anything that helps all the people."

I know that resistance to change is a defining characteristic of conservatism, but geeze..........
  #147  
Old 11-04-2019, 12:24 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
The article is pretty poor, IMO. The military is socialist is misleadingly simplistic. The socialist aspects of the military that are identified are more like compensation. The purpose of the military is for defense, and to project force, among other things. To do that, they compensate those who volunteer via various means.

The purpose of the things that are typically negatively characterized as socialist is simply to provide those things - the socialistic aspects are the goal.

These are quite different once you get past surface level comparisons.
Of course the argument is simplistic! That's a feature, not a bug. In reality, like most aspects of our government and society, there are aspects of the military that are socialist-ish and aspects that are not.

And this, of course, depends on the meaning of socialist, which varies widely. But if universal health care is socialist, then active military health care is socialist. If universal housing is socialist, then active military housing is socialist.

My point is about making effective arguments in a political context. That means, sometimes, making things simplistic.
__________________
My new novel Spindown
  #148  
Old 11-04-2019, 12:26 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
An internet stranger who is sure he has the answer puts down internet strangers who claim to have the answer. I'm just using stuff I managed to retain from several marketing courses, coupled with I've observed over the last few elections, but since you've managed to convince some conservatives in person...so be it.
I appreciate your input and your opinion, and it's okay to disagree. I recognize that my argument won't work on everyone, and I don't advocate a single argument be used for everyone and in all circumstances. I think my argument could be another tool that might be appropriate in some circumstances.
__________________
My new novel Spindown
  #149  
Old 11-04-2019, 12:39 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 62,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I appreciate your input and your opinion, and it's okay to disagree. I recognize that my argument won't work on everyone, and I don't advocate a single argument be used for everyone and in all circumstances. I think my argument could be another tool that might be appropriate in some circumstances.
Your argument might work with individuals because you have their attention and you have their time...and there is always the possibility that they are agreeing with you just to end the conversation. But unless you have slotted time each day to reinforce your message with each of the people you think you have convinced then that message will soon be overwritten by the same media they listen to every day.
  #150  
Old 11-04-2019, 12:48 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Your argument might work with individuals because you have their attention and you have their time...and there is always the possibility that they are agreeing with you just to end the conversation. But unless you have slotted time each day to reinforce your message with each of the people you think you have convinced then that message will soon be overwritten by the same media they listen to every day.
This would seem to be an argument for not bothering to try.

Sometimes I try, and sometimes I try different arguments. On the topic of socialism, this one has been by far the most effective for me. YMMV, and that's fine. What arguments have been most effective on this topic in your personal experience?
__________________
My new novel Spindown
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017